Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sports are cool and sports memorabilia can be cool. Most of my stuff is sumo or baseball related.

Tegata of 5 of my favorite rikishi

Top row is Takayasu, Hakuho, and Kisenosato
Bottom is Aoiyama and Tochinoshin

Picture Banzuke from July 2021

Hakuho's last yusho in July, his 45th overall and 16th perfect one. For people who don't follow sumo, Hakuho is absolutely the greatest rikishi of all time with a dominance of his sport that is absolutely unparalleled.

Sumo magnets

The caricatures are really fun and capture the spirit of the different guys.

Autographed baseballs

Anchored by the all timers, Hank Aaron (RIP) and Willie Mays

Dae-Ho Lee

My all time favorite Mariner

Ball signed by women from the AAGPBL

There was a group of women who had played in the Girls Professional Baseball League at the 2019 All Star Game festivities doing a meet and greet. They were all really lovely and wonderful to talk to.

Snake in a hat

Before covid I was trying to visit every baseball stadium. This was from Arizona.

Cleveland Cavaliers Court Piece

I'm from Cleveland and the Cavs winning was the best moment in local sports in decades. I got this because it was unique and goofy.

Post your cool sports stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I just bought a signed kiké hernandez ball because I always wanted a signed baseball and it was for charity so yay!

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

CHEERS, LOVE.
THE CAVALYAAAY'S HERE!

I mostly collect graded baseball cards, but as far as other Memorabilia the coolest things I have are:

Signed Mike Trout Bat

Signed Mariano Rivera Gold Ball

And this bad boy:

Some of the cooler more niche Rookies/Pre-Rookies I own of modern dudes:

Albert Pujols

Alex Rodriguez (I was looking for this one FOR YEARS)

Ichiro Suzuki

Bryce Harper

Mike Trout

Shohei Ohtani

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

first and last baseball card i ever bought

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

HulkaMatt posted:

Ichiro Suzuki

I only ever saw old rear end Ichiro in person so its really hard to process him as a young person. That's really cool.

kreeningsons posted:

first and last baseball card i ever bought

If you're only going to have one that's the one to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Crossposting this from the sumo thread to try to give this thread once more chance at life

Shiroc's Guide To Sumo Tegata
Realizing that information about tegata is really, really hard to come by on the English language internet and my own posts about them come up on Google, I wanted to write up everything that I have learned to try to put it all into one place. I've done by best to be accurate but as I am an American who can't read any Japanese and only know a token handful of spoken words, some of this might be wrong.

What is a tegata?
A tegata is the traditional way for a sumo wrestler to write an autograph, which consist of their inked handprint and shikona (ring name) written calligraphically. With variations of material in the past, modern tegata are all on white paper boards called shikishi. They're 9.5" w x 10.75" h with a small gold border around all sides.

Framed tegata of former sekiwake Aoiyama showing his handprint and shikona

The handprint can be in either red or black ink, with red more common historically and black more recently. The name is always written in black ink.

The particular hand a wrestler uses is up to them. I personally have seen mostly right hands. Occasionally I have seen (separate) pieces where a wrestler used different ones. In the case of Tochinoshin, I've only ever seen his left hand, which makes sense because his left hand grip is legendary. Who cares about his right?

Former ozeki Tochinoshin's incredibly inky and splattered tegata

What are those extra stamps?
When a wrestler gets to the top two ranks, they get to put extra stamps on their tegata. These stamps are written using special 'seal script' which has the Japanese characters modified slightly to be more legible when used on hanko stamps.

Former ozeki Takayasu's tegata and an ozeki era tegata from yokozuna Kisenosato

On these ozeki tegata and Tochinoshin's above, you can see how they have similar stamps. The top right stamp simply says 'Ozeki.' The bottom left has their name and I think some other piece of information but my inability to read Japanese means I don't know what. The left side looks similar on Takayasu's and Kisenosato's but the first character is different.

Closeup on Takayasu's and Kisenosato's lower left stamps

On a yokozuna tegata, the upper right stamp changes to one that says 'The most powerful man.' In addition they get an extra stamp above the name that indicates which number yokozuna they are.

Yokozuna Hakuho's tegata, with the extra stamps to indicate he was the 69th yokozuna

Who can make tegata?
Like many things in sumo, tegata are a privilege only for wrestlers in the top two divisions. Interestingly, they are also no longer allowed to make them after retirement. (Not that they presumably couldn't still get the materials to make rogue ones if they really wanted but it would be a bad look.)

Sadly this does mean that there are no above board Hattorizakura tegata in the world.

How can I get a tegata?
While printed tegata, which don't seem to ever show the extra rank stamps, are cheap and easy to get, authentic tegata are a bit harder to get. Wrestlers are strictly not allowed to sell them and tegata are only meant to be given as gifts to their supporters. However, those recipients are allowed to sell them and there is a thriving internet trade. They can be fairly expensive depending on the age, quality and whose tegata they are. Rarity can come into play as well, with a non-yokozuna stamped Hakuho often selling for more than the much more common yokozuna era ones. If you're willing to go the ebay route from sellers in Japan you can get them cheaper. Even at premium prices with authentication (such as it is), most active or recently retired wrestlers I've seen can be gotten for <$300.

Conclusion
Tegata are cool pieces of sumo memorabilia and can be genuinely gorgeous art pieces too. I hope this post gives some more knowledge and appreciation for them. This page has additional information and fun videos showing wrestlers actually making them: https://tachiai.org/2019/04/21/tegata-a-piece-of-sumo-tradition/.