Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Toshimo posted:

(notably SaffronOlive, who for some idiot poo poo reason is a pet darling in the MtG community, despite being both scummy and insufferable).

Then why is he your avatar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Balon posted:

My friends at The Spike Feeders have a channel doing well produced FAB gameplay. Plus today you get to see my ugly mug!

https://youtu.be/fCF_UvdTUdo

Aspiring spike should have named his chat sooner

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The asthetic appears to be "Early Pokemon, but with thirty extra doodads"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

LaSquida posted:

Wait, can you really not use that card...

While wearing pants?

Like I'm going to look up wat either Beastie or Contracted means.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

It's not figuratively a pokemon knock-off.
It's a literal pokemon knock-off too!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Toshimo posted:

Nah. The game's more YGO than Pokemon.

The video they posted showed the production company with their fake Bulbasaurs

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Drowning Rabbit posted:

So I just got lost in this discussion here. What is this initialism for OP program?

Organized Play, while it can cover anything from your local store holding a game night to the most cutthroat protour, generally it is used only to refer to events sanctioned by the company itself.
Usually the company puts out promos. Magic sort of cheated with their DCI system which made just about everything a form of OP.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Marketing your game as filling to void in big prize wizard chess that magic left when it abandoned the pro tour and then not dropping the hammer on your champ straight up cheating is a bad look imo.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
800 dollars for Rudy sasquatch!
:rubby:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Magnetic North posted:

Isn't that what killed TSR? When those initial print runs go unsold, that's when you have a problem. And storing them somewhere is not free.

It's the future, you can print sets on demand

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Finster Dexter posted:

How did Keyforge die? I assumed it was typical pandemic shenanigans.
https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/keyforge-fantasy-flight-games-hiatus/
They broke their ability to make decks.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'd like a split too.
Because there's fast more tcg finance scams and I don't want the FaB players to think we're picking on them because theirs happened to be the one backed by the tcg finance scam guy.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://blog.emergentstcg.com/faq/

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ultiville posted:

That ChannelFireball has MetaZoo videos boggles my mind and really highlights how rough/weird the Magic ecosystem has gotten, too.

I think its just them searching for an MTG replacement.
How many varieties of booster are there now? How many are they going to keep in stock and how many are just going to sit there? And unlike WOTC their margins can't be that high on any of this. Plus the formats which are supposed to be liquid and fast, Standard, has been awful for pro-coverage the last few years. Just play the best card. I don't need to pay CFB or SCG to tell me to play Epiphany, I just need to look at any tournament results (also kept by WOTC, because there's no significant paper events right now)
Metazoo on the other hand is new, different, and they can form it however they wish. And now it has a reserved list, lol.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ultiville posted:

The only time it seems to have been feasible was the MPL era, and of course there were big problems with that too, both presumably in the cost to WOTC and in that it was such an elite group that the aspirational value was quite low.

Going pro wasn't the only aspiration. Simply getting recognized as 'good enough' is aspirational.
There was probably three formative events in my MTG career that hooked me for life:
1 Finally winning an FNM with my brew.
2 Missing 4th at states because my teammate got his deck stolen.
3 And for the last one there was a time where SCG would take articles from anyone. I got told my deck sucked but the article was well written. For the longest time that was my only MTG dream.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So where I'm at there's no flesh and blood secene at all. I'm not even seeing it on shelves.
But then I read the post above and watch the Professor's video and they say it's there just out of frame.

so what's the deal?