Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I collect some magic cards. I'm sure a lot of other people do too, but here I'm talking specifically about collecting not just deckbuilding.

There's lots of ways to collect cards. Some people try to get complete sets, in foil or nonfoils. Some people go for the hard-to-do Global sets, where you get a single card in every possible available printing. Chris Wilson, CEO of Grinding Gear Games (Path of Exile) is well known for having a global set of Tundras.

For me, it's Forests. I play the deck Lands in legacy, and that deck plays a single basic forest. This kind of lead me in to collecting lots of different ones!

Here's some of the interesting ones I have. They go from most unique (left) to most "common" (right). I have more than this but I didnt want to bother getting everything out.

Starting with the most common, I have some signed full arts, Arena promos, dark art misprints, and a slight miscut from a precon deck.

Next I have some basics that were in the Portal: Three Kingdoms preconstructed decks, but only in Chinese. They have bamboo!

This starts to get in to the cooler stuff. Two Beta, one misaligned but not quite a miscut. A miscut Odyssey foil, FBB, and Ice Age snow covered

These ones get to the harder to find in good condition. A summer forest B and a guru.

And, finally, my jewel. This is from a test print of 10th edition. It's entirely unique, and features one of the test forgery protection stamps in the bottom right. It has a few siblings, each with its own stamp, but it is actually one of a kind. It even features on the Librarities site.

If you're interested in looking at cool rare cards, that "MTG Librarities" site I mentioned is a great place - https://www.magiclibrarities.net/

It has lots of neat stuff.

So who out there has some cool magic collections?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I’m actually just getting back into magic after like 20 years, I sold off most of my rares long ago but I picked up a big box of commons/in commons from my parents’ house a few weeks ago. There’s some cool stuff in there, I’ll take some pics soon

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008
I have a mox emerald AMA

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Empty Pockets posted:

I have a mox emerald AMA

Can I have it?

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Empty Pockets posted:

I have a mox emerald AMA

How often to you bust it out at parties to impress your guests?

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Can I have it?

You can have this photo!

and a bonus since I have it open:

TotalHell posted:

How often to you bust it out at parties to impress your guests?

It doesn’t even impress people I specifically invite over to talk about and trade MtG cards :(

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
It took four years of aggressive trading and dealing at events to finally complete my full graded power nine set last year:

I'm currently in the process of collecting a complete set of Alpha. I'm up to 168 out of 295 cards. I won't spam the whole binder, but here's the two complete facing pages I have done:

It's for playing, but my cube is also primarily for collecting purposes. It's a 600 card powered vintage cube that is completely foiled out (minus a few cards that were never printed in foil), special printings where available (ZEN Expeditions, KLD Inventions, etc).

Those are the biggest parts of the collection, but I've got a pile of decks for various formats, my main trade binder, land binders with playsets of all the various dual land cycles that see play competitively, all of the SDCC Exclusive and HasCon Promo sets, etc. It would be an enormous post if I wanted to show off the lot.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Empty Pockets posted:

You can have this photo!

It doesn’t even impress people I specifically invite over to talk about and trade MtG cards :(

BaronVonVaderham posted:

It took four years of aggressive trading and dealing at events to finally complete my full graded power nine set last year:

I'm currently in the process of collecting a complete set of Alpha. I'm up to 168 out of 295 cards. I won't spam the whole binder, but here's the two complete facing pages I have done:

It's for playing, but my cube is also primarily for collecting purposes. It's a 600 card powered vintage cube that is completely foiled out (minus a few cards that were never printed in foil), special printings where available (ZEN Expeditions, KLD Inventions, etc).

Those are the biggest parts of the collection, but I've got a pile of decks for various formats, my main trade binder, land binders with playsets of all the various dual land cycles that see play competitively, all of the SDCC Exclusive and HasCon Promo sets, etc. It would be an enormous post if I wanted to show off the lot.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
lovely picture of two cards I have handy to my desk:

I've got some beat to hell Beta duals, a Karakas and a Pendrell Vale somewhere. Serra's Sanctum as well. I don't think I have a Gaea's Cradle, unfortunately. We used to play with them them on the concrete unsleeved back in highschool in the early 00's because lol. Also most of the enemy fetches. Still trying to find most of my old collection, it's all boxed up in the garage. I really need to get out there as most of them are chilling in shoeboxes unsleeved.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

loving hell, I hope you've got those insured. That's very loving cool.

Empty Pockets posted:

You can have this photo!

I really like your storage unit - is that an old punch or index card thing? I don't think I've ever seen one with a lockable rollerdoor before.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

DumbparameciuM posted:

loving hell, I hope you've got those insured. That's very loving cool.

Yup, got a separate policy for my whole collection. Even if it were within my homeowner's insurance limits they're notorious for saying, "Oh we only cover this much per category of property."

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

An uncle died and left behind a MONUMENTAL collection. Do ya’ll have advice for piecing it together?

Is typing it all into a website the best course of action to start?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

ThePopeOfFun posted:

An uncle died and left behind a MONUMENTAL collection. Do ya’ll have advice for piecing it together?

It is a gently caress ton of work, but there are maybe some shortcuts you can take. One site I like, https://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=viz You can sort by set release date, so the oldest (Alpha) will be at the top. click on a set, it shows you the most valuable cards and a price. Keep in mind for really old stuff sometimes prices are more super rough estimates. An alpha black lotus https://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=viz&s=LEA it says $35k but it could be much more, or less depending on condition etc. At least you can have a visual price guide for whats valuable.

This url might also be helpful, you might have a lot of white border cards and this is a handy guide to figure out whats what.

https://help.tcgplayer.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025635234-How-do-I-identify-card-sets-

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Scryfall.com can show you pictures of cards so you can identify the edition for cards with multiple printings. TCGPlayer can show you market prices for most cards, though rarer old cards might not have many listings or relevant prices. Sealed packs/decks/etc can be appraised individually. Apps like DelverLens can help with mass identifications but aren't terribly accurate at identifying specific editions. If you can identify the sets involved, you can use things like the Dawnglare visualizer to see what's valuable at a glance.

A lot depends on the kind of collection it was. If it was someone just buying cards over time, particularly more recent cards, it'll be easier to identify and price check them. If it was older, rarer, international, graded, or other less common kinds of collections, it'll require more work or someone with the knowledge to appraise it in person.

You can also take pictures and posts in threads like this or the general MTG thread to get a general idea of what era/general quality the collection would be, and what the more valuable things you could look for.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
When I was 19 (1997) and working in a comic/trading card store I stumbled across dozens of boxes of unlimited edition MtG cards in one of those “bulk import mostly junk” stores. They had no idea what they were and were selling them for $50.

I brought a whole bunch, split the packs and made serious money. Like, drowning in it money.

This is my MtG story. Thank you for listening.

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I’ve done pretty well using the tcgplayer app to scan cards, it’ll get you there 90% but some individual tweaking might be necessary when it identifies a slightly different version of a card.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Yup, got a separate policy for my whole collection. Even if it were within my homeowner's insurance limits they're notorious for saying, "Oh we only cover this much per category of property."

Please tell me more about your mtg insurance experience

DumbparameciuM posted:

I really like your storage unit - is that an old punch or index card thing? I don't think I've ever seen one with a lockable rollerdoor before.

I think it was an old accounting data storage cabinet. Some of the drawers came with very small ledger cards - I can try to dig a few up if you’re interested. I wish I could have found a library card catalog but these drawers are sized just right for toploaders placed sideways so it’s not all bad.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Empty Pockets posted:

Please tell me more about your mtg insurance experience

I use CIS. It's pretty simple, they only require you to schedule any individual items worth over $25k (even my lotus doesn't crack that limit yet), but I keep a meticulous inventory anyway.

It's like 600 bucks for the year and I'm covered for almost $110k. You can opt to have your coverage amount increase automatically each month to keep up with expected appreciation. They even break down what is covered where: full collection is covered here, at a bank/safe deposit, or at a "Collectible Exhibition", including full coverage from burglary and theft. Just over half is covered in shipping or when traveling (except in checked baggage, which is kind of lovely, since it means any time I go to any event all of my poo poo needs to take up my entire carry-on).

It feels like flushing money down the toilet, but let's hope it stays that way. It took many years of collecting (most of which I was really struggling financially, so I wasn't just buying things, I was competing and trading hard), so that display case of graded slabs means a lot to me. Losing all of that to a random fire or break-in would be devastating, and not just financially.

EDIT: Protip for managing your inventory -- Take pictures of your trades. Once you seal the deal, just ask to take one second to record the trade for inventory later; I've never had anyone complain about it. Just line up the two sides of the trade in two rows and snap a photo. Then, after I get home, I go through my camera roll from oldest to newest and add what's in the top row of each image and delete what's in the bottom row (that way if I later traded something I only acquired in an earlier trade everything still comes out correctly by doing it chronologically). Same goes for whenever I dumped things to dealers, for big dumps I just recorded video of dealing out the stack of cards I got rid of instead of trying to take still shots.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 14, 2021

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I use CIS. It's pretty simple, they only require you to schedule any individual items worth over $25k (even my lotus doesn't crack that limit yet), but I keep a meticulous inventory anyway.

It's like 600 bucks for the year and I'm covered for almost $110k. You can opt to have your coverage amount increase automatically each month to keep up with expected appreciation. They even break down what is covered where: full collection is covered here, at a bank/safe deposit, or at a "Collectible Exhibition", including full coverage from burglary and theft. Just over half is covered in shipping or when traveling (except in checked baggage, which is kind of lovely, since it means any time I go to any event all of my poo poo needs to take up my entire carry-on).

It feels like flushing money down the toilet, but let's hope it stays that way. It took many years of collecting (most of which I was really struggling financially, so I wasn't just buying things, I was competing and trading hard), so that display case of graded slabs means a lot to me. Losing all of that to a random fire or break-in would be devastating, and not just financially.

EDIT: Protip for managing your inventory -- Take pictures of your trades. Once you seal the deal, just ask to take one second to record the trade for inventory later; I've never had anyone complain about it. Just line up the two sides of the trade in two rows and snap a photo. Then, after I get home, I go through my camera roll from oldest to newest and add what's in the top row of each image and delete what's in the bottom row (that way if I later traded something I only acquired in an earlier trade everything still comes out correctly by doing it chronologically). Same goes for whenever I dumped things to dealers, for big dumps I just recorded video of dealing out the stack of cards I got rid of instead of trying to take still shots.

This is great info - thanks! I’ve been using echomtg for an inventory and the 5% thats worth something might be 50-60k on a good day, but the total is just over 100 these days and I’ve been going through some similar feelings.

Great collection btw, and congrats! I wish I would have gotten a tabernacle and a few others back in the day, now it’s starting to feel like I won’t be able to make it a priority again for some years, if ever.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I sold out of my magic collection last November. I hadn’t played since before covid, and it had been about 4 months of lovely times before that because my local store’s playgroup had rotated to where the good ones had gone off to college and the lovely ones didn’t.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Same here. My stuff isn't quite on that scale but if I'm going to bring a $20,000 deck to play a card game I'm not going to risk that on a spill (so to speak).

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
I have this hanging at my desk. It's a new set, but these module lands from the Forgotten Realms set are dope as hell.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

givepatajob posted:

I have this hanging at my desk. It's a new set, but these module lands from the Forgotten Realms set are dope as hell.

Why did you choose that layout? Were they ordered in some way? Looks nice, just curious!

e; Oh, it's card rarity->number

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, those alt arts are absolutely top shelf, some of the best regular set ones they've ever done.

I should do up something similar for mine and my godzilla alt arts. Where did the frame come from? It looks nice.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
The order is like you say. Rarity > Alphabetical.

The frame is just something I found on Amazon. This one...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KD0AHK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

I had considered doing something similar with the player's manual alt critters, but my madness hasn't hit that point yet. I'm not too deep into M:TG but if they continue to make D&D adjacent sets, I'm all in. Now that 40K/Commander crossover....

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Empty Pockets posted:

You can have this photo!

That storage system is much more exciting to me than anything in it. Takes me back to the good old days at the library!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

givepatajob posted:

The order is like you say. Rarity > Alphabetical.

The frame is just something I found on Amazon. This one...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KD0AHK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

I had considered doing something similar with the player's manual alt critters, but my madness hasn't hit that point yet. I'm not too deep into M:TG but if they continue to make D&D adjacent sets, I'm all in. Now that 40K/Commander crossover....
thanks! definitely wouldn't buy it from amazon though, if anyone buys it, order it direct from BCW since they're over half off that price(and have a discount for quantities of 5 or 25 even). You'll have to wait a bit(february 2022) due to the ongoing supply chain crisis so if it's not a priority I'd wait rather than buy the overpriced ones
https://www.bcwsupplies.com/9-card-screwdown-holder-black-border

BCW has tons of good quality supplies for card stuff, I got most of my boxes, sleeves and pages from them right before The Dark Times Where Penny Sleeves Are Way More Than A Penny began

anyways I have some cards too I guess. I'll dig out my old stuff from when I was a kid later, but since I got back into mtg last year I went hard in on ikoria and got a ton of them shiny godzillas and triomes. I was going to sell the triomes but it was recommended I hang onto them and boy am I happy I did that now, this poo poo is skyrocketing in price lately. got way too many bio-quartz space godzillas and gigans though, and not a single foil biollante to finish my collection sadly

also opened a bunch of japanese war of the spark and got decently lucky on the foil anime planeswalker front:

I have also collected a few complete sets. I'm working on a complete set of each Un-set; Unglued, Unstable, and Unhinged, including alternate cards like the Unstable variants. Some of them are a huge pain in the rear end to get, so my Unstable set is complete barring a handful of alts, my Unhinged set is complete, and I've been working on completing my Unglued set, I think I'm about halfway on that front. I also have a complete set of Japanese War of the Spark including each anime alt-art planeswalker. I keep all these in my two binders I've had forever, apparently the one with Force of Will on the cover is really valuable these days, but gently caress it, it's mine!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 17, 2021

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I was trying for full sets for a while (and completed a couple) but wizards started doing all of the alt art variants and poo poo and just killed my motivation to keep up with it. If I could get the brain wasps to agree on one particular variant to be the "emblematic" variant, or if I could ignore extended art versions or something, maybe I'd be able to get back to it, but I haven't yet.

That reminds me Invictus I keep meaning to dig through the stuff I have and see what I can sell you, my collection is just a little difficult to access at the moment, since it's a towering stack of supermonster boxes buried behind furniture in a storage room right now.

I don't have anything nearly as valuable as some of you, but I do have a cool misprint.

The most valuable cards I own are a revised Tundra in mediocre condition, and a NM masterpiece Sol Ring that I cracked from the very last pack in a box of Kaladesh I had bought. That was a fun moment.

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008

That is pretty cool, I thought it was just a bad photo at first.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Yeah it's wild looking at it in person, makes me think I forgot my glasses somehow.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nighthand posted:

I was trying for full sets for a while (and completed a couple) but wizards started doing all of the alt art variants and poo poo and just killed my motivation to keep up with it. If I could get the brain wasps to agree on one particular variant to be the "emblematic" variant, or if I could ignore extended art versions or something, maybe I'd be able to get back to it, but I haven't yet.

That reminds me Invictus I keep meaning to dig through the stuff I have and see what I can sell you, my collection is just a little difficult to access at the moment, since it's a towering stack of supermonster boxes buried behind furniture in a storage room right now.

I don't have anything nearly as valuable as some of you, but I do have a cool misprint.

The most valuable cards I own are a revised Tundra in mediocre condition, and a NM masterpiece Sol Ring that I cracked from the very last pack in a box of Kaladesh I had bought. That was a fun moment.
full sets are a huge pain to put together especially for older stuff and ESPECIALLY for Un-sets. I have not been able to find a reliable source for the alt arts/texts from unhinged outside of people trying to get wayyyy too much for each(specifically the rare ones like the green one or the cryptic cryptic commands), and my Unglued set completion progression has been absolutely glacial, tempted to just buy a complete set and sell the incomplete one I have instead with how slow it's going, just to be done with it.

that misprint is rad. he must be getting targeted by teferi, because he's phasing out. :v:

imo just ignore alt arts if you want to make a set. I go for the alt arts as well, but gently caress'em if you're not interested in them, it's not like there's a specific rule to collecting a set.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Unglued is one of the few full sets I do have put together (along with, like, fallen empires lol), and I have 75-80% of Unstable, but I don't have much of Unhinged. Mostly because a friend of mine had bought a full set of Unglued just to have, years ago, and didn't want it anymore.

The biggest problem with the alt arts is that I AM interested in them, but I don't have the budget to go whole-hog into it. Or, well, I do, but I have better things to do with that budget. Maybe some day I'll get back into it.

Really I tend to fall in and out of buying/enjoying magic every three or so years. I'm just on a downswing for now.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
I mean, CardKingdom sells complete sets, but availability decreases and cost increases once you're past a couple of standard rotations in the past.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Of course you can just outright buy sets, but sometimes it's fun to try and build the whole thing yourself, you know? Thrill of the hunt etc etc. Pretty sure wotc itself sells sealed complete sets too, I've seen a variety of the sort on ebay before in these white boxes with iirc the set name, date, and a barcode or something and nothing else on it.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Those are the MTGO redemption sets and are what CardKingdom sells, yeah. Basically if you play MTGO and you assemble a full set digitally you can cash it out for real cards and they send you one of those boxes. Since sites like CardKingdom run MTGO trading bots they can easily assemble a set and redeem it for resale (while redemption is still available, anyway).

But yeah I'm a degenerate that likes to crack packs and fill in the gaps from there. At least, I enjoyed it more back when I had local friends to run Sealed or Draft with, but they all moved away and I'm too lazy to find a new crew at the LGS.

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008
Ok so member when I said I thought my best collectin’ years were behind me? Well…

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
That's exactly where I started transitioning from being focused on playing competitively to hardcore collecting.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I made this a few years ago and I keep it on my shelf

I had my main box stolen from a LGS years ago :(

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 26, 2021

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib
I got these in a few months ago. I've always been more of a Pokemon guy, but I figure this makes the cut. I'm probably going to have to sell it eventually, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts :allears:

Complete set of the alternate art Planeswalkers from War of the Spark, all in Pre-Release printing.

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008

Lead By Example posted:

Complete set of the alternate art Planeswalkers from War of the Spark, all in Pre-Release printing.

:vince:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Empty Pockets posted:

Ok so member when I said I thought my best collectin’ years were behind me? Well…

Show us the beat-to-poo poo played-on-asphalt back you coward :sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008

Magnetic North posted:

Show us the beat-to-poo poo played-on-asphalt back you coward :sickos:

It’s definitely not minty, I ended up negotiating with the seller based on HP condition due to a small bend and a spot where a grain of sand or something indented pretty far but I’m satisfied overall.