Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Eris

Eris drums her fingers on weapon as she reads the screen through one of her drone-eyes. "The ship would be nice, a copy of the rituals would be better. But having the Black Legion owe you a favor? There's no one with a longer reach," she makes a wiggling gesture, "except maybe the Hydra." With a vicious smirk, she adds, "and I never pass up a chance to put my thumb in the Seventeenth's eye."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Anastasia, the Red Death

She couldn't actually hear a word they were saying, but there seemed to be a lot of nodding and smug gesturing, and no one had pointed a weapon at the cogitator or stormed out yet. Anastasia mentally shrugs and starts typing. They'd stop her if they disagreed, probably. Besides, typing on a keyboard wasn't exactly signing your name in blood on daemonskin parchment as far as enforceable contracts went.

CONFIRM

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Bloodius Bloodson
Bloodius wasn't sure about all that infiltration and sneaking about, but the plan did seem to have a lot of destruction and assassinating too! They aren't sure about trusting those sneaky psykers though, their employers didn't even have the guts to talk to them face to face. Pathetic cowards! Bloodius gives the very loud and irritating thousand sons sorcerer a sideways glance. At least the members of this group seem like they would be willing to fight it out in the case of the inevitable betrayal.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Anastasia, the Red Death

She couldn't actually hear a word they were saying, but there seemed to be a lot of nodding and smug gesturing, and no one had pointed a weapon at the cogitator or stormed out yet. Anastasia mentally shrugs and starts typing. They'd stop her if they disagreed, probably. Besides, typing on a keyboard wasn't exactly signing your name in blood on daemonskin parchment as far as enforceable contracts went.

CONFIRM

The cogitator beeps, makes some noise and switches to vid/vox mode. On screen is a helmeted Chaos Space Marine in black legion armour. He appears to be in a room as similarly "sterile" as yours.

++So, now that I have your collective attention, what is it do you seek as your reward, mortals! And what else do you want to know?++

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 11, 2021

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Anastasia, the Red Death

Anastasia winces at the unexpected blast of noise, not having noticed the Icon of Silence's removal, but she smoothly regains her composure. She raises three fingers and counts off:

"Beyond what is already promised, I want three things: access to rare and powerful disease samples, Nurgle's Breath or something of similar virulence. I also require nulltech; a null rod, or an unbound Collar of Khorne that I can taint to the Plaguefather's service, or perhaps a source of Untouchable servants I can bend to my will. Finally, I will need information about immortals, true immortals, those who walk untouched by time and unbound by the Warp. Promise me these three things and I will accomplish this task at any cost."

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Ek'thoth Mekhar, The Fool of Fate

Raising a hidden eyebrow within his helmet, Ek'thoth is surprised by the honesty of Anastasia's interest in immortality. It is easy to forget that these humans live and die so quickly.

"The true names of an unbound Greater Daemon of each Ruinous Power, worthy of summoning and binding. A Thunderhawk transport, or an equivalent void-worthy vessel. Knowledge of the ritual to return a scattered soul of my Rubricae brethren to a sundered shell, after defeat, and a dozen Rubric Marines to return to my Legion," he calls over the vox. He has questions about the task at hand, but there is no sense in learning more if the price can't be agreed upon.

Infinite Karma fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 11, 2021

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Xanatova, the Untainted Will

"Ritual knowledge regarding the manipulation of human souls. The specific ritual and the source of said knowledge matters less than its scope and novelty. Access to the Black Library for a number of hours, to relevant sections of your legion libraries or those of the Thousand Sons for a number of days, or unfettered access to an Ordo Malleus or Adeptus Astra Telepathica ritual archives would all be appropriate forms of compensation." Xanatova pauses for a moment, glancing at Anastasia and the talisman hanging on Ek'thoth's neck. "Reliable means of bypassing interference with psychic or sensory capabilities or six rubric marines for study could be accepted as a partial replacement."

Waci fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 12, 2021

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Eris

Eris starts ticking off on her fingers. "Consciousness transfer media. Specifically, high-fidelity storage that can take a lossless, concurrent subjectivity sync of a post-human mind and soul. Either an Aeldari soulstone complex or a sufficient quantity of Necronctyr gamma-alkahest are acceptable - preferably both, and with the stipulation that they must be unused and untainted with respect to any previous occupants." She considers for a moment, adding, "and a covert insertion on Mars, to be delivered at a later date." With a nonchalant wave, she concludes, "oh, and I suppose any of the fancier toys you find lying around, maybe some untyped necrodermis."

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 12, 2021

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Dr. Omarion

Omarian thinks. "I wish whatever information Q'sal contains about mutations, espcially chaos mutation and mutations brought about by exposure to the Warp. I would also like research samples and subjects both human and animal, and a mobile research lab.", he says.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Alpharius Lorenz

"I have no need of a Daemonship. I might as well hang a star of chaos around my neck when I visit Imperial space," Lorenz scoffs. "The vessel and warrant of a Rogue Trader, however, would be of immense benefit. I understand that these things are well beyond a fair exchange; however, I would settle for your assistance in acquiring them for myself. Call it..." He pauses and gestures meaningfully before continuing, "..a favour."

tl;dr: in lieu of any acquisitions now, I want to set up a lead on getting my own voidship and Imperial warrant in the future.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Anastasia, the Red Death

"Oh, and, just one more thing: I understand we're to be given joint ownership of this... Intruder. What does the Black Legion gain from handing such a mighty vessel over to what appears to my eyes to be a disparate and unaffiliated group of warlords? Are we expected to be on hand for the next of Lord Abaddon's mighty crusades? Tell me what the Black Legion gains here; I fear nothing but the charity of strangers."

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Deimos, Iron Warriors Plague Destroyer

Deimos had to spend time calculating what material or other assistance the Black Legion could provide. Many, including his new allies, would use the opportunity to get multiple boons. Deimos was only one marine, he cared not for power, nor leading of men. He cared not to build an empire, but make them crumble. For 10,000 standard years, even more due to time dilation in the Warp, his current war gear had sufficed, especially with Gibbleblight. What was always in needs was munitions.

"I would require various biological, chemical, and neurological weaponry. I can provide an itemized list at a later date as I did not come to this meeting expecting to haggle for additional materials beyond the vessel. I would also require 100 missiles designed for carrying and dispersing aesolized bio weapons."

Deimos breifly pauses and continues, "An Artisan crafted suit of Terminator armor, preferably Cataphractii pattern, with a powerfist and combi-melta would also assist in ship boarding actions."

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Bloodius Bloodson

Bloodius tilts their head. Really they were only here for some good fights and maybe punching a psyker or two. They already have a cool weapon and a cool ride, really the only thing they want for is...

"Well, all I want is to have some good fights and the favor of Khorne!

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Anastasia, the Red Death

Anastasia winces at the unexpected blast of noise, not having noticed the Icon of Silence's removal, but she smoothly regains her composure. She raises three fingers and counts off:

"Beyond what is already promised, I want three things: access to rare and powerful disease samples, Nurgle's Breath or something of similar virulence. I also require nulltech; a null rod, or an unbound Collar of Khorne that I can taint to the Plaguefather's service, or perhaps a source of Untouchable servants I can bend to my will. Finally, I will need information about immortals, true immortals, those who walk untouched by time and unbound by the Warp. Promise me these three things and I will accomplish this task at any cost."

++Access to rare diseases can be provided to you on Forge Polix, in the Hollows as well as the null tech you seek. But you ask too much when you ask for the secrets of the immortals. You will need to perform an additional service before I can impart what lore the Legion has on this subject to you.++

Infinite Karma posted:

Raising a hidden eyebrow within his helmet, Ek'thoth is surprised by the honesty of Anastasia's interest in immortality. It is easy to forget that these humans live and die so quickly.

"The true names of an unbound Greater Daemon of each Ruinous Power, worthy of summoning and binding. A Thunderhawk transport, or an equivalent void-worthy vessel. Knowledge of the ritual to return a scattered soul of my Rubricae brethren to a sundered shell, after defeat, and a dozen Rubric Marines to return to my Legion," he calls over the vox. He has questions about the task at hand, but there is no sense in learning more if the price can't be agreed upon.

++"What you ask for would normally take years to accomplish, however we can provide you with two full names, one of a Bloodthirster and another, a Keeper of Secrets. The other 2 types of greater daemon, we only have fragments of their names. Enough to get you started, but not enough for true mastery. A thunderhawk would be no bother for us to give you. We can also spare a dozen Rubricae to be returned to you, as well as access to forbidden lores to help you craft such a ritual. Would that be amenable instead?++

Waci posted:

Xanatova, the Untainted Will

"Ritual knowledge regarding the manipulation of human souls. The specific ritual and the source of said knowledge matters less than its scope and novelty. Access to the Black Library for a number of hours, to relevant sections of your legion libraries or those of the Thousand Sons for a number of days, or unfettered access to an Ordo Malleus or Adeptus Astra Telepathica ritual archives would all be appropriate forms of compensation." Xanatova pauses for a moment, glancing at Anastasia and the talisman hanging on Ek'thoth's neck. "Reliable means of bypassing interference with psychic or sensory capabilities or six rubric marines for study could be accepted as a partial replacement."

++Access to our libraries and to ritual knowledge regarding the manipulation of human souls is possible. Access to the Black Library is not within in our power to grant you, though we can help you attempt to breach it. Such a feat has been done before and can be done again. Unfettered access to Ordo Malleus ritual archives, hah! I can only promise you access to our lore and what lore we've acquired from various sources. As for the rubricae, you'll have to compete with your own Son of Magnus for access to them. They are his cousins after all. Does he deign to allow you to experiment on them? ++

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

MaliciousOnion posted:

Alpharius Lorenz

"I have no need of a Daemonship. I might as well hang a star of chaos around my neck when I visit Imperial space," Lorenz scoffs. "The vessel and warrant of a Rogue Trader, however, would be of immense benefit. I understand that these things are well beyond a fair exchange; however, I would settle for your assistance in acquiring them for myself. Call it..." He pauses and gestures meaningfully before continuing, "..a favour."

tl;dr: in lieu of any acquisitions now, I want to set up a lead on getting my own voidship and Imperial warrant in the future.
++Are you certain? The intruder class is expected to hide amongst the various shuttle traffic of a system due to its size. We desire its plans because of its ability to infiltrate imperial space. Nevertheless if a more conventional voidship is what you wish, we can see about luring an imperial navy patrol group somewhere for you to board it and take their ships. As for the warrant, it will require a trip to the Calixis sector but it can be done.++

wiegieman posted:

Eris

Eris starts ticking off on her fingers. "Consciousness transfer media. Specifically, high-fidelity storage that can take a lossless, concurrent subjectivity sync of a post-human mind and soul. Either an Aeldari soulstone complex or a sufficient quantity of Necronctyr gamma-alkahest are acceptable - preferably both, and with the stipulation that they must be unused and untainted with respect to any previous occupants." She considers for a moment, adding, "and a covert insertion on Mars, to be delivered at a later date." With a nonchalant wave, she concludes, "oh, and I suppose any of the fancier toys you find lying around, maybe some untyped necrodermis."

++We will see about acquiring what you have asked for. Certainly Aeldari soulstones can be provides.++

Epicurius posted:

Dr. Omarion

Omarian thinks. "I wish whatever information Q'sal contains about mutations, espcially chaos mutation and mutations brought about by exposure to the Warp. I would also like research samples and subjects both human and animal, and a mobile research lab.", he says.

++Done.++ The chaos marine says simply

Werix posted:

Deimos had to spend time calculating what material or other assistance the Black Legion could provide. Many, including his new allies, would use the opportunity to get multiple boons. Deimos was only one marine, he cared not for power, nor leading of men. He cared not to build an empire, but make them crumble. For 10,000 standard years, even more due to time dilation in the Warp, his current war gear had sufficed, especially with Gibbleblight. What was always in needs was munitions.

"I would require various biological, chemical, and neurological weaponry. I can provide an itemized list at a later date as I did not come to this meeting expecting to haggle for additional materials beyond the vessel. I would also require 100 missiles designed for carrying and dispersing aesolized bio weapons."

Deimos breifly pauses and continues, "An Artisan crafted suit of Terminator armor, preferably Cataphractii pattern, with a powerfist and combi-melta would also assist in ship boarding actions."

++This too can be done Plague Marine.++

Xun posted:

Bloodius Bloodson

Bloodius tilts their head. Really they were only here for some good fights and maybe punching a psyker or two. They already have a cool weapon and a cool ride, really the only thing they want for is...

"Well, all I want is to have some good fights and the favor of Khorne!

++War without end will be your reward. There is much work to be done to earn Khorne's favor, especially as a being we know to be touched by the warp, to put it lightly. Your abilities are unnatural and bear the mark of the psyker. To earn Khorne's favor, you must forsake them and rely only on your true might, slaughtering countless foes in battle. If you ensure that the blood flows, the blood god will forgive your past transgressions and the misfortune of your birth. Only then will you be blessed with the purity of his vision.++

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Deimos was not surprised by the response. Given some of the other more eccentric requests, bioweapons and terminator armor were rather mundane. His mind immediately began to spiral with potential requests for agents, before stopping. "There is a query I have. The vessel we are looking to steal is having a daemon bound into it correct? While not a Warpsmith, my understanding is many daemon engines become a mix of organic matter and machine, where former crew compartments become filled with bio-mechanical components. Do we know what the impact will be on a void craft of a daemon being bound to it? What crew space will there be, if any? Same for cargo, docking, and other typical ship functions?"

Deimos was interested for purely destructive purposes. If there were organic components of the ship, he would need to avoid chemical weapons which might irreparably harm said components.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
++Now then, you've named your prices and we have agreed to fullfill most of your wishes, if not all of them. We will leave the mission's execution to you. I have been instructed to provide you all with as much information as possible before sending you on your way. Ask your questions and I will endeavor to answer them to your satisfaction, cousins.++ The Marine says, addressing the Marines in the group first this time. ++And your mortal companions.++

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Werix posted:

Deimos was not surprised by the response. Given some of the other more eccentric requests, bioweapons and terminator armor were rather mundane. His mind immediately began to spiral with potential requests for agents, before stopping. "There is a query I have. The vessel we are looking to steal is having a daemon bound into it correct? While not a Warpsmith, my understanding is many daemon engines become a mix of organic matter and machine, where former crew compartments become filled with bio-mechanical components. Do we know what the impact will be on a void craft of a daemon being bound to it? What crew space will there be, if any? Same for cargo, docking, and other typical ship functions?"

Deimos was interested for purely destructive purposes. If there were organic components of the ship, he would need to avoid chemical weapons which might irreparably harm said components.

++Our understanding is that the primary warp drive system is powered by the daemon itself, fed via some kind of sacrificial altar. The crew space is expected to be at 400 for human serfs or 200 Astartes. It's primarily intended to be a clandestine transport for a warband and cannot survive void combat, however its size is such that it can evade all but visual detection quite handily. It has room for cargo to support the crew but its best to think of this as a shuttle with void capability vs a true void ship.++

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Deimos muses outloud, "So not so much an actual daemon engine as an engine powered by a daemon. That should allow for greater use of destructive and chemical agents." Someone who was not a scion of Perturabo would likely have found something funny in the difference between daemon engine and a daemon engine but such humor is lost on the Destroyer.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Anastasia, the Red Death

"Oh, and, just one more thing: I understand we're to be given joint ownership of this... Intruder. What does the Black Legion gain from handing such a mighty vessel over to what appears to my eyes to be a disparate and unaffiliated group of warlords? Are we expected to be on hand for the next of Lord Abaddon's mighty crusades? Tell me what the Black Legion gains here; I fear nothing but the charity of strangers."

++The Black Legion gains by motivating Davos the Mad to make incursions into realspace, which will lead him to conquer a separate front by our will, if not in our name. Honor will demand he attempt to retrieve the ship. This risk should be obvious to your budding warband but you lot should manage to stay ahead of him. Kill him if he gets too close, it matters not to us. As for why this particular chapter, it has earned the disfavor of Lorgar, permitting the Legion to make such an overt move against him. Our hope is this theft will remind him of his place in the natural order of things. Satisfied, mortal?++

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

TheWeedNumber posted:

++"What you ask for would normally take years to accomplish, however we can provide you with two full names, one of a Bloodthirster and another, a Keeper of Secrets. The other 2 types of greater daemon, we only have fragments of their names. Enough to get you started, but not enough for true mastery. A thunderhawk would be no bother for us to give you. We can also spare a dozen Rubricae to be returned to you, as well as access to forbidden lores to help you craft such a ritual. Would that be amenable instead?++
"This offer is acceptable, we have an accord."

quote:

++Access to our libraries and to ritual knowledge regarding the manipulation of human souls is possible. Access to the Black Library is not within in our power to grant you, though we can help you attempt to breach it. Such a feat has been done before and can be done again. Unfettered access to Ordo Malleus ritual archives, hah! I can only promise you access to our lore and what lore we've acquired from various sources. As for the rubricae, you'll have to compete with your own Son of Magnus for access to them. They are his cousins after all. Does he deign to allow you to experiment on them? ++
"Experimentation on the cursed Rubricae, however, is not acceptable, mortal," Ek'thoth comments to Xanatova, not angrily, just... disappointed. "These are heroes who have served honorably for longer than you can comprehend, personally judged worthy by Horus Lupercal and the Emperor of Mankind alike. It is not your place to treat them as less. Likewise, the Thousand Sons have no libraries beyond the possessions of each Sorceror Lord."

His lecture nearly complete, he moves to compromise, "if sorcerous knowledge is what you are after, my own library is extensive, should the Black Legion's be insufficient. If you merely wish to appease the Ruinous Powers and avoid their interference, I am certain that you can be satisfied. If you still wish to experiment on a psyker, there are ample fools on Q'Sal for you to sacrifice. Is this acceptable?"

Responding to the Black Legionnaire's more pertinent advice, Ek'thoth adds his thoughts. The Legion's motivation, and the opportunity they have seized on, are similar to what Ek'thoth would have guessed. "I would prefer to shame Lord Davos over killing him, as well. Do your forces know when or where the binding ritual will take place? The orbital shipyards are vast. Clearly, our timing will need to be precise, as the ritual must be completed, but we must arrive before the ship makes its maiden voyage. I presume the Black Legion's operational support forces have arranged transport, and have intelligence dossiers on the Velklirans?"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Dr. Omarion

Dr. Omarion realizes from his patron's quick acquiescence that he must have asked for too little. Unfortunate, he supposed, but still, who knew when new opportunities would present themselves. Omarion also frowned inwardly at the suggestion to shame Davos rather than kill him. He would need to speak to the self-proclaimed "fool of fate" about this, but carefully, because in his experience, Space Marines were touchy and often not very practical. Still, it would need to be resolved. He did think of something that was not asked, though.

"Excuse me, but you had indicated the engine ran on sacrifices? What sort of sacrifices, and will we be provided with sacrificial material?"

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Anastasia, the Red Death

TheWeedNumber posted:

++Access to rare diseases can be provided to you on Forge Polix, in the Hollows as well as the null tech you seek. But you ask too much when you ask for the secrets of the immortals. You will need to perform an additional service before I can impart what lore the Legion has on this subject to you.++

++The Black Legion gains by motivating Davos the Mad to make incursions into realspace, which will lead him to conquer a separate front by our will, if not in our name. Honor will demand he attempt to retrieve the ship. This risk should be obvious to your budding warband but you lot should manage to stay ahead of him. Kill him if he gets too close, it matters not to us. As for why this particular chapter, it has earned the disfavor of Lorgar, permitting the Legion to make such an overt move against him. Our hope is this theft will remind him of his place in the natural order of things. Satisfied, mortal?++

A pity it wouldn't be so easy to take the first steps toward immortality, but not entirely unexpected. What few immortals existed guarded their secrets well, fearful of competition. As well they should be, for after all, Anastasia intended to make sure she was the last one standing in the end. Arms crossed, she drums her fingers thoughtfully against her shoulder a few times before saying, "Satisfactory. Well-bargained and done. I have no further questions now; when the rest are done, you need only tell us where to meet your forces."

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 14, 2021

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Alpharius Lorenz

"The Black Legion would be more than capable of pulling off this heist," Lorenz says. "Why do you need us?"

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

MaliciousOnion posted:

Alpharius Lorenz

"The Black Legion would be more than capable of pulling off this heist," Lorenz says. "Why do you need us?"

++Overt warfare is forbidden on Q’sal. Elite operatives and mercenaries dominate the Q’sallian shadows as part of the three cities internecine conflicts. The use of overt Black Legion forces would violate those precepts.++

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 14, 2021

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Ek'thoth Mekhar, the Fool of Fate

Ek'thoth grunts under his breath at the questions directed towards the Black Legionnaire. As if he'd answer honestly even if there was something suspicious going on, he thinks to himself. The cover story that they here hiring a mercenary company seems sensible enough on its face, and a level of secrecy and betrayal is to be expected in these types of contracts. He doesn't bother voicing his opinion that the explanation makes sense, there is little to be gained there, short of walking away entirely, and walking away from such a job usually carries its own risks.

OOC edit: failed Scrutiny test

Infinite Karma fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 15, 2021

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
roll scrutiny everyonehahahahahaha

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Dr. Omarion

Dr. Omarion considers the Black Legionnaire's words, but realizes that Space Marines don't tend to react like ordinary people anyway. So shouty!

Scrutiny Unskilled (15): 1d100 34

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Anastasia, the Red Death

Beneath the mutant glamour that kept her somewhat normal looking, albeit pale, Anastasia was as nightmarish as any dedicated servant of the Dark Gods. Blood seeped from every pore and evaporated, forming a reddish haze of viral particles that clung close to her like a living thing, lashing out at the targets of her ire. The dim red light guttering in the depths of her eyes hinted at something else: to her, the living looked more like a circulatory system outlined in a haze of light. Truth be told, she didn't really care what she was missing. Most she dealt with were too in awe to lie to her. The rest had been easy enough to kill once they were caught.

In short, she continues to stare off into space, imagining her ultimate victory and completely ignoring the suspicious reassurances of the heavily-armored mass of blood vessels and soulfire onscreen. If he lied, he lied; Anastasia would make someone pay for it, someday. As for her minions, the only one with enough of a mind to comprehend social interaction is the Proclaimer, and he is far too busy thinking of new ways to express Anastasia's gloriousness to worry about whatever the Black Legionnaire is saying.

Scrutiny vs 1 (30 -20 Untrained -10 Warpsight): 36

Proclaimer Scrutiny vs 20 (40-20 Untrained): 58

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Xanatova, the Unfettered Thought

Infinite Karma posted:

"Experimentation on the cursed Rubricae, however, is not acceptable, mortal," Ek'thoth comments to Xanatova, not angrily, just... disappointed. "These are heroes who have served honorably for longer than you can comprehend, personally judged worthy by Horus Lupercal and the Emperor of Mankind alike. It is not your place to treat them as less. Likewise, the Thousand Sons have no libraries beyond the possessions of each Sorceror Lord."

Xanatova shrugs, making an effort to not look like she's craning her neck to maintain eye contact with the space marine. "I resent the implication that I treat my patients with anything less than the respect they are due, but regardless of the merits of our respective procedures I suppose they're your people to speak for." She did not call him a vat-bred war-creature, and if the sorcerer heard something rude while reading others' minds that would be his own purely hypothetical fault.

TheWeedNumber posted:

++Overt warfare is forbidden on Q’sal. Elite operatives and mercenaries dominate the Q’sallian shadows as part of the three cities internecine conflicts. The use of overt Black Legion forces would violate those precepts.++

Opening her mind to the warp and the fundamental truths it showed, Xanatova studies their employer's response, paying more regard to the ensouled servo-skull's data feed than to the passing hint of the Lord of Change's disapproval washing over her. She glances back at Ek'thoth, suppressing the anger at having her senses muddled by a supposed ally even to such an inconsequential extent. "It would be to our collective benefit if you refrained from maintaining such effects outside of situations that call for them."

https://orokos.com/roll/917606 Failed test to not get got by Ek'thoth's talisman, -1 PR for one round (TN=WP+0=53)
https://orokos.com/roll/917611 Passed Glimpse test (TN80 = 60+10(skill trained)+10(focus))
Phenomena from Glimpse https://orokos.com/roll/917613 +25 = 37: Daemonic Mask, gain Fear 1 for 1 turn and 1 corruption point
Glimpse bonus (2+5-1)*5=30
https://orokos.com/roll/917612 Untrained Scrutiny 60 - 20 (untrained) +30 (Glimpse) +10 (Assistance from Second Failure) = TN 80 -> 8 DoS

Waci fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 15, 2021

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Waci posted:

Xanatova, the Unfettered Thought

Xanatova shrugs, making an effort to not look like she's craning her neck to maintain eye contact with the space marine. "I resent the implication that I treat my patients with anything less than the respect they are due, but regardless of the merits of our respective procedures I suppose they're your people to speak for." She did not call him a vat-bred war-creature, and if the sorcerer heard something rude while reading others' minds that would be his own purely hypothetical fault.

Opening her mind to the warp and the fundamental truths it showed, Xanatova studies their employer's response, paying more regard to the ensouled servo-skull's data feed than to the passing hint of the Lord of Change's disapproval washing over her. She glances back at Ek'thoth, suppressing the anger at having her senses muddled by a supposed ally even to such an inconsequential extent. "It would be to our collective benefit if you refrained from maintaining such effects outside of situations that call for them."

Though Ek'thoth appears to mundane senses as a massive man, encased in a massive slab of ancient armor, behind that physicality is a mind keenly attuned to the ebb and flow of the warp, and blessed by Tzeentch to see the exposed immaterial more easily than the deceptive material world. Had he not possessed these gifts, he likely would have no idea what Xanatova was complaining about, but the subtle rebuke was there to be noticed. "Indeed, they are my people to speak for, and mine to protect; no-one else remembers them as they once were. Chaos provides us with unlimited power, when we have the courage to use it. This makes our choices of how to wield the power all the more important. Who to wield it against doubly so." He doesn't make eye contact with the Slaanesh worshipper, but just as she doesn't want to appear weak, neither does he enjoy acknowledging the limited range of motion provided by his armor.

"The cost of using sorcery without properly paying respects to the Architect of Fate is not within my purview. Unlike the Icon that daft but brave cultist held high, Tzeentch chooses whom to bless and whom to curse, not I." Even though Ek'thoth defends his god's decision, he is too observant to ignore the disadvantage his Talisman might create, especially given the alignment of the Magisters of Q'Sal hold. "However, the traditions of Chaos Undivided have existed for millennia. I am certain that a pledge and a sacrifice between us can appease the ruinous powers. They will have the chance to unleash their reserved wrath ninefold on our enemies."

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Xanatova, the One Clear Mind

Xanatova nods. No matter what she thought of needlessly attracting the gods' attention, the sorcerer was neither the only one to wish to do so or incorrect in his assessment. "That should suffice, and without too much difficulty given our surroundings and company. Perhaps it would be worthwhile to see to such matters before we make contact with our collaborators, to ensure we are best equipped too deal with any unexpected issues." It was best to be prepared, given that while their employer did not seem about to double-cross them immediately he certainly had not told them the truth of his aims or predicted gains from the operation either, or likely even of which master he truly served.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Eris

"I'll look into moderating the effect of our friend's trinket. I have some leftover blackstone reserves I'm not using," says Eris, with the distant look of someone checking digital records. "In the meantime, I think the reason for contracting outside help is clear: Q'sal is the place to go for engines, and the Black Legion needs a lot of engines. They don't want to lose their source for heavy combat equipment and they definitely don't want the Seventeenth to have a fresh reason to pick a fight."

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Alpharius Lorenz

The Alpha Legionnaire leans towards the screen. "You're keeping secrets from us," he admonishes. "Being a warrior of the 20th Legion myself, I can understand that secrets are sometimes necessary. However, in the interests of..." - Lorenz pauses for a moment, as though searching for the right word - "..peace, I hope you're not keeping anything from us that could put us in danger."

Going to try to Charm this dude to see if he'll spill the beans on any other information.

Charm TN 60: 1d100 59 - 1 DoS, plus maybe extra for acing my Scrutiny?

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

While Deimos usually was not very good at reading context in social situations, as that was a skill never really needed in waging war, he was still rather apt at reading patterns and where things were not as they should be. As such, when the Black Legionnaire was relating the reasoning for using an outside mercenary group as opposed to doing this job themselves, something about the excuse seemed off of Deimos. This was the Black Legion, the most powerful military organization serving the Ruinous powers. If they wanted they could just wait for this daemon ship to leave Q'sal and board it. Deimos did not immediately voice these concerns, not while still meeting with the representative. He so hated such political maneuverings; just point him to his target.

Deimos then turned to the discussion going on between Xanatova and Mekhar. "Sacrificing a soul just for the sake of appeasing the Gods seems wasteful, the Gods are also served by action. Save the souls for a boon or material, and serve your God with your deeds. This warband lacks discipline. It is only now that I am away from the Iron Warriors I see that the other traitor legions did not instill the same dedication to the mission as mine did. This is no matter. Once combat is joined we shall form a brother and sisterhood. Nothing forges alliances more than enemy fire, or the fear of decimation if one fails in their task."

scrutiny at 25 (45-20 untrained): 1d100 21

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

This is not the time or the place to discuss this matter in detail - the deal was not yet done, and demonstrating a lack of solidarity wouldn't inspire confidence in their ability to work as a team. On the other hand, Ek'thoth has never cared if others misunderstand his ways, the Black Legionnaire can think what he likes. Deimos is the only one in this room Ek'thoth would truly consider a peer, despite their opposed pledges.

"You lecture Sorceror on sorcery, Plague Warrior? I do not suggest we sacrifice an innocent soul, but of ourselves, a true sacrifice. Blood, a Sensation, a Secret, and the mutual Consumption of each other's offerings. The two of us have survived time and time again, we will join the battle together soon enough and survive this as well."

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

MaliciousOnion posted:

Alpharius Lorenz

The Alpha Legionnaire leans towards the screen. "You're keeping secrets from us," he admonishes. "Being a warrior of the 20th Legion myself, I can understand that secrets are sometimes necessary. However, in the interests of..." - Lorenz pauses for a moment, as though searching for the right word - "..peace, I hope you're not keeping anything from us that could put us in danger."

Going to try to Charm this dude to see if he'll spill the beans on any other information.

Charm TN 60: 1d100 59 - 1 DoS, plus maybe extra for acing my Scrutiny?

++Have no doubt that you are in the gravest danger upon accepting this mission. But what else is new, cousin? In the interests of peace, I can offer you each a daemon to be bound to your chosen weapons, as well as a weapon of your choice. There may be limits to the weaponry we can acquire on world, certain exotics are beyond us or require travel to other worlds in the Vortex. But if it exists on Q'Sal or in the armories of Chaos, it will be yours. Now, are we in agreeement?++

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Anastasia, the Red Death

"I accept your gift with gratitude." Anastasia's thoughts turn to the weapon: a daemon scythe, perhaps, emblematic and deadly. Yes, that would do nicely. Or on second thought, a suit of armour...

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 20, 2021

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

"Indeed, an advance payment of this magnitude is an acceptable show of good faith." The daemons of Tzeentch have proven able servants in the past, and Ek'thoth would be happy to bind one for a longer term.

Requesting a Screamer of Tzeentch bound to my legacy Warp Staff and a BQ Plasma Cannon.

3 for Voidchill, 55 for Mindeater, 65+53=118 for Living Magic
Willpower 40, Binding Strength 1, +4 Damage/Penetration; +8 to Focus Power rolls; Ignores all armor and toughness, but causes no wounds; damage is divided evenly between Intelligence and Perception damage; Each damaging hit also inflicts 1d10 Toughness damage.

Infinite Karma fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Alpharius Lorenz

Lorenz nods. "If we're going up against the Thirteenth, we'll need whatever firepower we can get, although I hope it doesn't come to that."

Requesting a daemon-bound plasma pistol.