Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Happy Birthday and Happy Dreadday! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Quackles posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I think there's two separate parry windows when the EMMI shows up: once when it's about to pin Samus, and the second time when it's about to spike her.

That is indeed the case. However, the timing on both of them are extremely tight (3-5 frames apparently) and the timing isn't consistent, meaning that you essentially have to predict it rather than react to it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

girl dick energy posted:

David Jaffe (the God of War director) showed his entire rear end by getting stuck on stream and needing a watcher’s help, then made a video later calling the game a sacred cow with poo poo design…

Because he couldn’t find the shootable ceiling in the first area.

Irrelevant has-been desperate for attention - More at 11.

Edit: Seriously though, the man is a hypocrite. Even ignoring the fact that there was WAY more hidden poo poo in the old God of War games, he somehow puts Shantae on a pedestal despite the fact that it does the same thing as Dread.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 18, 2021

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Blaziken386 posted:

personally, the only other metroid I've completed is Samus Returns, because it's the only other one where Samus controls decently

in super metroid i bonk my head on everything, all the time

Play the GBA games. Samus started getting her more snappy movement post-Super, especially with Zero Mission.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
"Is it like the Wave Beam? or the Plasma Beam?!"
"It's the Dark Beam...no it's the Light Beam."

All wrong. It's the Diffusion Beam from Other M. :v:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Omobono posted:

Gotta love Samus simply relaxing and charging the cannon when she recognizes Kraid. "Hey old buddy, how is it going"

Samus is just completely unimpressed by Kraid at this point in her career, especially one that is restrained. Same energy when she dodges his last stomach spike - it's so effortless for her she almost looks bored doing it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Simply Simon posted:

Flash Shift is insanely good for combat

Flash Shift is insanely good even for traversal.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

FeyerbrandX posted:

The only issue I have with flash shift in combat is it doesn't give i-frames. I know honestly it doesnt make sense for being able to ignore a wall of damage just because you're moving really fast, but it just seems to break some unspoken rule of dodge abilities.

Think of it more like a Megaman X dash. Plus if it did have i-frames than the recharge timer on it would have had to have been drastically increased to try and balance it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Alternatively, you can also just run into that cold room right next to the missiles and charge a shinespark from there if you want the easy path.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
It also isn't the first time her neck has been "exposed", as in her armor not being bulky enough to nearly touch her helmet:

http://imgur.com/a/mKFDvp1

Also keep in mind that Samus is looking up in that shot which is making the neck look more exposed than it actually is.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bruceski posted:

Gratz, you beat Sporquatic Spawn, the boringest boss in the game.

and the easiest boss to skip to boot. :v:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Explopyro posted:

I'm embarrassed to admit that Drogyga stumped me for long enough that I resorted to looking it up, and felt really dumb when I realized I just didn't notice there was a button on the other side.

I keep seeing this being people's issue with Drogyga and I keep being compelled to ask: Did you not pay attention to the pre-fight cutscene?

Edit: \/\/\/ - Pointing out this post for the future.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Lone Badger posted:

Spreading snacks across the planet just makes things easier for Samus doesn't it?

No, cause X'd creatures are considerably tougher than their originals.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
You keep firing the omega beam for too long after the EMMI has already gone into his animation for his face armor breaking off. You could have avoided that whole runaround. :v:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
For anyone not following the Metroid Dread thread, Dread got nominated for GOTY. Get your votes in: https://thegameawards.com/nominees/game-of-the-year

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Epicmissingno posted:

I feel like if the game let you space jump at any point in your jump arc everyone would end up spamming the button so they jump again as fast as possible and it would feel even worse.

It would also probably function way worse as people would be jumping in two foot increments and would take longer to actually get where they want to go as a result.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
If nothing else, give Mercury Steam the props they deserve for making god-tier Gravity Suits.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

SL the Pyro posted:

Basically if you get the Screw Attack early via sequence breaking and enter the boss room with a Speed Booster charge, Escue becomes a loving joke.

Speaking of Speed Booster making bosses a joke: :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgLY7s8n0Kg

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

SL the Pyro posted:

...I have no idea where Golzuna's head is supposed to be, so I just guessed.

You got it backwards. The head is near the small legs. The big legs are used for attacking.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bremen posted:

but at some level he may still want his sort of daughter working for him just so he'd have someone to talk to while he conquers the galaxy with his army of clones and robots.

He makes it pretty clear that the only reason he wants Samus around is to be an obedient tool for his use. He's absolutely the kind of arrogant shitlord who has no need for love/family/companionship - just power.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

SL the Pyro posted:

And yet you didn't die to the final phase. I'm actually quite surprised by this because most people I've watched don't realize you have to charge the Hyper Beam, so they just get gobbled.

The funny thing is that not only did Nat not get gobbled, but his fumbling with the charging actually got him a near-perfectly executed speedrun strat for getting that kill, since firing it off immediately makes Kraid-X move slower and wastes time.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Explopyro posted:

(Although, on the other hand, something about Raven Beak, satisfying as he is to fight, just doesn't feel like a Metroid boss. I'm not sure if it's as simple as him being on the same scale as Samus rather than some giant room-filling behemoth, or the focus on melee combat and countering, or something else, but it doesn't quite feel Metroidy to me.)

That's because he's a Megaman X boss. While obviously not Metroid, absolutely fits this game given Samus' vastly improved mobility.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How did Raven Beak turn himself into a load-bearing boss? And how many planets has Samus blown up now?

Zebes, SR388, ZDR, and Phaaze.

Honorable mentions go to Dark Aether (planetary dimension) and the BSL Station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Nebrilos posted:

Could that be the source of the Kraid-X at the end of the game?

It's commonly theorized that the Kraid-X came from an X that found and assimilated Kraid's DNA from the stomach spike that was stuck in the wall at the end of the battle.