Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

AltaBrown posted:

We need an Ant and a Goblin for crops.

Two Buffamoo for milk.

Two Cluckys for eggs.

And another Woolie for wool.

Final slot is for whatever.

This sounds like sensible farming.

Make the final slot a Silver Wolf named Pony

edit; voting for monsters on the previous page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Black Robe posted:

This sounds like sensible farming.

Make the final slot a Silver Wolf named Pony

edit; voting for monsters on the previous page

I knew I forgot one. Seconding this, name too.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Orc and Orc Archer that are named Two and Brothers. Plus the pony wolf

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
A Woolie named Micah, and a Clucky named Raven.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Alright, so far what we've got in terms of voting on both SA and the Beach:

------Item Production------
Wooly:
3 votes for 1 more
(Suggested names: Micah)

Clucky:
1 vote for 1
2 votes for 2
(Suggested names: Raven)

Buffamoo:
2 votes for 1
2 votes for 2
(Suggested names: Daisy)

-----Riding------
Silver Wolf:
3 votes for 1 more
(Suggested names: Pony)

-----Crop Collection------
Ant:
2 votes for 1
(Suggested names: none yet)

Goblin:
2 votes for 1
(Suggested names: none yet)

Orc:
1 vote for 1
(Suggested names: Two)

Orc Archers:
1 vote for 1
(Suggested names: Brothers)

I'll leave the voting open until late Friday. A bit of a short voting run, but I need to get my update buffer started up again.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Voting for an Ant named Grant. And a Hornet named Barry.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Let's get another Wooly named Micah, two Cluckies, two Buffamoos, a Hornet, and a Silver Wolf.

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
A Woolie named Micah and a Silver Wolf named Pony

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Alright, looking at the votes now, it's pretty solid that we're going to have:

1 x Wooly named Micah
2 x Cluckys, one named Raven
2 x Buffamoo, one named Daisy
1 x Ant named Grant
1 x Silver Wolf named Pony

These are locked in place, and I'll go ahead and start recording, however, we've got one slot left open:

It's a tie, 2 for 2, between a Goblin or a Hornet named Barry.

We also had votes for an Orc and an Orc Archer, 1 each, they could come from behind!

First vote to break said tiebreaker wins it!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

-orc, +goblin

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Yeah definitely goblin.

Are there just no monsters that water the field in this game, or do they show up later?

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Goblin it is! I've made some decent progress, a couple of days ahead now, and we've got some interesting new stuff about to show itself. Also, Pony's been very helpful so far.

Rawkking posted:

Are there just no monsters that water the field in this game, or do they show up later?

They just show up later and are kinda backloaded to be honest. The reason why I was personally reserving a slot in the barn is that the first monster that can water will be available soon. In fact, I've just tamed one.

Next update out sometime tomorrow, where we'll have another vote, though it won't come into play for a while yet.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 15: At Least I've Got Chicken

We resume Bush's adventures on the next morning... which is raining again.

Well, aside from the more Water Runeys, this just means more time to do stuff other than farming.

Given the lack of music on days like these, have this water related theme:

Music: Alliance Alive - Rainy Realm

First on the list is crafting a battle axe! One Iron and a Sharp Talon can make one, somehow.

Battle Axe Lv: 5 was synthesized with expertise!

I had a level 4 Iron and a level 5 Talon, so that lets me make at worst a level 4 axe, but with expertise I can push it to 5.

It's not really that special, only having a little more damage and a little less RP use.

Does look pretty cool though.

Outside, my fodder's ready to harvest, though it's a little hard to see the difference.

You've gotta be really careful about using the sickle and make sure you don't cut the fodder any more than this. Otherwise, you'll just delete it.

ANETTE: Morning! Let's make this a great day!

ANETTE: *sigh*... I wish I was like that...

BUSH: What's wrong, Anette?

ANETTE: I saw a dancer when I was at another town.

ANETTE: She was beautiful, tall, and wore gorgeous clothes... I just really admired her.

BUSH: But I respect you more because you stay so cheerful as you deliver mail every day.

Well, uh... that came out of nowhere, Bush.

ANETTE: R-really?! Thanks. It feels nice even if you're just saying that.

Worth noting that Anette's not even got a full point of LP yet.

Let's just go check our mail.

-----------------------------------------------------
~"Man..." - Selphy~

I'm... so... hungry...
3 days... I haven't... eaten...
Can't... go... on...
Bamboo Rice...must...have...
Please...

1. I give you food basically every day
2. Was it really necessary to write all the ellipsis?
3. Alright, sure, I'll send one tomorrow

Bamboo Rice takes Rice and a Bamboo Shoot to make. I don't have the rice on me right now, so I'll have to drop by the Snowstyle tonight.

~"I'm training!" - Marco~

Hey! I heard you're pretty strong!
I'm actually practicing sword fighting, too.
My mom doesn't know, of course.
I'll be stronger than you someday!

My dude, I'm pretty sure she's well aware of it by this point.

ERIK: Come again!

I stop by Erik's and buy a bag of cucumber seeds, as I can start growing those next to my dungeon strawberries. There's a few recipes I'll want them for eventually, so I might as well get started on them now.

There's nothing new that was said in the inn today, so I just go do my gifts and head off to the rest of town.

I stop by Ganesha's to check the prices on elemental crystals again. Grinding them out of certain monsters isn't impossible, but it may help us to obtain some Earth typed weapons soon.

ROSETTA: The weather is terrible. I get depressed when the weather is this bad.

ROSETTA: One of the things I like is "Roasted Yam." I love how sweet it is.

ROSETTA: I also like strawberries and Hot Milk. I guess I really like sweets.

ROSETTA: You're a regular at my store now. Please keep shipping out and buying things at my store.

Her voice acting says "baked sweet potato" but it's the basically the same thing.

Both of these things will probably continue to happen regardless, so no need to worry there. I have zero way of making money without shipping anyhow.

DANNY: Oh. So you've been to Whale Island?

Everything is uneventful as always in Dannyville.

In the library, Bush prepares to finish another bookshelf.

~Up Your Quality: Part 2~

"To raise the level of your items, you can use the 'Greenifier' for crops, for example, but basically what you need is to make them with higher level ingredients."

"This is because the level of the final product will be the same as the lowest-level ingredient. Of course, there are exceptions."

"If you manage to get a 'perfect' while cooking, forging, crafting, or mixing, you can get items with levels higher than their ingredients. In the end, it is all about skill."

I've already explained this stuff, but here's a refresher. Also the description of Greenifier says it speeds up crop growth, but it actually raises the level of the grown crops instead as this book says.

SELPHY: I keep finding all sorts of books in this library. I wonder if the previous manager had a hobby of collecting all of them.

Despite the letter we got this morning, Selphy seems to be doing fine.

SELPHY: Do you remember how I said I'd start writing books?

BUSH: Yes, I remember.

SELPHY: I finally finished the other day! I'm having Lara read it since she passed by.

SELPHY: I can't wait to hear what she thinks of it.

Well, that was fast. It must not be very long, but then again, perhaps that's for the best when starting out.

LARA: When you get knocked out by monsters or collapse from overworking, you will be brought into the infirmary.

LARA: But please try to be careful so that it doesn't have to come to that.

Bush is well acquainted with the art of being teleported to the infirmary. It's been a long time since it last happened, but believe me, we'll probably see it some more in the dungeon following Green Ruins.

STELLA: I built this village from the ground up. It's like my very own hometown.

I think we've already seen this line, but I think it's worth mentioning that if I'm remembering right, this is very literal. She built a lot of these buildings.

And Kross is also here, as is usual for rainy days.

KANNO: I am out of experiment materials. Find them for me.

BUSH: Again?

KANNO: Shut up and go! A student always listens to his master!

KANNO: First, find me a 'Sharp Talon'.

I happen to already be carrying one. so...

KANNO: This is a 'Sharp Talon.' Good job.

KANNO: Next, find a 'Hard Horn.'

Woohoo, more fetch questing.

At least maybe we'll get a reward out of this?

CINNAMON: I feel like staying indoors to read when it rains.

It seems as if the Mountain Road decided to begin it's journey to collapsing. There's 8 water, 5 rock, 2 grass, and 44 Tree Runeys. I guess it got the Day 20 boost.

How nice.

(It'll still probably hold out on it's own for a while.)

Music: Whale Island Outside

After this, I spend two in-game hours running all the way up to the Moondrops on Whale Island. Dungeons don't get watered by rain, and I guess the explanation here is that we're presently above said rain clouds right now.

I went to go grind some more experience off of silver wolves when I discovered something quite nice:

If you stand just a bit in front of and to the right of the spawner, lining your staff up with the center of the staircase, you can time shots to just one-shot wolves with a triple hit.

This works incredibly well, as it so happens.

I do this for about an in-game hour and a half, gaining two levels in the process.

Also, loads of talons and fangs, plus a few hides.

In order to get that Hard Horn our unofficial teacher wants, I go and explode some Buffamoos for a while.

Takes a while, but it eventually drops.

KANNO: This is, in fact a 'Hard Horn.' Now I can move on with my experiment.

KANNO: What are you doing? You can go now.

Not even a reward!? :argh:

Bah, at least I got some levels for my trouble.

Back at the house, Mist is here.

MIST: I don't have much to do when it rains so I came to visit. Was I being a bother?

She'd do this in RF1 as well.

she's surveilling us, don't make any sudden movements :tinfoil:

While she stands there staring at Bush's empty fireplace, he makes a bunch of Battle Axes with all the wolf talons.

I mostly did it to grind some more smithing skill, but they'll possibly come in handy as materials later.

MELODY: Hi, Bush! ♪

MELODY: Say, Bush! I heard!

MELODY: Cinnamon at the clock tower is a wizard?

BUSH: Seems like it. I heard that she was at the Imperial Magic something or other studying some kind of magic.

MELODY: Wow, that sounds nice! ♪

MELODY: I just look like one, but I wish she would teach me how to use magic! You think she will?

BUSH: Haha... I don't know about that.

MELODY: I've decided! I'm going to see Cinnamon and get her to teach me some magic!

This is the start of Melody's character arc, in which she attempts to become a real magic-user, not just look like one.

:japan:

Hit Selphy's scene this time, which does actually happen to be more fanservice-y than the others.

Put short, she's outgrowing her suit jacket as she takes after her mother in "certain characteristics."

I don't intentionally have Bush stare into the rain after those, it just happens because the look up button is 1, and the menu to warp away is on 2. I still mix them up occasionally.

Such is what I get for playing this on keyboard, I guess.

Back at the farm, I sell off 20 cherries, 40 strawberries, 8 bamboo shoots, 4 pickled turnips, and a low level Battle Axe for a grand total of 9108g.

The reason why I have so many strawberies is because of the Runey Prosperity the Shrub Farm's been put into. The growth shortening is causing me to get strawberries every single day, so I'm raking in about 27 each day now.

And here is a Rune. Not a Runey, but a Rune. It's here because the dungeon strawberries are finally harvestable.

Just a big ball of light floating above a plant. It restores a hefty chunk of RP when grabbed and doesn't involve any kind of crazy harvester shenanigans.

This also means my dungeon strawberries will be making that daily output be 36 strawberries a day now. If these fields weren't such a hassle to get to, I'd plant some more down here to keep that income rolling in.

Cave cucumbers planted.

I return to Ganesha's now that I've got my profits from my shipment, and buy two Earth Crystals. This is 5000g out of my pocket and in hindsight perhaps isn't the best buy, but I can make this back fast.

I then commit arson practicing staff usage while waiting for the bar to open.

BUSH: Ganesha, have you been this village's blacksmith for a long time?

GANESHA: Not really. I think I came here about... 2 years ago? I was training under my Dwarven master, close to setting up shop, when I met Stella completely by accident.

GANESHA: I think this is fate.

After that little tidbit of backstory, I buy 9 more Rice from the bar and head on back to the house.

First on our list of things to make is an Earth Shade, an upgrade for the base two-handed sword made by slapping an Earth Crystal into it.

I don't have any chance with my current forge skill to make it with expertise, so level 1 it is.

Quite different from the basic looking two-hander we started with, the Earth Shade has this double pointed end like a snake's tongue, and a fancy golden guard.

Being upgraded, it also finally has access to a charge attack. It's nothing special, just a full 360 degree swing, but it's range is great and can hit twice if placed well.

If anything, it'll be useful if I need to grind materials out of Green Ruins.

Following this is an Earth Wand, made just from the crystal and a stick.

It has a base power of 30, which is higher than anything else we've got, and its Magic boost is an equally crazy +55. It doesn't hit as much on normal enemies as the fireball can, but this thing will do some real damage.

Later on, I discover that it can do loads of damage to enemies with larger hitboxes.

I unfortunately missed the expertise craft on this one as well, though it was possible to get it in this case. A real shame, as the RP cost down would help our staves quite a lot.

I also make that Bamboo Rice for Selphy. It's actually some pretty good stuff, giving a temporary +50 max HP buff and doing something with adding Paralysis to our attacks, I think.

It's also an HP gain of 60, which is almost double what we can get from the weak healing potions that are available.

After all this, Bush is bushed, so I have to send him off to bed before I can show off the Earth Wand.

And would you believe it's raining again?

I didn't ask Candy to do this or anything. It's just pouring every day for some reason.

So, here's our guest track this time:

Music: Atelier Iris - Lakeside

And here's proof of the Runey Prosperity working here. I picked these strawberries yesterday and cut that fodder, and it's back immediately.

As long as you keep just one region in prosperity it can still be pretty busted in the rate at which you grow things.

However, this comes at the cost of having to pick these all every day. It's not fast in the slightest. Getting a monster to do harvesting work for us would be nice.

Anette is too fast for Bush's strawberry gifting abilities :negative:

ANETTE: You want this Bamboo Rice delivered, right? Leave it to me.

I have been brushing Fluff every day, but don't expect this happines meter to go up very fast. Like many things with Frontier, it's in no hurry.

Although, I only need 1 happiness to start shearing him, so it's really not that bad. It's in place to prevent you from mass catching monsters that produce items, immediately harvesting them, and booting them to the First Forest afterwards.

Tragedy strikes as I step just too short when cutting the fodder and I accidentally wipe 3 tiles of it.

Welp.

Old man's not got any new stuff for us to do today, so I suppose Bush will have to continue his self-guided acquisition of KNOWLEDGE :eng101:

BUSH: It's sad because there aren't any stars in the sky during the day.

CINNAMON: Stars are there even during the day. They're just look invisible to you because the sun is so bright.

BUSH: Oh, really? I didn't know that.

It's like they couldn't decide between three different ways to set up the sentence there. Regardless, Cinnamon is here to toss us more astronomy facts.

Music: Kross' Theme

KROSS: Do you like the rain? I love it.

KROSS: The rain can wash the dirty earth. As it flows, it creates a river and heads toward the sea...heh...

KROSS: ...It is only on days like this that I can sleep well.

It used to be that way for me, but ever since a series of leaks in my roof and the subsequent replacing of said roof, rain just makes me anxious.

STELLA: They say that he who believes shall be saved. But I don't think that's enough.

STELLA: You have to believe and do good deeds before being saved.

Stella for once sounding like a nun.

In the library, we go to finish up another shelf.

~Cooking for Men: Part 2~

"Do you have a kitchen fully equipped with the utensils from volume 1? Yes? Then let us move on to actual cooking."

"The key to cooking is practice! Get your timing down and stop the gaugue in the center to cook a delicious meal!"

"Oh, and one more thing. The most important ingredient of all is 'love.' Think about the person you are cooking for and your dish will turn out great! Good luck, gentlemen!"

In order to cook, take the same steps that you would if you were forging. Or crafting a ring. Or mixing drugs.

It'll also be a while before we get a full kitchen. That house expansion may not be as bad as previous games, but it still isn't cheap.

SELPHY: Are you reading any books? I prefer a smarter Bush than a stupid one that can only farm.

Yowza. :eng99:

And besides, you know the moment that we look at a shelf. What else do you think we're doing with the books?

SELPHY: *yawn*...

BUSH: You haven't been sleeping?

SELPHY: I'm fine. I switch off on my own when I go to sleep.

I guess she's just cranky from sleep deprivation.

A while later, I'm finally back up to Whale Island, ready to show off the Earth Wand.

Enemies right up against the wand will take physical damage and get booted backwards a good distance, and anything in front of you for a good distance will take some hefty earth damage, courtesy of the spikes of rock you just summoned.

This spell used to be known as Earth Spike in the handheld games. Usually it's kinda garbage as it only shot one heat-seeking spike, but here it's decently usable.

Almost done with these darn flowers.

It's not like I'll have to stop making the two hour run up here though. It's even required that I'll have to do it at least a good number of times for quite a while before I can unlock the shortcut to get here faster!

Whale Island needs better shortcuts. Direly.

Following this, I grind some more wolves for a while. It's only 1PM, so I might as well.

UZUKI: The season for flower viewing is coming soon.

UZUKI: It was very uncomfortable to not be able to take off my shoes inside the room.

BUSH: Oh? You take off your shoes when you're indoors?

UZUKI: Yes. Is it normal for people keep them on here?

More Fantasy Japan things.

EUNICE: What do you think of this village?

EUNICE: I love how quiet this village is. Bush, I hope you will like it, too.

Eunice doesn't even take breaks on rainy days, she's just inside the bar sweeping as usual. It's... kinda depressing honestly.

At least we've got a gift she likes now. So that's something.

Back home, I mix up some more Neutralizers and their corresponding Antidotes. I'll have to keep working on this for a while before making decent potions is even a reasonable task.

I'm also getting better at catching fish perfectly, if this level 6 Pale Carp is anything to go by. The input delay on emulator is a little bit better than it is with the remote.

MELODY: Sitting here all day is actually pretty tiring.

MELODY: Wizard... I love the way that sounds! ♪

Melody acknowledges the fact she sits in this chair for 6 hours doing basically nothing while waiting for customers.

CANDY: I like your house, Marco, because there's so much mysterious stuff there.

MARCO: Really?!

CANDY: Yup. Why are you red? Are you sick?

Ah yes, what young love starts over: having a cool house.

Checking the Runeys again, it seems like Mountain Road is stabilizing itself slightly as at least there's still some rock runeys alive to eat the trees.

The Business District is also being overrun with trees though. I don't know how that happened.

Also, I'd like to point out that the background of this map menu is literally illustrations of Runeys dying or viciously eating their fellow spirits. It's like the game knows what's going to happen.

Pale Carp Roast Lv.7 was synthesized with expertise!

This is all still before I knew what I was doing regarding the Runeys, so I just went back home and cooked up some high level fish.

Taimen Sashimi Lv.3 was synthesized.

Our cooking skill is at 33 now, so I was able to finally do the Taimen Sashimi. The blue range for normal success makes up only a tiny spot in the center of the bar, so it's not easy.

For shipping, I throw in 42 strawberries and a couple of meh fish dishes. This nets me 5244g.

I collect some Runeys until the bar opens and head off there.

GANESHA: Rita! Give me another!

RITA: Gotcha! But be careful you don't drink so much that Marco will start yelling at you again.

GANESHA: What are you saying? Why do I have to be scared of my own kid?!

I know this is supposed to be comedic, but part of it is kinda depressing.

Everything about the Snowstyle is turning out depressing lately. :smith:

None of this stops Bush from indulging in wine himself. I buy 3 bottles of it for 6000g.

It's odd, where other games in the series apply negative effects for drinking, the only downside in this game is the hefty price tag of 2000g a bottle. It restores 150 RP and for a minute and a half it protects you from a single lethal blow. It's a pretty rare buff, only present on some endgame weapons.

Bush is not going to be drinking these though. Well, he sort of is, but it's complicated.

...You'll see what I mean.

An hour later, 3 bottles of wine in hand, Bush is collecting useful stuff on the lowest floor of the Green Ruins.

Music: Green Ruins

In order to fill my HP and RP back up, I go up a floor and level up off some Cluckadoodles and Hornets.

Level cannons are great. The only problem with them is that they're limited as I'll only be able to get these free refills so often.

With that done, I head back down to the mysterious door and set those wine bottles to the hotkey bar as an example. This lets you set consumables to quick access by hitting the d-pad on the wiimote, instantly pulling them out and eating them.

It's not as easy to hit given my emulation setup, but it's there. I'm sure I'll need these during the fight.

BUSH: There's something up ahead...

Time to go in.

Oh my God, Odd, a boss!

Music: Chickogriff

A boss?!

But yeah, there are boss fights in this game. They hint at it pretty well what with Kanno's warning and the weird giant feathers everywhere. The track for this one is a remix of the boss fight theme from RF1, which is pretty appropriate.

Chickogriff, as he's called, is a giant rooster with a lion's backside.

I made the Earth Shade and Earth Wand for this fight, as Chickogriff here is a Wind type enemy and is weak to Earth damage.

I end up pulling out the Fire Rod anyways. The Earth Wand absolutely destroys this boss if you're having trouble with it, though.

It's still doing about 100 - 150 damage a shot here, so, uh...

Fire Rod is busted folks, I don'w know what else to tell ya.

Audio-wise, imagine a bunch of chicken noises and Bush constantly yelling "take that!"

Combat-wise, this boss hits pretty hard but is also very slow about doing it. It's attacks consist of turning around slowly and slamming the ground...

A short ranged tackle that makes it collapse on it's side...

And a long range charging attack. Between all the gear and levels Bush has gained, this boss is hitting us for about 20-40 damage each hit, so it'll KO us in about 4-9 hits depending on what we get hit by.

I've got some extra Bamboo Rice if necessary, but with the magic boost from some Grilled Chub, I should be able to finish this off before I get that in danger.

When the boss gets low, he rears up and starts flashing bright yellow. This is him entering a rage state, which is supposed to make the fight harder by making the boss hit harder and move faster.

In practice, it gives me a couple extra shots on the boss where I don't have to reposition or anything.

The boss is really low on health and heads back to the center for a final charging attack, and I find myself in front of the locked door of the room. It's a straight shot to it, so I let loose one last fireball in it's direction...

...It's all or nothing...!

oh whoops, accidentally hit my hotbar

oh drat i left the wine on the hotbar

there goes 2000g of wine down the drain

Bush stands, staring distantly at the alcohol in his hands as the boss lets out a final cry.

RIP this giant bird lion thing. It doesn't pop away like the other monsters so I can only assume I killed it for real.

Oh, hey, I guess the cutscene stopped me from drinking that bottle of wine. I guess we didn't lose it!

Let's just take that out of our hands for safekeeping. That should take it off the shortcut-

Huh.

:eyepop:

Okay, enough badly faking it for the sake of comedy, this game has a duplication glitch in it. Almost every Rune Factory game has some broken way to make piles of money in unintended ways, and this is RFF's version.

By using a projectile or having a pet monster attack the boss, you can make just enough time for yourself to start eating something off your hotbar. When the boss dies, a cutscene triggers that interrupts this action, but doesn't remove the stack of items from your hand or inventory.

So now I've got 6 bottles of wine. This obviously multiplies. I beat the boss again and do it, and I can have 12 bottles of wine.

I chose Wine for this specifically as it's the priciest edible item available. That's the only catch to this glitch: whatever you are duping must be consumable. Weeds, high class foods, rare flowers, cooking oil; if you can eat it, you can dupe it.

I didn't actually make any money here as Wine only sells for half of what I bought it for, but I did dupe them.

The boss also drops items himself, but the only things of note are his special item, the Giant Cockscomb...

...And a Sapphire, a rare gem.

He also dropped a normal box of rice for some reason. :psyduck:

And when we return to the entrance, there's now a teleporter right to his room, should we so need it.

This, of course, facilitates easy duping.

What doesn't facilitate easy duping is that the boss's stats and moveset get boosted by a lot after you beat him the first time. If I wanted to do any more of this, I'd have to figure out a way to survive this much higher level encounter against him in which it seems like my attacks do about 1/100 of his healthbar.

I suppose I could always make a giant pile of fish and fight this guy for 5 in-game hours straight and I'd eventually win.

I am, for now, going to be making money legitimately though, unless the thread really just wants me to snap the economy in half with alcohol.

In the future, I've found a way to manage it, but it's far from easy.

Back at home, I can now take the Giant Cockscomb and one of Bush's many Battle Axes and create the Tomahawk. Notable in how it has 63 ATK, and uses 25 RP per swing. This thing is an absolute beast for this point in the game.

It's suitably crazy fantasy looking and has a special attack, though it's no different than what our lumber axe does.

Given that our Fire Rod will fall off hard in the next dungeon, (as it's fire themed,) this will probably be a decently useful weapon for a while.

That all being said, it's about time for Bush to get some shut-eye, and it's also the last of my pre-recorded stuff. That means we'll start seeing those monster requests get fulfilled.

But as well, we've got something else to vote on now that we're surpassing the early tier weapons. The next set of crafting books are very expensive, so...
What weapons will Bush be focusing on?

One handed swords?
Two handed swords?
Spears?
Axes?
Hammers?
Magic?
Some mix of the above?

This vote won't come into play until I get an upgraded forge, but it'll help me to know so I don't have to stop when I do manage to get it.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 19, 2023

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Dual class time, let's roll Magic and Axes :black101:

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Hammers. You'll be lugging one around anyway to mine ore, no point in wasting inventory space.

On another note, seeing that straw hat triggered some vague memories of being able to give accessories to NPCs. Could you try making one and giving it to Mist, see if she can wear it? Although as I recall, there's no way to get them to take it off other than by giving them something else to wear.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013
I never gave magic a fair shake in this series as I always rolled with two-handed weapons for a high atk, low def build. So let’s go with Bush the Mage and go with staves!

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

sandorius posted:

Hammers. You'll be lugging one around anyway to mine ore, no point in wasting inventory space.

On another note, seeing that straw hat triggered some vague memories of being able to give accessories to NPCs. Could you try making one and giving it to Mist, see if she can wear it? Although as I recall, there's no way to get them to take it off other than by giving them something else to wear.

Worth noting that while Axe and Hammer weapons can be used the same as their farming counterparts that they often cost more than the tool versions. Still, hammers are very solid weapons.

The accessory thing I just found out about a few hours ago. Maybe I'll eventually do some voting to outfit everyone in town, though it might be better to wait until I've got wider access to accessories.

As per request though, here's Mist commandeering Bush's current hat.

Edit: (Also, a vote for the visual style of our kitchen and forge extensions aren't far off either.)

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 28, 2021

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Hammers and Magic. Your enemies will be in a world of hurt.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 16: I'll have some vegetables

Music: Spring

We open today's update with fieldwork and Bush in a funny pose.

If I just have Bush stand directly in front of the mailbox with a strawberry out, it makes missing the gift a lot harder.

ANETTE: Hey, there's a letter with your name on it, Bush.

Apparently, directly asking for your letters gives a small LP boost. For some reason I feel like it'd actually be kinda annoying in the real world.

~"Thanks!" - Selphy~

I just wanted to thank you for the Bamboo Rice. You're a life saver.
But I realized I could have gotten food much faster if I had gone to Rosetta or Rita's stores rather than sending a letter out.
A lesson learned, indeed.

This is aside from the fact I already bring you food every day.

I also like how she doesn't mention Danny's store at all.

~"We have new shipments!!" - Ganesha~

I got new shipments.
I now have even better weapons thatn before, so be sure to check it out!
Of course, the quality is even more perfect than before as well.
Damascus Forge

ANETTE: This is such a nice place. It's quiet and peaceful. Maybe I should move here. Haha, just kidding.

It'd help out a lot if you did.

After this, I spend quite some time trying to re-collect a lot of the excess Runeys on the Homestead. This is the point in my recording where I actually know what I'm doing, so expect to see some more informed actions regarding Runeys.

In fact, one big thing I'll be working towards in the next few updates is moving the prosperity off the Homestead and onto a different location so that my Water, Rock, and Tree Runey count will grow.

KANNO: The giant monster in the Green Ruins can be very interesting.

Sure, but I don't know how you're getting down there to study it. Music's still pretty good though.

CINNAMON: I'm gathering magic items, but they're hard to find.

CINNAMON: Tell me if you find any "Magic Crystal."

This is her favorite gift, giving three times the LP than the random fish we're throwing at her. We can't even get these yet, though we could soon enough.

Nothing new at St. Poli's, so it's off to the library.

When it comes to the library, we've actually read every book on the first floor! :eng101:

~Constellation: Turnip~

"The Turnip is THE constellation of spring. It is quite bright in the early night sky, so it is very easy to find."

There seems to be a couple of these pages spread about that describe constellations we've seen.

Back when we saw the Crown Constellation, Selphy noted she got a book on constellations. As it turns out, that was it's corresponding effect and I had no idea. Presumably these are pages from that book.

~Constellation: Serpent~

"The Serpent, a spring constellation, appears later in the night. Because it can be seen even after the sky has turned completely dark, the Serpent is one of the most radiant constellations."

While stars are always shining, the immense light of the sun drowns them out until the progression to nighttime allows them to not be overwritten. Given this, I can only presume that "completely dark" must be referring to a cloudy night, which would mean that these stars are putting off a helluva lot of light to do so.

~Constellation: Crown~

"The Crown is a constellation that appears past midnight in the springtime sky. Because it appears so late, few have ever seen it, but its splendor makes it worth staying up for."

Wasn't hard for me, but I guess most people don't have frame delimiters.

SELPHY: There was a time when I went to a book market in the capital. There were endless books and I was so happy.

SELPHY: I want to go again!

Selphy doesn't just like books, she lives for reading. She wants to make sure we understand this.

Also, it's good to hear that Norad's got enough of a literary scene that it can have a book market. I guess when you're a peace loving nation powered by earth spirits, nature wizard farmers, and dragons, you've got a lot of time on your hand for literacy.

SELPHY: When I was little, I read a lot of books.

SELPHY: I was sickly so I never got to go outside a lot.

SELPHY: Now, I'm all healthy, but I still love books.

"Healthy" in the sense she usually suffers no ill effects from subsisting almost entirely on literature as she constantly forgets to eat. Doctors Hate Her For This One Weird Trick!

Also you might be interested to know that she's now since bypassed Mist in LP, making her the current highest. Those books add up to a lot.

Mist might be higher if I tilled more land, I believe that's the specific trigger for her LP, but most of my land is covered in rocks I can't break, stumps that take half my RP bar to break, and wild grasses I don't mind having around.

Music: Trampoli

Danny is still being boring, so nothing new here. The "rival" bachelors in this game, he and Erik, are just kinda irrelevant most of the time.

ROSETTA: The vegetables are on sale today! ...Oh, it's you, Bush.

BUSH: I'll have some vegetables.

ROSETTA: Sure, but those vegetables came from you.

BUSH: Haha... Oh, right. Then I'll pass.

Bush is such a dork sometimes.

Also she's still talking about the moondrop thing. We'll be resolving that matter today at least so it'll stop clogging up the normal dialogue flow.

EUNICE: Bush! Let me tell you something nice.

EUNICE: Use the same water you washed rice with on the dishes. It can make them shiny.

I had to look this up, but it's a thing apparently. Apparently it makes a decent replacement for soap. Something something colloidal mixture and abrasion something something natural oils.
This rice-water isn't to be kept around though, only works for like a day unrefrigerated which I suppose is a result of that bacteria that grows on cooked rice.

Still, now that Eunice is starting to like us, we'll be getting random little tips like these.

Something else I found out: Uzuki accepts any fish! So all that sashimi making really didn't do anything but drive Bush's Cooking skill up.

Not a total loss I guess, and knowing this will save me a lot of time otherwise spent huntin for sashimi capable fish.

Ganesha's amazing new merchandise is that she's now selling the first tier Battle Hammer and Battle Axe, stuff we've already been able to make for quite some time.

She's also selling more of the elemental crystals, but at level 3 each. These can come in handy later if finding our own higher level crystals proves to be a pain. Having reduced RP costs on magic staves is very nice.

MARCO: There's supposed to be a huge bird monster in the Green Ruins.

MARCO: I wish I could go fight it.

Sorry kid, now that I've beat it, it's already leveled up even beyond my abilities.

ERIK: Well? Have you gotten used to the village yet?

BUSH: Yes. Everyone is very nice.

ERIK: Good!

ERIK: If you have any conversations about farming, just ask me.

While Danny is still spouting the same nothing lines he has been, Erik over here is still giving week 1 dialogue.

ERIK: T-turnip? Where did you get that?! Get it away!!!!

this man is evidently harrowed by the clandestine machinations of Mist :ninja:

Erik really hates turnips. Explains why he's always telling that story about turnips turning into monsters after the season changes.

Unless...? :tinfoil:

Anyways, Anette is also here in Erik's house for some reason. Sometimes she hangs out here between 9 AM to 12 PM on Wednesdays.

BUSH: Oh... What brinks you here, Anette?

ANETTE: Ahaha, I guess you caught me at a bad time. I was a bit hungry so Erik was treating me to a meal.

ANETTE: Oh, but that's all there is to it! There's nothing between us!

ERIK: Hahaha... She's right, but it still hurts to hear that...

ANETTE: Huh? Why?

RIP Erik.

ANETTE: Let's see...

BUSH: What is it? Why are you staring at me...?

ANETTE: Okay! Looks like you're a bit more fit now! Boys have to be fit, you know!

what

i just

huh

ANETTE: Do you like working in he fields, Bush? I love my job.

It's chill, so I guess.

Anyways, I leave for a bit and come back in to get Erik to be behind his front desk as he won't be there until 12 PM.

The Summer crops are Onions, Tomatoes, Corn, Pumpkins, and Pineapples. Tomatoes, corn, and pineapples are all regrowing crops like our strawberries, though pineapples are barely worth their 18 day growth time and 7 day reharvest period. Without max prosperity, they're an utter waste of time.

Corn and Tomatoes end up doing much better, so I'll be aiming for those when it comes time for the season to switch over. For now though, I want to start my tomato crop early on Whale Island as there's a favorite gift for one of the bachelorettes that's not far out of reach as long as I've got tomatoes.

MIST: You defeated the monster in the Green Ruins? Not bad.

MIST: I knew you had it in you, Bush.

Man, that is one chill response to "dude on the farm slew an 8 foot tall chicken lion". Then again, this is supposed to be a sequel or something, so Mist has already personally witnessed Bush eliminate multiple deadly creatures from the first game. Or maybe not...?

Like I said at the beginning, the connection between this game and it's predecessor is exceeedingly vague. I bet you already forgot this game was a sequel to a previous one. I did until I wrote this.

Cave farming and grass farm management happens after that and that's all I've got to say about it.

Music: Green Ruins

EPIC TAMING SEQUENCE

GO

Masterfully rolling with the punches, Combatant Bush pacifies the ant!

He's being called Grant!

(Default name is Anne.)

He goes for the Clucky! It's not a Peck, but a Clucky!

But OH NO

Bees are attacking from the sides!

Oh dear! He may be poisoned, but he sucks it up and gets to TAAAAMIIIING

We've got one Clucky by the name of Raven! Is that a reference I hear?!

OOOH

AND ANOTHER BRUSHING GOES DOWN

This one's going by the name of Bokbok!

(Default names Doodle and Cluck.)

He's put the glove down! And with that, this match is OVER.

Strong showing today!

Sometimes I almost forget these toyherbs are planted back here. They're worth a lot, but they just take so darn long.

More strawberries go in the bin. My plan is to try and make enough money in these next 8 days to have both the forge and kitchen extensions by the start of Summer.

MELODY: I saw a person take a pigeon out of his hat the other day. Ist that magic, too?

MELODY: I wish I could take a pigeon out of my hat.

Bathhouse Melody over here just wanting to learn any magic at all at this point.

MELODY: I'm glad to see all the villagers coming to the bath. Recently, I've had customers from outside the village. too.

MELODY: I knew it. People who love baths can't be bad people.

must be why i never see mist in here

But I guess outside visitors is how she can manage to afford the cost of living. With her basically free price of 10g, 21 people have to come by per day to even afford a single turnip.

She makes basically no money off these miracle bathhouses.

Nolan's got nothing new to say, so it's time to start the long haul up to tower on the Whale Island Fin.

Hour and a half later, I'm there. And then we run right into a cutscene!

A view of the moon and the bright, glowing flowers beneath it...

Bush slowly walks across the aged tile, towards the mysterious girl wearing white.

As we approach, she turns around to him and the flowers send up petals into the sky.

Pointed ears, green and red eyes, and a general expression of "huh?"

GIRL: Good evening.

There's more petals after this.

GIRL: I didn't expect a guest today. I'm sure today will be good then.

GIRL: Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Iris.

BUSH: My name is Bush and I came from Trampoli Village, below the island.

IRIS: Bush, is it? Nice to meet you. Please come visit me whenever you want.

Well, that was brief. At least we got another Bush Introduction. But this is Iris, one of the last few bachelorettes we were waiting on, and the whole reason for growing the moondrops thing.

That's also one hell of a cloak pin- giant blue gem, frilly flower thing, and a giant gangster golden chain.

IRIS: How is your walk out at night? Are you enjoying it?

Unfortunately, after all this build up to her introduction, she's got a lot of nothing to say right now.

BUSH: Speaking of which, what's behind that locked gate, Iris?

BUSH: How do I open it?

IRIS: I don't know. I haven't gone very far so I'm not sure.

BUSH: I thought so...

IRIS: Oh, but there could be a chance that it could just open.

IRIS: That's why you should just check up on it from time to time.

BUSH: I guess. I'll go check it out whenever I come to visit you.

IRIS: Oh, you. So you're saying that I'm the main purpose of your visit?

Between the confusing start to the conversation and Bush moving fast here, this dialogue is about how we progress the storyline for Whale Island. The answer is basically we need to keep coming up here until it does. Yeah.

Also I think this was supposed to trigger later, but whatever.

IRIS: Thank you! It's a very pretty flower... I'll be sure to cherish it!

The fact that we had to grow these flowers to meet her should be enough of a hint that she likes them as gifts. Her favorite gift is perhaps one of the easiest to make, and I'll be able to make piles of it once I get the expanded kitchen.

Speaking of said flowers we had to grow, I immediately pick all of them and plant tomatoes there instead. They're almost the same thing, they've got yellow star shaped flowers.

This is the one field on Whale Island I know I'll be passing by constantly, so it's the best one for this. Besides, it's part of getting her favorite gift.

Music: Whale Island Entrance

~Whale Island - Tower of Rest~

Now I can finally start calling this thing by it's proper name. There's also nothing but piles of boxes and crates on the first floor, so up to the second we go.

This is Iris's bedroom, evidently. And for the first time, there's no prompt to sleep in her giant bed.

Why do I have to point this out

Oh, and Iris does art. She's still got nothing new to say.

Until tomorrow then!

KANNO: Cinnamon and Candy's parents are still doing research at the Imperial Magic Academy.

KANNO: I would die if I didn't have anyone to make food for me. That's why I called those two over.

You should just learn how to subsist on knowledge like Selphy. Seems to work well for her. It's also past 11 PM at this point, but the Clock Tower is unique in that we can always enter the main rooms, regardless of the time.

Also I don't know what's up with the "Imperial" part there, unless it implies that the usually evil neighboring empire has a magic academy. They're kinda magitek oriented so I guess it makes sense, but I always interpreted them as being more mechanical than not.

CANDY: Good evening!

Also Candy's still up for some reason. I guess it's kinda hard to tell the kid with nature spirit power to go to sleep at a reasonable hour.

She's also blocking the way to the Runey Distribution Viewer so that I have to ask her directly.

CANDY: Do you want to make Tree Rune Stone?

I need one of these for something soon, and there's far too many of the darned things around, so it's not a loss.

Also for whatever reason she gets tears in her eyes over this. I don't know why.

CANDY: Here's Tree Rune Stone.

You got Tree Rune Stone!

And then to close out the night, I finish migrating the bulk of the Runeys from the Shrub Farm Homestead to the Church District. Knowing what I know now, I can grind up Runeys this way and work on my ultimate goal of bringing at least a few zones to prosperity.

I don't have it stacked to the exact 50/50/50/35+ I need yet, but it is prosperous, so my mass strawberry and fodder operations will continue.

It's a new day! Wow!

Given that being inside the barn stops time like any other building, I've been starting out these days by getting all the brushing out of the way.

ANETTE: I always get pestered by monsters.

ANETTE: There was one that bothered me earlier. I tripped and skinned my knee. Look!

BUSH: You're right. That must have been bad.

ANETTE: Maybe I smell really good to them...

Anette's evidently still having monster troubles.

After that, I resume the endless picking of strawberries. In time, Grant the Ant will be able to help out with this, but his friendship with us needs to get a bit higher before he'll do a decent job at it.

It takes me until 11:10 AM to get all the farm work done. Sheesh.

Well, in the coming days I'll be able to cut watering the fodder out of my schedule as I'll have more than enough for a while. That, and the Toyherbs should finally finish growing too, which shaves a little more time off.

By the end of Summer, I should be ready to grab the next tier of watering can which will also reduce the time I spend watering by 66%. Every watering can upgrade is a big boost to the amount of stuff I can afford to grow with my limited daytime.

In short, this is just gonna be the 8 days of some real hefty labor.

Surprisingly, a lot of the conversation pool in the Church District is dry today, but Selphy is at least here to deliver.

SELPHY: Say... Wanna buy some books?

BUSH: Selphy... Are you out of money again...?

SELPHY: Well, there's a book I want but my wallet's empty. Please! Think of it as doing me a favor!

BUSH: Sure!

SELPHY: Awesome! That's my Bush! So generous!

SELPHY: Then how about this book... Wait, not this one... I haven't read it yet...

SELPHY: Hm... I don't know what to do! There aren't any books I can sell! Should I sell it for now then buy it back later...? No...

BUSH: Ahaha... I'll come back after things settle down.

:allears:

I can also unfortunately relate to this all too well. :negative:

~The Cornucopia Tree~

"The Adventures of John Arthur Sec.1, Ch.9, Pt.4, P.S. 'Cornucopia Tree'"

"At the very moment I was about to draw my last breath, I saw trees upon trees, so laden with fruit, it looked as though the branches would break."

"I tried everything to get my eager hands on the fruits, from climbing to throwing rocks. My desperation gave me strength."

"However, not a single fruit would budge, not even once."

"Alas! If I only had a hammer with me, I could have eaten one! I would have been able to survive long enough to see the next fruit bearing season..."

A bit grim there. And wordy. Did you really need all the stuff at the front?

Either way, this is a hint to hit trees with your hammer for fruit. I'll go back and do that another time before the season ends.

ROSETTA: Did the Moondrop flower grow nicely?

BUSH: Yes, it did.

ROSETTA: Oh.. So that rumor was true. Show them to me next time.

BUSH: Sure, but they're on Whale Island so it's dangerous.

ROSETTA: Whale Island, huh... If only there weren't any monsters there, it would make a great tourist attraction. Too bad.

BUSH: Ahaha... That's just like you to think of it that way, Rosetta.

I mean, I have the flowers with me if you wanted to see them.

Missed opportunities like these to go out with a character is something that would be capitalized on in RF3. Just hand pretty much anyone a sword and have them come fight with you. That or the actual dates you could do. Those existed too.

TURNER: Uh oh... I drank too much last night... and now I feel..

Only new dialogue inside the Snowstyle is Turner about to lose his lunch.

EUNICE: I'm glad to hear that you come to the bar often, but please be sure not to over drink.

BUSH: Don't worry about me. I only come to the bar to buy food.

EUNICE: Oh, really...? I guess I'm strange to worry about over drinking in a bar.

:smith:

EUNICE: I used to feel lonely but I have many more friends now.

EUNICE: Lara is so kind and pretty... I really look up to her.

:unsmith:

Nobody else has anything interesting to say, so I spend a while managing Runeys.

I've found that the Runey biz gets a bit better than it sounds on paper when you set up everything right, and it does make for something to do if you need to burn time, but it remains to be work. It's work that's even missing that relaxing edge the farming can have.

The problem is that it's just very "ugh" before you get it set up right.

At least Melody's got something interesting to say today.

MELODY: Say, Bush. Hear me out.

BUSH: What is it?

MELODY: The hot springs seem to be coming out slower recently. Maybe something happened to the Whale Island hot spring?

MELODY: Can you got take a look at it?

BUSH: No problem. You can count on me!

MELODY: Thanks, Bush! ♪

NOLAN: Hot springs are very nice. Not only do they warm your body, they warm your soul as well.

Fully refreshed, it's time to go see what's up with the island on our way to talk to Iris. Going to talk to her is required to be part of our schedule for at least a couple days, so be expecting our days to run up to 11 PM on the regular from now on.

???: Bush, it seems that your adventures are going well.

BUSH: Yes, and it's all thanks to you.

???: That's good to hear...

???: Bush...

IRIS?: If you'd like, could you please come to my place so we can talk?

IRIS?: Though I may not seem like it, I really like to have company.

BUSH: Oh, really? All right. Just call me over whenever you want.

The problem with these little psychic conversations is that the speaker is left up to interpretation. You've only got context and nothing else. I'm guessing that was Iris, given the last half.

Apparently she can just telepathically communicate with us like the island does. Or was she the island at the start? Who knows?

Music: Whale Island Cave

What I do know is that it's time for MOOOOOORE TAAAAAAAAMING

Multiple 1 damage kicks to the shin later and Gobbs the Goblin joins the crew in record time!

When we get to the second room of the cave, we find this big lad blocking the way of the hot springs.

BUSH: Excuse me...

He speaks telepathically as well.

GIANT: Huh? Who are you and what do you want with me?

BUSH: If you sit there, it'll stop the flow of the hot spring. The bathhouse owner is getting really mad.

BUSH: Would you please move?

GIANT: Why should I move for you people? I like this place.

BUSH: Please...

GIANT: Fine, fine...

*He stops to scratch his abs, then the back of his head for a second*

GIANT: Then how about this?

GIANT: You bring me some ice cream.

GIANT: Then I'll move.

BUSH: Ice cream, right? I'll bring it right away!

"Right away" is a bit of an overstatement. While we can make it now with materials from the bar, I forget that we can for a couple days.

It's not like there's a timer on this quest or anything. The hot springs continue to work fine regardless.

Up next on taming is AAAAANOTHER WOOOOOOLY!

We call this one Micah to match up with Raven the Clucky from earlier, these two names being RF3 references. That's some IN THE RING FACTS 4 U!

Depending on how much time passes between RF2 and RF3 chronologically, it's possible the two characters referenced here may not even born yet in Frontier. Hard to say, as the only metric to go by is trying to estimate how much older Yue is.

WHO'S GOT MILK?

We've also got two Buffamoos on the agenda, and they beat us up pretty badly as there's really no good time to get in there with the brush. Good thing we've got some levels and gear on us.

WE GOT MILK!

Our two cows are Daisy and Momo, the latter being a default name I liked enough.

IRIS: Thank you for coming. There's nothing here but please make yourself at home.

She's not wrong, there's absolutely nothing to interact with in here aside from her.

IRIS: Oh, your name was Bush, was it?

IRIS: I'm surprised to see that this island is shaped like a whale.

She says this like she's almost forgotten who we are already. Kindred spirits in amnesia, maybe?

The fact that she didn't know this island looks like a whale is peculiar. We'll find out the reason why later.

IRIS: A wondrous girl. Sleeps during the day to stay out of the sun. Loves flowers.

This is her profile entry. Although I might not have explicitly pointed it out yet, you have to wait until after 6:00 PM to talk to her at all. My schedule is stuffed enough already that getting to that time isn't much of an issue, but it doesn't stop each individual day taking me 30 - 50 minutes to play through.

I like this game so far, so while I don't mind playing more of it, I can't deny that it can drag a little bit to have each day be like this.

After this, I grind a level off of wolves to restore Bush's HP, and set about taming one. Unfortunately, their hitbox on their lunge can be large and lasts a bit longer than it should, kicking me off on a number of my attempts.

I instead find it's easier to land the brush hit while it's turning. Still doesn't stop Bush from almost dying to this.

And our wolf shall be known as Pony. Because Bush can tell that this is obviously a small horse in disguise.

With that, Bush returns to the surface to tidy up a few last loose ends before the day's up.

RITA: Listen, Bush. My husband got drunk and passed out here the other day.

RITA: He really needs to know how it feels to clean up after him...

Here's the Snowstyle continuing to get depressing. The first time we came here it was pointed out that this comes out of the business's pocket, and the conversation with Eunice today already shows she has an amount of anxiety about all this, so...

At this point I'm having a hard time telling if this was intentional, or if it was still supposed to be a comedy thing that just got written wrong.

Anyways, I'm just here to buy more rice, not discuss the topic of alcoholism in a game with pacifist magic swords.

I go and pet all the new animals added to the barn. It'll take a few days, but you'll see why I wanted to keep a slot open.

Given I have a load of RP still leftover, I spend it all fishing into the night. This'll help me stock up a hefty pile of gifts for Uzuki and Cinnamon, as well as let me make a lot more RP extending food.

Technically, any food I eat is a loss in potential profits, but I'm not that stingy. This food makes using magic easier, and returns more RP than it took to make it so I can extend farming operations if needed.

...And if I was being stingy, it so happens that on our homestead the Pale Carp, the best fish present, has a low amount of RP restored for a high selling price, and the cheapest fish, the Chub, restores a lot of RP.

With that, I head to bed. We've got some big goals to accomplish before the end of Spring, and these next few days are going to be some hard workin'.

Join us next time where it gets HOT in the next frame.

...Not that kind of hot. The temperature kind of hot.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 19, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Current Voting Update: Future Weapon Choices

Right now, we've got

Spears - 1
Axes - 1
Hammers - 2
Magic - 4

Voting on this won't close for a while, as even when I buy the upgraded forge, I've also got to buy the much more expensive next tier of crafting book.

We will also have some voting soon on the appearance of our kitchen and forge, but I'm holding off on that for now. While I want to be able to get updates done ahead of time and it is a hard stopping point at the moment, I don't want to get ahead of myself and reach the next upcoming major vote, the first bachelorette vote, which I can't really have the thread vote on in advance.

Working out of a backlog of only recordings and not being able to play any more of the game until the updates catch up to it doesn't sound too great to me. I find being able to play the game a bit helps me stop any procrastination I might have on writing the next update.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 1, 2021

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Let's become a master of Magic!

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 17: Jammin'

Rice Ball Lv:2 was synthesized with expertise!

Salutations! We begin this Friday with some cooking.

And brushing our animals, as usual.

BUSH: Okay, Pony! Let's go!

I decide to take our most-definitely-a-horse with us.

Pony moves somewhere just under double our normal run speed, so she really helps to get places faster.

She does have a slower turn than Bush's full control on foot, but it's not much of a hassle.

What is a bit more of a hassle is that I can't pause or really do anything but move and attack while riding.

ANETTE: Here you go!

We also grab our mail from Annette today.

~"Any medicinal herbs?" - Melody~

My hobby is concocting various medicine among other things. The thing is, I'm short on a few crucial ingredient right now. If you have any Green Grass, would you be willing to share some with me? Please? ♪

Asking for this random herb in the mail makes a lot more sense than it would seem at first. Green grass is kinda rare and doesn't grow in this season.

We luckily happen to have two on hand, so we can spare one for Melody. At least she's probably not creating as questionable potions as Marian does in RF3.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to catch up to Annette in the Business District, so this'll have to wait until tomorrow.

We are able to catch Danny outside his store.

DANNY: Oh, it's you. You haven't come to my store in a while either.

BUSH: Um... is something wrong?

DANNY: Ever since that Rosetta girl opened up shop, I've lost all of my customers.

DANNY: Hey, Bush... Why am I not getting any customers?

BUSH: Uh...

It's because you sell nothing but turnip seeds, cooking oil, and cheap accessories. I can get anything you're selling from other places, my dude.

DANNY: Hey! You just looked away!

BUSH: I didn't...

DANNY: Just you watch! I'll show you!

ROSETTA: The fish are on sale today!

BUSH: Rosetta, aren't you going to put the seeds on sale?

ROSETTA: Sorry, I work on a really low margin with the seeds so I can't sell them any cheaper. I get a lot so you can grow lots of vegetables.

I feel like at some point, they forgot that Rosetta only sells flower seeds in this game. Either that, or the devs forgot that Erik existed.

One can only wonder if these little oddities and it's unclear story as a sequel can speak to this game originally being much different in early production.

No way to know, really.

BUSH: Oh... Thank you for that.

ROSETTA: It's all right. We're like a team.

Flowers do make good money, I can't lie. That and she's the only person I can sell stuff to. I don't know who buys all the strawberries and cooked fish I ship, but she seems to make a profit off it.

UZUKI: The weather is so nice. Respecting the sun is common among all cultures.

UZUKI: They say, "Spring is the daybreak of the year." This season is compared to the beauty of the sunrise.

It feels like a lot of characters say that first sentence- it's even a voiced line for most of them!

TSUBUTE: Are you ready, milady?

TSUBUTE: Though we are living in foreign lands, we cannot forget traditions and etiquette. Rather it is because we are living in foreign lands that we must cherish the traditions of olden days.

UZUKI: I know, I know. Do I seem that remiss to you?

TSUBUTE: N-no, not at all...

UZUKI: Then shut your mouth.

:vince:

Uzuki doesn't put up with Tsubute's nagging.

UZUKI: I ate quite a lot of fish back in my country. That's why when I eat fish dishes here, it reminds me of my home.

UZUKI: But Tsubute often scolds me to stop eating so much fish and to eat some vegetables, too.

Fish is about 95% of Bush's diet at this point. It's a good thing I don't have to worry about the population levels of the fish.

BUSH: Eunice, have you been in this village since you were born?

EUNICE: No, I used to live in a much larger town. Dad used to work at an inn there, and Mom happened to be staying there one night.

BUSH: So Rita was a guest.

EUNICE: Yes. Mom wasn't born in Norad.

EUNICE: She just came to the Kingdom of Norad while on vacation. She stopped at the inn but lost her wallet somewhere...

EUNICE: She supposedly worked at the bar next door to pay off her inn bill.

BUSH: That's a really strange turn of fate.

EUNICE: I know! I really wish I could have that sort of fateful encounter, too...

EUNICE: I mean, um... How embarassing...

So, Rita's either from the Empire, the Kingdom of Roland, the Republic of Eucraft, or whatever place Lute is from that I forget the name of.

There's a lot of strands of worldbuilding just laying about Rune Factory, but they've never gone as far as to properly define any of it.

EUNICE: Taking a nap in the sky...

EUNICE: I'm a bit envious of the whale.

BUSH: Oh... I haven't read this book yet.

Down at the library, Selphy's not around, being a Friday and all.

~Boating 101~

"You can find boats in many lakes. Stand by the boat and press the A Button to get on."

"Once on the boat, press the B Button to move forward and press the A Button at a dock to get off the boat."

There is only 1 lake with a boat in this game, and in order to go really fast, you have to time your B Button presses. There's also a festival regarding boats later on in the game.

That's all there really is to be said about boats.

This book was kinda short and Bush's quest for KNOWLEDGE knows no bounds, so I go ahead and read the last book on this shelf.

~Jane and I~

"My partner Jane is a Chitter. She lives in a monster pen in my yard."

"I met Jane on a glorious day in spring. The moment I laid eyes on her, I just knew I had to have her. I took my Pet Glove and brushed her as if my life depended on it, and she understood."

"Thus began our life together. I fed her and brushed her everyday with my Pet Glove, and we became closer day by day."

"Soon, Jane began helping me with my work. She was always with me, even during my travels. Jane and I are as close as can be."

"So today, I have decided to give Jane this 'Rune Stone.' For the sake of a new life with her..."

Just some person and their incredibly normal relationship with their fox-squirrel. Yep. Yeeeeep.

This is a more creative and interesting way to create a tutorial book, but it does always come at the cost of not being explicitly clear on what to do.

As for the Rune Stone thing, I don't actually know what giving it to a monster does. I'll have to try it sometime.

Nobody has anything else interesting to say today, but I can say that the Church District's Runey Situation is doing real nice. :golfclap:

So with this, I can confirm that stacking a non-Homestead area to 50,50,50,35+ will net you a result of 60,60,60,35+ -2.

This is going to be a nice income of Runeys, and it should make reaching prosperity in other zones pretty easy.

For the sake of your sanity, I'd suggest moving one of each Runey in your inventory up to the top somewhere while sticking the rest in your box. Makes it faster to check the numbers as well as for releasing them.

I'd also just do this with your gifts, saves you time on moving them to the held item slot.

(Oh, how I wish this game had the shortcut context menus for consumable items like the handheld games do.)

Something that surprised me, and proves to make Runey management not as painful as it sounds on paper is how they clump together at high numbers.

They didn't seem to do this on the Homestead, but here they seem to be bunching together in groups of 7-15. Aside from not rendering the entire map a strobe light blanket of the 200+ Runeys, it also means...

You can suck up a lot of them at once.

This is a goddamn breeze compared to the cherry picking I have to do on the Grass Runey Farm. Suck up a couple piles, and provided you were only carrying 1 of each to start with, throw all but 11 of each non-Grass back, as well as all but 1 Grass Runey.

Bam, no checking of the distribution map required. At the end of each day, just throw the 30 generated runeys into the box. I didn't even think about it before, but you can easily maintain stasis in every other region with just this surplus.

It's... really not that bad. Yet.

Would be a right darn shame if the game didn't tell you about any of this and made everything incredibly frustrating for everyone who ever played it, instead opting to tell you to "just experiment".

Just imagine if they did that :v:

SELPHY: You know what? I really hate jewels.

BUSH: What?! That's really rare. I thought most women like jewels.

SELPHY: Probably. But just don't ask me why, okay? It's elementary, my dear Watson!

BUSH: (Who's Watson?)

there are no words

SELPHY: There are some people who get dizzy when they read. I just don't get them

SELPHY: The book isn't a monster.

I'm pretty sure that's not why they get dizzy.

I don't have anything else to say here aside from that she occasionally does a little twirl.

BUSH: I've seen this hole before... I think it was inside Whale Island...

BUSH: Hm... I can't get it out anymore.

I don't think I ever really pointed it out, but ever since the beginning of the game a little sapling has been growing here. If I had some reason for not mentioning it, I forgot what it was. Don't get mad at me, forgetting stuff is in character for Rune Factory games.

Said sapling has since grown into a tree that we can put a Tree Rune Stone into. We'll see what this gets us tomorrow.

Then I spend the rest of the day up until the bathhouse opens collecting cherries and doing the rest of the farmwork I hadn't finished.

MIST: When I see you work in the fields, it makes me want to try it myself.

MIST: But I don't have a field of my own.

This is just directly trolling anyone who played the first game. The game where she foists an entire farm onto you, including a massive field she never touched. She kinda gave us this field too, so all I've got at this point is these two combined:

:argh: :negative:

There's really nothing else of note the dialogue for the rest of the day, so up to the Tower of Rest it is.

Really should have remembered to bring Pony for this. Cuts about 45 minutes off the trip.

IRIS: The weather is so nice today.

I swear, so many people say this line.

BUSH: Do you draw, Iris?

IRIS: Yes. I draw with ink and charcoal. Unfortunately, I'm terrible at it.

IRIS: I hope you'll come see this drawing after I finish it!

Can't draw: Relatable

Wants to show bad drawings: Not Relatable

Result: Please Try Again Later

IRIS: Bush, are you still exploring the ruins?

IRIS: Pardon me for saying so, but you just don't look very strong. Please be careful.

Bush doesn't need arm strength, he's got MAGIC! :science:

CINNAMON: I feel I catch more fish when I sing.

CINNAMON: It's a mystery because you're supposed to catch less when you make sounds.

Cinnamon may be a Disney Princess in the making.

Music: Chickogriff

SUDDENLY BOSS FIGHT TIME

I spend the rest of the night attempting Chickogriff again. This here is one of it's new attacks, a five projectile fan of deadly feathers. These hurt a lot.

Our sword does not hurt the boss very much.

The Earth Wand however does very impressive damage. I theorize that if I'd used this on the lower level version of the boss, I would have deleted it almost instantly.

As Chickogriff is such a large lad, he ends up getting hit by our magic anywhere from 2 to 6 times per cast. Each hit is still doing around 30 to 45 damage with it's greatly increased defense, so you'd be surprised to see how little of a dent we still put in it's health bar.

On the other hand, his charge is much less clumsy now and also hits for 88. There's no stumbling onto it's side after, and it comes out much faster, so get ready to have your rear end kicked.

The other two new attacks are a combo together. He flies up around the arena, dropping eggs that turn into hostile Cluckys...

And then tries to supersonic divebomb us.

This hits for about 140 if you're wondering. Bush barely survives it at full health.

A few attempts later and I finally manage to get the boss to rage mode level HP. It is absolutely terrifying how fast it moves now.

The trick to keeping this boss under control is staying somewhat close to it, and staying on guard for this attack. He'll rear up, do a loud call with a spark appearing in front of his mouth, then charge at your position.

As soon as his feet touch the ground, the position he charges at is locked, so that's your opportunity to get out of the way.

Cast the Earth Wand once while he's still briefly recovering from the charge, and then do it again from a distance as he turns around to face you.

He'll try doing the big charge not long after this, so just keep this on repeat and you can kinda manipulate his AI to remove a lot of the danger.

Just be sure make that distance between you and him. He slams the ground every time he turns around, and that'll hit Bush for around 130 HP.

And with that, more Wine has been duped. I don't really have much of a reason to dupe it outside of cash, but it's there if I ever need money and don't feel like getting it legitimately. In the future, I may consider duping favorite bachelorette gifts if possible, as some of them just take too many materials on the regular.

Our Wine stack is now up to 12, worth 12,000G, so now it's finally a profit over the 6000G I paid for it.

Among random feathers, rice, and eggs, the boss drops a Lv.10 Giant Cockscomb, the highest it can be, and a free Wind Crystal for us. There's also a decent bit of Copper, a rather useful secondary metal that normally shows up more in later dungeons.

There was also a Boiled Egg dish around here somewhere for some reason. It may have spawned after on one of the Clucky eggs got broken mid-combat.

Before tomorrow, Bush uses the last of his energy to make a Cheap Band, then use that to make a Copper Bracelet.

Cu Bracelet Lv:1 was synthesized.

It wasn't really possible to synthesize it with expertise, unfortunately. Aside from a small attack boost, it'll give us +10 magic at the cost of lesser defense compared to our old iron bracelets.

Music: Trampoli

With that, we start the next day! 25th of Spring, a Holiday. Lute's got something we're gonna want today, and it marks us as having only 5 days to make almost 40,000G.

I really want to get our house's forge and kitchen expanded before Summer starts. Better tools and better food will really help us in the future.

Nobody really needs medicine in this game when a salad heals 203 HP. Heck, Toast heals 50 and you only need flour to make it.

Our monsters also like us enough now that we can finally get their harvestables. Wooly makes wool, Clucky makes eggs, and Buffamoo make milk.

Also, the Toyherbs are almost done. These will be a big jump in money gained.

EUNICE: What do you think of this village?

EUNICE: I love how quiet this village is. Bush, I hope you will like it too.

I mean, overall, it's pretty chill here.

UZUKI: Training every single morning is crucial. You must swing the naginata at least 300 times or else your skills will wane.

UZUKI: They say that if you miss even one day of training, you will need 10 days to make up for that lost time

That's some hardcore training. I don't want to actually count it all, but I do wonder if Uzuki actually does 300 swings per day. She spends about 6 hours doing it every day, so... probably?

ROSETTA: When I go out of the village to stock up on supplies, I end up buying food on the way. Why is street stall food so good?

It is a mystery to us all, but can we really complain about good food?

LUTE: I feel the happiest when I'm painting.

I missed the chance to talk to Lute on our last Thursday, so here he is. Given you meet him so rarely, it's hard to raise his FP with just talking. His favorite gift is chocolate, so I'll try to grab some of that next time I'm at the bar.

While I'm here, I net the Handy Pot and the Yarn Maker. The pot is the last utensil we can get for our tiny kitchen and will make us a bit more money in the coming days, while the maker is for making use of our wool.

SELPHY: The book I wrote the other day actually got pretty popular. I'm thinking of the next one! This is getting exciting!

But we never got to read it... :eng99:

~Intro to Runey Research~

"A certain Rune Wonder can create stones called 'Rune Stones'."

"Rune Stones are simply a hardened cluster of Runes. It has been rumored that the kingdom of Norad has been researching ways to move objects with these stones."

"There are even doors that use Rune Stones as keys, so it is truly a curious object."

"If you come across a door that just won't open, give a Rune Stone a try."

At some point I'll remember to try opening that one on Whale Island.

~Family Medicine~

"This book wi1l discuss the symptoms of various diseases so that the reader may accurately treat any condition at home."

"Poison: HP decreases by 1/16 of the total every 5 seconds.
Poison cannot bring HP down to 0.
Note purple bubbles by the head. Heals over time."

"Paralysis: Unable to run. Movement speed halves for monsters.
Note electric bolt by the head.
Heals over time."

"Seal: Unable to use special attacks. Limits monsters to one type of attack.
Note the X mark by the head.
Heals over time."

"Stun: Unable to move for a time.
Note stars by the head.
Heals over time."

"Exhaustion: RP decreases at 2x the rate. Damage dealt halves for monsters.
Note blue haze by the head.
Heals over time."

"Cold: RP decreases at 3x normal rate. Can be caught wen working late at night or fainting form overwork.
Does not heal over time."

"If you catch any of the above illnesses, take medicine or go to a nearby nurse."

"Take medicine". What astounding advice.

That's a list of all the status effects in the game, outside of the little red apple that shows you have a food buff active.

Also Selphy is firmly in the lead in regards to LP. She's already at about 3.3 LP, and nobody else has even passed 2.

LARA: This season is very pleasant. I just love spring.

Thank you for not saying the weather is so nice, Lara.

LARA: The Energy Drink, as the name suggests, is a medicine that recovers your life. Be sure to take some with you.

Toast heals more than the low level energy drink, and it boosts max HP by a decent amount. Also, given the energy drink is blue and called an "energy drink" you'd think it'd restore RP not HP.

I miss the good old Recovery Potions from 1 and 2.

CINNAMON: Last year, I went flower viewing with Candy. It was fun. I...might want to do it again this year.

Here's the first mention of our first festival! It's only been almost a whole season, about time we had one.

BUSH: Whoa! Was this tree this big?

BUSH: Wow... I think I can go inside from here...

The Lava Ruins are now open!

Our second seasonal dungeon is unlocked! All it requires is a Tree Rune stone and beating the Green Ruins, I believe.

We'll be taking a peek in there today, mostly to quickly unlock the shortcut to the second floor. We can finally obtain Silver in here, so we can net the resources we'll need to start upgrading our tools again.

MELODY: So you're going to the Lava Ruins...

MELODY: That place is hot, so taking a bath after you break a good sweat can feel wonderful.

Gonna need that bath afterwards as this dungeon is going to leave Bush very beat up. The power level jump here is major.

Music: Lava Ruins

(New music! If this is a remix of a previous track, I can't really put my finger on it's origin, so I'm assuming it's entirely new. This track is really chill for how hectic this dungeon is, but I think it's fantastic nonetheless.)

Lava Ruins, B1F

First thing we find is a new enemy! These black ants are Killer Ants and are pretty much just boosted versions of the normal Ants.

Yay, palette swaps!

The shortcut door is just over to the right and down the stairs, although we have to properly unlock them.

These here are Ghosts. These can mow grass for you when tamed, thanks to already having a scythe.

Their big thing is that they can warp around a bit and they can deal nasty crits. Luckily, I'm just going to breeze past these spooks and get on with it.

This dungeon is layers upon layers of broken rooms and staircases, so I'm not expecting to really give you a coherent mental map of how it's laid out.

Behind this wall is a timed explosive barrel thing. You hit them to clear out these piles of rubble spread about, and they can be useful for cheesing some enemies.

Up a staircase and we find another new enemy! These are Elefun, the second ridable monster, and the first one capable of watering crops.

Their two attacks are a long range water spray and a clumsy charge attack. Despite this, they do a lot of damage, are weirdly strong overall, and I'm most definitely taming one.

I end up trapping one in this side room so I don't have to deal with both of them trying to kill Bush.

Takes a good many brushings, but I finally tame one and name it Phanty, which is just the default name with a y on the end. Being capable of dealing high water damage and tanking a lot in return, they'll be useful for fighting through a lot of this dungeon.

Lava Ruins B2F

After a decent amount of flailing about on the first floor, I finally remember how to get to the staircase downwards.

I only made it as far as unlocking the third floor shortcut in here on my original playthrough, but I do remember how to get through this floor somewhat.

I won't deny that my Elefun carried me through a decent bit of it, a number of guides recommend having upwards of 70 Weapons skill by this point which is just plain ridiculous.

For reference, Bush's weapon and magic skills are only about 25 each.

These blue colored Chitters are called Furpys.

They're just stronger recolors, and that's all. I can be thankful that they're not Furbies.

This here is the creatively named Duck. They spit water balls.

However, they also will just start dancing to some funky disco-ish music, spotlight and all. They do this occasionally.

Then they scream loudly and loving EXPLODE

:psyduck:

...It doesn't harm them at all.

Over here, we've got Mini Golems. This was a miniboss in the first Rune Factory game, and the real boss wasn't much different.

They hit like trains, are very bulky, and can easily KO you or your pet monsters. These rock jerks hit almost as hard as the buffed Chickogriff does.

Not only can they fire volleys of fireballs or shoot you with rocket fists, as shown here, they also have a spinning punch with a wide range.

The area right next to this is a big region for farm fields, with the northern-most section blocked off by rocks we need a silver hammer for.

The rocks here drop copper on occasion, which is nice.

To the east then north past some more golems, we finally find our first rocks that can drop the ever precious Silver.

If you head south and a bit east from the big room with farm fields, you'll find the shortcut back to this floor.

With that, I'm out of there.

To start Bush's moneymaking operations I stick a strawberry into the pot we we just bought. I don't have any recipe books for it, but I already know this exists.

Berry Jam Lv:1 was synthesized.

Turning strawberries into jam not only makes a nice magic boosting food, it raises it's value by 30%!

That only comes out to a total value of 130g, but still. If I start converting my mass amount of strawberries this way, I'll make an extra 1000g for every 33 strawberries. Not bad given I get 32 free to sell per day.

Since I don't own the recipe book for it, making it is rather difficult and getting expertise synthesis on this is pretty much frame perfect. It'll also never get easier until I get the book.

Unfortunately, our storage box is getting full thanks to how I can't stack junk metal of different qualities.

They'll come in handy as soon as I can get the upgraded forge.

In other random tidbits before I end the update, Selphy's just in the clock tower for some reason.

I then do some math and put the Beach into prosperity. I'll be coming here a lot during Summer, and it's also a big area so the clumps of Runeys should be easy to manage.

Before hitting the hay, Bush has a full RP bar ready to be spent on making preserves.

Now that's some Jammin'. I only got through half my stack of 45, but it's profit!

Join us next time, where we enter the last week of Spring and go full in on money production!

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 19, 2023

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Huh. I wonder if the reason that Doug (from RF4) likes ducks is not really because of their name, but because they apparently can explode and take no damage. Sounds like something he would enjoy.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

Huh. I wonder if the reason that Doug (from RF4) likes ducks is not really because of their name, but because they apparently can explode and take no damage. Sounds like something he would enjoy.

Doug keeping more secrets, sounds about right :ninja:

It should go without explanation that the duckdiscosplosion hurts a lot. Like everything in the Lava Ruins.

We haven't even seen the worst of it yet :shepface:

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Can you tame bosses in this? RF4 becomes completely and hilariously broken by this.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

mastersord posted:

Can you tame bosses in this? RF4 becomes completely and hilariously broken by this.

I had no idea you could in RF4. Huh. Well, given you could just break RF4 just by using the dash button, I can imagine how broken it is.

While I've never tried in Frontier, I believe some dialogue warns that you can't. I'm pretty sure RF3 doesn't permit boss taming either, so I think that's probably an RF4 addition.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Odd Wilson posted:

I had no idea you could in RF4. Huh. Well, given you could just break RF4 just by using the dash button, I can imagine how broken it is.

While I've never tried in Frontier, I believe some dialogue warns that you can't. I'm pretty sure RF3 doesn't permit boss taming either, so I think that's probably an RF4 addition.

RF4 lets you become so ridiculously powerful through monster friends (and a level cap of 50,000) that you become a better villain than the villain. I hope they acknowledge that in RF5!

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 18: Bakin' Carrot Biscuits

THIS TIME, ON RUNE FACTORY FRONTIER

BUSH: All right, I put a Wool in.

EXTREME WOOL SPINNING

You got a Yarn Ball

Why do we want this?

FOR EXTREME KNITTING

Hand-Knit Hat Lv:1 was synthesized.

This hat's an increase in 10 defense and 15 magic over our straw hat, so while it'll be very out of season for Summer, it will quite good to have.

I liked the look of the straw hat more, but I like this too.

Daily chores happen, nothing new here.

ANETTE: You want htis Green Grass delivered, right? Leave it to me.

Had to chase her down to Mist's house to deliver the grass to Melody. I know it's been a long while since I've followed her on her mail route, but these days I don't have as much time as I had before.

ANETTE: I hear there's a big monster that lays these big eggs in the Green Ruins.

ANETTE: I'm sure if you boiled that huge egg, it would taste great!

I'm not sure if size of eggs affects taste. Then again, I'm not much of an egg guy.

Music: Pinch

ANETTE: You're kidding right? What is this thing doing inside the mailbox?

ANETTE: Calm down, Anette... Calm down. It has to be some sort of mistake. That has to be it!

What this "thing" is, we may never know.

Music: Title Theme

(We haven't heard this in a long time, so let's just listen to this for the rest of today.)

Back on the farm, one set of Toyherbs have finally grown. No wait, sorry, 'Toy Herbs'. Anyways, being flowers they don't have that many uses aside from being sold. Luckily for us, these are worth an amazing 900g a piece.

This should be a hefty influx of cash on its own.

~"Have you found out anything?" - Uzuki~

Bush,
Have you found anything about my brother?
I do not care how small of a detail it may be.
Please, inform me promptly.

As far as my knowledge extends, we only learn stuff about her brother late into her LP events. Somewhere in the 6-7 range, I think.

I accidentally backed out of the mailbox, so I've got to go inside to check my letters.

As it turns out, there's a few letters we somehow haven't seen! I guess these were put in with the initial mail stack or something. I don't know why they didn't just put them through the normal process.

~"It's Eunice." - Eunice~

Congratulations on your move-in!
Please allow me to re-introduce myself.
I am Eunice, the daughter of the Innkeeper.
Most townsfolk do not frequent the Inn, but please, feel free to come by anytime.

----------------------
-------------------------------

This doesn't read anything like Eunice, but whatever. People don't always write like they talk after all.

~"Congrats on your move-in!" - Anette~

Congrats on moving in.
I guess I'll see you around.

I still can't help but wonder if these are some sort of development leftovers.

~"I hear you found the Lava Ruins." - Kanno~

I hear you have entered the Lava Ruins.
That place once was a Norad research facility, studying the effects of heat on Runes.

You may burn your feet if you don't be carful, so always be stay alert.

"Always be stay alert" would be the update title if I wasn't trying to keep to this food theme. There's a number of typos in this game that seem like they're just second-pass edits gone wrong.

~"Welcome to Trampoli" - Stella~

I would like to represent this town and welcome you to Trampoli.
If you have any questions, come by and talk to me anytime.
I'm at the church during the day, and in the evenings... I'm usually at the tavern.

Yeah, she's usually in there. I just haven't really pointed her out because she rarely has anything new to say. She does get some quite interesting conversations later, but raising her FP is hard.

TSUBUTE: Milady, it gets chilly morning and night. Be sure to wear an extra layer before going out.

UZUKI: Thank you, Tsubute.

I feel like her response here is less of a genuine thanks and more of a :nallears:

UZUKI: This village's shrine, or church rather, has a very strange shape. But, I find it very beautiful.

Just the usual Uzuki things. Like most bachelorettes, her dialogue gets more varied later.

Went to check Rosetta's store for some flowers we could grow in Summer, and the shortest one, the Ironleaf, grows in 40 days. :geno:

The others take from 60-100, so I think my best bet if I want more flowers is to just plant more Toyherbs and Moondrops somewhere on Whale Island.

No other conversations of note here, so off to the Church District.

~Book of Healthy Dieting~

"The foundation of health is food! Eat healthy and stay healthy. This book will discuss the types of food you eat and the effects they have on you."

"Foods have various effects on the body, such as HP/RP recover, HP absorption, and poison attacks. An apple is displayed by the HP gauge when a food is in effect."

"You can check the status of your affected parameters in the menu, so be sure to check what foods affect what."

"Also, if you have a monster with you, the monster will share your food. In doing so, both you and your monster will be affected by the food you have eaten."

"However, remember that some monsters are immune to certain status effects and likewise fods, so be careful."

As this says, Bush can gain temporary superpowers from food. Our monsters don't even have to be present when we eat the food to gain the effects either, as long as we've got a food buff active, they get it too.

Gaining the power of vampirism from Peperoncino, which is made from garlic, is just funny to me.

Selphy has nothing new to say today, but we had plenty of her last update.

STELLA: A "Toy Herb"... I like this flower. Does it seem unfitting for me?

Not sure what's weird about liking Toyherbs. This is the only liked gift for her that I know of. Her favorite is the Four Leaf Clover which has a much longer growth cycle and is still worth way more.

I think Stella is singlehandedly the most expensive character to earn favor with. Given these toyherbs are worth so much, I'm probably going to sell them instead and I'll keep giving her meh gifts.

STELLA: Rosetta is a real hard worker. It's not easy for someone her age to run a general store.

CINNAMON: The moon is really close so it looks that big. Stars are far away so they're small.

CINNAMON: The moon only reflects the sun's light so you can see it at night.

BUSH: But the sun isn't out at night. How does it shine with the sun's light?

CINNAMON: You just don't see it at night. The sun doesn't go away.

BUSH: (I'm not sure I understand.)

More astronomy lessons with Cinnamon, alas Bush hasn't fully caught on yet :eng99:

This is also an unfinished explanation, so this is also Cinnamon's fault :colbert:

CINNAMON: I sometimes talk to Selphy at the library.

CINNAMON: She's annoying sometimes because she keeps asking to borrow Grandpa's books.

Given it's Selphy, it'd also probably be months before you get said books back.

CINNAMON: Thank you... Birthday present? I like Chub.

It also happens to be Cinnamon's birthday, the 26th of Spring. Candy's is tomorrow.

KANNO: What? Is it so rare to see me outside?

KANNO: If you think all scholars do is read books indoors, you're wrong.

Also, later in the day I find Kanno outside. He never thanks me for making his Runey research easier- I put the environment into prosperity right on your front porch!

After some Runey management, it still hasn't hit 3:00 PM yet. Regardless, I pay my turnip dues to Mist.

If you were wondering, I've still got enough turnips to carry me until Summer 17th.

I'll probably grow some up on Whale Island or something. If Greenifier didn't cost almost 10,000g, I'd almost consider trying to cultivate some max level turnips. Those would be just the most gourmet pickled turnips.

Since I've got some time to kill, I dive back down into the Lava Ruins for a bit, taking Pony with me. Maybe I can get her some levels or something.

Always more metal to get. It's not worth much, but it'll be useful when I get my upgraded forge.

The Tomahawk we made from our first Chickogriff absolutely tears the Mini-Golems apart with it's special attack. Axes are all about single target damage, so it's not unusual to see.

Of course, doesn't stop them from returning the pain. Poor Pony just got two-shot by rocket fists in the background over there.

After a lot of flailing and nearly dying here, Bush manages a level and gets that sweet, sweet full heal.

As long as you can eliminate them safely, the golems drop good metal.

Also enough experience for almost 1/4th of Bush's experience bar per golem at this level. Wow.

Almost all 500 of that fresh level up RP goes into chopping only two stumps for 20 wood. Being a lumberjack ain't easy, but that's okay. We're pretty close to the amount of wood we'll need for both house expansions already, so it's not much of an issue.

Music: By the Ocean

ROSETTA: Let's see...

ROSETTA: Oh...

ROSETTA: The items that I'm picking up today really make my work worthwhile.

Been a long time since we've seen the Rosetta event, so why not? If I was doing it reliably, her LP would be a bit higher, but the timing is hard to get with the way I've been scheduling the day.

It's also always just slightly jarring to see characters on the other side of the screen than usual.

ROSETTA: Thank you for shipping so many things out every day. Thanks to you, business is really good.

I don't know if this is actually conditional on how much you ship out, but it's nice nonetheless.

I mean, sure, her selling markup is 200% of what we sold our stuff to her for, but that's just the mercantile standard in Norad it seems. Bush is too busy with all the stuff he does to seek out customers directly anyways.

ROSETTA: Right now, I'm thinking of ways to increase the store's revenue.

ROSETTA: Say, Bush, tell me if you come up with anything.

Sell some more of those INT boosters. Bush needs ALL THE MAGIC POWER :science:

MELODY: Oh...

BUSH: What's wrong, Melody?

MELODY: Cinnamon turned me down when I asked her to teach me magic the other day.

MELODY: Know what she said?

BUSH: No...

MELODY: She said that she can't use magic now, so she can't teach me...

BUSH: Seems like it. I hear Cinnamon hasn't used any magic for years.

Since when did you hear that, Bush? I already knew it, of course, but nobody's mentioned it in-game!

MELODY: I don't care about that! I just wanna to use magic, not become a student of a wizard!

BUSH: There's a difference?

MELODY: A huge one! :argh:

MELODY: If that person can teach about magic, it doesn't matter if she can use it or not!

BUSH: Is that how it is...?

MELODY: That's how it is!

MELODY: Jeez! Now I feel even more like learning magic after talking to you, Bush!

MELODY: I'm gonna go one more time!

I do feel like we might be able to help her by just giving her that Fire Rod we got from Kanno, but I suppose she wants to know spellbook magic. There seems to be a distinction about that now, whereas it was just spellbook magic before.

MELODY: I wish I could take a pigeon out of my hat.

Then again, I still think she'd be perfectly happy with the Fire Rod.

...I still just want to know why Bush can't learn spellbook magic now.

Well, time to head up to the Tower of Rest. Making this entire trip multiple times is required for story progression, as far as I know.

I was wrong on my previous calculation- riding a monster up here takes only an in-game hour. Halving the normal trip length is much appreciated.

Even if Pony might eventually fall behind in combat, she'll always be useful to save tons of time across the course of the LP.

Bush shows off his peerless charisma by accidentally dropping the flower on the floor at Iris's feet, then staring at her awkwardly for a few seconds.

And then proceeds to water it and everything around him, her canvas included. :doh:

I make these sorts of control mistakes kinda regularly, but I don't usually show them.

She also has nothing new to say, so double :doh:

Way later in the day, I'm making more strawberry jam and fueling it with fish.

I end up converting my entire stack of strawberries in the span of about two and a half in-game hours.

That's another 6000+G in the box. This plus our current cash at about 18,000g, without selling the Toyherbs.

I continue to do more fishing late into the night and use it to fuel some cleanup on my field.

Music: Snowstyle Tavern

And then it's time for the next day. We'll just turn on the tavern's theme for most of today.

ANETTE: Here you go!

New day, new mail!

~"Thanks for the Green Grass ♪" - Melody~

Thanks for the Green Grass.
It really helped out with my most recent concoction!
By the way, do you happen to have any Red Grass on you?
If you have any, may I have
Some?♪

Yeah, we've got Red Grass. I don't know how long this request chain of Melody's goes on for, (spoilers, there's more letters in this chain,) but I do know I don't have what we'd need for the next one, and it won't be available for a long time.

However, Slimes have a 1% chance of dropping it, so maybe we go grind those for a while?

~"Guilty pleasure" - Eunice~

Hello, Bush. Did I surprise you?
Actually, I am quite fond of letters, and I often write
to various people about my thoughts and such.
Let's keep in touch, okay?

We're finally getting letters from Eunice, so that's a good thing.

Although I don't really know how much LP affects these showing up.

----------------------------------------------------
~"How goes exploring the Lava Ruins?" - Kanno~

How goes exploring the Lava Ruins?
I found this out just recently, but apparently there exists a monster
that changes its appearance based on its surroundings.
Such a monster would surely be strong, so be extremely careful.

Sounds like a giant chameleon, I guess.

it's not a giant chameleon

Last of our Toyherbs are up for harvest! This'll bring in a lot of cash for us.

STELLA: Do you know about the Four Leaf Clover? They're supposed to bring you good luck.

STELLA: I have some good memories about Four Leaf Clovers. It's all when I was young.

They also take longer than a month to grow, which for me is too long for me to care!

LARA: There are some drugs that can temporarily raise your physical and mental abilities. They can be useful so keep some on you.

Lara's promoting use of steroids now. Seems a bit odd to hear coming from a nun.

BUSH: I can't really read anything here...

It seems that the right side of the library still has some secrets it's hiding from us.

~The Green Ruins~

"The Adventures of John Arthur Section 1, Chapter 13, Part 3 'The Green Ruins'"

"Making my way through an overgrown field of young plants, I went deeper into the area called 'The Green Ruins.' Once a research facility for utilizing the powers of Runes, it is now overrun with monsters."

"It's warm and spring-like. In fact, I saw springtime plants thriving in every crevice of the ruins. I finally came to a set of stairs, but it seems someone came before me and opened the door that leads inside."

"I continued down the stairs and move forward. When I got to the 3rd basement floor I... (to be continued)"

The adventures of Wordy McWordyson mirror ours it seems. :words:

~The Lava Ruins~

"The Adventures of John Arthur Section 1, Chapter 13, Part 5 'The Lava Ruins'"

"Covered in sweat, I pressed on ahead towards the ruins that once used to house a facility devoted to researching the effects of heat on Runes. As expected, it's hot here like summer."

"I found a bomb on a seesaw on the 3rd basement floor. I slammed the opposite side of the seesaw with a hammer and successfuly cast it into a pile of rubble. I'll use the bomb to remove that pile."

"To detonate the bomb, I slashed at it. A loud noise engulfed the entire ruins.
...I don't remember anything after that. I have lost my memory."

Alas, poor John Arthur, as prone to sudden bouts of plot amnesia as our boy Bush.

Unless...? :raise:

Nah, that'd be silly.

SELPHY: The heroine in the book I'm reading right now was born on the 3rd of autumn. Apparently it has some deep meaning.

SELPHY: I'm feeling a really strong affinity towards her. That's because my birthday is also on the 3rd of autumn.

Our first birthday to write down on our calendar! It's not like it matters knowing too much, as long as you're giving gifts each day, you'll hit one. I guess maybe it helps to know if your supply of favorite gifts is small, but you could also just look up an external calendar.

Reading the books evidently give a lot of LP, in the span of two days we've managed to almost bring her to 4 LP.

Mist has just hit 3.

DANNY: How to chase that girl out... That's the problem here...

Oh, yeah, Danny's still gradually slipping into cutthroat capitalism.

ROSETTA: I bought some new clothes. Do you want to see?

----------------------
1. Sure
2. Not really...
----------------------

I took the first option here and forgot to check what the second was.

ROSETTA: Maybe later. I'm working right now so I can't wear it. I guess that's the one thing I don't like about working.

Another one of those occasions where if this game had a bit wider of scope, there could be some kind of event here. Hell, in RF2 or RF3 this would be the premise for a message board request on it's own.

ROSETTA: The seeds on the shelf are separated by season. Don't mistake which season each seed is for.

ROSETTA: They won't grow when they're not in the right season.

The seeds kinda spill over onto the other shelves so this isn't true, but they are color coded at least.

UZUKI: Bush, I heard you braved a step into the Lava Ruins.

UZUKI: How could you go into such a dangerous place...

Evidently, her naginata does not instill the same disregard for personal safety that Bush has.

EUNICE: I used to feel lonely but I have more friends now.

EUNICE: I love Melody's bath for how big it is.

That doesn't really have anything to do with her as a person, but okay sure.

Music: Kross' Theme

KROSS: So you went to the Lava Ruins.

KROSS: Heh... The monsters there aer resistant to fire and weak against ice. It's a good strategy to aim for the enemies' weaknesses.

Our only source of water damage outside our Elefun is going to be buying Water Crystals from Ganesha, so we'll eventually do that when it's time to progress deeper into the ruins.

I'm mostly aiming to progress on Whale Islands some more next, as soon as it decides I can progress :argh:

After talking to Kross and Erik, (who has nothing interesting to say,) I head on out to Lake Poli.

BUSH: What do you your parents do, Cinnamon?

CINNAMON: They're both scholars. Grandpa and I are the same. They're still doing research at the lab.

I don't think we'll ever end up meeting said parents though.

I collect what is probably the last Cherry harvest of the season, and then warp back to the Shrub Farm Homestead.

MIST: Were you fighting monsters again? You sure like to do that, don't you?

Mist, I haven't fought any monsters today. Just slammed trees with a hammer, that's all.

MARCO: There's an entrance to some ruins on the way to the lake.

MARCO: I wish I could down there.

If you mean as in getting knocked down, Lava Ruins will absolutely do that to ya, kid.

CANDY: Thanks! Heehee. I got a birthday present.

It was just some Blue Grass, but it's something. Her only liked gift is juices. I guess Juicewave is more her style than Bluegrass.

NOLAN: When spring comes, that sweet fragrance of the strawberries tells me that the season has officially begun.

NOLAN: I suppose that was a bit cheesy...

Spring's also almost over, my dude.

IRIS: This is a very nice and quiet place. It never gets too cold or too hot...

IRIS: Have you thought about moving here, Bush?

If it was an option, Bush probably would. Dangerous monsters aside, it's rather pretty and the all-season availabilty is great.

Then again, reaching the town below would be a pain coming from this direction.

Still, for me, being able to pitch a tent up here would be neat, and I'm afraid of heights.

And then Bush stays up until 1 AM doing a ridiculous amount of fishing, jamming, and cleaning up the farm field.

I'll have to cut today's update a bit shorter than usual, but that's because a lot goes on tomorrow- it's our first festival!

To tide you over, I have another important vote for the thread!

VOTING TIME: What shall our kitchen and forge extensions look like?

--KITCHEN--

1. Bulging Style

Consists of a nice round room with a little bump on the top of the roof. The inside's very homey, and everything is within easy reach.

2. Ba-Bump Style

A more square outside with a double ridged roof. The inside has a fancy little staircase upwards to where the kitchen is.

3. Pointy Style

A more traditional Eastern looking kind of extension, it even has little lamps hanging from the sides! At least, I think they're lamps.

The inside has a staircase downwards instead, an is perhaps the roomiest design of them all.

--FORGE--

1. Cozy Style

A small and simple extension, it adds just a little reinforcement to the outside of the house. The inside, sudden encroachment of the Wii menu aside, is very simple but homely.

2. Cool Style

Sticking to extending the house with stonework, this style even has a visible litle chimney on top. It seems like it's made in sections, something that extends to the inside. The full metal walls are pretty neat though.

3. Creepy Style

Partially industrial looking, this extension is shaped almost like a giant head of some kind. It's really darn roomy inside though!

So there's your options- get to voting! As for the last vote, it looks like we'll be focusing on Magic and using some Axes on on the side for the time being. We can always mix it up a bit later.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 19, 2023

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
I'm voting for Ba-Bump for the Kitchen and Creepy for the Forge.

Finally time for a festival, this game's been awfully slow at getting around to it. Come to think, have there been any Rune Factory/Harvest Moon-style games that haven't featured festivals of some sort? It seems to be an unspoken rule to include them, not that they're bad at all. Festivals are a big part of the personality.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Bulging style and cozy style. They look like they're actually part of the house, the other two are a bit too obviously stapled on.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Pointy and Cozy style

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Pointy and Creepy. Bigger is better when it comes to video game houses. Especially if you can drop decorations around (which I have no idea whether or not that's possible in this game).

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Pointy and Creepy. House, pointy, forge... round.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

BraveLittleToaster posted:

Finally time for a festival, this game's been awfully slow at getting around to it. Come to think, have there been any Rune Factory/Harvest Moon-style games that haven't featured festivals of some sort? It seems to be an unspoken rule to include them, not that they're bad at all. Festivals are a big part of the personality.

I mean, what else hasn't this game been awfully slow about getting around to? :v:

I don't know of any HM or RF game that doesn't have festivals, but there might be one out there somewhere. Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon even has them, for as kind of odd a spin off it is.

Looking it up, I guess maybe just the third one on the GBC? It seems to have a lot of other events though. I'm mostly more versed in the spinoffs anyhow.

Raitzeno posted:

Bigger is better when it comes to video game houses. Especially if you can drop decorations around (which I have no idea whether or not that's possible in this game).

I don't know if we''re allowed to move furniture once we buy it. I'm guessing it just places itself like the games before it, but I don't actually know. I never got far enough in my original playthrough to worry about buying other furniture.

I know RF4 let you move and throw just about anything around.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Alright, current results so far are:

KITCHEN
Bulging - 1
Ba-Bump - 1
Point - 4

FORGE
Cozy - 2
Cool - 0
Creepy - 4

Seems like a pretty strong lead for Pointy and Creepy, but I'll leave the vote open for another couple of hours before I call it.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 19: Money and Lumber

Music: Visions

"...Ah, you're awake. Good morning."

"I am... Hm... I am your maker... I guess I'm something like a father to you."

"First of all, congratulations. No... Thank you for being born."

"To artificially create magical creatures using the Spirit energy of Runes,"

"...to make what are referred to as monsters in this world,"

"...you are the first step."

"What am I saying... There's no need for me to tell you such things."

"Why don't I start off by presenting you with a name? It will be..."

Bush really ought to stop working so late into the night, I'd think. Too much dream monologuing.

Music: Business District Buildings
(Another in the list of songs I don't usually link.)

Daily chores start as usual, here on the 29th of Spring, despite waking up 2 hours late. Today's pretty unimportant, just a moneymaking day, but tomorrow should be our first festival!

Also, our cave cucumbers have finally grown! These are worth 3 times as much as a strawberry, but also take that much longer to grow.

With two regions in prosperity though, we'll see by how much that changes.

MIST: Please grow turnips.

she's figured us out :tinfoil:

But for real, Mist's been really slow about giving us any new dialogue at all.

Nothing here but Runey management on the beach.

Up in the clock tower, we find something rather new- Melody's here with Cinnamon!

CINNAMON: I'm teaching Melody some magic right now.

BUSH: Melody, you got Cinnamon to teach you?

MELODY: That's right! ♪

MELODY: I'm so glad I convinced her! ♪ It doesn't matter if she can use magic or not.

MELODY: I live for moments like this!

MELODY: Now I'm really getting into it! Let's do this, Master! ♪

CINNAMON: ... ...Master?

MELODY: Yeah. I'm your student. And you're my master!

CINNAMON: ... ...Oh.

MELODY: Looks like Master loves that! ♪

BUSH: Are you sure...?

MELODY: Of course! Right, Master?

CINNAMON: ...Sure.

...Interpret this however you want- I'm just gonna leave it at that.

On the other hand, this is some more progression into Melody and Cinnamon's respective events. We'll also be able to see some new conversations here from time to time.

MELODY: Don't talk to me! You just made me forget the magic spell I was about to memorize...

:eng99:

MELODY: Did you find out why the hot spring stopped?

MELODY: I was suspecting Whale Island...

CINNAMON: ...Master.

CINNAMON: ...

BUSH: (I guess... she likes it?)

Runeys to manage, nothing to see here.

STELLA: You can ask me any time if you need anything.

STELLA: It's my job to maintain a peaceful life for everyone.

~Make Her Fall in Love!!~

"To make a girl's heart yours, presents are the best way! Accessories are especially effective!"

"After recieving it, the girl will put on the gift you gave her, and then come to see you to show you."

"If you think,'That does not look good on her,' then give her a new present!"

"However, remember that every girl has a different taste in things so don't give her something she absolutely hates! Get to know her to win her!"

It takes me scouring the whole library, but I eventually find some books to read in the upper left corner.

You can give people accessories to dress up in, but it does seem there's limitations on what they'll actually wear from what I've seen. For instance, you can't get Lara to remove her nun's veil, or Melody her hat, as far as I've tested. I could be wrong though.

For instance, Uzuki will still cover up her small hat if given our Hand-Knit Hat, though the long feathers still poke through.

I don't know the full effect this has on LP, it does seem to increase it, but the only person who I know explicity likes accessories is Rita. Regardless, I might be able to organize a vote later to dress up the characters.

also, (insert commentary here on conversations being valued less in this game than gifts)

~To Ocean Swimmers~

"Changing Room Reminder:
- Before entering the ocean, please remember to stretch.
- The beach is not your trash can! Let us keep it clean for others."

This will be relevant during Summer.

~Expanding Your Home~

"1. Save up money and lumber.
2. Go to a carpenter.
3. There has to be a carpenter in town, or else who built your house?
4. You can even expand your house by adding entire rooms."

"5. Customize your interior.
6. Interiors can be purchased from a traveling peddler in town.
7. You want a full-sized bed.
8. Remember, money and lumber!"

This will be relevant next update! Or maybe the one after. Depends on how I want to do it.

Money and lumber, friend.

Also this put Selphy up to 4 LP already. That was fast.

SELPHY: I got buried under the books when they fell the other day and Lara had to save me.

BUSH: Didn't the books fall before?

SELPHY: Haha, you got me there! Lara told me it's dangerous so I have to clean up the library.

1. I think you should, too.
2. I think it's fine the way it is.

As much as I'd like the cleaner library back, it's her organization scheme (and her library, I guess?) What right does Bush have to tell her what to do?

If we did agree with Lara on this, we'd get this:

Clean that library! posted:

SELPHY: Ugh... You're saying that, too?

So yeah.

BUSH: I think it's fine the way it is. You have it set up so you know where everything is, right?

SELPHY: I do! You do understand!

I found out after the fact that I possibly have to agree with Lara on this to progress Selpy's storyline, so I guess the option will come up again.

If that is the case, it's not the only time something like this will happen. The other time I know of is, er... questionable.

EUNICE: Bush! Let me tell you something nice.

EUNICE: The oily stains on pots can be washed off with vinegar. Did you know?

More HomeEc tips from Eunice! I did not know this.

When we enter Rosetta's shop today, something new happens. Danny's here!

Music: Pinch

Doesn't seem like it's a friendly meeting though.

ROSETTA: Huh? What is that? Are you for real? You sure you're all right in the head?

DANNY: That's my line! You stole my customers with dirty tricks! You think I don't know?!

DANNY: Fight like a man!

ROSETTA: Why do you always end up like this?

ROSETTA: Customers come to my store because it's better.

ROSETTA: It's all because I work hard running it!

DANNY: No way! I know you must be cheating!

DANNY: You're probably blackmailing the customers! I know it!

ROSETTA: How rude! I never even thought of that before!

DANNY: Shut your trap! I'll fight you fair and square until I expose your conspiracy, you dirty cheater!

ROSETTA: Get out of here! This is harassment!

*Slam*

(Presumably this is the door closing, but it's the same sound used for blunt attacks.)

(At first, it really makes this look like Rosetta's just floored Danny in a single punch. I wouldn't put it past her.

Also that thing on Bush's shoulder is the Wappen we've been wearing for a rather long time. It's really hard to see normally.)

Music: Business District Buildings

ROSETTA: Those kinds of people always come out when business is good.

ROSETTA: Oh, Bush. You were here? I'm sorry for making you see that...

Well, that was something. Not all is chill in Trampoli.

ROSETTA: *sigh*

ROSETTA: You know Danny at the general store next door?

ROSETTA: He's saying that I'm selling at a loss so I can run him out of business.

ROSETTA: He's insane. I'm working hard to get my sales up and he's accusing me of that?!

ROSETTA: Say, Bush, could you go smack him with a shovel or something?

Unfortunately, this isn't Animal Crossing so Bush can't do that.

Actually, there aren't any shovels in this game.

ROSETTA: When I was small, I followed a kitten up a tree and neither of us could get down.

ROSETTA: I was a bit of a tomboy back in the day.

I feel it's worth noting that Rosetta's voice acting is quite good in general and this line is delivered with just a perfect amount of finger-wag sass.

ROSETTA: ...What's with that look on your face? You look like you want to say that I haven't changed much.

BUSH: N-no... Do I?

The voice line says "You look like you want to say I still am!" which is better if you ask me.

ROSETTA: I heard! You beat that huge monster in the Green Ruins?

ROSETTA: Not bad... If I ever get attacked by monsters, you have to come save me.

TURNER: *gulp*

TURNER: Sorry if it seemed like I was being shameless in expressing my fondness for this.

Dude, I gave you a yellow grass, chill

Then I spend a long time jammin'.

With the half my Toyherbs thrown in, that's 9000g today already, and we've got 18,000g already in our wallet and 50 strawberries still left to jam.

~"I'm sorry to bother you again..." - Melody~

Thanks for the Red Grass. ♪
I'm sorry to ask you this,
but this time, could I have some White Grass?
Please? ♪

As referenced last update, this item won't be very easy to get a hold of. We can buy it and find it in Winter, but our only source of it until then is a 1% slime drop. I'll see what I can do about getting it, but no guarantees.

Way up at the Tower of Rest after a bath and a few hours later, the tomatoes I planted have finished growing!

Also that "strong moonlight" just turns on like a spot lamp at 6 PM.

Tomatoes are worth the same as turnips and regrow at pretty much the same interval. You better bet I'm going to have loads of these growing over the Summer.

Alas, Iris hasn't got much to say just yet. We'll be able to start mass producing her favorite gift pretty soon, so she should catch up to the other girls rather fast.

Before I left, I tried to till this land up here at the story progression gate, but the other silver wolves made a mess of it.

[Cinnamon]

Password?

As a random note, Cinnamon's door in the Clock Tower would seem to suggest she gives us a password later. Once we've got enough FP/LP with bachelorettes and/or their parents, we'll get the ability to visit at any hour.

Pickles Lv:2 was synthesized with expertise!

Pickles happen to be worth 70g more than their normal cucumber selves. Thank goodness that vinegar doesn't cost anything in this world, I guess.

Also, I feel this is a good time to point out that Bush is a level 54 cook. He's almost 2/3rds of the way to maxing it out.

Making endless jam will do that for you, I guess.

You can also warm up milk into Hot Milk to increase it's value from 90g to 140g.

Amazing.

I then also finally realize I can make Ice Cream. All it needs is milk and an egg.

With it made, I bring it up to the big red fella blocking the hot springs on Whale Island.

GIANT: "Ice cream!"

GIANT: "You kept your promise! You're a nice guy."

GIANT: "Now for my end of the bargain."

GIANT: "There wasn't much water left in this spring so I added some more."

GIANT: "See ya."

I sure hope this means this giant knows water magic or something. I don't want to think about the other possibilities.

And just like that, he's gone. I don't know if we ever meet him again.

I clean up the farm a bit more, make some more money, and then hit the bed. Time for Spring 29th, our first festival!

ANETTE: Bush! Good morning!

Anette's still delivering mail today, I see.

Left in the dust again :negative:

ANETTE: I just got a flower from Eunice. I never got one before, but it's really nice.

Where Eunice met her to give this flower aside, here's today's first mention of our first festival!

Now to go back and check our mail.

~"Taking a Breather" - Selphy~

I don't really have much to say.
I just wanted to cool my head from
writing my book by writing a letter.
So I just wrote a letter to you with nothing to say.
Sorry.

That's a mood right there.

Still, I would've expected to recieve some mail about the festival. They usually do that in the RF series.

KANNO: I recieved a flower from Eunice from that inn!

KANNO: I suppose I am much too charming despite my age.

Nobody seems to have informed gramps here that she's giving one to everyone.

Melody and Cinnamon aren't around, which is to be expected with the festival and all.

Well, let's go see what all the commotion is about.

Hm. Why is everyone doing their normal things? This is a festival day isn't it? The Foliage Festival, I believe?

On that note, where's the music?

UZUKI: I recieved a flower from Eunice. It certainly is very pretty...

TSUBUTE: Bush, are you adept with the sword?

BUSH: Somewhat.

Ah, here it is, this'll probably be the mini-date invite.

TSUBUTE: Of course. You are nothing but an amateur.

TSUBUTE: Milady has learned the art of the naginata that has passed down for ages. Compared to that, your skill is crude.

No, we're just getting dunked on I guess :negative:

BUSH: I guess so.

TSUBUTE: You are quite honest. Good boy.

Well, let's see what's up with Eunice.

EUNICE: I'd like to give you this, Bush.

You got Moondrop!

BUSH: Thank you, but why?

EUNICE: Flowers are very beautiful during this season so I'm giving them out. I just hope it will make people smile.

BUSH: That's great. I'm sure everyone will love it, myself included.

EUNICE: Really? I certainly hope so!

:3:

Time to drop the act, this is all today is, really. Eunice has decided to hand out a bunch of flowers to folks around town.

This does end up inspiring it's own festival, just in Year 2. It's like Japanese Valentine's Day, but with flowers instead of chocolate. Our REAL next festival is the 1st of Summer.

Technically, there's an earlier festival in Spring, on the 19th, but it is also Year 2. Mechanically, I don't think this is a great decision, as an earlier, easier to participate in festival is a good way for the player to earn early FP/LP and get more interesting dialogue out of the characters.

We do hand her one right back, of course :v:

ROSETTA: Is there some kind of festival today? Eunice was passing out flowers.

As this flower dialogue overwrites pretty much every other dialogue today, so that's mostly all we'll be seeing.

Doesn't seem like Danny got one, but not a big surprise after yesterday.

GANESHA: I just got a flower from Eunice. Is something happening?

GANESHA: But it feels kind of nice. I don't know why but it makes me smile.

TURNER: Oh, wow. That's for me?

TURNER: Now I can get Ganesha to make me the best kind of kitchen knife.

Turner doesn't immediately eat metal if you give that to him, which is completely reasonable. For whatever reason, the first line plays the voice line for his "what is this" meh gift dialogue.

TURNER: I got a flower from Eunice. People will say that I spoiled her, but she grew up to be such a nice daughter.

yeah, spoiled, sure

RITA: I got a flower from Eunice. It's really pretty.

RITA: Turner hasn't given me any gifts for a long time!

are you two even married

CINNAMON: I got a flower from Eunice. ...Some kind of charm?

SELPHY: Hey, I got a flower from Eunice. Maybe I should press it and use it as a bookmark.

SELPHY: That's a great idea!

Well, I guess it's decided then.

I do stop to read a book, but it ends up being huge, so I opted to put it at the end of the update.

STELLA: I just recieved a flower from Eunice. She thanked me for everything.

STELLA: I'm touched at how she never forgets to feel thankful for others!

STELLA: The flowers are pretty during this season, so maybe I should hand out some flowers to the villagers, too.

STELLA: ...Don't make that face.

BUSH: I-I wasn't!

You got Toy Herb!

but i gave you one of these yesterday

is this the same one

Just gonna re-gift this, you saw nothing :ninja:

STELLA: A festival where you give flowers to people you feel thankful for... I like it. Let's make this a tradition.

And here's your hint that next year will be different. Flowers make a lot more sense in a farming game than cookies and chocolate, none of which contain materials you can at least produce yourself.

There's also just how in RF1 you can't even participate in the cookie festival on the first year, or really most of the festivals.

LARA: I recieved a flower from Eunice. I wonder if I should give something back...

Kross didn't get one, but then again, the jury's still out on whether or not the other villagers know he exists.

KROSS: Aren't you afraid of monsters?

KROSS: I'm not scared. I'm actually fond of the monsters. They never lie to humans.

KROSS: Heh... I would like to live a free life like a monster.

KROSS: What do monsters have that humans don't...? ...Tails.

KROSS: If only I had the "Cat Tail," would I become like a monster?

:smith:

Of note is that the Cat Tail is a level 90 accessory. It will be a long time before we ever get the ability to help him out with this.

ERIK: I got a flower from Eunice.

ERIK: It's not my fault I'm so popular. Hahaha!

Given this is Erik, I'm sure his head is running a hundred miles per hour trying to figure out what the flower means.

LUTE: I got a flower from Eunice. Maybe I should give something in return...

Apparently, Candy and Marco are up on the balcony of the clock tower on Thursdays before 12 PM.

Oh, right, I never mentioned that the clocktower has a balcony. Well, it does, here you go.

CANDY: I got a flower from Eunice. I better give her something in return later.

MARCO: I just got a flower from Eunice. I don't know if I should have accepted since there's someone I like...

I think you'll be fine, kid.

There happens to be a ladder up to the top out here as well.

It lets us see the main area of Trampoli as a curved parallax texture in the distance.

I think the only purpose of this place is for Cinnamon's final event.

With that done, I dive into the Lava Ruins to burn the rest of this day away.

The rocks on the second floor reward 2 silver, which is pretty sweet.

While I'm doing that, Pony takes down an Ignis on her own. These fire spirits look a bit more fancy than their handheld counterparts, but their modus operandi is the same: "spam a magic spell at you." They have only two related monsters, the Glace and the Soul.

Glace, (or sometimes called Blizzards,) were particularly infamous to me in the power of their Water Laser. Ignis aren't nearly as bad, and all three of these monster types can drop Magic Powder and the ever coveted Magic Crystals. They also have a chance to drop elemental gems, so these are prime item grinding monsters for magic users like ourselves.

Alas, in the process of trying to take down a golem, Pony eats cannonfire at long range from the other golem and is comboed to a knockout.

Sorry about that, Pony :(

I do however score some Silver and an Earth Crystal off the golems, so the item gains are looking real good.

The Tomahawk has a chance to crit on the special attack and if it does, it guaranteed one-shots even these guys.

Bush's health gets rather low after a while, putting me in knockout range from just one hit, but I'm able to snag another level up.

If you do go down in a dungeon in this game, it does just boot you to the Infirmary the next day as usual, instead of actually killing you and forcing you to load a save, as per RF1 and RF2. Given the likely cold debuff and/or loss of possible progress, you might as well load a save whenever you go down anyways.

I snag one more silver, and then bail.

MIST: I recieved a flower from Eunice. That makes me... happy.

she's found another target :tinfoil:

I do take the time to convert 7 of those tomatoes from yesterday to seeds. Will I end up planting all of these? Maybe, maybe not, as I've got to keep room for corn as well.

On my way to take care of the dungeon strawberries, I spot something peculiar.

GIRL: Oh...? Are you from around here?

BUSH: Yes.

GIRL: Oh, really? I thought that no one lived in this area...

I mean, Mist's house is behind you. She's not here, but this place is far from empty.

GIRL: I was thinking of building a church here.

BUSH: Oh?

GIRL: I feel a special charm about this place.

GIRL: Building a church and village here is a dream of mine.

While another church is a possibility, I think there might already be a village here- unless Bush has been tripping for the last season, at least.

Well, anyways, it's flower day, so here ya go.

GIRL: Thank you, but I really cannot accept this.

Huh, maybe this is one of those things like with Selphy where it won't let us gift someone until we know their name.

GIRL: Nice to meet you.

Um. Sure. I guess we'll get your name next time.

She's gone after I enter the Green Ruins, so I guess no more of her today.

Eh, anyways, the shipping box now has 16,000g worth of stuff sitting in it. 89 strawberries and 20 cherries will do that, I guess.

We're looking at 43,929g going into tomorrow, so we're in the clear for what I want to buy, now it's just a matter of getting even more to be set on everything I'd like to get my hands on.

I'm late in getting to the bathhouse today, and it seems it's undergone a bit of a remodel!

MELODY: Hey, Bush! You did this, didn't you?

MELODY: That sure surprised me. I didn't expect the roof to be blown off to make it an outdoor bath!

BUSH: The roof was blown off?!

MELODY: Yeah. But it's fine. I opened it up as an outdoor bathhouse now.

MELODY: It shall now be called... "Neo Laga Springs"!

Only Melody would be completely fine with this. :allears:

MELODY: Today's bath is on the house, so come on in! ♪

MELODY: I'm burning some of the incense Rosetta gave me as a gift for the grand opening. It smells really nice, so enjoy!

I'm still going to pay anyways, just in case the freebie here doesn't increase LP. Also it's only 10g, and I have no idea how this girl makes enough money to live.

Oh, and her flower dialogue for the day:

MELODY: I got a flower from Eunice. Don't you think it'll be pretty if I float these in the bath?

It's gotten a lot bigger on the inside at least. I'm still not clear on how any of this works with the island above, but I'm not questioning it!

To close off the day, I head to the Tower of Rest.

IRIS: I feel at peace when I look at flowers. Speaking of which, I see that you grow them from time to time, Bush.

This is all she has to say today, though it is worth noting that she is above 1 FP now, so the main story could theoretically progress. We'll uh, see how long it takes until it does.

I till that land outside of the story locked gate...

...and call it a day. A bit longer of an update today, but there was a lot to show off.

Tomorrow we buy our house extensions, and the day after that a lot of stuff goes down on the 1st of Summer. Because of that, the next update is probably only going to cover our last day of Spring.

Buys me some time to finally get a bit of an update reserve started again, and keeps Summer starting cleanly on Update 21.

To close it off, here's that book I read earlier today. It's a big one, and it would have been nice to remember it existed for the last vote:

~Home Improvement Catalog~

"Roomy life begins with a roomy house! Our shop has multiple plans for your home improvement needs. All designs have the same functionality so choose the one that fits you best!"

"*Forge Area
Forge in your own house!

- Cozy Forge Area
Kind, earthen walls.

- Cool Forge Area
Stylish, metallic appearance.

- Creepy Forge Area
For that genuine creepy feel."

"*Kitchen
Cooking with comfort!

-Bulging Kitchen
A slightly bulged roof.

-Ba-bump Kitchen
Two cute bumps on the roof.

-Pointy Kitchen
Pointy roof like a witch's hat."

"*Laboratory Area
Mix and match, then create!

-Apothecary Lab Area
Perfect for making medicine.

-Alchemy Lab Area
A fun research space.

-Magic Lab Area
For those after the Truth!"

"*For a more luxurious life...
-Second Floor Bedroom
A private space for you and that special someone.
Big enough for a Full-sized bed."

"-Barn
Looking for a place to house your monster companions?
Holds up to 10 per room!"

See you next time, where we wave farewell to the Spring theme!

As for the voting results, seems like we'll be going for Pointy and Creepy!

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 19, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 20: The Update Where People Insist It's Summer But It's Not

Once again we return to the idyllic life of Bush, some guy who has amnesia problems, gullibility problems, and a whole lot of money in his pocket.

This is Spring 30th, so that means this is the last time we'll ever hear this theme. Probably.

There is new content in year 2 as this game's about taking it slow, but I don't know how much of it I'll get around to showing off. Regardless, it's the only music I'm linking today to give this wonderful little piano theme it's sendoff.

Our idyllic life continues pretty much as usu-

why is there mail in the mailbox already

Uh, Anette?

BUSH: W-what's wrong?

ANETTE: What do you think?

ANETTE: I was chased around by a monster outside the village...

ANETTE: I just came back from running away from it! I thought I was gonna die!

If you tell Bush where it's at, I'm sure we can delete it from this world with our pacifist magic axe.

BUSH: Are you okay? Would you like some water?

ANETTE: I'll be fine. I just need to rest up a little.

BUSH: It must be hard...

I'm almost disappointed they didn't go with the watering can joke again, but I think Anette's been through enough.

ANETTE: I'll be fine... So... please... let... me rest...

If you say so!

Worth noting that this means she delivered our mail before half collapsing over here- that's dedication to the job.

~"New Soap ♪" - Melody~

We have new soap at the bathhouse ♪
Enjoy its new, refreshing fragrance!

Alas, there's no mechanic around the soap as far as I know. Would've been nice to have something like RF3's cologne mechanic.

~"Beach Going Season" - Rosetta~

The beach will finally be open tomorrow!
There's an event planned for tomorrow as well, so be sure to come by!
Oh, and don't forget those bathing suits!

That's right, our first festival is the beach episode.

It's not that kind of beach episode mind you. If you thought that it would be, given the bathhouse and the whole inspecting beds thing, I don't blame you.

~"All prepared for summer?" - Erik~

Did you know that it'll be summer starting tomorrow?!
In the summer, all spring crops will wither, so be sure
to come by our shop and purchase summer seeds.

Evidently Erik isn't aware of the clock that floats in the sky above our heads at all times, informing us of the date.

Also this letter didn't open with "hey, young man" and I am greatly disappointed.

Despite having read the mail, it will not leave our mailbox as the letter about the festival tomorrow is considered too important.

We collect our strawberries for the day, and...

then we delete them from the universe. Goodbye strawberries, you served us well. With sickle in hand, Bush shall spare you from withering.

If we don't cut them down now, they'll just turn into withered grass tomorrow, which is like weeds but brown and bad.

In other topics, Bush's weed collection has reached about 140 at this point. We've got a lot of weeds.

ANETTE: Tomorrow is the first day of the beach season.

ANETTE: This is the season where I really shine! ...Just kidding.

At 9:00 AM, Ann's back to her usual self.

MIST: Why do mushrooms look so funny?

MIST: They look absurd.

Mist, as per her normal self, is high on turnips.

at least she's not scheming anything

MIST: Oh, look. Tomorrow will be the first day of the beach season. Time sure flies.

Most people today will be talking about the festival tomorrow, and I'll be lucky if I can wrestle any more than that out of them.

proceed to watering our light deprived fruits

runey management

Off to go bother people in town!

KANNO: Your test for today is...

BUSH: When did it turn into a test...?

KANNO: Stop complaining! Bring me an Emerald! An Emerald, you hear?!

BUSH: Okay...

Dire days, Bush has been struck with a pop quiz!

Lucky for us and him, there's no time limit on this. Emeralds, like most gems, are rare drops from minable rocks that can only be obtained with a good hammer.

Our hammer does not count as a "good hammer" in this case.

It's possible I can go make more Norad Fried Chickogriff and get one, but meh some other time.

MELODY: No swimsuits in the bath!

BUSH: W-what's the matter, Melody?

MELODY: The other day, Mist wanted to go straight to the bath after coming from the opening day of beach season. That's why I...

BUSH: That's very like Mist to do that.

MELODY: Bush! You're always taking Mist's side!

Both statements here are true.

Melody hates sand, it's coarse and rough and gets everywhere in the bath.

CINNAMON: I went to go buy swimsuits with Candy.

CINNAMON: ...I won't show you yet.

We're gonna see it tomorrow anyways.

STELLA: When I first came here, only one boy lived here.

STELLA: This village sure has grown since then.

I would guess that "one boy" is Kross, but we don't really know how old he is or when Stella came here.

BUSH: Tomorrow is the opening day of the beach season.

STELLA: Yes, and? Don't tell me you want to see me in a bathing suit.

BUSH: Huh?!

STELLA: I was quite the looker when I was young. Maybe I should take this opportunity to show off... Hahaha. I'm joking.

Bush isn't good at starting conversations, so he just defaulted to what everyone's been talking about today.

LARA: Tomorrow is the first day of the beach season, but I just don't like swimsuits that are too flashy...

Not much of a surprise.

DANNY: Hm? Oh, so tomorrow is the first day of the beach season.

DANNY: But it has nothing to do with me.

Given the massive pec window, I would've thought otherwise, but I guess Danny's committed to being aggressively uninteresting.

DANNY: I'm actually good at sewing.

DANNY: I made these clothes myself. Surprised? So if you have any extra Good Cloth laying around, share some with me. You can spare some right, Bush?

Given the massive pec window, I am not surprised. Still, "Good Cloth" is Danny's liked gift but you're better off giving him his favorite gift of silver in the long run. It's a lot easier to get a hold of.

ROSETTA: Tomorrow is the opening day of beach season. I was right to stock up on swimsuits for this day.

ROSETTA: Of course, I've already got my own.

I have to question how much profit comes from directly stocking swimsuits when there's like 10 people in town that'll ever wear one. Seems like you'd end up with a lot of unbought stock.

Then again, Rosetta's the one here making a commercial empire, not me.

EUNICE: *sigh*

BUSH: What's wrong?

EUNICE: This season has come again...

BUSH: This season...? Oh, right. It's almost summer.

EUNICE: Yes. all the girls in the village are talking about swimsuits...

EUNICE: I made Uzuki's swimsuit this year, but I just can't bring myself to make my own.

EUNICE: We shouldn't talk about depressing things like this! Let's just get to work!

I think you might be able to see where this is going. :smith:

RITA: It's already summer now.

We've still got a few hours, don't sign off Spring yet!

RITA: Summer has it's very own specialty drink. Why don't you come try it?

BUSH: N-no... I...

RITA: Hahaha. I'm kidding.

Listen, Bush may be magicking wine into existence by way of bullying what is probably an endangered species, but he doesn't drink. :argh:

TURNER: The beach season starts tomorrow. I used to go swim with Rita a lot when we were young.

GANESHA: Summer is finally here. The forge gets really hot during summer so I hate it.

GANESHA: Whoops. I guess it has nothing to do with you.

I would note that Bush has to run through a literal volcanic cavern with siege weaponry attacking him, but he doesn't really have much of stated reason to be doing it. It's just spur of the moment self endangerment.

They are required to progress the main story but we really haven't been given an explicit reason to smashing up the places. Hell, even the large monsters aren't threatening anyone or anything. We mostly just go inside to upgrade our gear easier.

We stop by Kross to blow 360 lumber and 20,000 gold on our new house expansions.

KROSS: Summer... The sun during the summer is cruel. The rays incinerate everything and remind me of the flames.

Evidently, Kross has seen things :stare:

Hey, slightly less young man, sell me some corn.

(also some carrot seeds for something later)

SELPHY: Oh, tomorrow is the opening of the beach season?

Yeah, she doesn't care. Nothing to do with books, and she only goes outside like once a week.

MIST: Please water the seeds after you sow them. Crops won't grow unless they have water. Make sure you remember this.

mist

mist, it's been a month

i know how farming works

For all I know, the game could be complaining about that fodder I never bother to water because I've got enough feed and I don't really have the time or RP to worry about them.

Also I liquidate some final stuff to come into tomorrow with a nice bit of pocket change. Our boy Lute's gonna be around and I want to nab the good tools while I can.

Also here's what our house looks like now. Hopefully the villagers appreciate Bush's taste in architecture.

KROSS: You seem to have gotten much stronger. Be careful to not get injured severely.

Also as it turns out, Kross doesn't like random vegetables all that much as I thought he did. His liked gift is Proof Of Warrior, the little masks that goblins and orcs drop.

What I'm saying is that it's not really an accomplishment to have these, but thanks, Kross.

CANDY: Tomorrow is the opening day of the beach season. I can't wait to wear my new swimsuit.

Before anyone gets worried, all the swimsuits in this game are rather tame.

MARCO: It's finally summer!

MARCO: I'm training now so I can fight the monsters of the ocean!

Marco here is ready to go all out on Nessie :black101:

Took me all day to find you, but I did eventually!

Looks like I was right about Cinnamon teaching Uzuki fishing, but I don't think that was a very long stretch to begin with.

Cinnamon will end up teaching even more people, believe it or not.

UZUKI: How do you fare, Bush?

UZUKI: I have never swam in the sea. I am eagerly awaiting to go as Eunice is making a swimsuit for myself.

I think it takes a while to get made, otherwise I'm just bad at finding her. Something you'll get to see when Summer starts for real is that it makes all the bachelorettes even harder to find on a daily basis.

You really want to play this game with a character schedule on hand- you can waste in-game hours just trying to find people. The townsfolk are very dynamic in this game compared to previous entries, and you still don't have a minimap of any kind.

Before I head back to the farm, I invest in a good number of grasses from Lara's store. I won't get around to these anytime soon, but I do plan on trying to level up Bush's pharmaceutical skills at least somewhat.

It is worth noting that neutralizers sell for the value of their component parts, so as long as you've got the RP to maintain it, you can just make them on loop for skill points.

Planting my summer crop begins late in the day, but still before I've had a bath. I'd ideally wanted some nice and clean field that only used the front half, but much like real life, things didn't work out so perfectly. At this point I just hastily make way for more tilled land so I can get all of my seeds in the ground.

You can plant the next season's crops on the 30th of the previous season to get a head start on them growing. Even if it is by 1 day, that 1 day can matter a lot in terms of when you get your payout.

Oh, hey, I'd entirely forgotten you didn't have to wait near Rosetta while she checked the shipping box. Neat, I didn't even mean to trigger this today.

That's an extra +1 LP for the Rosetta fans out there.

It's 8:00 PM by the time I make it to the bathhouse today, but rest assured, I will never miss going here!

Apparently, if you buy a bath ticket, come back after 9:00 PM when Melody's not working, and you have enough FP/LP for her to respond to you knocking on her door, there's some sort of special event.

It's probably more :japan: for all I know, but I guess if the opportunity ever arises we'll find out.

speaking of :japan:

The long and short of it is that Ganesha's messing with Marco by suggesting he come into women's bath with her, and since he's not five, he's having none of it. And then it gets weirder than it already was when she brings Candy up.

Also, even though she's not part of this event, Lara is just in there as well with this whole awkward thing going on.

why

Moving away from that, I buy two bars of chocolate, some rice, and an apple from the bar. Chocolate happens to be Lute's favorite gift, rated at +9 FP, which is nice since he's around so rarely.

:getin:

More tomatoes are already ready up on Whale Island as well! With our two prosperity regions, they seem to be regrowing in just 2 days which is even better.

Provided Grant and Gobbs can help out enough, we're going to be absolutely rolling in gold once our summer farm gets started up for real.

Not even counting these or the corn, I've got 8 3x3s of them in the ground, so that's 15,120g every 2 days once they're grown. I estimate we'll get somewhere around 150,000g out of them by the end of Summer.

IRIS: I finished doing that drawing the other day! Please take a look!

BUSH: Really?! Let me see...

IRIS: How is it?

BUSH: It's a very cute Chitter.

IRIS: That's... an apple...

BUSH: What?! I-I'm sorry.

These make up the bulk of Iris's more interesting dialogue. Even better is that we'll soon be able to catch her up to the place of the other girls as her favorite gift isn't far off.

IRIS: There are fields inside Whale Island, too. I wonder who tills them since there are so many monsters here.

In order to break the deafening awkward silence, Iris talks about farming. I would say she doesn't notice we're doing it right outside her door, but she does specify inside Whale Island.

Bush don't do any farming on the inside, so I've got no idea :tinfoil:

Bush was up so late watering all the seeds that the clock at the top of screen even changes to reflect that it's properly Summer now. This is the last time we'll have to spend so long watering crops though, I'll tell you that.

And now that we've officially entered Summer, I've gotta close this update out. There's gonna be a lot of content in the next few days, including our final bachelorettes, so I hope that makes up for this being a half-length update.

As a farewell to the Spring theme, I would like to mention that it used to play whenever you visited Runefactoryfrontier.com, this game's webpage. If you can manage to make Flash work again, you can see it for yourself.

As we end our first season and slowly break out of the early game, what's your thoughts so far?

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 19, 2023

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
This is a definitely a pretty slow start to spring, but its about to be over with. Have all the basic gameplay elements been put on the table yet or is the game holding back some more stuff for later?

I can't help but feel that the tone of this game is a little darker and stranger, compared to other Rune Factories I've seen LPed. There's nothing explicit, but there's implications all over the place. Mist's constant sinisterness doesn't help either. I'm curious about what Kross's deal is too, and I hope Eunice gets a bit of justice in the coming months, even if she's not my favorite.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

BraveLittleToaster posted:

This is a definitely a pretty slow start to spring, but its about to be over with. Have all the basic gameplay elements been put on the table yet or is the game holding back some more stuff for later?

I can't help but feel that the tone of this game is a little darker and stranger, compared to other Rune Factories I've seen LPed. There's nothing explicit, but there's implications all over the place. Mist's constant sinisterness doesn't help either. I'm curious about what Kross's deal is too, and I hope Eunice gets a bit of justice in the coming months, even if she's not my favorite.

Pretty much all the gameplay stuff is on the table at this point. Only new thing is perhaps the rocks breakable with silver tier or higher hammers, which we'll finally have next update.

The tone is a bit different for sure, which I think is just relative to how this game succeeds RF1. Not only was it kind of visually dim, but the story was a bit dark when it finally showed.

Rune Factory 2 and Tides don't have anything particularly worrying in them for a long time, and in spite of the relatively minor Fantasy Racism, RF3 is very upbeat. Meanwhile, in this game we're introduced to a town that's going to be crushed under the weight of a flying island if we don't figure out how to stop it.

Edit: I'm also still figuring out how to go about taking some scans of the artbook I have.

In the meantime, I did manage to find some scans for the RFF section, (spoiler for the last two bachelorettes if you haven't guessed them already) so here's the most seasonally appropriate one:

Apparently, there's a lot of comics and stuff released that I had no idea existed.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I think the mystery woman wanting to build a village may be a sort of echo from the past or something like that.