Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I’m surprised it took this long for people to realize that Rudy is manipulating an unregulated market. He’s been doing this since the beginning. Hell he compared himself to the Wolf of Wall Street and clearly quit his own Wall Street job because of regulations. I’m constantly baffled when I see discussions from other FLGS owners thinking Rudy is helping them in any way.

The biggest giveaway for his manipulation for me was MTG Iconic Masters a few years ago. It came out in December and content creators put a ton of effort into talking the set down and devaluing it. Suddenly a bunch of game stores are panicking because they’re on the hook for some big bills for an unpopular Magic set.

Well don’t worry because uncle Rudy to the rescue. He puts out a video offering to buy an unlimited number of Iconic Masters boxes for $5 over cost to bail out these poor game stores. Wow what a buddy! He saved Christmas!

A year later iconic masters spiked like crazy and it turns out it was a great set with plenty of value the whole time.

He did something similar with Kaladesh inventions cards, called them trash for a year and whoops lol they’re actually super valuable who knew? His scams are so obvious but people eat it up anyway.
lol did that actually happen

it's a shame mt gox died they should just have switched their scams back to magic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

DalaranJ posted:

I’ve come to believe that basically all new TCGs are being manipulated as pump and dump schemes, and even more established TCGs (here I mean Pokémon, as I haven’t heard anything regarding YuGiOh,
The official printer was running off counterfeits.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Years ago. Idk anything about the ygo market though.

Oh yeah that all ended in 200...8? I just find all these scams pale in comparison to literally just printing more rare cards than you're meant to.

It's like the mcdonald's monopoly thing where the hardass top security lockdown bloke they got in to stop employees from stealing the winning tickets just stole the winning tickets. Who needs market manipulation when you own the presses?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

ohhyeah posted:

Bizarre and hilarious that this guy just has a big stack of plain cardboard boxes in his house. At least with something like gold or funko pops you can actually see the thing you own.
cruelty squad 2 gonna have a card game

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

quote:

The theory is, as long as you stay a patron and love to buy Flesh and blood,
Is that some kind of threat? Do not let your devotion become weak.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
tinfoil hat: if the game collapses due to blatant cheating destroying any hope of a competitive scene, the people who've already made their money and are facing diminishing returns on the next round of product get to abandon it in disgust and start a new ccg, deflecting any criticism onto the pro players whose fault it is that the bag holders lost everything.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Codeacious posted:

Point to a single competitive 1v1 LCG that's still in print.

I love the hell out of my complete Netrunner collection, but it just didn't work as a long-term model. Not even Keyforge survived.
Keyforge died in a uniquely funny way though, it's not quite the same.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
They lost the algorithm which generates new decks.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
They literally can't print new product, even for existing sets.

A combination of ransomware and having fired the guy who built it the first time, allegedly? The alternative explanation is that it was getting harder to work with over time, taking longer to generate valid decks, or something. I haven't checked lately and I don't think they've said what actually happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
How do players acquire new cards?

There are no booster packs in Emergents. Players will be able to acquire exactly the cards they want, but not have to collect thousands of extra cards they either don’t need or don’t want. Players will have the ability to acquire new cards each (day or week) through auctions we run. Additionally, once cards have been auctioned off, players will have the ability to purchase the cards directly from us, or trade for them from other players.

Will cards change mechanically (AKA Nerf or Buff)?

Absolutely not. One of the most important things about existing on the blockchain is the ideas that once the card is minted we’re locking into what that card is. Thus, we can’t change the value or power of the item. What you see, is what you get.

i hope this lasts long enough that they gently caress up and release an absolutely game-annihilating card