Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Yas Queen (of Metroids).

Let's start with the important questions, is Space Jump in the game and will Nat curse its existence again?

E: actually watched the episode, that was not a Chozo, that was a Chozo in a power suit. Reminder that Samus' Fusion suit (even after absorbing the SA-X) is weaker than Chozo-tech.
I'm fairly sure the tutorial for opening the full map told you to use the plus button, not the d-pad.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'd say cutscene Samus seems quite on the ball for now.
Meeting an EMMI? Couple cannon blasts right in the weak spot followed by a missile without hesitation. When that clearly didn't work, time to make like a Geococcyx Californianus* and burn the road, her current armor even has the vaguely correct coloration for that.

^^^This guy's actual real world species

Thinking back on the first video, did she Metroid drain that Not_Hyper_Beam_can't_remember_actual_designation from the remains of that Brain? Because it made me think on how she gained her abilities back from X-cores in fusion.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

the brain gives the omega cannon, yes

No, I meant, instead of how she normally gains abilities she drained the omega cannon out of the brain through her new-ish* Metroid biology, but the brain didn't look X-infected.

*how much time has passed since Fusion?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Those are absolutely small Mother Brains. Teenager Brains maybe?

First EMMI was just blast, this second was overheat then blast, are there any bets on what the last will require?

Samus absolutely drained the Omega cannon and then the Spider Grip out of Brain and EMMI like she was a Metroid. Which makes sense.

Adam must be missing Samus, he keeps wanting her back on the ship

E: Auntie Brains, as they're Mother Brain younger sisters.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Oct 16, 2021

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Bifauxnen posted:

That icky monster door to the boss is the creepiest goddamn thing in the game so far imo :gonk:

It's a fantastic rendition of the standard boss door full heal and missile recharge monster. We've had them since Super, right?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Gotta love Samus simply relaxing and charging the cannon when she recognizes Kraid. "Hey old buddy, how is it going"
It also doubles as tutorial showing the player to go for the eyes mouth.

E: no really, such a breath of fresh air. She dealt with this guy almost as much as Ridley, she knows how this battle goes down.
Like, the only way for this to be more on the nose as Other M opposite, the cutscene would have had child Samus with a "gently caress him up" banner.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 28, 2021

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Gotta say, I'm impressed by Nat semi-consistently* managing to counter the EMMIs; then he gets caught again five seconds later.
It really does seem the best approach to EMMIs is to plan the route and then haul rear end as fast as possible, or simply RUN reactively if a route is unknown.
(Of course this EMMI has the speed booster so the strategy has problems)

*he pulled two counters by now, not counting the tutorial one

Marluxia posted:

This is the moment I was waiting for, when the game explicitly calls the space jump out as an upgrade :allears:

Let's Slay > Two Decades In The Making - Space Jump Lamentation Station

Bruceski posted:

Samus Aran: part human, part chozo, part metroid, part X, part blink dog...

All badass.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

On the other hand, Nat is the EMMI counter whisperer, that was insane.

He's just hitting the counter button at random times and that's the actual best strategy, isn't he?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Dread Samus is part blue hedgehog too. Neat and that pinballing looked slick as hell.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Other M Samus: "I don't breathe without Adam's authorization"

Dread Samus: "Don't worry, bird dad I just met, I got this"

I'm exaggerating Other M but gently caress yeah THIS is how Samus should be on the job.

What was that boss (? miniboss maybe?) a Chozo warrior robot?
Lastly I'm worried about Samus' hand glowing there, it didn't look like she did it consciously.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Thinking about it, it makes sense that the Chozo would be able to control metroids in some way. When a threat like the X forces you to the drawing board to create an unstoppable terror weapon inserting a backdoor or two (and a crippling ice weakness for good measure) is just good sense.

The space pirates and Mother Brain were somewhat able to control metroids as well (emphasis on somewhat), so the metroid creators ought to as well.

They also had the very good idea of giving control to a scholar tribe and not a warrior tribe. Of course the warriors can wedgie the nerds as shown by Raven Beak but eh, I don't think you can idiot proof this particular scenario.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

SugarAddict posted:

Dumb idea, he thinks he can control samus somehow and all the upgrades samus has been getting so far have been "poisoned" or something to help with that, because samus is part metroid and thus might be controllable, or already tried to control samus and failed and thus why she has "amnesia", and is just feeding her to get her back to where she was before while biding time to try and get a better control attempt off.

gently caress, this makes sense. Being able to control Samus, destroyer of worlds* would be a massive coup.

*I remember Zebes and SR388, what's the planet tally from Prime 1 to 3 and Other M?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

MonsterEnvy posted:

This is literally what Quiet Robe said. After they lost control of the Metroids the Thoha asked the Mawkin to help them, and they sealed the Metroids away. The Thoha then told Raven Beak and the Mawkin about the plan now to destroy the planet which would end the threats of the Metroids and X. Raven Beak killed the Thoha instead of going along with that, sparing Quiet Robe cause he needed one Thoha for his Metroid Bioweapon plans. Then he and the Mawkin went back to ZDR with Quiet Robe to prepare for capturing the Metroids, but one of the Mawkin was an X who infected the rest of the Warriors and put Raven Beak’s plan on hold until he dealt with that somehow. (Probably the robot Warriors as mentioned)

Then around this time some Federation guys stumbled on the planet, found a Metroid Larva on SR388 discovered the cool energy draining features and that it duplicated when exposed to certain radiations, only for their ship to get raided by the Space Pirates who stole the Metroid figured out it was Chozo Bio Science and went to Zebes to force the Chozo there to help turn it into a weapon. There the Zebes Bio Computer Mother Brain back stabbed the Chozo and joined up with the pirates having the ability to control the Metroids and all the Chozo knowledge. So the pirates killed the Chozo not needing them. Which led to Metroid 1/Zero Mission.

Samus: "So what I'm hearing here is that Ridley killed my second family because Raven Beak was a power hungry rear end in a top hat"

Raven Beak: "Why do I hear theme music?"

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

That boss was there :geno: I guess. Didn't drop anything or guard anything (new zone doesn't count).

Unrelated: "not worthy adversary"? Really Adam? Since when did you care about warrior honour? Are you trying to reverse psychology Samus into fighting Raven Beak? Just tell her to go get him any objections lady.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Gnoman posted:

Introducing Samus's snacks at this stage of the game is kind of interesting from a mechanics point of view. Even if you assume that the player has played the previous games and knows about that mechanic, it feels odd to bring it up so late.

They were in the initial cutscene and Quiet Robe just told Samus that Raven Beak contained them somehow.
I think the game will show new players what exactly happens when containment breaks.

From a mechanics perspective, I noticed that until now enemy drops were automatically attracted to Samus, but now she has to actively hunt her snacks.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Bruceski posted:

They still get sucked in from about the same range.

I seem to remember standard powerups flying in from across the screen. Whereas the snacking range is about two Samuses?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Torrannor posted:

Why are there these morphball booster tunnels at all? Who uses/used them? Could the chozo turn into balls as well? Or is this just a cool gameplay feature?

Yes? Samus is an adopted Chozo, her suit is a standard* issue Chozo suit and this is the home planet to a Chozo warrior tribe.
Also morph ball was THE first upgrade ever in Metroid (probably as a tutorial but nonetheless)

*as per Fusion probably far less standard and I have no idea how Raven Beak's suit compares to the Zero Mission / Samus Returns / Super Metroid suit.
He probably has an overengineered custom one, three times faster than your average Mobile Chozo Suit.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Welp, planet is hosed, ready the Death Star laser. Not that we didn't know this already.

Although I think I finally figured something that was bothering me: (speculation) why is Adam using Samus instead of lady? Oh dear he's been kidnapped by Raven Beak at the start of the game, that's his equivalent to blinking twice.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

In Metroid 2 Samus had to deal with a long established Metroid infestation, no way any X could be there in the nest. They're way more intelligent than what they seem at first, they knew to steer well clear of the zone.

The Lone Badger posted:

You can't vaporise X. Only snacking on them stops them.

They're subject to the second principle of thermodynamics like everything else, you can vaporise X, it's just a matter of firepower.
Samus arm cannon and missiles aren't powerful enough, blowing up a planet is, it's unknown where the line is between these two extremes.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Nebrilos posted:

Are we sure about this? I'm tickled by the idea of there being a massive cloud of X, just floating in space where SRX-388 was.
That's an horrifying thought, not gonna lie.

The Lone Badger posted:

My (extremely limited) understanding was that the reason you can't shoot parasite-form X is that they just choose not to interact with your bullet. They have to take physical form to do anything, and you can shoot that, but doing so just forces them back into parasite form where they are once more invulnerable.

No, in Fusion the arm cannon briefly stunned X in jelly parasite form, they're just really resilient.
They ignore wall collision in the games but (in my opinion) that's half tech limitations half stylistic choice.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

AtomikKrab posted:

They can turn the Emmi back off when Samus is dead,

Raven Beak probably feels he is bad rear end enough to make his way down to the EMMI and grab the DNA at that point then scamper off the planet while blowing it up to finish off the X

I mean, he punked Samus so hard her powerups popped out like she was a blue hedgehog, the arrogance is not without some basis.

Although he should have just killed her instead of whatever harebrained plan he concocted. You come at the queen you better not miss.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

AtomikKrab posted:

At the moment, Raven Beak probably doesn't feel like he did miss.

I'm sure he doesn't.
Let's ask him again after the boss fight*, shall we?

*and/or getting X'd in a cutscene and/or whatever could happen that'd make him not a boss fight

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Natural 20 posted:

Also yeah, I'll make a point not to talk about controls in the videos any more. I imagine it's absolutely maddening to hear that complaint on repeat.

It's a bit :psyduck: after you played Hollow Knight like a Stradivari seeing you struggle with the concept of hitting jump at the right time.

But yeah, the space jump lamentation station delivered and risks getting stale now.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I think that might have been a power bomb tease? The attack that killed you during that 4 tentacles on the wall sequence looked like a bomb (you can see it in the succesfull run)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

AtomikKrab posted:

Its actually an energy drain attack, you can tell by how its pulling energy down its limbs, and you got teasers from those other big enemies in the past.

Nat shot out its arms on the successful run before it could start draining.

You see what I'm talking about at slightly later than 4:55 (timestamped link to Nat's video).
Nat moves away and a bright spot where he was becomes visible.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

That's just mean.

Although that's a good showing of that ability during the four tentacles phase. It's a sort of beam from the mouth that creates an explosion after some painting time.

So that core X that dissolved into lava might have carried power bomb, some sort of beam upgrade, or an unknown powerup not appearing in this game (because it just got melted)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

So what you're saying is Samus is

The Lone Badger posted:

So what you're saying is that Raven Beak is actually a dwarf.

exploring Boatmurdered goddammit beaten

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I assume Nat hit the emmi just after sliding under it and it glitched into an instakill skipping animations.

Glad to see Samus ate Bomberman while she was taking her vacation in Smash*, his bombs do round out her arsenal.
*Is Bomberman in Smash?

Do you think she trained under Kirby to control her Metroid powers?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Was the closeup on Samus' face at the end a direct reference to the equivalent scene in Fusion? There was no surprise this time around, I'd say she knew she wasn't dealing with the real Adam from the first communication node.

AtomikKrab posted:

Well at least Raven Beak is honest about his intentions

Also he is an idiot,

he should have just killed Samus when she was unconscious and salvaged what he could.

I think this his greed blowing up in his face.
He had Samus, he had her Metroid magic DNA*, but it would have taken some time to breed the new babies metroids, so he decided that letting the Queen live was a good idea.

*obligatory Morbo voice: "genetics do not work that way"

Bruceski posted:

"My daughter, I was the source of your DNA."
"So were at least six other things and they were all better parents than you. Including the X."
"Where were you when Ridley killed my human parents or my bird parents"

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ungulateman posted:

raven beak: "if you aren't strong enough to kill these stupid robots those idiots in government sent here, you aren't worth my time."
:agreed:
Dude's so arrogant that he thinks Samus must earn the right to become his pet metroid. If she fails, whatever, Metroid breeding program is still go.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Reveilled posted:

Maybe it's cause I haven't played a Metroid since Super or it's because I'm a big dumb idiot, but until someone mentioned it in the Games thread I didn't realise at all that it was supposed to have been Raven Beak all along. I thought he was just pretending to be Adam here in the cutscene, and all the other times you were talking to real Adam.

Apart from the general "Raven Beak is so cool and awesome and his wings are so thicc you stand no chance" he never called Samus "lady" once. Adam did in the initial cutscene. Real Adam would have had an average of 1.5 "any objections, Lady" per conversation.

But if you haven't played Fusion (like for example Raven Beak) you'd not know about that small but very important tidbit.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

By the way, can I appreciate Cutscene Samus again?

Natural20: "Go to hell Raven Beak"
Cutscene Samus: *points and shoots her arm cannon at the Adam disguise like she and Nat rehearsed the timing*

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

You could see Nat learning how to properly space jump in real time :allears:

The metroid drain at the end of the boss fight was a desperation move, but I think it's telling that she vaporized X-Raven instead of eating it when she had the choice.

I noticed that during the escape sequence Samus was eating enemies on contact. Little bit of integration with what was happening.

Bruceski posted:

The last Metroid is out of captivity. The galaxy is at peace.

The last Metroid is out of captivity. The galaxy better be at peace. Or else the Queen is going to come to have words.

The Lone Badger posted:

It turns out that Samus's chozo powersuit was the baby version for Thoha nerds, and the Mawkin tribe kept the real good stuff for themselves.

I think his suit was powered by the whole facility to fire that cannon, while Samus' metroid(?) suit was draining all the energy in a three kilometer radius to do the same.
E: when she was draining Raven Break the ship they were on was getting directly drained too, I think it's fair to speculate dude was directly hooked up to enough power generators for a decent sized town.

I mean, how much maintenance must his Custom Mobile SuitTM require, considering how bad a number Samus did on it during the boss fight? Her suit keeps 100% integrity until total failure and can recover from anything simply given energy.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Samus is a Samus. It's probably the only applicable descriptor by now.