Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
This is me:

https://nanowrimo.org/participants/bluefooted-booby

I didn’t win last year, but I eventually finished my project. Not sure what I’m going to work on this year—I might not use it to write a full novel, but maybe finish or start something. It’s still fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newts
Oct 10, 2012
I’ll admit that I have no idea what buddies are for (I’m kind of an idiot about the NaNo website). But I’m glad we’re all buddies now :)

newts
Oct 10, 2012
I’m a loose plotter (that sounds like a terrible disease, btw). Mostly because I tend to write mysteries, which require a little bit of foresight and planning to drive the plot forward. Or backward, because I usually start from the resolution (Who done it, why done it) and go back from there. Sometimes my planning is too vague, and that’s when I run into trouble.

I had a debate with myself for a week or so and finally decided to use NaNo to finish up my current project rather than start a new one. I’m stalled on that right now because of my terrible plotting in the last act. I know where my characters are. I know how it needs to end. But I can’t seem to get them from point A to point B, at least logically.

Kaom, your first novel is not trash! Not even close!

newts
Oct 10, 2012

White Chocolate posted:

Well my hero has become a heroine to stick to the cozy supernatural mystery genre conventions. But I am still making her a professor at the HBCU of magic and wizardry. And figuring out how to do a murder mystery in a small town Louisiana.

I think this is a wise choice. And, yeah, it sounds great!

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Okay, so I wrote about 300 words. But, to be fair, I also wrote two exams :rolleyes:

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Probably not a great idea to use NaNo to get the barely-plotted climax of my book finished. I think I’ve actually deleted more words than I’ve written!

In other news, my daughter is in the Young Writers Program (as part of a before-school club) and is crushing her word count goals :love:

newts
Oct 10, 2012
I’m at a truly pathetic 3000 words (that’s total). November just isn’t my month. But, on the plus side, I’ve pushed through on getting something down for each of the scenes I was dreading the most: sex scene, action scene, resolution scene (for the entire novel). So that’s a plus. I feel like the end is in sight!

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Leng posted:

This story was supposed to be a progression fantasy and now it has morphed into something that very much doesn't feel like progression fantasy and isn't magic school fantasy either but the story doesn't feel big enough to qualify as epic fantasy right now so I'm very much feeling like I've screwed up this whole "write to market" thing.

You shouldn’t feel bad about having to go back through later and remove stuff that grew out of control. It’s not fun, but it happens a lot.

Whenever I start writing without a plan, things tend to get dark and twisted way too fast. All of my characters become tortured emotionally. I’ll often go back through and remove a lot of words, turning what’s explicit into something more implicit. I don’t know. It feels a little to me like trying to control that urge to spill your deepest, darkest secrets to everyone you meet. Not every person needs to know that stuff. Not every book needs to do everything.

And now I’ve officially written more on this today than I have on my NaNo project.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
I’m at a truly shameful 5,000 words. Which is what I expected trying to tackle the parts of my book that I’m totally stuck on for NaNo. Next year I might try this pantsing thing.

Congrats to everyone who’s going to finish! And to everyone who accomplished their goals.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
My family finally left me alone for a few hours yesterday, so I’m up to a very pathetic 9,000 words or so. Go me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newts
Oct 10, 2012
It’s almost Nano season :ohdear:

I’m still trying to decide if I should make a push to finish up book I’m currently working on. Or take a break from it and work on something short and sweet in the same universe, like maybe a reader magnet or prequel. I have no chance at actually winning Nano, but it’s always fun to just write along with a ton of other people.