Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
This is where we talk about things appearing in film and TV that aren’t the story, the actors, the music, the editing, the director, the crew, and the… catering?

Namely, this is about the props and wardrobe from these movies and shows, because they’re so cool! Sometimes people want to buy the originals (and they can go for top money these days), and other people are happy to make their own version of something!

People display them, wear them, use them in their own films, and just generally love them. From the Ghostbusters’ proton packs to Darth Vader’s lightsaber, to Batman’s cowl, collectors collect (and make) virtually everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Paging gregday because you all know why.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Fuzz posted:

Paging gregday because you all know why.

Heyo.

Been doing lots of Ghostbuster stuff lately to get ready for Halloween and the Afterlife premiere. Almost finished retrofitting real Foster brass connectors into my Matty Collector trap, and working on my boots a little to make them more accurate. Plus I made a completely original new gadget I can't wait to share. Photos soon.

It's worth noting the Prop Store of London is holding a pretty big auction next month. You can view the catalogue here. Anything I'd want is wildly out of my budget.

Rather than dump all of my collection photos on this thread, I try to keep my YourProps.com page pretty up to date.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Reserved.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I don't collect props, but I like gregday's posts so I'll mostly lurk.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I've never actually dressed up in a full costume since I was a kid. But I love props and bits of clothing from movies, tv, games, books, etc. It's something tangible from the story, a piece of magic in your hand.

Here's some pictures of my stuff that I took for another thread...

My Magnum Opus

I'll suit up in for Halloween and the premier of the new movie.

I'm too lazy to describe each thing, but if you want to know about something let me know. I might even be able to find where I got it.

I'm working on something from ASOIAF right now, I'll post it when I'm done.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
That Carcetti bumper sticker owns so much, I love it

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Pretty sure I got that from red bubble.

The Wire is one of my favorite TV shows and I really wanted something from it. But since the show is so grounded in reality there isn't much that is identifiable from it. Its not like I could get a Barksdale brand crack vial or something. lol

gregday
May 23, 2003

deoju posted:

I've never actually dressed up in a full costume since I was a kid. But I love props and bits of clothing from movies, tv, games, books, etc. It's something tangible from the story, a piece of magic in your hand.

Here's some pictures of my stuff that I took for another thread...

My Magnum Opus

I'll suit up in for Halloween and the premier of the new movie.

I'm too lazy to describe each thing, but if you want to know about something let me know. I might even be able to find where I got it.

I'm working on something from ASOIAF right now, I'll post it when I'm done.

Hello friend

Are you planning to go to the premier in full gear? I’m nervous about my theater being cool with it. I think I might go see them a few days ahead and explain my intentions, show them pictures of the whole getup and make sure it won’t be a problem. I’m even planning to buy an extra ticket to make sure I have an empty seat to put my pack in during the film.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I made this a couple of weeks ago. It’s not based on any actual prop. I just wanted a box I could clip on my uniform belt that when you flip a switch would play the Ecto-1 siren and flash a blue light and that’s exactly what it does.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

One time the wardrobe person for The Deuce came through a vintage clothing shop I used to source clothes for, and bought a bunch of poo poo for the show. Like the ugliest 70s leather jackets you have ever seen. So I'm pretty sure some of my stuff ended up on camera, but I never watched the show to find out. Not sure if it fits with the thread, but that's my story. Peace

kreeningsons fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 13, 2021

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

gregday posted:

Heyo.

Been doing lots of Ghostbuster stuff lately to get ready for Halloween and the Afterlife premiere. Almost finished retrofitting real Foster brass connectors into my Matty Collector trap, and working on my boots a little to make them more accurate. Plus I made a completely original new gadget I can't wait to share. Photos soon.

It's worth noting the Prop Store of London is holding a pretty big auction next month. You can view the catalogue here. Anything I'd want is wildly out of my budget.

Rather than dump all of my collection photos on this thread, I try to keep my YourProps.com page pretty up to date.

I was flipping through that Prop Store of London auction catalog and really want the desk lamp from Aliens (the stills show it in several scenes in the med bay area). One of my favorite movies and also I grew up in the family business which was a lighting store, so I’m probably the one of the only people who would nerd out on that particular item. If the starting bid was a buy-it-now and I didn’t have to worry about fees and international shipping I’d be all over that sumbitch.

Do things like that just get re-listed until someone buys it? Also, I noticed a bunch of random poo poo like *random crew member’s* employment contract (as in like gaffers and whatnot) and other assorted paperwork being auctioned. Does anyone actually buy poo poo like that?

Also, I found it interesting in the listing for a stormtrooper helmet from RotJ it mentioned that they only made about fifty of them, I woulda assumed it would’ve been waayyy more but now I think about it, the only time you ever see that many troopers in one shot is when the imperial shuttle lands, so I dunno. I guess I figured they’d just have a couple hundred lying around.

Edited for clarity

2nd E: just realized that lamp is lot 426!
: )

Bulgaroctonus fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 13, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Some stuff definitely gets relisted. That ABC robot from Judge Dredd has come up at Prop Store a few times now.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Some stuff definitely gets relisted. That ABC robot from Judge Dredd has come up at Prop Store a few times now.

Do they ever get cheaper (lol)? Looking at it I’m reasonably sure I can make a near perfect replica, but I don’t care about the prop so much as screen time (though it is a snazzy lamp). It’s in the scene (among others) where Ripley and Newt are napping and almost get face hugged, probably the most tense poo poo I’d seen at the time. Also, it’s special to me because my daughter used to look uncannily like Newt (until she said ‘gently caress long hair’ and now has mid-‘80’s Dazzler’s hair).

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Just here to share a funny story involving original movie wardrobe stuff.

About 16 years ago I was with my brother in a funky used clothing store in Jacksonville, FL. Apparently they liked to buy out large lots of screen-used clothing items from movies. They were just like, regular clothes, but almost every time we would pick something up off the rack, the lady behind the counter would be like, "that jacket was worn by Paul Walker in The Fast and the Furious" and we would go "oh, no poo poo?" Variations on this happened enough times that it started to be kind of funny, like every random boring-looking shirt we pointed at was secretly from some famous movie.

Eventually I found this amazing 1989 Batman t-shirt with a huge image of Keaton's Batman and the word "BATMAN" in huge block letters underneath. My brother looked at it and deadpanned "you know, that shirt was worn by Batman, in the movie Batman." I bought it, obviously. Please enjoy this very, very old picture of me, and my favorite shirt.

To this day I always tell people "you know, this shirt was worn by Batman, in the movie Batman."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh yeah, you can pick up surprise bargains if you’re interested in more niche shows/movies.

I bought this jacket from The Get Down earlier this year for what I think is very reasonable.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

gregday posted:

Hello friend

Are you planning to go to the premier in full gear? I’m nervous about my theater being cool with it. I think I might go see them a few days ahead and explain my intentions, show them pictures of the whole getup and make sure it won’t be a problem. I’m even planning to buy an extra ticket to make sure I have an empty seat to put my pack in during the film.

Yeah, I'm planning on it. I'll feel like a huge goober doing it by myself, but I'd regret not going.

You're doing the responsible thing by doing all that. With the blinking lights and wires it could definitely be misconstrued as a weapon. I'm just going to show up and hope they don't mind. If not I'll go back to the parking lot and put it in my trunk. If I worked at a school or a hospital I'd run it by the bosses before showing up with it. I wouldn't want "caused a bomb scare" in my personnel file.

gregday posted:

I made this a couple of weeks ago. It’s not based on any actual prop. I just wanted a box I could clip on my uniform belt that when you flip a switch would play the Ecto-1 siren and flash a blue light and that’s exactly what it does.

Nice.

How do you like those boots? Like not just as a costume piece. I've got some Doc Martens that are close enough, but they need to be replaced soon anyway and I was thinking of getting those.

kreeningsons posted:

One time the wardrobe person for The Deuce came through a vintage clothing shop I used to source clothes for, and bought a bunch of poo poo for the show. Like the ugliest 70s leather jackets you have ever seen. So I'm pretty sure some of my stuff ended up on camera, but I never watched the show to find out. Not sure if it fits with the thread, but that's my story. Peace
The Deuce was great, you should check it out. I can't help but wonder if the stuff they thrifted got worn by extras since they might need multiples of stuff for the stars.

deoju fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Oct 13, 2021

gregday
May 23, 2003

deoju posted:

How do you like those boots? Like not just as a costume piece. I've got some Doc Martens that are close enough, but they need to be replaced soon anyway and I was thinking of getting those.

They are Corcoran 995’s. I painted the zippers silver, removed the leather flap that covers the zipper pull and blackened the button snaps the flaps connect to. I had to buy some paracord and make new laces as the 60” ones included are woefully short.

I’ve worn them a couple of times with my uniform so they are still a bit stiff and need more breaking in, but I can feel how they get more comfortable over time. They do run about a half size small, particularly the calves feel slim, so go big especially if you plan to tuck your cuffs in.

For GB1 looks they are 99% there. I think the originals were Carolinas.. ?

For anyone else following Ghostbusters chat who wants to get into it, GBFans.com is the place. They have a shop where you can get many different parts to start building your own gear. A big part of prop replicating is research. When I was building my Inception PASIV case, I spent over 6 months trying to track down a single model of brass gear. The only place I could find it was a single hobby store in Norway that sold parts for RC model boats. The great thing about Ghostbusters is because of its age and devotion of the fans, every single thing has been figured out, and there are numerous 100% accurate parts lists and build guides for everything. Some of the parts are harder to come by (like the Italian ITT relay on the Trap Pedal), but the information is out there. There's no research to do, no mysteries to solve. These are the same people who complained that one of the nicest replica jumpsuits ever made had 1) the wrong "no ghost" patch, which was round, and ideally to be GB1 accurate, should be kind of lumpy and not idealistically round, 2) the patch was sewn on with the wrong number of stitches, 3) the stitches were not exactly in the correct places.

I simultaneously feel like "Jesus Christ, you loving nerds" and also deeply respect their commitment.

For all props in general, my go to site is The Replica Prop Forum (http://therpf.com). It's full of amateurs and pros alike and has great advice and info. It's one of Adam Savage's hangouts.

gregday fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 13, 2021

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Counting stitches, wow.

I bought a few metal stickers from gbfans. They really do have everything.

I'll probably get those boots eventually. I'm lazy about lacing my shoes as it is, and the zipper would be nicer than elastic.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'd love to do a Proton Pack one day. It's def on my nerd bucket list of things to cosplay as.

----------

I own a screen accurate fully tailored 10th Doctor trenchcoat

Also own the suit, tie, and Converse-all stars to complete the look.
The suits at my Dads or I'd post some shots.

Guy I bought it from has gone for super accuracy - http://www.tennantcoat.com/2010/03/photos-of-peril.html
We're talking fabric, buttons, stitches, lining with correct stripes. The works.
The only difference is that I've gone for a slightly lighter colour on my coat, compared to 10s on screen coat, as it reflects what the actual one looks like under lights and the rest.

It's been a number of years since I've worn it, as I've grown a full beard, but it's still one of the nicest things I own.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
I have a garish western-style shirt that was worn by an extra in the 1989 classic Roadhouse.

I also have a full size replica prop of the weird mushroom lamp thing from Troll.

That's all I need.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Gutter Phoenix posted:

That's all I need.

You know. This triggered in my brain that my all time favorite movie is the Jerk, but I've never thought of getting any props from the movie (if possible).

Anyone have any idea where to start looking for such a thing?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

They’ve worked out how to attach a Spengler proton gun to a Spirit pack!

Kit here

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Neat. Kinda want to pick up one of those to tinker with.

Everyone itt do me a favor. Go see Dune, it owns and deserves a Part 2. There's tons of awesome props, costumes, and production design in it. If you are into this stuff it's worth it for that alone. I'm already planning a wrist shield generator and hoping to figure out how to do justice to a crys knife.

Edit: go see it if you feel safe doing so. You can also watch it on HBO's streaming service.

deoju fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 22, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVXFj7Azgc8

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Starring this thread to remind myself to see how much this ludicrously expensive proton-pack is going to be

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Went to a local antique mall this weekend and they had a case with fan made props for sale I thought folks might get a kick out of.

I didn't buy anything, but may go back for a Nakatomi Plaza badge.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

What’s this switch panel behind everything?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Honestly didn't pay much attention to it. I'll see what it is next time I'm there.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So uhhhhh how does one ship from Haslabs to Australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UShUHhLaW_Y

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Zavvi is picking up a bunch of the slack in the EU, do you have them over there?

gregday
May 23, 2003

These just came in

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Finally the Spiderman/Spoderman crossover event we’ve all been waiting for

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Infinitum posted:

So uhhhhh how does one ship from Haslabs to Australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UShUHhLaW_Y

I’m ordering my limit on these so if for whatever reason you don’t get a way to order one I’d be happy to ship you one of mine for cost + shipping if your customs doesn’t rake you over the coals to the point that it’s not worth it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

various replica stuff from my rompus/game/reptile room. also some of the weird assorted plushes/posters and statues. i can take more pics later.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Someone who worked on the set of Batman Begins is offering me a full set of League of Shadows ninja armor, including the gi and a rubber stunt sword. It’s all screen used. The downside is it’s going to cost about the same as my last car.

I’m a huge fan, but I’m starting to question just where my limits are.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Day 2 of the Propstore auction and everything’s going for insane prices.

gregday
May 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Day 2 of the Propstore auction and everything’s going for insane prices.

Yup. Yesterday the hero Hoverboard from BTTF2, signed by both Michael J. Fox and Thomas Wilson (Biff) went for £300,000.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
I have a Scrabble board that was in the game room on LOST. I'd post a picture, but it literally is just a Scrabble game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Looking for Christmas gifts. Does anyone know where a good / reputable place to buy screen used props are?

Specifically for Buffy the TV Show, Roswell, Parks & Rec, but really anywhere I can virtually browse around. .