Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
78 collecting can be viewed two ways, I feel:
- an insane thing to do considering many/most record shops consider them unsellable and thus won't even buy or stock them, considering their almost universally shredded condition and audio quality, etc.
- a kind of wise thing to do (if you're gonna collect anything, which is clearly not wise to begin with) due to their near-worthless status even among most record collectors, with a handful of exceptions (certain recordings have a wider "master collectro" appeal, or there's occasional crusty R. Crumb type motherfucker who seriously collects them), so you're kind of ahead of a curve, like guys who bought up Moogs in the 80s when digital synths came out. or if the curve never rises, at least you're paying pennies for a lot of it

edit: neither theory is meant in a condescending way, I appreciate quixotic undertakings and collect 45s myself with an absurdly uneconomic twist: I don't buy, or at least not much, "Old" 45s (say pre-90s)... I mean if I came across Salt - Hung Up or something I'd buy it but generally I focus on recent release music I like in genres better known for their 60s-70s collectibility

Deep Glove Bruno fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
How many shelf-feet was 3000 78s!? Come to think of it how many shelf feet is 700? Four figure vinyl collections in my experience are like "whole wall" type situations, and dudes with more than ~3k LPs are seriously considering loadbearing/foundation concerns in their storage solutions

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
And yeah, the purest collector is somebody making their own personal library/archive with no big intention to grip-n-flip/turn it into a living, but storage and "mental storage" concerns turn people into dealers pretty often when they have the physical or mental need to purge a big collection, and then the money side of it kinda rears its head. I try to avoid being a record gremlin as much as I can and disregard the discogs collection estimate etc. so I feel ya.