Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Recently decided to sign up for Nanowrimo.

Now, those of you who know me from Thunderdome may be wondering, "loving WHY?!" Well, I had an idea in mind.

That Idea is of a Noir Pulp Detective who was Cryogenically Frozen and woke up to a very different, yet very same, Los Angeles.

The problem I have is in the beginning. How could I have my main character be frozen in freaking LA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

The man called M posted:

Recently decided to sign up for Nanowrimo.

Now, those of you who know me from Thunderdome may be wondering, "loving WHY?!" Well, I had an idea in mind.

That Idea is of a Noir Pulp Detective who was Cryogenically Frozen and woke up to a very different, yet very same, Los Angeles.

The problem I have is in the beginning. How could I have my main character be frozen in freaking LA?

I really love this idea! It's fun, exciting and has a bunch to explore.

Here is a 5 second blurb I came up with.

Anthony Cardock was the cheapest detective on the block. Now, he is the only hope for hIs great-great-great-great grandaughter, who hires him for the biggest case in his life: Find out why he was frozen in time.
Waking up in 20XX Anthony learns that not only did he have a child, but that the more things change, the more things stay the same. New Angeles is still corrupt, but instead of skimming money off the top, its skimming slaves off the wave of migrants.

Facing a $THREAT and $DIRESITUATION Anthony has to make a decision. Abandon a family he hardly knows, or explore a future that quite simply doesn't want him.

Cept, no choice is every easy. Especially when old debts come back to haunt you, even when you've been frozen in time.

You might want to skip the whole setup, and just have him wake up in the future, hella confused and with a surrogate character to "mostly" explain the details.

Edit: Thunderdome is a measure of how quickly you can crank out a well done story. While that is a handy skill to have, and props for those who enter, don't think its the only measure of a writer's skill.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
July is almost upon us, which means Camp NaNoWriMo time.

Anyone else doing this? I've got to write the sequel to my NaNoWriMo 2021 project so I'm in with a goal of 80k words. I do not know if I'm gonna hit it, since July also happens to be the school holidays...

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I'm travelling to Germany to meet my partner's family (and to live there for a couple of months) in the middle of July so I think I'm gonna pass this one and jump back on in... November?

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Kind of. I’m planning to go hard in the second half of the month (work’s not giving me the space right now).

Rooting for you Leng! :toot:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Trying to get my head back in gear for November.

I put my book on Amazon. :3:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BJHPM72R

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

Nettle Soup posted:

Trying to get my head back in gear for November.

I put my book on Amazon. :3:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BJHPM72R

I too am trying to gear up for November. However, probably going to keep it very low-priority since I'm juggling college classes and a part-time job. So! We'll see how that goes.

Your book looks interesting! I'll try to give it a read soon.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
It’s almost Nano season :ohdear:

I’m still trying to decide if I should make a push to finish up book I’m currently working on. Or take a break from it and work on something short and sweet in the same universe, like maybe a reader magnet or prequel. I have no chance at actually winning Nano, but it’s always fun to just write along with a ton of other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
New nano thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4016190