Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Hi, dad prognosis very bad, he’s heading into palliative care. Looking at maybe weeks. He’s loaded up on painkillers.

Problem: paperwork is ????

We know Mum’s next of kin, she’ll advocate for him in hospital, so that’s covered in regards to treatment, but everything else is a case of “don’t even know where to start.” The will, who’ll take his dog, all that stuff, there’s nothing properly organised.

Can anyone here tell me in very simple baby steps, for I am very stressed, (which is why I’m here and not googling everything, the results are overwhelming right now) an approximate list of the paperwork and other stuff we need to be trying to get in order here? And what to watch out for?

I’m in Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I'm not a lawyer.

The importance of getting poo poo together here is going to be relative to how much poo poo there is to actually do. What's the state of his estate? Is there indeed a will? If there is, have you talked to the lawyer/firm who generated it? If his estate is substantial, you probably should get a lawyer involved in understanding what to do next. Do you have a plan for funerals? Is there an executor of the estate clearly lined up?

All this needs to be framed by how much of an estate there is. As the size of the estate grows, so does the onus of getting a lawyer involved.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
No clue on will existing, he apparently has no liquid assets but he does have his house up for sale, that’s about it on knowledge.

To clarify: mum’s his ex, we got called down over for the end of life stuff cause we’re the only family and she’s still next of kin, so in regards to bills, the works, nada.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
This checklist by an Australian law firm matches up pretty well with the things we needed to take care of when our parents died here in the US. (Except bereavement allowance, we don’t have that :911:)

I am sorry you are dealing with this. It’s hard logistically as well as emotionally.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I'm sorry to hear about this, it's really sad and so difficult when someone we care about is terminally ill.

I don't know about specific services in Australia, but various charities may be able to advise depending on your area and your dad's diagnosis. Have a look at local hospice services and they should be able to signpost you to organisations who can support.

Don't forget to put things in place for yourself as well. Grief is really hard and it's important that you give yourself space.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

I'm so sorry to hear this.

Look up the Public Trustee in your state. If there's no will, they can act as executor and sort out the estate. They do charge a fee but not sure how much.

Qld example:

https://www.pt.qld.gov.au/executor-services/about-executor-services/

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Thanks all. He managed to rally (though still terminal) so looks like we might have a month or two extra chance to get things more organised, and having some starting points is a huge help because it’s just a nightmare of a situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

coolusername posted:

Thanks all. He managed to rally (though still terminal) so looks like we might have a month or two extra chance to get things more organised, and having some starting points is a huge help because it’s just a nightmare of a situation.

I'm glad that he rallied. Even a little extra time with a loved one is a blessing. I'm not sure which state you live in but there's good resources available via the respective probate courts. They often offer relatively easy-to-understand guides to navigating the processes involved. Here's NSW's "After someone dies" guide, for example, which has a variety of useful FAQs and links for the bereaved:

https://www.lawaccess.nsw.gov.au/Pages/representing/after_someone_dies/after_someone_dies.aspx
https://willshub.com.au/succession-law-resources/probate-courts/

All the best to you and your family