Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

I'm hoping to kick together an urban fantasy romance novel out of an RPG I'm playing with some friends, it's gonna be extremely dumb and I have decided to just have fun with it this year!

https://nanowrimo.org/participants/stark.

Chernobyl Princess fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

The one year I actually completed Nano I had a loose outline, just Beginning, Conflict Introduction, Conflict Resolution. I then did a five minute hand-written pre-write before sitting down, where I did a one sentence description of the previous scene, a description of the scene I wanted to write, how the characters all feel about the scene, how it changes things or doesn't, what function the scene plays in the overall story, and (ideally) how it transitions into the next scene.

It wasn't a hard and fast Rule, but it helped me get excited about previously boring connector scenes in between good bits. It also made those scenes actually better, because I could focus on what mattered in them rather than just noodling around spamming words on a page. Sometimes the scene changed or required another scene in between it and the anticipated next scene, but that was okay. It improved my draft significantly!

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

White Chocolate posted:

Well my hero has become a heroine to stick to the cozy supernatural mystery genre conventions. But I am still making her a professor at the HBCU of magic and wizardry. And figuring out how to do a murder mystery in a small town Louisiana.

I want to read this.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

There are actually some really great brief swordsmanship tutorials on TikTok of all places.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

newts posted:

Probably not a great idea to use NaNo to get the barely-plotted climax of my book finished. I think I’ve actually deleted more words than I’ve written!

In other news, my daughter is in the Young Writers Program (as part of a before-school club) and is crushing her word count goals :love:

That's awesome, I can't wait until my kid is old enough to do things like that!

I've introduced most of my characters and plot setup, now I just have to actually get the plot rolling. I think today the lead dragoness is going to find out that the lead dragon-hunter has a necklace that was stolen from her and is going to put a curse on it/the hunter, the lead dragon is going to get into a fight with his bigoted father and start planning his escape from his horrible cultist family, and the lead vampire is going to try to get the cult family and the local werewolf clan to fight, hopefully to the death.

...it's possible I have too many characters, but it's nano, if they need to be cut they'll be cut later.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

...I had an all day charity event so I wrote 22 words. Met my fundraising goal tho so that's nice. Luckily I was ahead but I'll have to do some more catching up today

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

HIJK posted:

I wrote 500 words two days ago. Then yesterday I was too dizzy to do poo poo so I didn't write.

But today is my day off so I'm going to buckle down.

Hell yeah, get those words on the page!

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

Nettle Soup posted:

Post your muse. My last 2k were written lying on the sofa, with this monstrosity pinning down one arm.

She's helping

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

Passed 25k yesterday and today I'm in a stall. I'm going to try to slam out a couple words this evening, but probably going to just take today as a break from the big Work of it.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

I was going to write before I started my stream, but then my three year old walked into the room and asked to play, sooooo obviously we spent the next hour or so in the basement fussing with his fishing rod/the erg machine/picking up every dangerous item and being made to put it down instead of writing.

Alas. Maybe I won't do much during this stream and will just get to write (deeply unlikely)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

I made it! This is only my second time winning, so I'm pretty psyched. Of course, I've got a whole bunch more novel to write, but I'm hoping that I can keep up the good habits.

Congrats to everyone crossing the finish line!