Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comforthawk
Apr 15, 2018

was wondering when we'd get a romance thread, good on ya

recently I kinda overdid it on the "it's the year 1896 and we're gay and in love but we gotta hide it lest we be arrested for buggery, also there's a cthulu monster and/or a ghost" m/m romances so I've been taking a break from, like, reading in general. I've found that it's that theme in particular that I don't like, the having to hide for fear of arrest, but it seems unfortunately quite popular. ah well. maybe I'll try one of those "he's a detective and he sees ghosts and they gotta work together and solve a murder" romances next, something a touch more modern

I'm surprised it took me this long to get back into romance tho, I used to read my aunt's harlequin paperbacks whenever I could when I was a wee closeted sprout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comforthawk
Apr 15, 2018

alright, caught the reading bug again, gonna check out jex lane's beautiful monsters series. I've been promised a vampire and an incubus, let's goooo, gotta keep the halloween spirit alive until AT LEAST valentine's day

next day edit--
my spine is crunchy from being contorted in my reading chair for so long, but I return to you with a trip report on Captive, Sire, and Broken from Jex Lane. there's supposed to be a forthcoming fourth, Blood Prince, but going off the author's twitter page, she's in a big depressive slump, so while I'm sending well-wishes, I don't presume to think the fourth book will be coming anytime soon, if ever

now, I'm fairly easy to please as far as romance consumers go--as long as the protagonist isn't insufferable and the overarching plot kind of makes sense, I'm happy. Matthew, the protag of this series, is a very special man who gets hosed over repeatedly by circumstances beyond his control and yet somehow manages to remain 1. willing to continue being alive, 2. a loving, highly motivated dad, and 3. charming if you like fumbling dummies who, over time, grow to be more competent and ambitious.

all in all I don't feel that my evening binge-reading was poorly spent. I wouldn't even call this strictly m/m romance--there are quite a few m/f scenes, and the women presented throughout the series all have their own agency and motivations, don't exist purely for the protag to bone down with, and don't tend to fall into the "here is an awful woman to terrorize the protag, because that's what women do" trope that I've seen in other less enjoyable m/m works. overall, it gets the comforthawk "it was nice, I liked it" stamp of approval.

comforthawk fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 3, 2021

comforthawk
Apr 15, 2018

I've been plowing through books again, and I return with a few gems!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17791691-dragon-slayer
a little sad that there appears to be just the one--the world itself seemed interesting. court/political intrigue and dragons, but the real star of the show here is how sweet the romance between the main characters is like, from the get-go? like, lord mallory's kind and sweet to ingram throughout, no weird ramp-up of being a dick to your arranged husband like it's some kinda hazing ritual. refreshing!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/58611361-the-necromancer-s-light
a very dnd-esque touch-starved necromancer and big soft meathead paladin romance. tickled my brain in ALL the right ways. second installment comes out in a few days apparently?? SA user comforthawk, excited for a book publication?? my jaded heart is warm and cozy.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/117583-princes-of-the-blood
a trio, different main character couples in each installment. people with the right percentage of demon blood in their lineage get to undergo a magical ritual that turns them into a prince, a pinnacle of monster-killing prowess. they need partners that remind them of their humanity and give them nummy nummy blood snacks. the third one spends most of its time as a prequel, but I actually liked this one the most because again, I am a sucker for worldbuilding and origins.

As to what I'm currently reading, I've consumed the first book in this series--little more modern, and set in boston so I get to read all the non-vampire dialogue with hellish boston accents. the end of the first book does feature clam chowder.
https://www.goodreads.com/series/173102-the-beacon-hill-sorcerer

comforthawk
Apr 15, 2018

kurona_bright posted:

Under the Whispering Door
story about a ghost learning to be a better person (it's also gay). I definitely liked it better than The House in the Cerulean Sea, which struck me as a little saccharine. The beginning's a little rough, but the emotional moments got me more than I was expecting them to. The romance is definitely not as central of a focus as you might expect though.

Archangel's Light
uhhhhhh it's the 14th book in the Guild Hunter series, and the first one that has two men as the couple (so I don't recommend starting with this one). It's a little light on the romance which only becomes apparent in the last 10% of the book (and they only kiss. lmao), but I kind of respected the focus on laying out their friendship, since there's an actual payoff to that in the final scenes.

T. Kingfisher's Saint of Steel series: Paladin's Grace, Paladin's Strength, Paladin's Hope
I actually started with Paladin's Hope (aka the gay one, the other ones feature heterosexual couples) and then went backwards, mostly because the author's previous attempt at a romance novel (she's written a fair amount of fantasy + fairy-tale retellings) had a Big Misunderstanding that really got on my nerves. I'm happy to say that these novels definitely do not suffer from this problem. If steampunk-ish worlds and romance heroes who are berserker paladins of a dead god sound interesting I recommend checking this out. And also check out the author's non-romance works, they're also good.

ooo these all look real good, under the whispering door sounds right up my morbid alley, bless

As for what I've been reading, I have a couple of things I enjoyed. Both are gay and feature smut prominently so there is ur content warning.

I've absolutely demolished Lee Colgin's Immortal Jewels series over the past couple of days and found it very sweet. I'm finding that I really appreciate when like, a series offers side characters that pique the hell out of my interest and lo and behold the next book in the series focuses on those side characters. Like the author's like 'yea I knew you'd want more of this guy, here u go'. Book one's got a vampire and a witch, book two's got a couple of vampires who could really benefit from couple's therapy, and book three's got a half-demon and a just a regular guy and it's a hell of a ride emotionally but there's a solid HEA.

And prior to Immortal Jewels I also devoured Ariana Nash's Primal Sin series, which is three installments of 'let's see how badly these angels and demons can gently caress up next'. The plot itself was very interesting from like, a longstanding overarching conspiracy standpoint. I would die for Solomon and his cats.

comforthawk
Apr 15, 2018

popping back to this thread to share that Lily Mayne's Monstrous series is really enjoyable if you are into m/m human/sort-of-humanoid-monster-from-another-plane type romances

each book in the series features a different couple with their own quirks and vibes, all set in the same general area of a post-apocalyptic united states, and there is a fairly interesting plot going on throughout each installment. for those who mentioned issues of consent, this series is actually really good about that--all of the couples are like, good to one another in that regard.

my favorite so far has been the 3rd book, the rycke, 'cause I like a hosed up bird-man-creature

comforthawk
Apr 15, 2018

run on sentience posted:

My favourite KJ Charles is The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal. It's kinda like a (more) gay Sherlock Holmes anthology with (more) ghosties.

god. this was the first kj charles book I read and also one of my first like, m/m romance reads in general?? [I think lee welch's salt magic, skin magic was my actual first, also a good one, come get y'all selkie juice]

I remember thinking to myself at the veeeery beginning "oh my god is he going to gently caress the ghost out of this house??" and I was hooked from there

kj charles and jordan l hawk go hand in hand if you find yourself enjoying that like, late 1890s-turn of the century vibe; whyborne-griffin's a looong series but it concluded in a very tidy manner, like, it didn't feel as though it dragged on longer than it should have.

comforthawk
Apr 15, 2018

oooo I've had a frost of cares in my to-read pile for a while--the greenhollow duology looks really good too!

I'm working my way through tavia lark's the sword-witch's heart, really liking how each installment focuses on a different couple but you still get to see the couples from the previous books too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comforthawk
Apr 15, 2018

messaged you, Enfys

also yea sorry dino. I kinda melted and didn't check this thread; I hope you enjoyed tavia lark's 2nd book [and 3rd! 3rd book's out too] in the series. I think enjoyment there really relied on like, the reader's willingness to understand and/or maybe forgive ronan for what he did to arthur

TODAY I'm settling in with lily mayne's seraph which is book six in the series, which has been pleasantly and reliably formulaic so far--Some Guy and Some Guy Who Happens To Be An Extraplanar Entity overcome trials and fall in love and there is probably An Interesting Genital Situation Of Some Sort