Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

This was a meh year for me, got to do some new cool things but covid really sucked again this year.

Highlights
- Made it out to Gaspesie, climbed a few of the popular mountains
- Almost finished the Southern Quebec 1100m list
- Saw lots of wildlife: black bear, moose, caribou, fox., vultures. No wolves for some reason.
- Turned the corner on some chronic health issues and finished the year stronger and faster than I've been in half a decade

Lowlights
- Weather sucked, rained every week of my vacation except for the biggest heat wave of the year
- My government decided removing access to outdoor public space was a good way to fight a pandemic so my itinerary got hosed
- Lots of "defensive" bookings when we were in lockdown hitting 100% capacity online for almost all the good parks, only to see empty parks in person
- US kept the border shut after pressuring us to open lol. Second year in a row i couldn't make it to the Adirondacks after finally moving close to the border in March 20200
- Getting really bored of the local areas that mostly cater to canoers and hunters

How was it for you guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

The season is just starting for me since it's cooling off enough in the desert and local mountains to get out again. Right now I have these ones planned and will add some more later:

quote:

Corte Madera Mountain
Cuyamaca Peak
Lawson/Gaskill Peaks
Whale Peak
High Point
El Cajon Mountain

For summer though, I just did some mashups of trails around Mission Trails Regional Park here in San Diego since we had a babby in late March and I didn't want to stray too far.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Gonna make it to 52 with weekends to spare, despite smoke.
Saw a goat.
Saw big fuzzy goat balls.
Managed to see some larches.
Performed some trail magic.
Got buzzed by a Growler.
Gotten a little tired of all the driving.
Spent lots of money on snowshoes.
Need to get an actual avalanche class in.
Probably gonna need full on winter boots.
Daypack probably won’t cut it for all the extra winter gear.
Seen lots of wildflowers, bodies of water, big pointy rocks, rodents, birds, elk butts, nice dramatic sunsets and sunrises, and the stars.
Already planning and reserving next year.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Not long enough. Last year I was able to hike until the last week of November. This year things have been done for two weeks already cause of some early season storms rolling in. I'm not really complaining, we really need the moisture.

Things started kinda super lovely with two hikes that had over 7200 ft and 6700 ft of vertical gain. It was nuts.

I made it to Wyoming for the first time since 2012 for some hiking. I suppose I should mention I drive through the southwest corner of the state consistently to get to the Uintas but I wanted to see what all Wyoming had. This led to the third longest hike I've done at 30+ miles trying to get to Fremont Peak but it turns out it's even further than that. Already planning a return trip. I did do Wyoming Peak and Mt Coffin on a separate trip too.

I had some pretty bad anxiety about a test for school and I couldn't sleep one night, so I drove through the night to Mt Ellen and climbed up one of the ultra prominent peaks. A couple weeks later I went a little further for Mt Peale, thus completing all 8 ultra prominent peaks in the state.

I was sorta in Wyoming a third time, this time to find the elusive Idaho-Montana-Wyoming state tripoint. It took about 300 miles of driving, 6 miles of biking, and 4 miles of wandering through the outer limits of Yellowstone with no hint of a trail to find it, but drat it I found that stupid marker.

I also had plans to be in Nevada a lot more this year but that just never happened so hopefully I can get that going for next year.