Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I wrote 500 words two days ago. Then yesterday I was too dizzy to do poo poo so I didn't write.

But today is my day off so I'm going to buckle down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

HIJK posted:

I wrote 500 words two days ago. Then yesterday I was too dizzy to do poo poo so I didn't write.

But today is my day off so I'm going to buckle down.

Hell yeah, get those words on the page!

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Today I closed off the final scene at the Act I break into II part of the story and it took ~8 hours to write a ~4k behemoth of an emotional scene that caps off two previous scenes that advancing a romantic subplot that I had never planned in the first place.

Just :wtf: why do these things keep happening.

How do folks who normally discovery write stay sane?

This story was supposed to be a progression fantasy and now it has morphed into something that very much doesn't feel like progression fantasy and isn't magic school fantasy either but the story doesn't feel big enough to qualify as epic fantasy right now so I'm very much feeling like I've screwed up this whole "write to market" thing.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

Leng posted:

Watching as your characters naturally grow, and respond to the crazy things that you throw at them, is a lot of fun. It's in the edits and revisions you can fine tune things, remove things that just didn't work.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Leng posted:

This story was supposed to be a progression fantasy and now it has morphed into something that very much doesn't feel like progression fantasy and isn't magic school fantasy either but the story doesn't feel big enough to qualify as epic fantasy right now so I'm very much feeling like I've screwed up this whole "write to market" thing.

You shouldn’t feel bad about having to go back through later and remove stuff that grew out of control. It’s not fun, but it happens a lot.

Whenever I start writing without a plan, things tend to get dark and twisted way too fast. All of my characters become tortured emotionally. I’ll often go back through and remove a lot of words, turning what’s explicit into something more implicit. I don’t know. It feels a little to me like trying to control that urge to spill your deepest, darkest secrets to everyone you meet. Not every person needs to know that stuff. Not every book needs to do everything.

And now I’ve officially written more on this today than I have on my NaNo project.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Leng posted:

Today I closed off the final scene at the Act I break into II part of the story and it took ~8 hours to write a ~4k behemoth of an emotional scene that caps off two previous scenes that advancing a romantic subplot that I had never planned in the first place.

Just :wtf: why do these things keep happening.

I wrote my last manuscript draft about a character who overcome some trauma-induced passivity. Then while I was working on my current re-write I realized that it felt wrong that she made all that personal progress just to end up with a man who was so much like how she used to be. So then I used this former romance character as a framing device to show the reader how her development changes over the course of the story, and the story now ends with them parting ways bittersweetly as he finds inspiration to change himself after seeing how she grows. I now have a way more interesting and consistent ending that reflects the protagonist's journey.

This is the bonus of discovery writing for me, as if I'd stuck with my old, strict outlines, then maybe I could have had a final draft finished and ready to shop by now, but it would have bothered the hell out of me if I hadn't addressed my qualms with the story as I wrote it by exploring it in different ways.

Coquito Ergo Sum fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 12, 2021

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I hit 20k today! It was a bit of a rough start because I made the mistake of leaving discord open and got sidetracked by chatting with friends, oops. But I still managed to snag ~1600 today and because I bulked up a bit last weekend I'm (a little) ahead of course.

I need it to be the weekend again immediately :cry: having to cram 1600 words in at night after a ten hour work day is killer.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
10187 words hahahaHAHAHAHhahah

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

That's a lotta words! Good job!

I just passed 26k, so that's a relief.

Post your muse. My last 2k were written lying on the sofa, with this monstrosity pinning down one arm.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

Nettle Soup posted:

Post your muse. My last 2k were written lying on the sofa, with this monstrosity pinning down one arm.

She's helping

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Just shy of 45k words :woop: I'm gonna cross 50k soon, I can feel it! (and then...I've got at least another 50k to go to wrap up this story)

DropTheAnvil posted:

Watching as your characters naturally grow, and respond to the crazy things that you throw at them, is a lot of fun. It's in the edits and revisions you can fine tune things, remove things that just didn't work.

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

This is the bonus of discovery writing for me, as if I'd stuck with my old, strict outlines, then maybe I could have had a final draft finished and ready to shop by now, but it would have bothered the hell out of me if I hadn't addressed my qualms with the story as I wrote it by exploring it in different ways.

I'm certainly feeling this, because there are scenes and chapters that have turned out really well that I never would have been able to outline my way to in the first place.

newts posted:

You shouldn’t feel bad about having to go back through later and remove stuff that grew out of control. It’s not fun, but it happens a lot.

Whenever I start writing without a plan, things tend to get dark and twisted way too fast.
It is really interesting to see the kind of things that pop up unplanned. I don't even read romance so I'm kind of wondering what this says about me as a writer that romance stuff keeps coming up. :confused:

Nettle Soup posted:

Post your muse.

Cute dogs in this thread! I gotta balance this out:

This is the star of my livestreams. He spends most of his time out of frame as pictured, but generally shows up at least once per stream to try and steal my food, get tangled up in my earbuds, block my view of the screen, add unsolicited edits to my scenes and also nibble on me if I'm too slow in giving head/chin scratches. What a royal pain in the backside.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I'm a good speller. Great. Good speller. But, tie me to a railroad track and ask me how to spell "noticeable" correctly on the first try, and I would likely get it wrong the first time every time. That stupid e.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

rememberered and maintinance , I should get the spell checker to just auto-fix those two.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I taught myself to spell by finding problem words and pronouncing them phonetically to myself, which really helps until moments where even today, I'll say the word "rest-ow-rant" out loud. In front of people.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021
Hit 40K, and pretty happy with my draft that is developing!

I have a lot of action scenes I need to iron out in the rewrites, but that can wait for December!

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

Passed 25k yesterday and today I'm in a stall. I'm going to try to slam out a couple words this evening, but probably going to just take today as a break from the big Work of it.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
This is my little writing buddy. He grumpily tolerates the sound of me clacking away on a typewriter in the middle of the night.

I finished chapter 1 of my rough draft at around 23 pages. Set up a ton of plot hooks, realized I might have too many characters, and took a story about magic knights-in-training and made the protagonist immediately repulsed by violence after killing his first bandit. I feel like the conventional storytelling logic says that I should let him actually get some training in first, THEN have to fight someone and kill them, and then realize the weight of what he's been practicing for. But in a way just immediately diving into "i thought this was a job for the pure of heart, but actually it's really horrible" feels pretty exciting. who knows what direction things will go in?

It's pretty fun. I got burnt out so bad doing creative writing in college, I thought it was maybe impossible for me to actually enjoy writing anything. Just the act of finding joy in writing again is really liberating.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I am writing. I need to total my word count but I am writing.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
13,720 words total. bros...I'm not gonna make it...

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Cross posting this from the fiction writing advice thread for any other planners who are absolutely losing it because you've run out of outlining time and you're being forced to discovery write your way through to the end:

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

One of the things I've found with novel writing is that characters are disobedient and outlines rarely hold together when things hit the road BUT also that your best material often comes out of being forced to adapt to something unexpected

My latest update: I spent Chapter 9 getting to know character A, got attached, got to the part in my outline where I have to kill off a character next, which was originally supposed to be character B that has appeared on screen but we haven't gotten to know him, then realized that it would work much better if I killed character A because I'd just spent a whole chapter developing his relationship with the POV character and that would be a punch in the gut and also because character A was conveniently situated so that it was much easier to kill him off compared to finding an organic way to get character B in the scene to be killed.

:rip: to character A. I feel very bad but somebody had to die to raise the stakes and unfortunately, my discovery writing brain overruled my outline and said it was you.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

That’s the joy of discovery writing lol. I was going to put a romance in mine, then I just wasn’t feeling it so nope! Cutting room floor in real time. (This is not a “reel” time pun but in the spirit of NaNo I’m not changing it, no editing allowed.)

I’m still a bit behind, but I have 22.4K words and one completed reader magnet prequel! :toot: It’s real rough lol, my revision guide is a good five pages of notes of things that need to be fixed, cut, or expanded on, but still it’s done!

Now onto the next one…

Cephas posted:

Just the act of finding joy in writing again is really liberating.
This post was so nice to read, I just started writing creatively again this year and it’s been a blast for me, too. And I love your gecko buddy. :love:

HIJK posted:

13,720 words total. bros...I'm not gonna make it...
Isn’t this only over like two days? Serious progress, I’m just glad you’re feeling better!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

kaom posted:

Isn’t this only over like two days? Serious progress, I’m just glad you’re feeling better!

I wrote 5,075 words 27,638 characters today :staredog:

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

HIJK posted:

I wrote 5,075 words 27,638 characters today :staredog:

Heck yeeeeah! You are gonna make it dude!

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

My grammar/punctuation checks for my chapters are done. 31K words altogether, now.

I also showed my first few chapters on a writing subreddit to motivate myself, and a person with one of those "Hey, I'm a person!" titles under their name read it, and gave me compliments. I won't share the name, but I can turn my head right now and see it on my bookshelf.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
I have spent three days being totally and completely stuck on my second act, with blank outline for my third act.

Yesterday after writing some truly horrible horrible words that I don't know what to do with and are very broken, I gave up and started moving all of my world building notes out of my Google Doc and into a Tiddly Wiki so I could actually find things in it. I also spent a bunch of time trying to map my outline using a modified version of this MICE Quotient/Save the Cat template in an effort to troubleshoot where I was going wrong.

I ended up with a version that would probably have worked, but it would have turned out to be minimum 100k words and could easily balloon out to 250k words depending on how many plot elements and characters got introduced. Considering that's totally unfeasible for self-publishing and also unachievable by the end of the year, I decided to go the other way and try scaling the story down by shoving the elements I had planned for Act II and Act III into sequels instead.

I think I now have an outline of a much smaller, more personal story, that ought to wrap up around 75,000 words, max. I'm at 58.5k words now, and they're roughly split 38.7k book 1 and 19.8k book 2. That means:

1. Relative to the goal of having a completed full novel that's 75k words long: there's roughly 36.3k words to flesh out and finish off the rest of book 1, so I'll need to write something like 4k words/day until the end of November. That's not outside the realms of possibility, as 10 out of the 21 days so far have been 3k+ word days for me, so as long as I have a good idea of what my scenes are, I should be ok.

2. Relative to my original goal of 75k words during November: if I count my book 2 words as well, then I have another 16.5k to do over the remaining 9 days which is a little over 1.8k words per day and very achievable now that I know where I should be going.

3. Relative to the goal of hitting 50k words for one story: 11.3k to go on book 2, which is just under 1.3k words per day. I've only had 1 day (yesterday) where I've been sub 1.3k words for a day of writing so that should be very doable.

All of that said, revision is going to be an absolute mess. Oh well, that is a problem for future me. Here's hoping that I don't get stuck again!!!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I have Done Writing but i'm too tired to collate

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Hit todays goal with 10 minutes left before midnight, between rounds of Spirit Island. :v:

Still on goal every day, but the thing I'm writing atm is a mess, I have no idea how I'm gonna edit it down into something readable.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Hit 40,000 today, I'm hoping to wrap it up this long weekend 😎

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021
Hit 50K, another Nano down woop woop!

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Six chapters in and yeah I don't think that I will be doing any challenges anytime soon, unless it's work on one of my main series. That plus the baby meant that I will have to defer this project.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
I’m at a truly shameful 5,000 words. Which is what I expected trying to tackle the parts of my book that I’m totally stuck on for NaNo. Next year I might try this pantsing thing.

Congrats to everyone who’s going to finish! And to everyone who accomplished their goals.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

14,000 words to go and it's the 25th aaaaaaaaa.

It's fine.

I've also only written 2.5 chapters out of 16 or so, so this is going to be a really damned long book.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
PROGRESS HAS BEEN MADE!

Leng posted:

1. Relative to the goal of having a completed full novel that's 75k words long: there's roughly 36.3k words to flesh out and finish off the rest of book 1, so I'll need to write something like 4k words/day until the end of November. That's not outside the realms of possibility, as 10 out of the 21 days so far have been 3k+ word days for me, so as long as I have a good idea of what my scenes are, I should be ok.

2. Relative to my original goal of 75k words during November: if I count my book 2 words as well, then I have another 16.5k to do over the remaining 9 days which is a little over 1.8k words per day and very achievable now that I know where I should be going.

3. Relative to the goal of hitting 50k words for one story: 11.3k to go on book 2, which is just under 1.3k words per day. I've only had 1 day (yesterday) where I've been sub 1.3k words for a day of writing so that should be very doable.

All of that said, revision is going to be an absolute mess. Oh well, that is a problem for future me. Here's hoping that I don't get stuck again!!!

1. I have outlined all 9 scenes in the murder mystery arc that I've added which is probably another 18k words, give or take. There's a few other scattered character scenes I need to flesh out, so I'm feeling good on this point - this revised version of the story is definitely manageable in around 75k words.

2. Passed 75k this morning! :woop: :dance: :woop:

3. Annnnd I didn't think to add it up until just now, but I have hit 49k words for just Book 1 alone so gonna hit 50k for it tomorrow. :toot:

Xalidur posted:

I've also only written 2.5 chapters out of 16 or so, so this is going to be a really damned long book.

I feel you, my fellow writer with long chapters my first two chapters came in at 14,470 words :aaa: :hf: :aaa: I do not know how my chapters end up this long, only that they do and also that shorter chapters feel weird and incomplete to me.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I hit 50k yesterday :unsmith:

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Amazing, congrats to those who are finishing already! :toot:

I’m right down to the wire. I just hit 43k tonight, so I’d better overshoot tomorrow or I’m really going to be racing to the end! I’ve had a single day where I’ve broken 3k so… fingers crossed.

I’m also a little worried I might actually wrap this story up inside another 7k. If that happens I guess I’ll just write a goofy “demons don’t know what birthdays are” scene and find a home for it later. (Is this what writing filler episodes for TV feels like???)

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Hit 50k this morning. 13th year running :toot:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

That's impressive, good job!

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

I was going to write before I started my stream, but then my three year old walked into the room and asked to play, sooooo obviously we spent the next hour or so in the basement fussing with his fishing rod/the erg machine/picking up every dangerous item and being made to put it down instead of writing.

Alas. Maybe I won't do much during this stream and will just get to write (deeply unlikely)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I got roughly 5K and change to go, but considering i wrote nearly 12K in a 24 hour period this week that sounds like absolutely nothing

I'm actually really happy with this draft, it's surprisingly my favorite novel i've worked on so far!