Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

HootTheOwl posted:

Going pro wasn't the only aspiration. Simply getting recognized as 'good enough' is aspirational.
There was probably three formative events in my MTG career that hooked me for life:
1 Finally winning an FNM with my brew.
2 Missing 4th at states because my teammate got his deck stolen.
3 And for the last one there was a time where SCG would take articles from anyone. I got told my deck sucked but the article was well written. For the longest time that was my only MTG dream.

Oh sure, and they definitely could have supplemented the MPL era with other aspirational stuff that was more achievable, I'm just noting that as a way to ensure you get a certain number of actual pros, one of the down sides was that the small number meant that particular part of the system wasn't very aspirational.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

There were enough people who wanted to be one to support paywalled strategy articles and $100-200 Goyfs. It was by any metric a dumb aspiration, but there were plenty of 18-25 year old ubernerds who wanted to play Magic for a living badly enough to support the ecosystem.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

There were enough people who wanted to be one to support paywalled strategy articles and $100-200 Goyfs. It was by any metric a dumb aspiration, but there were plenty of 18-25 year old ubernerds who wanted to play Magic for a living badly enough to support the ecosystem.

Sure, and my point is that the MPL era damaged that because, compared to the prior systems, it was vastly less clear how one might get to the highest levels of play.

Though that said, paywalled strategy articles and expensive cards aren't solely (or likely even primarily) motivated by that kind of aspiration. It certainly contributes, but there are plenty of ludicrously expensive cards that are commander staples, and people are certainly willing to pay subscription fees just to be FNM heroes or (even more importantly) just read about the game they're passionate about. I think it's a mistake to say there's a single cause of any of this, it's just that several of these factors are in crisis at the same time between COVID, prioritization of Arena, and so forth.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I paid for Premium when I was super into Standard on Arena, but it didn’t matter how competitive I wanted to be because I wasn’t going to buy cards from them.

Pepper Crab
Mar 2, 2013

It's wild to hear how Flesh and Blood looks in the rest of the country, because the scene in my area is very active. I was hesitant to get into any new card game and didn't even really learn about it until the initial "investor" thing had pretty much run its course, but it seems like there are a lot of Magic players who genuinely enjoy the game and are looking for competitive in-person tournaments, and it's been worth our time to carry it even if it dies out and we end up holding the bag on some of the product.

As far the effect a downturn in Magic would have on our store, it would be noticeable, but honestly, it's Pokemon that's keeping our lights on. Before we opened, I bought a bunch of standard draft boosters being cleared out by another local store at $72/box and wondered "why can't they sell this stuff?" Well, it turns out that, yeah, standard Magic stuff is just a little harder to move these days. Collector's boosters are particularly rotten. Most of our Magic revenue comes from the supplemental sets.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
If you just like the cards for the cool art magic has been pretty cool recently

If you want the coolest art Gate Ruler exists and isn’t being cancelled like everyone thought was happening

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So where I'm at there's no flesh and blood secene at all. I'm not even seeing it on shelves.
But then I read the post above and watch the Professor's video and they say it's there just out of frame.

so what's the deal?

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

So where I'm at there's no flesh and blood secene at all. I'm not even seeing it on shelves.
But then I read the post above and watch the Professor's video and they say it's there just out of frame.

so what's the deal?

Part of it is that, at least last time I checked, it’s in pretty limited distribution in the US. I’d have gotten some in if I could just to try, but none of my current distributors carried it last I looked, and my store is too small to make adding one for a single CCG without an extant local base worth it.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Anecdotally I've found that certain parts of the US are much more amenable to holding events and selling products of TCGs not in the big three. You seem to hear a lot about communities for games in Texas, but the upper midwest in general seems to be that way too. There are exceptions (major metros where you might have enough shops to find one or two places), but a lot of those places are still pretty heavy on Magic. That's why you'll occasionally hear the game is doing great when there's barely any new content that isn't from the same dozen individuals.

It's a bad time all around for paper TCGs given Covid and anything that isn't Magic will become harder and harder to find games for. You can go look at the Yu-Gi-Oh thread as a good example of the power of digital games, which with the release of Master Duel has picked up a ton of steam relative to how slow it was previously, with a few pages of posts alone in the week it's been out. Konami seems to want to make a move in that direction with support for competitive play. Games are moving in that direction now whether people like it or not, and I don't think FAB survives all that much longer aside from being some mostly dead also-ran, which it kind of already is. The 2020 collector bubble popped somewhat hard and people will probably be pretty apprehensive moving forward.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

thinking about backing sorcery for like $1000…

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

HootTheOwl posted:

so what's the deal?

recent scuttlebutt is that FaB has reached market penetration of about 1/3rd of all LGSs in the US.

That's a lot for a game competing in a space with several 20+ year old properties but that still means there are a LOT of areas where nobody's heard of the game yet.

the first Pro Tour next month should also be a really big, fun milestone for the game!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Just heard they're introducing white border?

https://fabtcg.com/articles/fab-20/

Jeez, the original Magic sets were a little before my time, but this sure feels like a time warp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Magnetic North posted:

Just heard they're introducing white border?

https://fabtcg.com/articles/fab-20/

Jeez, the original Magic sets were a little before my time, but this sure feels like a time warp.

Its definitely intentional, and the creator/owner of LSS was quoted as saying that he hates white bordered cards, and that the idea is that the first printing of a card will have the nicest and coolest appearances and then every future time they reprint it, the less appealing to collectors it will get. Making those "rush-to-market" collectors happy while also reprinting cards for playability