Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Jhet posted:

There's only 7 teams in the conference, of course they are. Everyone does because why not? Big10 hockey is just bad as a conference. I liked it better when some of the teams didn't actually get to play in it. Made the regular season feel like it meant something other than just seeding.

I'm mostly just surprised that Minnesota has only lost 3 games since they lost their starting goalie to the NHL. Not that they played many difficult weekends.
Exactly my point, make it the top 4 teams at most or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The full conference participating is fine, and makes for hilarious moments when some low seed does enough damage to a high one that they lose a couple pairwise points and miss out on the national tournament.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Fifty Three posted:

Exactly my point, make it the top 4 teams at most or something.

I really enjoyed the format of the WCHA Final Five when that still existed. Bring all the teams in, play a knock out weekend in one place and the 4/5 teams play to get in. So 2-3 games was super awesome, and having them in the same building meant they could fill the Xcel Energy center for 5 games in a weekend. It was a lot of fun as a fan, and I wouldn’t have had a single problem if they’d moved it around to other large rinks.

The format was a lot of fun and made it so the teams could play like they were as important as the high school tournament. The Big10 has two cities with rinks that large, and three if you consider Detroit close enough. So it’s not like they couldn’t make it happen.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jhet posted:

I really enjoyed the format of the WCHA Final Five when that still existed. Bring all the teams in, play a knock out weekend in one place and the 4/5 teams play to get in. So 2-3 games was super awesome, and having them in the same building meant they could fill the Xcel Energy center for 5 games in a weekend. It was a lot of fun as a fan, and I wouldn’t have had a single problem if they’d moved it around to other large rinks.

The format was a lot of fun and made it so the teams could play like they were as important as the high school tournament. The Big10 has two cities with rinks that large, and three if you consider Detroit close enough. So it’s not like they couldn’t make it happen.

This is assuming the current B1G teams have the same following as the old WCHA and, well, Minnesota and Wisconsin (when they don't suck) do, but...

E: holy poo poo Wisconsin's 9-22-3 this year and would still make a 5-team playoff in the B1G, lmao

But yeah, Notre Dame hockey does not have much of a following, Michigan State has been a garbage fire for decades now, and Ohio State's fanbase cares about exactly 1 sport and hockey is uh... not it. A "Final 5" in Detroit would absolutely not fill up regardless of who played. Minnesota and Michigan fans aren't going to care about the conference tournament at all when they're both already a lock for the national tournament.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 3, 2022

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DJExile posted:

This is assuming the current B1G teams have the same following as the old WCHA and, well, Minnesota and Wisconsin (when they don't suck) do, but...

E: holy poo poo Wisconsin's 9-22-3 this year and would still make a 5-team playoff in the B1G, lmao

But yeah, Notre Dame hockey does not have much of a following, Michigan State has been a garbage fire for decades now, and Ohio State's fanbase cares about exactly 1 sport and hockey is uh... not it. A "Final 5" in Detroit would absolutely not fill up regardless of who played. Minnesota and Michigan fans aren't going to care about the conference tournament at all when they're both already a lock for the national tournament.

Oh, no argument really. The reason it worked was because you'd get St Cloud, Duluth, Wisconsin, and North Dakota all driving in and filling it up. The Big10 is pretty terrible for hockey and there's no incentive for them to encourage it at all. I'm not sure it's really good for the programs, but maybe there's less travel.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jhet posted:

Oh, no argument really. The reason it worked was because you'd get St Cloud, Duluth, Wisconsin, and North Dakota all driving in and filling it up. The Big10 is pretty terrible for hockey and there's no incentive for them to encourage it at all. I'm not sure it's really good for the programs, but maybe there's less travel.

The B1G has a decent amount of travel involved (not quite the level of the WCHA having 2 Alaska teams and 1 in Alabama, but hey) but the schools can all afford it. Notre Dame is Notre Dame and everyone else are getting absurdly huge payouts from the Big Ten Network deal. Their two furthest apart teams are Minnesota and Penn State which is a pretty decent drive if they're going by bus but at least they're almost always weekend series

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Dammit I wanna watch OSU/PSU but heck if I'm gonna pay for B1G+ for two games :mad:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Man St Thomas has been in the lead twice.

Tech needed overtime but pulled out the win.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

DJExile posted:

The full conference participating is fine, and makes for hilarious moments when some low seed does enough damage to a high one that they lose a couple pairwise points and miss out on the national tournament.

gently caress jeff jakaitis inshallah

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Here's everything (so far)

CCHA - Best of 3 quarterfinals, single game semis, single game championship. All rounds on higher seed campus. Teams re-seeded 1-4 after quarterfinals.

#8 Tommies vs. #1 Minn State, Minn State leads 1-0
#5 NMU vs. #4 LSSU, Northern leads 1-0
#6 BG vs. #3 Bemidji, BG leads 1-0
#7 Ferris St. vs #2 Fightin' Nerds - Nerds lead 1-0

B1G - Best of 3 quarterfinals, single game semis, single game championship. All rounds on higher seed campus.
#1 Minnesota 1st rd bye
#4 OSU vs #5 Penn st, OSU leads 1-0
#3 ND vs #6 Wisconsin, Wisconsin leads 1-0
#2 Michigan vs #7 MSU, Mich leads 1-0

ECAC - Top 4 seeds receive first-round byes. Seeds 5-12 play best-of-3 on campus, first round. Re-seed for second round, seeds 1-4 host best-of-3 series. Winners play in semifinals and finals. Finals at Lake Placid.

#1 Q'Pac, #2 Clarkson, #3 Harvard, #4 Cornell on byes
#8 St. Lawrence vs #9 Brown, STL leads 1-0
#5 Colgate vs #12 Yale, 'gate leads 1-0
#6 RPI vs #11 Dartmouth, Dartmouth leads 1-0
#7 Union vs #10 Princeton, Union leads 1-0

*Fart Noises*
AIC will probably get another auto-bid they don't deserve

NCHC and Hockey East tournaments start next weekend.

NCHC - Best of 3 quarterfinals hosted at higher seed, single game semis and championship at Xcel Center.
NoDak has locked up the #1 seed, opponent TBD
Denver has the #2 seed, opponent TBD
#3 Western Michigan will host #6 Omaha

Hockey East - All single-elimination. First round for seeds 6-11. Re-seed for single game quarterfinals among remaining 8 teams. Re-seed for Semifinals and finals at TD Garden.
#8 BC vs #9 New Hampshire is set.
Maine owns the #11 seed, opponent TBD
Vermont owns the #10 seed, opponent TBD

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Lol

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lmao BG was trash this season good lord

So Ohio State got rightfully owned and congrats to Penn State on now getting sacrificed to Minnesota. Notre Dame finished off Wisconsin and they draw Michigan.

Hockey East is now set.

#8 BC vs. #9 UNH
#6 Merrimack vs. #11 Maine
#7 Providence vs. #10 Vermont
#5 BU is in the quarterfinal round against #4, wait hold up this isn't right how the gently caress is UCONN of all teams a 4 seed
#3 is Mass-Lowell, #2 Mass the other one, #1 is Northeastern

In the ECAC St. Lawrence now gets murdered by Qpac, Colgate gets #4 Cornell, RPI gets #3 Harvard and Union gets Clarkson.

NCHC is #1 Denver destroying #8 Miami, St. Cloud vs. Minn-Duluth in a kickass 4-5 matchup, #3 WMU vs. Omaha, and #2 NoDak vs Colorado College.

CCHA semis are Minn State vs NMU and Bemidji vs Nerds

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
BC just won 4-3 in overtime. UNH had come back from down 1-3 to tie it in the 3rd, pretty good game

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

higher seeds all won the 1st round in Hockey East, quarterfinals on Saturday as follows:

BC vs. #1 Northeastern
BU vs. #4 UConn
Merrimack vs. #3 Mass-Lowell
Default NCAA Regional Host Even When They're A 4 Seed vs. #2 UMass.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Man, bad loss by the nerds.

Hopefully we still sneak into the playoffs.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spwrozek posted:

Man, bad loss by the nerds.

Hopefully we still sneak into the playoffs.

Tech's a 12 pairwise so barring any enormous upsets they should be alright.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I don't care for the state of Minnesota.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
It doesn't care.

Anyway, Minnesota will host Michigan in the most expected of games next weekend.

Bemidji vs Mankato will be an interesting one to watch for possible upset, but not much in the way of upsets this weekend.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Jhet posted:

It doesn't care.

Anyway, Minnesota will host Michigan in the most expected of games next weekend.

Bemidji vs Mankato will be an interesting one to watch for possible upset, but not much in the way of upsets this weekend.

Mankato is 4-0 against bsu this year. Serratore is a good coach but his team isn't deep enough to pull the upset I think.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

BUG JUG posted:

Mankato is 4-0 against bsu this year. Serratore is a good coach but his team isn't deep enough to pull the upset I think.

Yeah, probably not, but it’s the only one that would be much of an upset and crazier things have happened.

I looked up Jack LaFontaine’s record in Carolina since leaving the gophers tonight too. He’s managed to allow 9 goals on 41 shots in the only two games he’s played and those were in January. He’s not been much better in the AHL either. Little bit funny to see considering Minnesota went 12-3 since then.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So yeah not a lot of shocks last night, although UConn knocking off BU is pretty wild. They reach the Hockey East semis for the first time in team history.

Mankato beat the piss out of Northern and it's not like Bemidji is a bad team, and puncher's chance and all that, but god drat the Mavericks look absolutely stacked.

B1G
Finals are Minnesota hosting Michigan this coming Saturday in what should be a fabulous matchup.

Hockey East
Amherst plays Lowell and UConn (!) plays Northeastern in the semis this coming Friday. Finals the next day.

ECAC
Q'Pac needed double overtime to sweep St. Lawrence. They await Colgate/Cornell who play game 3 today. Clarkson are also through to the semis and await the RPI/Harvard winner.

NCHC
Oh man this is gonna be fun. Denver crushed Miami and get a semifinal matchup with Minn-Duluth. Western and NoDak are the other semifinal.

CCHA
Minnesota State host Bemidji in the finals this coming Saturday and by all rights should cruise and be the overall #1 seed come national tournament time. The Mavs are on a 14 game win streak and are 34-5-0 overall. Hell of a year.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 13, 2022

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

another miami season ends with a wet fart

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

lining up to be USCHO.com's sim NCAA National Champion again. Let's go Purple Cows!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/chrismpeters/status/1504143581988241418?s=21

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Trivigno won Hockey East PotY and Levi got Rookie of the Year but I don't see either of them really in the running this year. Whether Trivigno should have gotten it over Levi is another story in its own right but Bobby has felt like the only thing keeping UMASS afloat at times.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bobby Brink has been on an absolute tear this year and I think is over 1.5 PPG, feel like it's his to lose, but who knows

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DJExile posted:

Bobby Brink has been on an absolute tear this year and I think is over 1.5 PPG, feel like it's his to lose, but who knows

The only thing that might get in the way is all the free PR everyone's been giving Beniers all year because of being the #2 draft pick this year, the Olympics, and the extra free PR from the Kraken expansion. I hope it doesn't, because he's not been the best in the NCAA this year.

Brink has been good, but his scoring is matched pretty closely by Nate Smith for Mankato. It's just too bad for Brink that he got drafted by the Flyers. Trying to predict the Hobey Baker winner is about as easy as guessing what you'll roll on a die some years.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
AIC is back in the Frozen Four with a 7-0 demolition of Air Force. UMass Amherst are back-to-back Hockey East champs, needed overtime to beat UConn.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Frozen Four bracket is out.

Figures two of the schools I went to are playing each other in game 1, UMass and Minnesota.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That Worcester regional is a group of death, holy lord

E: schedule changes this year as well:

CHN posted:

This year, things are bit different with the NCAA Regionals — there will be a day off between games. Some coaches have wanted that for years, but it came into focus last year when North Dakota and Minnesota-Duluth played a five-overtime Regional final. The night before, UMD didn't have to play because its opponent, Michigan, was booted from the tournament over COVID protocols, and North Dakota did have to play.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 21, 2022

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

DJExile posted:

That Worcester regional is a group of death, holy lord

E: schedule changes this year as well:

This applies to almost all the regionals, I don't think there's any team I would be shocked to see in the Frozen Four except for AIC and Harvard (Maybe Tech too?) Lowell and Northeastern both have good goalies and if they get hot for two games they could easily steal a regional.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah there's solid parity this year, all the 1 seeds should win their first games fairly easily, although Western/Northeastern is a really intriguing matchup because one of those two finally get a huge monkey off their back. I don't think either team has ever been past the regional semifinal round, or at least not in a very long time.

Much as it'd be hilarious if AIC pulled off a stunner, there's a part of me that would love Michigan absolutely destroying them to nudge the committee that little bit closer to revoking Atlantic's auto-bid. I realize Pairwise is far from perfect but if you're in like the 30s you shouldn't be in the tournament, full stop.

E: holy lmao in 2014 Robert Morris was in the tournament ranked 44th.

E2: AIC's at least #20 this year which is better than usual for the Atlantic's winner so at least that's something.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 21, 2022

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I wasn't paying attention but Ohio State is the women's hockey champ. How did that happen?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
It does appear that Lindenwood is moving the men’s team to D1 next year. It’s really awesome to see more teams moving up.

https://twitter.com/lu_lions/status/1507022340869300227?s=21

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I'm still waiting for the Pac-12 hockey conference

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Minn State knocks out Harvard 4-3 and await the ND/NoDak winner. Fightin nerds about to face off with Minn-Duluth on ESPN-U

Notre Dame plays NoDak in the other Albany Regional at 6PM Eastern, and UMass-Lowell play Denver at 8PM Eastern, both games on ESPN-U.

Tomorrow:
Northeastern vs. WMU at noon - ESPNU
Michigan wins
Mass vs. Minn at 6PM - ESPNU
Cloud vs. Q'Pac at 8PM - ESPNews

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nerds did not really show up. Also I am a bad Alum and didn't go to the game even though it was only a hour away.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It’s hard to blame you. Duluth goes god mode every March like clockwork

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Like a 5 minute review in the UMass/Minnesota game before finally determine a goal is a goal. The college interference rule is not great.

E: and UMass scores immediately to make it 2-0.

E2: and another replay review for a kick into the net, but uh, that wasn't an intentional kick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
https://youtu.be/hsmLpsC0Rrk

This was from like a week ago I guess? But I just saw it and holy poo poo what a disaster. gently caress video replay, man. What a monkeys paw that has turned out to be.