Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://blog.emergentstcg.com/faq/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
How do players acquire new cards?

There are no booster packs in Emergents. Players will be able to acquire exactly the cards they want, but not have to collect thousands of extra cards they either don’t need or don’t want. Players will have the ability to acquire new cards each (day or week) through auctions we run. Additionally, once cards have been auctioned off, players will have the ability to purchase the cards directly from us, or trade for them from other players.

Will cards change mechanically (AKA Nerf or Buff)?

Absolutely not. One of the most important things about existing on the blockchain is the ideas that once the card is minted we’re locking into what that card is. Thus, we can’t change the value or power of the item. What you see, is what you get.

i hope this lasts long enough that they gently caress up and release an absolutely game-annihilating card

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Lolin' at "we'll sell the good cards directly to you in an auction. Also we'll sell them without an auction somehow. We have no details on how any of this will work".

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Picked up two blitz decks yesterday. Had read a lot about the game beforehand. Was skeptical of how wordy the cards were, and how many triggers that carried from cards, meaning a lot of moving invisible parts to keep track of. Played a few matches, and my skepticism was mostly correct. But despite this - kinda small hurdle - it was a cool game. Pretty unique with seemingly tons of depth. And the wordiness and triggers problem will certainly become smaller as I get more familiar with the game/cards.

I don't really care if some other nerds out there make or lose a ton of money hustling cardboard. The game is fun, art is good, and it feels refreshingly different from many other pvp card games. Make the thread.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Since we have the go ahead from mods I’ll start whipping something up, unless someone is already on it. More than happy to take input from anyone too.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Jcam posted:

Since we have the go ahead from mods I’ll start whipping something up, unless someone is already on it. More than happy to take input from anyone too.

I've got like 60% of a thread written. I just haven't finished it up due to holiday delays. I'll see if I can get it out in the next couple days.

(I renamed my account; see the previous page of posts)

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Played CC for the first time instead of Blitz. Game good.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

uncle blog posted:

Picked up two blitz decks yesterday. Had read a lot about the game beforehand. Was skeptical of how wordy the cards were, and how many triggers that carried from cards, meaning a lot of moving invisible parts to keep track of. Played a few matches, and my skepticism was mostly correct.

The original set (Welcome to Rathe) is a lot better about this, and definitely easier to teach. I'm hoping starter deck reprints happen next year (and I have knowledge that LSS is interested in doing so, but is waiting for something I can't talk about yet).

Ira Welcome Decks (read: stupidly basic decks) are being shipped en-masse for LGSes for free, so if you've got one nearby with FaB ask if them if they have any.

The complexity of newer sets is fun for established players, but yeah, it's a pretty hefty hurdle for new people.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Back Alley Borks posted:

I've got like 60% of a thread written. I just haven't finished it up due to holiday delays. I'll see if I can get it out in the next couple days.

(I renamed my account; see the previous page of posts)

Ahh okay, awesome. Glad to hear it, I’d like to have more people to chat with leading up to the ProQuests coming up and we can even put together some SomethingAwful webcam games or something too.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Double posting, but we had some Goon-on-Goon violence on Discord tonight; a classic constructed game between ShaneB and I. Anyone who has been dabbling with the game that wants to play over webcam or anything, hit me up either via PM or on Discord (Buttlord#0217), just let me know who you are so I know!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Jcam posted:

Double posting, but we had some Goon-on-Goon violence on Discord tonight; a classic constructed game between ShaneB and I. Anyone who has been dabbling with the game that wants to play over webcam or anything, hit me up either via PM or on Discord (Buttlord#0217), just let me know who you are so I know!

A great way to play for sure!

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

The dedicated Flesh and Blood thread has been posted, you can find it over here.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
MetaZoo decided they needed to have a reserved list.

https://www.reddit.com/r/metazoogames/comments/sad10s/reserve_list_is_official/

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

yeah, but is the game any good?

lol that one of the comments is saying it's fine, if it becomes a problem they can print cards that are better.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
holy poo poo, 2 sets in and they pull that. How is that game not considered a scam?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Elblanco posted:

holy poo poo, 2 sets in and they pull that. How is that game not considered a scam?

same as NFTs and all that other poo poo: because the people who are into it think they're the suckees and not the suckers.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I cannot fathom anyone making money 'investing' in MetaZoo or FaB at this point. The stickers are already in now, and trying to get more suckers to buy your poo poo at this point is going to be harder. I've never seen anyone playing FaB near me, but at least it's available. MetaZoo is something I've only seen online. If probably but one pack to just like at the ridiculously rear end art and silly rules, but not to play the game.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been a run on the new Digimon game, as a few influencers have said they played it and it was actually good. Maybe it isn't released yet?

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

ahahahahahaha this is not going to end well

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I cannot fathom anyone making money 'investing' in MetaZoo or FaB at this point. The stickers are already in now, and trying to get more suckers to buy your poo poo at this point is going to be harder. I've never seen anyone playing FaB near me, but at least it's available. MetaZoo is something I've only seen online. If probably but one pack to just like at the ridiculously rear end art and silly rules, but not to play the game.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been a run on the new Digimon game, as a few influencers have said they played it and it was actually good. Maybe it isn't released yet?

Digimon had its English release in fall 2020, you can find it at target now too!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Digimon seems fine but it suffers pretty bad from power creep from what I understand and it's made by Bandai who have a history of poorly managing TCGs

There's no money left in FaB. It's arguably dead in the water at this point. Monarch is worthless after its massive pump and withheld inventory, Tales of Aria was a bit above MSRP and plummeted back down at release, the new set looks stupid, and it's becoming harder and harder for paper TCGs to succeed to begin with, especially given Covid.

MZ was always a scam but its peak was probably at or just after FaB's.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

That ChannelFireball has MetaZoo videos boggles my mind and really highlights how rough/weird the Magic ecosystem has gotten, too.

WOTC's made a lot of eyebrow-raising decisions but COVID and especially it just dragging on with no end in sight seems like an extinction-level event for the way these games used to work, and perhaps even the games themselves, sadly.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Ultiville posted:

That ChannelFireball has MetaZoo videos boggles my mind and really highlights how rough/weird the Magic ecosystem has gotten, too.

WOTC's made a lot of eyebrow-raising decisions but COVID and especially it just dragging on with no end in sight seems like an extinction-level event for the way these games used to work, and perhaps even the games themselves, sadly.

SCG is killing their premium articles service and laying off a bunch of writers because no one's paying to read about competitive Magic anymore. It's a bad scene.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

admanb posted:

SCG is killing their premium articles service and laying off a bunch of writers because no one's paying to read about competitive Magic anymore. It's a bad scene.

(I re-read this run-on sentence several times and I'm afraid it sounds like I'm criticizing you. I am not; this is purely directed at WotC.)

I can't imagine why that might be. Could it be the massive focus on Arena with its abusive storefront and this cockamamie Alchemy where it is no longer the place to play actual loving Magic but this Magic-adjacent game like Acclaim's Battlemage, or the naked avarice and the oversaturation of promotional products mostly targeting primarily non-competitive EDH players crowding out a huge amount of the mindshare, or the overpowered cards to drive hype causing negative play experiences coupled with the lumbering ponderous responses to problem cards as though metas develop slowly and covertly like it's 1997, or just the explicit abandonment of the pro scene thereby undermining everyone's ability to sincerely commit to the game as a serious hardcore endeavor at a time worthy of your attention instead of a dumb game for babby, all occurring while Magic is making their most money in the history of loving forever so we know they have the resources to fix these issues but they just loving don't because Papa Hasbro needs to wring every last wretched drop from their player base?

Sell your shitcards, kiddos. Just don't use the money to buy Metazoo. Buy something worthy of your time.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Magnetic North posted:

(I re-read this run-on sentence several times and I'm afraid it sounds like I'm criticizing you. I am not; this is purely directed at WotC.)

I can't imagine why that might be. Could it be the massive focus on Arena with its abusive storefront and this cockamamie Alchemy where it is no longer the place to play actual loving Magic but this Magic-adjacent game like Acclaim's Battlemage, or the naked avarice and the oversaturation of promotional products mostly targeting primarily non-competitive EDH players crowding out a huge amount of the mindshare, or the overpowered cards to drive hype causing negative play experiences coupled with the lumbering ponderous responses to problem cards as though metas develop slowly and covertly like it's 1997, or just the explicit abandonment of the pro scene thereby undermining everyone's ability to sincerely commit to the game as a serious hardcore endeavor at a time worthy of your attention instead of a dumb game for babby, all occurring while Magic is making their most money in the history of loving forever so we know they have the resources to fix these issues but they just loving don't because Papa Hasbro needs to wring every last wretched drop from their player base?

Sell your shitcards, kiddos. Just don't use the money to buy Metazoo. Buy something worthy of your time.

lmao source your quotes

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Toshimo posted:

lmao source your quotes

Sir Markus Rosewater himself.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
I enjoy Arena and Alchemy, but Wizards has clearly left what's left of the professional scene out to die. For people with a lotol of time l, effort, and money invested into it, that must really hurt.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ultiville posted:

I think its just them searching for an MTG replacement.
How many varieties of booster are there now? How many are they going to keep in stock and how many are just going to sit there? And unlike WOTC their margins can't be that high on any of this. Plus the formats which are supposed to be liquid and fast, Standard, has been awful for pro-coverage the last few years. Just play the best card. I don't need to pay CFB or SCG to tell me to play Epiphany, I just need to look at any tournament results (also kept by WOTC, because there's no significant paper events right now)
Metazoo on the other hand is new, different, and they can form it however they wish. And now it has a reserved list, lol.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

LaSquida posted:

I enjoy Arena and Alchemy, but Wizards has clearly left what's left of the professional scene out to die. For people with a lotol of time l, effort, and money invested into it, that must really hurt.

I'm sure Hearthstone has had some decent payouts in the digital space, but as far as paper goes I can't really think of a single TCG in history that's been anything anyone could make an actual career out of.

It looks like the all-time Magic earnings leader is at a million dollars or so, but it drops off heavily and by #20 there's 2-3 years' salary for someone who wants to be able to live in some of the most expensive parts of the US. The whole concept of being a "pro" at these games seems shortsighted at best and I get why WOTC has basically dropped it. In the same vein it's why I think LSS is dumb, to put it bluntly, to think that they can do any different when their prize support so far seems pretty pitiful for the cost in terms of travel and lodging for players.

This excludes all of the really bad decisions they've made thus far regarding the game itself.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

HootTheOwl posted:

I think its just them searching for an MTG replacement.
How many varieties of booster are there now? How many are they going to keep in stock and how many are just going to sit there? And unlike WOTC their margins can't be that high on any of this. Plus the formats which are supposed to be liquid and fast, Standard, has been awful for pro-coverage the last few years. Just play the best card. I don't need to pay CFB or SCG to tell me to play Epiphany, I just need to look at any tournament results (also kept by WOTC, because there's no significant paper events right now)
Metazoo on the other hand is new, different, and they can form it however they wish. And now it has a reserved list, lol.

I own an LGS, I’m with you on MTG’s trajectory being worrying.

But I’m pretty sure when it dies, it won’t be another paper CCG that captures most of that market share.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

triple sulk posted:

It looks like the all-time Magic earnings leader is at a million dollars or so, but it drops off heavily and by #20 there's 2-3 years' salary for someone who wants to be able to live in some of the most expensive parts of the US. The whole concept of being a "pro" at these games seems shortsighted at best and I get why WOTC has basically dropped it.

Much like eSports, the idea is that you supplement your meager cash winnings with sponsorships. So, the "earnings" isn't actually that relevant. (BTW, that's how a lot of competitive sport/game industries work)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ultiville posted:

I own an LGS, I’m with you on MTG’s trajectory being worrying.

But I’m pretty sure when it dies, it won’t be another paper CCG that captures most of that market share.

When it dies, how much of the rest of the industry tanks with it?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Toshimo posted:

Much like eSports, the idea is that you supplement your meager cash winnings with sponsorships. So, the "earnings" isn't actually that relevant. (BTW, that's how a lot of competitive sport/game industries work)

I get that, and I could be wrong, but I can't imagine as many sponsors for something like a TCG. It's not like PC games where you have a million different companies making computer parts or accessories. With paper TCGs you're more or less limited to sleeves and deck boxes, and I don't see Ultra Pro or Dragon Shield needing to fork out a lot of cash because they own the market and people buy their stuff any way due to so few decent options.

If Magic dies I don't think the TCG industry totally goes, but there won't be as much value in anything. Japanese TCGs will probably stick around with their usual niches if only because of theming, at least.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

Toshimo posted:

When it dies, how much of the rest of the industry tanks with it?

Probably virtually all of the local stores on the community-space model, board games and RPGs are on an upswing but they just don’t have the kind of sales volume MTG does. Unclear about what knock-on effects of that are. (And of course WOTC systematically cutting us out and so forth might do that even if MTG carries on.)

Maybe I’m overstating but my own business would definitely be badly hurt by an MTG collapse. And I don’t mean singles which I don’t do a ton with, I just mean sealed product sales.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

triple sulk posted:

I get that, and I could be wrong, but I can't imagine as many sponsors for something like a TCG. It's not like PC games where you have a million different companies making computer parts or accessories. With paper TCGs you're more or less limited to sleeves and deck boxes, and I don't see Ultra Pro or Dragon Shield needing to fork out a lot of cash because they own the market and people buy their stuff any way due to so few decent options.

The sleeve/deckbox/playmat companies do, in fact, shell out a noticeable amount. Almost every pro was associated with some sales site, as well. And that was before digital. Now, the streamers are hawking gaming chairs, VPN, and all the same thing the PC Gamers are doing. Ad revenue from YouTube is also a big factor now. This is basically why CFB Premium had to die. Why ever pay for content when you can get all the same content through streams for free?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Kibler went into some detail about why writing for magic sites was relatively lucrative compared to online ccgs when discussing SCG earlier https://twitter.com/bmkibler/status/1486354160886841345?s=20

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

neaden posted:

Kibler went into some detail about why writing for magic sites was relatively lucrative compared to online ccgs when discussing SCG earlier https://twitter.com/bmkibler/status/1486354160886841345?s=20

Yeah, all of this really tracks with what I've seen over the years.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

Yeah and part of the issue I think is that MTG’s singles market is pretty unusual and enabled heavily by the history of the game allowing it to support multiple formats plus a pure collectibility/speculation market for old garbage cards. It’s just not possible to jump start that situation IMO, which is one reason new similar games will struggle to fill the space even if MTG collapses.

Doubly so, of course, because at this point the instant that happens comparisons to Magic will stop having the same kind of value. All these new games benefit from the dream of being on the Black Lotus ground floor this time, and if Magic goes it’ll damage that a lot.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

triple sulk posted:

If Magic dies I don't think the TCG industry totally goes, but there won't be as much value in anything. Japanese TCGs will probably stick around with their usual niches if only because of theming, at least.

I spent a year hitting up events in the tri-state area with a group of friends, anyone that qualified for day 2 typically received an offer of $250-800 bucks (depending on size of event and placement) to wear a branded shirt just in case they got a spotlight match.

I can definitely see someone that hit up as many events as possible, and was known to consistently hit high ranking, having enough clout to work out better standing deals.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I spent a year hitting up events in the tri-state area with a group of friends, anyone that qualified for day 2 typically received an offer of $250-800 bucks (depending on size of event and placement) to wear a branded shirt just in case they got a spotlight match.

I can definitely see someone that hit up as many events as possible, and was known to consistently hit high ranking, having enough clout to work out better standing deals.

The very top players maybe, but unless things have changed a whole lot since I was running qualifiers in the mid-20teens, not really up to anything like a sustainable level. And of course that sort of ad hoc sponsorship doesn't really help at all if you want to be an actual pro, because you can't reasonably do something as a job if all your payouts are contingent on having a good tournament in a game where there's a pretty serious soft cap on win rates at high level events of ~70%.

I know a fair number of very successful Magic folks and virtually none of them got by without a day job even when there was the pro player's club that guaranteed qualification and sometimes even appearance fees for pro tours. Lots had day jobs that were related to the game, writing being the most popular but card dealing, etc, not that uncommon, but it's never been anything like pro athletes where your whole job is practicing for events and then competing. Maybe for a few hall of fame players during the time they were totally focused on the game, but we're talking about probably single digit numbers of people at any given time. The only time it seems to have been feasible was the MPL era, and of course there were big problems with that too, both presumably in the cost to WOTC and in that it was such an elite group that the aspirational value was quite low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ultiville posted:

The only time it seems to have been feasible was the MPL era, and of course there were big problems with that too, both presumably in the cost to WOTC and in that it was such an elite group that the aspirational value was quite low.

Going pro wasn't the only aspiration. Simply getting recognized as 'good enough' is aspirational.
There was probably three formative events in my MTG career that hooked me for life:
1 Finally winning an FNM with my brew.
2 Missing 4th at states because my teammate got his deck stolen.
3 And for the last one there was a time where SCG would take articles from anyone. I got told my deck sucked but the article was well written. For the longest time that was my only MTG dream.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 27, 2022