Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Been creeping around estate sales lately? The big convention? Thrift stores, flea markets, or antique malls? Made a big craigslist score or just got that ebay package in the mail? Post it in here and let us see what you got!

I know I said I was slowing down on collecting old video games, but since I'm making a small Kirby game display at the moment I decided to snag a complete Japanese copy of Kirby and the Amazing Mirror from everyone's favorite ebay retro game dealer. Box looks neat, it was at a comprable price to loose US copies, and I haven't played it before so there's that too. And to justify the high shipping costs I got the boxed copy of Kururin Paradise as well. It's the Japan only sequel to a fun puzzle game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Most recently I just got this limited print by Katsuya Terada for the anniversary of Matango (aka Attack of The Mushroom People). One of my favorite early 60s Japanese horror movies more in a Twilight Zone kind of vibe.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

just got a copy of dungeon degenerates and some of the $7 posters on the goblinko site.

ive been on a quest to find the platonic ideal of the perfect dungeon crawler board game and this one is pretty drat fun so far. not quite the game im searching for but definitely close

im at the airport but here’s one of the posters i got (the art for this game is super fun):

spooky ghost
Feb 11, 2020

Lipstick Apathy
I've got a new knife/lightsaber!

That, and a ring from one of my favorite jewelers - Blue Bayer.

..Oh, and I closed on my first house.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

jarofpiss posted:

just got a copy of dungeon degenerates and some of the $7 posters on the goblinko site.

ive been on a quest to find the platonic ideal of the perfect dungeon crawler board game and this one is pretty drat fun so far. not quite the game im searching for but definitely close

im at the airport but here’s one of the posters i got (the art for this game is super fun):

Would love to hear what else you've been trying, I love Dungeon Quest and Sorcerer's Cave as my ideals, even though they aren't particularly crunchy. They both generate fun unscripted narratives.

I just ordered House on the Borderlands from this smaller publisher, https://store.cave-evil.com/products/house-on-the-borderland-folio

It's a solo game based on this early cosmic horror book I read in college. I have Cave Evil and this cool game about being a mushroom shaman from them I think, so pretty psyched for this one!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

This isn't my most recent acquisition but it's still recent. I picked up a Japanese copy of Bomberman Hero for N64 because the English version had a bunch of changes made to it to make it unnecessarily harder, such as not saving the permanent health upgrades you get when you turn the console off. I love this game and felt like owning the JP version would be fun, and it wasn't too expensive either!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

spooky ghost posted:

..Oh, and I closed on my first house.

Please do not collect houses, they're holes in the ground you pour money into.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

Would love to hear what else you've been trying, I love Dungeon Quest and Sorcerer's Cave as my ideals, even though they aren't particularly crunchy. They both generate fun unscripted narratives.

I just ordered House on the Borderlands from this smaller publisher, https://store.cave-evil.com/products/house-on-the-borderland-folio

It's a solo game based on this early cosmic horror book I read in college. I have Cave Evil and this cool game about being a mushroom shaman from them I think, so pretty psyched for this one!

That looks pretty sick! I think I’ll order it too.

Basically right now I’m in a Warhammer Quest phase. Shadows of Brimstone pointed me to it and it’s got a great basic mechanism for a dungeon crawler. I have a couple copies of Heroquest and all that, and a bunch of contemporary manufacture dungeon crawlers.

The way I see it a dungeon crawler is about killing monsters, accumulating treasure, and then improving your character between crawls. I want a mechanism for that with my games.

I love old fantasy art so I’ll buy stuff just for the art, even if I dont wind up playing them.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

jarofpiss posted:

That looks pretty sick! I think I’ll order it too.

Basically right now I’m in a Warhammer Quest phase. Shadows of Brimstone pointed me to it and it’s got a great basic mechanism for a dungeon crawler. I have a couple copies of Heroquest and all that, and a bunch of contemporary manufacture dungeon crawlers.

The way I see it a dungeon crawler is about killing monsters, accumulating treasure, and then improving your character between crawls. I want a mechanism for that with my games.

I love old fantasy art so I’ll buy stuff just for the art, even if I dont wind up playing them.

Warhammer Quest is really good. Shadows of Brimstone borrows a ton from it, though the theme is of course a bit different.

Improving between runs to make it more of a campaign thing is a bit rarer--of course there's Descent, with the Road to Legend campaign stuff, but that requires an overlord player which isn't the same feeling--one vs many compared to cooperative. I didn't really like Descent 2 as much as the first one, for what it's worth.

An old kinda cheesy one called Dragonstrike is actually pretty decent, lots of cool monsters and treasures and stuff, though it's not strictly dungeons, since you have an outside, city, castle and cave board. It's definitely geared for baby's first D&D, but very easy to add houserules. Also needs a dungeon master player, though.

Advanced Heroquest I never found too good ultimately, it has some interesting ideas but the regular HQ is a classic for a reason.

I'm sure you've already heard of Gloomhaven, it's very solid mechanically and has a ton of content. It's probably fine solo, but playing it every other Saturday for a year with two friends was some of the most fun I've had with tabletop that wasn't actual role-playing.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Max Toy Co Halloween Zazzan and Sadora!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I got Xenosaga III to complete the trilogy. Probably should start the first one soon lol

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I just picked up these two books about the history of RPGs/D&D, since I'm a big old-school D&D nerd:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I've been thinking of getting into letterpress blocks again as they satisfy my like of tiny stuff and cool art/graphic design things to stare at. Here's one of two I nabbed off of ebay:

Also I still like enamel pins and still like pokemon, and thank god people part out the collection boxes:

poo poo's hard to find in a physical store because of the scalpers.

Jows
May 8, 2002

My grandmother recently passed away. While going through her house, I came across three boxes in the basement labeled "[Uncle]'s Comics". My uncle died at age 18 in 1971. I found a trove of over 400 Silver Age comics. Since I don't have any desire to collect comic books this turned into quite the windfall for my sister and I.

Nothing ridiculous like Spider-Man #1, but there are some nice valuable books in this collection.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jows posted:

My grandmother recently passed away. While going through her house, I came across three boxes in the basement labeled "[Uncle]'s Comics". My uncle died at age 18 in 1971. I found a trove of over 400 Silver Age comics. Since I don't have any desire to collect comic books this turned into quite the windfall for my sister and I.

Nothing ridiculous like Spider-Man #1, but there are some nice valuable books in this collection.

:popeye::popeye::popeye:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

If you wouldn't mind or have the time I would love to see at least a list of the issues that are in there. Just the ones shown in that picture are probably worth literally over $100,000.

Condolences on your grandma's passing.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Pablo Nergigante posted:

If you wouldn't mind or have the time I would love to see at least a list of the issues that are in there. Just the ones shown in that picture are probably worth literally over $100,000.

Condolences on your grandma's passing.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fh6d9tc6-dejV0JreGgTX9VEGhuCcgaYRydRQc7S9c0/edit?usp=sharing

The 6 in that pic are probably going to be ~$10k. I've gotten some gradings back, average so far is around 6. Some are better, some are worse. The FF49 in that pic is a 7.5. They were very well preserved for 50 years in a dry crawlspace, but were also well read by my dad and his brother as teenagers.

And thanks - she was 93 and lived a long and hard life. She outlived her entire family, husband, and sons. But she was a wonderful woman with a great personality and sense of humor all the way to the end. She lived for over a year with stage 4 lung cancer when the doctors only gave her 6 months.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

My condolences as well. This post comes under similar circumstances for me. Dad passed away almost a year ago now and Mom made the decision to move into a retirement home, so we're cleaning up the whole house. My brother found a box with some old tapes in it and I decided that I wanted to take a few for myself. They all appear to be unused or are just unopened:

Nothing amazing, nothing expensive, but I'm fascinated by old media formats. It's not even a case of these being foreign to me since I'm in my early 30s and know what cassettes and VHSes are from using them. I just think they're neat, especially since media formats are so fleeting these days, and everything is just digital or disc now. That said, even I had never seen a VHS-C before, and that's what spurred me into taking these few. I might honestly start collecting some more old media formats just for fun, because, like I said, they're just kinda neat to me.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Hmm, my dad died when I was young but I have a whole box of his silver age comics. It was mostly western, random outer space comics, Archie and stuff, with some superhero ones. I should probably see if there's anything good in there. Is there a guide in BSS or somewhere for pricing comics? I wouldn't expect people to give me prices for free, but I don't even know where to start.

Jows
May 8, 2002

I used gocollect.com to generate a FMV range for mine, but they very recently changed their site and don't give prices for free anymore.

You can make an account on HA.com and look at actual sale prices to get an idea.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:sickos:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Lots of cool stuff in here, keep it up peeps!

So far so good on the letterpress block collection, the helmsman in the storm is the newest one; it just arrived today. Gonna have to take a break and wait for some interesting ones to get posted on ebay or get my rear end to an antique mall. Plenty of ones in the "eh that's cool" category, but I'm sticking to buying the "holy poo poo that's awesome, I gotta have it!" ones only. This will not be another collection I overdo it on dammit!

Still had a whoopsie and wound up with a couple of larger blocks in the "eh cool" classification, but oh well they can hang out on my desk as a reminder to not do that again.

MechaOctobot
Jan 3, 2014
My slippery slope into sofubi collecting continues.

Today a whole heap of stuff showed up at once.

My two main October acquisitions Konatsu Jack-o-lantern Negora and 100% Soft dumpster fire candy corn. Also received an Eleking Negora and a mini Negora.

Cool picture showing the glow in the dark pigments on the Halloween Negora

And a bonus sofubi adjacent thing. These guys were a Tokidoki and Sonic thing. Some cute kaiju

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Thanks goons for giving me more places to look

for $150 plus shipping.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 17, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.
I love the idea of a collecting forum here. I find real 'collectors' to be a very fun bunch of people to interact with. Doesn't usually matter what they collect, as long as what they collect is something they are passionate about, and enjoy. Figured I might toss in a post and see if my current 'collecting' is of any enterainment value around here.

corgski posted:

Please do not collect houses, they're holes in the ground you pour money into.

This speaks to me, deep in my soul. As I stare at the enormous and absurdly expensive new deck that my proper collection is being sold away to replace. Because it rotted and started to fall down. And gaze at the wet patch in my ceiling that I think I have sorted out well enough with blackjack and vycor to last the winter at least. Because my roof started to rot.

Houses like to rot.

At one time I collected guns and did things, but then I got married and her job is more important than mine so I take care of the house and kids. In case anyone cares I collected, and established provenance on, custom modified competition target pistols from the late 1800's to the 1950's, if there is interest in that I can maybe go into detail on my remaining collection between feeding the baby and keeping the toddler from killing herself by stacking things up and jumping off of them.

These days I try to buy what I think they may need at garage sales and thrift shops before Facebook convinces my wife that she needs to spend way too much money on something the 3 year old will destroy within a week.

With no funds for guns I was buying axes at these garage sales, but it's pretty easy to get too many axes and have no place to put them.

Fig. 1 too many axes

My "collecting" could be summed up with a picture like this:

Go out garage saling, come back with an antique nautical pin hammer, some stuff for organizing the garage, a $5 stack of pans, some files (to fix axes with), and kitchen knives (which I've gone overboard on and now anyone who visits gets some rehabilitated henckels or messermeisters, the wusthofs are mine!)

Then one day my 3 year old daughter had a necklace put on her at a garage sale. I dutifully gave them the quarter they asked for. This had happened a few times, she's cute, manipulative, and enjoys shiny things. This time was a bit different. When we got home and I took the necklace off I realized that it was a bit odd, it seemed nicer than the other costume stuff she was getting. After a stop off at the local pawn shop I found out it was because the damned thing was 14k gold and they would give me $200 for it. So this was the summer I became a hopeless jewelry and precious metal junkie. Fortunately my next door neighbor sells on etsy, so I've been able to hand her my excess stuff to sell and we split the proceeds.

As the garage sale season has ended I piled up some of the stuff I am "collecting". Or hoarding? I don't know. My current intent is to keep putting it into this rad old chest I found at the thrift shop over the years until you open it up and it looks like a pirate chest out of an old movie. Mostly though when it comes to "collecting" it's at least 75% "the hunt" that I enjoy.

Here's an example of my most recent jewelry haul (on top of buying clothes for that toddler who won't stop growing like a weed!):

The blue necklace is Lapis and 14k Gold, the little bracelet is sterling silver and chatoyant beads of something. I'm still learning about rocks/gems, that stuff is deeep. The black necklace is blue goldstone and a rose quartz pendant, strung together with sterling. The rings are all fake. But the total investment was $8, so my grandmother is going to get to enjoy a nice new necklace and the rest will go to my neighbor to hopefully sell on etsy.

Over the course of the summer stuff piled up that isn't really that salable on etsy, or is just too hard to get a good price for. Here's this summer's gold (mostly 14k, some 10k, about $30 spent in this whole pile)

All of it came from garage sales and thrift shops. Turns out there is little bits of gold all over the place. I had no idea. It's such a fun treasure hunt!

Here's the silver (just shy of $50 spent on it, 3.3lbs of the stuff) :

This is mostly sterling, bit of it is coin silver. Some of it is super neat historically too. Found this cup for $.50 in an old barn:

There's the rest of that day's haul, sadly no camera in there. Although it would probably be trashed anyway, lots of mold.

In any case there's a name on the cup, which is sterling silver. I had no idea but it used to be (still is?) a tradition to give babies silver. The name on this cup is very distinctive: Gordon Wesley Fawcett III which as near as I can tell was the name of only one person. The fun thing there is that his family was Fawcett in Fawcett Publications. Which among other things, published comics, Captain Marvel being the most enduring character I believe.

How it ended up migrating across the country to rest in a barn in rural Montana I have no idea. I've thoroughly enjoyed trying to clean the dang thing up and researching the name.

This baby silver thing though, I can really understand why people get into that collecting niche. That little monkey you see peeking up is this:

Took me a while to figure it out. Turns out its a baby knife. It was part of a 3 piece set with a baby fork and spoon. All animal themed, made of silver.

In any case, I think this subforum may be populated by folks who hit garage sales and thrift stores. If you do, and you want a good time, put a magnifying glass in your pocket and look really close at some of the "costume" jewelry. Particularly digging through little dishes of pins and such. It's amazing how much of it is actual gold. There's some kind of little pirate thrill in finding gold, I highly recommend it.

Sixgun Strumpet fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 4, 2021

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

In any case, I think this subforum may be populated by folks who hit garage sales and thrift stores. If you do, and you want a good time, put a magnifying glass in your pocket and look really close at some of the "costume" jewelry. Particularly digging through little dishes of pins and such. It's amazing how much of it is actual gold. There's some kind of little pirate thrill in finding gold, I highly recommend it.

Oh yeah lots of people don't want to take the time to sort through mom or grandma's old jewelry to look for gold or silver marks so they toss it in with the costume jewelry for a song. Some old costume jewelry is worth money on it's own like the real old rhinestones of the 1920s and 30s and some of the older quality names. Unfortunately I got to be on the receiving end of all the costume jewelry from three different women and because they were working in the 1970s all if it is office lady jewelry from that era and not worth too much. Most Avon and Sarah Coventry stuff ain't worth poo poo unless it is some exceptional piece and 90% of what I got was the outdated common pieces that no one gives a poo poo about.

For a while the big chunky dyed wooden bead necklaces did come back into fashion as some sort of boho chic thing, dunno if it still holds true. Brightly colored enamel flower pins of the 60s or so were also selling for a decent amount last I looked. Your etsy friend probably knows more about what's hot currently in the jewelry market. Can you tell I got big into collecting costume jewelry as a kid/teen?

Goodwill specifically around here has learned to look for precious metal hallmarks so they can mark it up in the front case. But once I did score a set of 4 or 6 spoons that were solid silver and not plated that were missed on the shelf of random flatware. Felt great to get all that for like $3. But yeah since most of the costume jewelry I see these days is really junky junk I tend to stick to things that are sterling and I might want to wear myself. Last thing I got from a goodwill was this cute sloth necklace and I was shocked that it was only like $10 or $15 because he is a small but solid chunk of metal. Usually they mark poo poo up to $20 at least.

TL;DR Always always check the hall marks on your female relative's jewelry before selling. Hell check the flatware/dishware too in case they sprung for something better than silverplate. Also I too like this collecting forum, hope it gains some more traction.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

I love the idea of a collecting forum here. I find real 'collectors' to be a very fun bunch of people to interact with. Doesn't usually matter what they collect, as long as what they collect is something they are passionate about, and enjoy. Figured I might toss in a post and see if my current 'collecting' is of any enterainment value around here.

This speaks to me, deep in my soul. As I stare at the enormous and absurdly expensive new deck that my proper collection is being sold away to replace. Because it rotted and started to fall down. And gaze at the wet patch in my ceiling that I think I have sorted out well enough with blackjack and vycor to last the winter at least. Because my roof started to rot.

Houses like to rot.

At one time I collected guns and did things, but then I got married and her job is more important than mine so I take care of the house and kids. In case anyone cares I collected, and established provenance on, custom modified competition target pistols from the late 1800's to the 1950's, if there is interest in that I can maybe go into detail on my remaining collection between feeding the baby and keeping the toddler from killing herself by stacking things up and jumping off of them.

These days I try to buy what I think they may need at garage sales and thrift shops before Facebook convinces my wife that she needs to spend way too much money on something the 3 year old will destroy within a week.

With no funds for guns I was buying axes at these garage sales, but it's pretty easy to get too many axes and have no place to put them.

Fig. 1 too many axes

My "collecting" could be summed up with a picture like this:

Go out garage saling, come back with an antique nautical pin hammer, some stuff for organizing the garage, a $5 stack of pans, some files (to fix axes with), and kitchen knives (which I've gone overboard on and now anyone who visits gets some rehabilitated henckels or messermeisters, the wusthofs are mine!)

Then one day my 3 year old daughter had a necklace put on her at a garage sale. I dutifully gave them the quarter they asked for. This had happened a few times, she's cute, manipulative, and enjoys shiny things. This time was a bit different. When we got home and I took the necklace off I realized that it was a bit odd, it seemed nicer than the other costume stuff she was getting. After a stop off at the local pawn shop I found out it was because the damned thing was 14k gold and they would give me $200 for it. So this was the summer I became a hopeless jewelry and precious metal junkie. Fortunately my next door neighbor sells on etsy, so I've been able to hand her my excess stuff to sell and we split the proceeds.

As the garage sale season has ended I piled up some of the stuff I am "collecting". Or hoarding? I don't know. My current intent is to keep putting it into this rad old chest I found at the thrift shop over the years until you open it up and it looks like a pirate chest out of an old movie. Mostly though when it comes to "collecting" it's at least 75% "the hunt" that I enjoy.

Here's an example of my most recent jewelry haul (on top of buying clothes for that toddler who won't stop growing like a weed!):

The blue necklace is Lapis and 14k Gold, the little bracelet is sterling silver and chatoyant beads of something. I'm still learning about rocks/gems, that stuff is deeep. The black necklace is blue goldstone and a rose quartz pendant, strung together with sterling. The rings are all fake. But the total investment was $8, so my grandmother is going to get to enjoy a nice new necklace and the rest will go to my neighbor to hopefully sell on etsy.

Over the course of the summer stuff piled up that isn't really that salable on etsy, or is just too hard to get a good price for. Here's this summer's gold (mostly 14k, some 10k, about $30 spent in this whole pile)

All of it came from garage sales and thrift shops. Turns out there is little bits of gold all over the place. I had no idea. It's such a fun treasure hunt!

Here's the silver (just shy of $50 spent on it, 3.3lbs of the stuff) :

This is mostly sterling, bit of it is coin silver. Some of it is super neat historically too. Found this cup for $.50 in an old barn:

There's the rest of that day's haul, sadly no camera in there. Although it would probably be trashed anyway, lots of mold.

In any case there's a name on the cup, which is sterling silver. I had no idea but it used to be (still is?) a tradition to give babies silver. The name on this cup is very distinctive: Gordon Wesley Fawcett III which as near as I can tell was the name of only one person. The fun thing there is that his family was Fawcett in Fawcett Publications. Which among other things, published comics, Captain Marvel being the most enduring character I believe.

How it ended up migrating across the country to rest in a barn in rural Montana I have no idea. I've thoroughly enjoyed trying to clean the dang thing up and researching the name.

This baby silver thing though, I can really understand why people get into that collecting niche. That little monkey you see peeking up is this:

Took me a while to figure it out. Turns out its a baby knife. It was part of a 3 piece set with a baby fork and spoon. All animal themed, made of silver.

Interesting post thank you so much.

I always looked for platinum and you must know about that right? I always thought I would find some and people would mistake the PLAT for plated

But I never did

I found counterfeit platinum once lol. Back when I used to go to thrift stores when I first started making jewelry I was able to get grungy old Sterling silver chains, polish them up and use the silver but unfortunately everywhere retail is totally knowledgeable. Goodwill for example is putting their jewelry online, they've got people looking at it and know what they have. At least somewhat.

I covet your little lapis lazuli beads they'd make lovely grapes. :)

Btw the chatoyant beads look like man made cat's eye which is valueless. Killer hauls tho, absolutely!!
The lapis necklace looks straight out of Gumps catalog; the clasp alone is gonna be like 50 bucks at least to replace wholesale if it's 14k

Spinz fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 5, 2021

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 17, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.
A day or two of thrift shopping:

Some of it is pretty cool. The red necklace appears to be coral set in silver. A variety of other silver bits and bobs in there, but all of that stuff will be going on etsy.

This really cool silver bracelet will go into the hoard, as will the 14k bracelet. Not hugely valuable, but still that pirate thrill of GOLD!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I found a fairly priced facebook listing for an Umi no Tamagotchi!

They are notoriously difficult to keep alive so I'm waiting for a break from work to play it but I'm pretty excited. It's the last of the "vintages" (90s releases) that I'm interested in owning, aside from the Yasashii which only shows up for sale rarely and takes some saving up for.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
A few things I've gotten recently that I think are cool:

Nirvana's Nevermind on CD, both sealed with hype stickers covering the babydick. Just like I remember it in the stores in the 90s.

A Florida Blockbuster's new release copy of Mortal Kombat on VHS. I'd like to know the fines paid on this one!

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 17, 2009

Found a couple old wood marquetry panels at the thrift shop:

Looks like some of the inlay is tortoise shell:

There's some real age to these things too:

Anyone recognize the outfits?

This kind of thing is way outside my wheelhouse, but the clear age and quality fascinate me. I'd love to sort out their origin.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

got a pile of old paperbacks and a couple of old arkham house books (ignore the board game set up in the background):

i have this frazetta print hanging in my office

totally dope corben cover

1st ed

bunch of various sword and sorcery vintage paperbacks

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

This kind of thing is way outside my wheelhouse, but the clear age and quality fascinate me. I'd love to sort out their origin.

these are very cool. i always wanted to try my hand at marquetry before my workshop burned down. maybe if i build another shop i'll get a chance

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

That’s really neat

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 17, 2009

Today was pretty fun.

Bought this (crate and all) for a fiver:

The milk crate has me a little torn, I feel like it's kind of stealing because I think someone else stole it? I don't know, but I do know that I love them, they are so dang handy.

Anyway, there are 6 hoodies on top, those are going to the local in-patient psych unit. They often get kids who don't have clothes and mental healthcare is so forgotten those kids don't even get any of the Christmas presents donated to the children's hospital. So I try to grab stuff that they can use. Technically I'm not donating, they don't have a system for it, they just get put into the "lost and found" box, which can then be raided to cloth the kids.

Underneath them is stuff. Not sure what the enamel brass thing is, seems to be some kind of dish from israel. The brown rolled up bag was something I just tossed into the basket without even looking inside. The thing about this thrift shop is that its last stop for stuff for a chain of local thrift shops. So anything that doesn't sell just goes to the dump. Consequently it's an..experience. You just go in and grab stuff, toss it in your basket. In the end they eyeball your pile of loot and say; "6 bux". Doesn't much matter whats in your pile. Occasionally something really good may bring a few extra dollars, but for the most part everyone not leaving the place with multiple shopping carts only parts with a $10 bill to exit the store.

The contents of the brown thing, when I got home. Sadly all plate, no sterling. Still a pretty decent haul. My dad hasn't been able to work since he lost his job at a chemical plant due to NAFTA relocating it. Between bi-polar depression and weight issues it's been a big struggle for a long time. Selling stuff on ebay has been a huge thing for his self worth. So I am really pleased to get this stuff because he can sell it on ebay later. A fair amount of the random stuff I buy goes to him to clean up and sell online.

Also snagged a pair of sterling coffee / souvenir spoons. At least I think they are sterling. The one from wyoming is marked from holland with dutch proofs on it. The egyptian one is completely devoid of markings, but it sure seems like silver. The awesome pawn shop whamadyne x-ray machine should tell us. If it is silver I think it's going into the permanent hoard, it's just too cool.

The knives are pretty great too. The top one is the main thing I have been fitting out my knife block with; Wusthof. Love those dang things. They can take a bit of effort to rehab but man alive are they awesome. A 10" wusthof chef's that I found at the salvation army got me into fixing good kitchen knives and I have to say I love the thing so much if it ever breaks I'm going to cry, then cry again when I have to pay all the money for a new one.

The bottom is a carbon steel dexter, I think a butcher's knife. One of the other carbon steel knives is an ecko, can't find markings on the others. The cleaver is marked from an importer that worked in NY in the 60's-70's. I can't find details on who they had making their knives in germany, but it is a quality knife, and I didn't have a cleaver before so I'm jazzed about that. Not quite as happy as I am about the wusthof though.

Is this...the kind of thing this forum is for? I mean, I'm having fun with this stuff, but as far as "collecting" goes the only thing here I am really collecting is silver for a pirate hoard. Should there be a; "What trash did you haul home today?" thread?

edit: somehow I had only low rez pictures, fixed that. Also the remaining stuff I didn't mention in there are as follows: A silly hat for my brother. A rad big old glass mixing bowl, and a pair of glass milk baby bottles for storing breast milk for the kiddo who takes up most of my time and assists me in my thrift shopping.

Sixgun Strumpet fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 20, 2021

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 17, 2009

jarofpiss posted:

got a pile of old paperbacks and a couple of old arkham house books (ignore the board game set up in the background):

i have this frazetta print hanging in my office

totally dope corben cover

1st ed

bunch of various sword and sorcery vintage paperbacks

That's awesome.

I must admit, I thoroughly enjoyed the Barsoom books. There was just something so endearing about how silly they were.

They prompted me to go read Tarzan, which was a bit, uh. Racist. Until Son of Tarzan. That book. I mean. The plot line is that the son of Tarzan (who of course was initially raised in luxury in England) ends up accidentally lost in Africa and grows up raised by the apes. Who name him Killer, because he likes to murder black people. He befriends a super racist bull elephant, because he himself is super racist. And basically the rest of the book I read is just racist son of tarzan and racist elephant straight up murdering black people. And not just like the men, no, they gleefully murder entire villages. I think the elephant was racist because some of the villagers killed his family, but I can't recall why son of Tarzan wanted to kill them all. Basically it's just racist murder porn.

Spinz posted:

Interesting post thank you so much.

I always looked for platinum and you must know about that right? I always thought I would find some and people would mistake the PLAT for plated

But I never did

I found counterfeit platinum once lol. Back when I used to go to thrift stores when I first started making jewelry I was able to get grungy old Sterling silver chains, polish them up and use the silver but unfortunately everywhere retail is totally knowledgeable. Goodwill for example is putting their jewelry online, they've got people looking at it and know what they have. At least somewhat.

I covet your little lapis lazuli beads they'd make lovely grapes. :)

Btw the chatoyant beads look like man made cat's eye which is valueless. Killer hauls tho, absolutely!!
The lapis necklace looks straight out of Gumps catalog; the clasp alone is gonna be like 50 bucks at least to replace wholesale if it's 14k

No platinum yet. I do know about it though. Prior to this summer the only jewelry I knew anything about was platinum because that was what my wife wanted her wedding ring made from. She has an essential tremor and wanted a super hardy ring designed to protect some gems (white sapphires, because diamonds are kind of silly expensive and dubious ethically to boot).

As to the counterfeit, thats been funny. I've found a fair bit of stuff marked 925 that isn't. One thing I noticed is that if it is cast with 925 in it, as opposed to having 925 stamped in it, pretty good indication it's fake.

The lapis necklace is going to Grandmother for Christmas, she's likely going to love it.

That silver bracelet went to my Mom, she adored it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Is this...the kind of thing this forum is for? I mean, I'm having fun with this stuff, but as far as "collecting" goes the only thing here I am really collecting is silver for a pirate hoard. Should there be a; "What trash did you haul home today?" thread?

This is the right thread for sure. Cool haul!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

So, first of all, you can't tell where it's from based on what it illustrates; consider the amount of Western-made Chinoiserie and Japonisme.

That said, the original images are very probably English. You can tell because the boy farmer is wearing a smock, which is classic English-farmer wear that people were sentimental about. And I'm betting these are strongly influenced by the Victorian illustrator Kate Greenaway, who loved that kind of bonnet in particular; she drew English scenes of children, often set in an imagined late 18th-century early 19th-century ruralness.

Kate Greenaway girl

Alamy has mislabeled this Kate Greenaway print of a boy farmer in a smock. A girl that age would never be wearing a skirt that short.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Thrifting poo poo like this is top level. Reminds me of the time I found a genuine leopard fur coat at the thrift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 17, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So, first of all, you can't tell where it's from based on what it illustrates; consider the amount of Western-made Chinoiserie and Japonisme.

That said, the original images are very probably English. You can tell because the boy farmer is wearing a smock, which is classic English-farmer wear that people were sentimental about. And I'm betting these are strongly influenced by the Victorian illustrator Kate Greenaway, who loved that kind of bonnet in particular; she drew English scenes of children, often set in an imagined late 18th-century early 19th-century ruralness.

Kate Greenaway girl

Alamy has mislabeled this Kate Greenaway print of a boy farmer in a smock. A girl that age would never be wearing a skirt that short.

Wow, fantastic, thank you so much!

The fun thing about this kind of stuff buying is that the "collection" is adding little tidbits of information. Looking at Greenaway's work has been interesting.

kreeningsons posted:

Thrifting poo poo like this is top level. Reminds me of the time I found a genuine leopard fur coat at the thrift.

It's a hoot. But dang, a leopard fur coat? What kind of condition was it in? About all I know regarding furs is from buying a mink/fox coat for my wife for getting married in Jackson Hole outside in February. Found a consignment store that had a ton of them. They had some crazy stuff in there, like ocelot and snow leopard coats. It all kind of weirded me out, but my wife loved the coat, which served well as a wedding dress under those big elk antler arches in the middle of town.

I think though that avoiding clothing is going to be something I continue to do, outside of what I garb my children and myself in, and once in a great while something for my wife. If I don't have an immediate use for it the stuff just takes up space. I will say the one amusing thing about my personal clothing all being from the thrift shop is that my style choices reflect the local styles. Back in the Seattle area I was bedecked in Banana Republic and Brooks Brothers. Here in Montana its Carhart, Filson, Columbia, and Wrangler. An odd mix of work wear and the leavings of tourists who came here to fish and hike. Montana Dad Chic.