Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Wizard Master posted:

I understand that most goons in 2021 would definitely lean to the left side of the political spectrum (and I commend the work the mods have done in weeding out some of the most reactionary/bigoted elements of the forums in recent years), but I thought it would be interesting to discuss some of the more conservative opinions we hold. Hopefully this might lead to some interesting (and hopefully respectful) discussion.

Some of mine include:

-I believe government spending needs to be somewhat limited
-The effect of violent media (especially video games) on children and adolescents can't be understated, and it's concerning how prevalent it is
-Tattoos are often a terrible decision that will lead to nothing but regret later in life

I loving hated the government. But then we voted for that guy who loves ice cream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Katamari Democracy posted:

Do you own a gun?

No. I don't like having the quick kill button on me.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Fruits of the sea posted:

Free speech kinda sucks.

it does not. you can say gently caress you and I can say I hate you for saying that.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Wall Balls posted:

i strongly believe i should have more money

me too buddy

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Nooner posted:

Tom "Touchdown Tom" Brady is a good guy

kissed my son on the mouth too

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Computer viking posted:

Some minority of the people who identify as trans today could also have landed as a nonconforming version of their at-birth gender, and it's not a given that one is better than the other (for that minority). I expect to see some swings in transition rates over the coming decades.

Mind you, I see this sort of like swing voters - a small volatile group between the larger "definitely trans" and "definitely cis but queer" groups.

whoever says they are a girl is a girl.
I'm from the 90s. Everyone is a dude

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Computer viking posted:

Of course - anything else would be incredibly disrespectful.

To clarify - if gender roles in society became way more relaxed than they are today, and more lifestyles and expressions could comfortably fit into both genders, then my guess is that the number of trans people would be slightly lower.

Which seems like nitpicking, and it probably is. The reason I feel it goes I here is mostly that I can see the slippery slope from there and down to "most trans people are just confused", and I worry that I'd inadvertently be helping that stupid argument. Thus I've never mentioned it before, and I probably won't mention it again.

Its just a 90s thing. Everyone is a dude. My first girlfriend's sister was named Goob because her little sister had an ice cube in her mouth and called her goob, instead of dude.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Outpost22 posted:

Pride parades should tone down the overt sexuality in public, think of the kids watching that kind of stuff

they should be proud.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Partycat posted:

All money should be backed by it’s equivalent weight in gold. It’s just common sense.

we literally stopped doing that before we went to the moon, because it didn't make sense

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

super sweet best pal posted:

Two years of dehumanizing military service as a mandatory requirement for college.

yeah, that wasn't enough

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

As the money that everything is compared against, we should be going into debt. When, not if, when we default, it will cause a global depression that will make 2008 look like 1978

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
you know that if it breaks the sidewalk its your problem, right?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

I mean, McCain didn't win and the deficit stayed/grew, so the party correlation may not be there, rather that both sides just decided they like having infinite money so good luck ever seeing a surplus again.

why the gently caress would we ever want a surplus. As long as we pay our loving bills every once in a while, and our money is what everyone compares it to, it will cost us less and less, in the real sense. While we are top dog, inflation is a good thing. At least in the international sense

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bad Purchase posted:

if we can make real inflation happen at a higher rate than we pay interest on our debt, then the dumb idiots who bear the risk of default by holding our bonds are also effectively paying us for the privilege

no, idiot you are going to pay for it. When was the last time that Windows or Amazon paid for the loving crack in your street?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Inflation just makes you pay more for underpants

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bad Purchase posted:

ackshually what you're talking about would be the same whether the federal budget ran a surplus or debt

are stupid? It's ok if you are. I am too

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
you:

Who What Now posted:

Nobody is going to pay for it because America actually does have unlimited money because, and I can't stress this enough, our money is worth however much we say it is and nobody can stop or challenge us

The guy she told you not to worry about :
China

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bad Purchase posted:

my post was responding to the debt vs surplus hand-wringers. being able to sell your debt with near-zero interest rates while inflation erodes the value faster than you pay interest means the debt holders are paying you for the risk they carry. i'm not saying that if you build a border wall and fund it with bond sales that the debt holders have paid for the whole border wall project -- however the government finances it, the funding is obviously still coming from tax payers. i'm just saying that in some circumstances the government choosing to go into debt makes more sense than funding the border wall outright with a balanced budget. unless you can make mexico pay for it.

Edit: the thing that will gently caress over the US government is deflation, not inflation.

Defaltion will gently caress over the american people. Its why Wendy's is looking into using machines.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

Yes, thats the reason fast food has been funnelling money into automation for decades and decades: deflation :hmbol:

I have no word for how much I hate you

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Lascivious Sloth posted:

deflate my balls lol

you like that wouldn't you? you saucy bitch

Who What Now posted:

Dave Thomas' ghost screaming into the dreams of Wendy's CEO "DEFLATION IS COMING YOU FOOL! WE NEED ROBO BURGERS OR WE'LL NEVER SURVIIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE!"

That is I said!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Doesn't China still keep a huge portion of their reserves in dollars?

edit: Yes they do, the largest of any country, currently a bit more than 3 billion at last count.

I know right?
It's everyone's problem if we default.

Economics is loving stupid

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

phasmid posted:

$3 billion? That seems pretty small for a large power like China.

It does doesn't it. Maybe China can see into the future.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Computer viking posted:

The US presidential system is basically 1700s people thinking that you still need a powerful king to make the system work, and trying to work around the worst problems by making the position elected and time limited. Those were absolutely improvements, but it means the US is still stuck with having a single man be way too powerful.

Somewhat ironically, the remaining western monarchies evolved into "maybe giving a single person that much power is bad", which I prefer. Of course, there are republics with entirely symbolic presidents as well, but having a king or queen makes it so obviously stupid to give your single symbolic leader any power that it keeps (most) people from getting silly ideas.

is this why the electoral college is broken?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Pansexual is just Bisexual but harder to explain.

Demisexual isn't real.

whatever. I want to gently caress a demon or a half god

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dubplate Fire posted:

no one actually understands what the deficit is. its economically terrible to have a surplus

I know. I explained it a couple of posts ago

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bad Purchase posted:

Wikipedia says China owns about $1T of federal treasuries. Japan owns about that much as well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_debt_of_the_United_States#/media/File:Composition_of_U.S._Long-Term_Treasury_Debt_2000-2014.svg

Congrats to Belgium on 3rd place.

wow. they should probably make sure our economy works

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Earwicker posted:

i dont believe in wearing sunglasses indoors

it does happen. I have done it before

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Computer viking posted:

If the president is just a figurehead you use to greet foreigners and sporadically trigger deadlock-breaking laws, it doesn't matter that the electoral college is broken.

But no, that's because winner-takes-all voting plus the way low-population states are overrepresented (because every state gets as many EC votes as they have house members + senators) is a system that can easily produce results far away from the nationwide vote split. The obvious choice is to just drop the EC and go directly by nationwide vote counts, but I guess that can't happen without an amendment - and I can't see the republicans voting for that.

yeah, I know. I just wanted to hear someone else say it

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Kids today honest to god don't play outside on their own often enough. It's good exercise and just loving around with other kids with no immediate adult supervision is an important part of socialization. I know people who's 12-year-old children have almost never been out of a view of an adult and it's just maddening.

who the gently caress are you to tell them how to raise their kids?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mr_Companie posted:

You need a haircut
What they did to the Weavers at Ruby Ridge was wrong
People finding identity in words, symbols, or the actions of others, instead with their work, loved ones, and responsibilites is dangerous and only further atomizing our society.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnOVKtBxSv0

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

spouse posted:

Yeah, this is pretty much it. When I was a kid I lived in a small town about an hour and a half outside the city and could bike into town in 10 minutes and go to the library, the movies, multiple parks, stores, restaurants, etc.

Now I live 30 minutes outside city center in another city and beyond having a really close grocery store near me, there's not poo poo to do if you don't have a car.

no you lived in the suburbs you rear end in a top hat. And now you live in the suburbs, you rear end in a top hat

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I grew up in the suburbs, and that definitely limited the range a kid on a bike

That is the weird thing. Live in the city, bike as far as you can. Live in the country, bike as far as you can. Live in the suburbs. You better be back here by dinner!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

OB-GYN Kenobi posted:

Nice try. I don't believe that you, of all people wear underpants.

gildan. Boxer-briefs.
Wait a tick, how come you don't believe I wear underpants

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

You shouldn't get mad when you catch me staring at your rear end if you're wearing yoga pants at Costco. You know what you're doing

look but don't stare rear end in a top hat

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Eventually you hit a barrier like a freeway or a business park or a gated neighborhood. Or there's just more suburb and everybody just loses interest. Importantly there's no woods where you can find a portal to another dimension or anything like that.

and that is why North east Philly rules. Penny Pack Park!

One time I found bones there

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Xenocides posted:

DARPA is awesome and I will not hear otherwise. It is a mad scientist collective researching batshit stuff.

Cyborg insect spies, mechanical elephants, using nuclear bomb detonations to power spacecraft, plant-eating robots, self-repairing buildings, powered exoskeletons, cars for the blind, laser-guided smart bullets, programmable shapeshifting matter, computers that run on biological principles, airships that can carry over a million tons of stuff around the world, brain implants that treat PTSD, and that is just the stuff I remember from reading their stuff a while back.

Basically DARPA has an exception to a lot of federal rules funding and expensing rules, doesn’t do projects that are just a next generation of existing tech, only run high risk/high reward projects, and is exempt from normal federal employee rules so they can hire people and ignore more federal employee management rules as needed. They get over 3 billion dollars a year and there are few restrictions as to what they can do with it.

DARPA is cool and good even if they end up killing us all.

a rogue DARPA scientist sound like a good bond villain

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Today I heard some Ted-x rear end in a top hat use Crossed the Rubicon for trump supporters in congress. I am pretty sure he does not understand what that means

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I don't think stupid people should have the same rights we have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Guns don't kill people
I do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t011CPaeb_8