Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Natural 20 posted:

I will aim up over my dead body. If jump fire was good enough for Fusion it's good enough for this.

Also thank you everyone for the wonderful Birthday wishes!
[Narrator voice] It won't be good enough for this.

Alles Gute zum Geburtstag!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Epicmissingno posted:

Just because you have the morph ball now, don't forget about ZL to get through gaps! If you're not moving it's an instant morph, as opposed to tapping down twice. You also automatically switch to the morph ball if your slide ends and you're in a tunnel.

also you don't need to be moving to slide, just holding a direction, so you don't need to run away from walls and then run back to slide under
You can also instant morph ball in mid-air with ZL which is quite smooth sometimes, and necessary (?) for some puzzles

Reveilled posted:

I dunno, my impression is that there's something of a timing to it on the first flash at least. I've hit it maybe about ten times in my playthrough. Maybe I'm just luckier than average.

Glad to see you got those lava missiles Nat, I missed them when I got here due to a shortage of health and it's awkward as gently caress to go back for them.

One thing to note regarding secrets, if shooting charge beams doesn't work, try shooting missiles, they'll reveal hidden blocks even if they need something other than missiles to break them. Don't be stingy about using missiles! Remember your SOUL philosophy from Hollow Knight: if you're at full missiles, you are wasting missile drops.
1) Maybe but you still have to predict it

2) I'm currently doing a hard mode "speed" run and I wanted to get those asap as well (they're on the way and it's 10 at once!), but was almost out of health lol. Had to farm a tiiiny bit, hopefully still worth it

3) yeah this. Don't forget that missiles reveal blocks, shooting really only works for blocks that get destroyed by it (the white ones). Also missiles are THE best damage option for most of the game, maybe there's stretches were a new beam upgrade is best for a while but idk. missiles all the way imo

Bruceski posted:

Slots in this game are a bit odd, upgrades like beams overwrite the old ones instead of taking up more space.
I think that's sensible, there's no reason to take off a beam like in Super, and why have the whole list if the beams just add up? Not like the future beams won't be wide, for example. Like the rest of the game, it's just sleek and clean.

EDIT: just realized that gear upgrades don't give %, meaning that a 0% run should be possible unless there's an upgrade straight in the way like in Fusion?

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Oct 26, 2021

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The Kraid fight is so loving good. I love how it expects you to mix up all of your techniques. The basic way to damage him is missile spam, which opens his mouth and deals the most damage, that requires the free aim. If you keep angling the shots correctly, you can just missile his claws and keep shooting, which also replenishes your missiles, so you'll probably never run out. You can KEEP damaging him while he regurgitates stuff (the mouth is open after all), it's just harder - but it's better to replenish even more missiles here, but it's not just a matter of free-aiming again, because you can't shoot the fireballs, so this is now a part that demands mobility while you're shooting. Because you just got the triple beam, it's not that hard to aim correctly.

Then, in the second phase, suddenly the best course of action is the charge beam, as it pierces his gribblies and deals damage on the side, but it's better to use missiles when he does the purple flame attack. Finally, the spider grip is used to get up to the damage spot, missiles against claws returns like in the first phase, and you get a melee counter to deal massive damage and allow yourself to stay up there, allowing only your skill to dictate if you have to do the bellybutton part more than once.

And overall, once you've learned how to apply all of those techniques, the fight is over in less than a minute. Absolute masterclass in boss design imo.

skaianDestiny posted:

It's even worse if you do the bomb skip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ2WGL_q7bI
holy poo poo they programmed that in?! I immediately want to replay the game to find these kind of things!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

I hated the Yellow E.M.M.I. so goddamn much. I don't think any of the other ones gave me nearly as much trouble as that one did.
It's quite difficult, but it teaches you something very important: that sometimes, you gotta find a good "arena" to fight an EMMI in.

skaianDestiny posted:

Looks like it mostly comes from not knowing the new controls for it, which are hella smoother. Like jumping, wall jumps, slides, and morph ball transitions keeping the speed boost.
yeah it's insanely good, but previous Metroid knowledge (as in "that never worked, why would it!!!") has led me to look up "speedbooster tricks" videos for some of the stuff you gotta do. Also relevant info for example: you can activate the Shinespark in mid-air by pressing attack + jump at the same time. Afaict the game never tells you that.

Torrannor posted:

Adam mentioned the space jump in yellow text, so that's basically confirmed to be in the game, too? Combined with the apparent grapple beam points, Samus has quite a lot of mobility in this game. I appreciate that the flash shift will likely not be completely obsoleted by the space jump.
Flash Shift is insanely good for combat

Natural 20 posted:

In my defense, I instantly forgot that missiles revealed things that the beam didn't.
how is that a defense lmao

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

All of the "it would be way better if they did the controls like [x], it's an easy swap" arguments I've seen are invalid because they invariably fail to take into account at least three things that would have to be reworked immediately following that change. You could of course work from there and make everything different but in the end, that would only change where you put your fingers. The controls are optimal imo.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Twin Robots are super easy if Storm Missiles are used on them.
I died a bunch to them until I decided to try the upgrade I just got and was blown away by how good the Storm Missiles actually are. Curse Echoes for having a useless multi-missile upgrade and muddying the waters

(I take it back, I love Echoes, but Seekers suuuuck)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

Forgive me, but there is absolutely nothing that would need to be reworked if missiles fired from the R button and charged the same way the beam does on Y.

I can accept the double jump and space jump are conceits I will never accept as fine where the vast majority of people love them as they are, but there is absolutely no reason for the toggle to require R charge + Y.
That's true actually, I didn't consider this. The one thing you would lose with a dedicated R-as-fire-button is that you couldn't cancel Storm Missiles charges by just letting go of R - which might be useful to save missiles if you locked onto the wrong targets, or onto a boss while it's invulnerable.

Two things made me reconsider my "now it's fine actually" stance:
a) R as the missile toggle* was such a big innovation in Fusion, and a huge upgrade to the awkward as hell Select button in Super, that I didn't consider there might be an even better way
b) Mega Man Zero, a series I adore, has an incredibly stupid default control setting - buster on a face button (B for GBA, Y for DS/Switch) and hold R+B/Y for sword. First thing I do in any Zero game is immediately switch the controls to buster on B, sword on R, which incidentally also enables you to charge both separately, making it objectively better

I think for Dread, they wanted to keep the intuitive elegance of having fire ALWAYS be on Y (missiles AND grapple AND bomb upgrades being a toggle/charge on R), sacrificing a little bit of finger convenience. That's also why the EMMI kill move fires on Y after having to hold R to charge.

*it's not even a toggle - that would imply that you have to press it once to turn missiles on and then press it again to turn them off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Him railroading Samus down his own MGS2-style training maze also retroactively makes the game being quite linear make a lot of sense