Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I figured we should have a thread of places for people to go and find stuff they are looking for.

Obviously local flea markets and yard sales are great. I have been mostly unimpressed with facebook marketplace, all of it seems overpriced. Occasionally, i see thinks that might be ok deals.

However, I didn't know if people knew that goodwill does auction online.

also suggest local places to go for stuff.

For instance:

Store:Emporium of Retro and Interesting Collectables
What do they sell?: Retro video games, dvds, action figures, and comic books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Clever Betty

I am big on yard sales and rummage sales yeah, that's where I get a lot of stuff, especially church and school rummage sales.

covid has completely obliterated that poo poo though

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

Estate sales never stop. I live outside NYC but always go to Northern New Jersey to scrounge around mansions for deals.

https://www.estatesales.net/

Also some are just full of stuff. Like check this one out. If I didn't have plans this weekend I'd be all over that.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Bo-Pepper posted:

Estate sales never stop. I live outside NYC but always go to Northern New Jersey to scrounge around mansions for deals.

Also some are just full of stuff. Like check this one out. If I didn't have plans this weekend I'd be all over that.

Oh man, I am going to have fun looking at this stuff.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Bo-Pepper posted:

my rule of thumb is if i see wood paneling in the house photos then the sale is gonna have The Good Stuff

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Don't be afraid of pawn shops. Yes, pricing is usually terrible, but if you know what you want, and they don't know what they have, you can get killer deals. Most of them use an online tool for pricing, so if there isn't an exact match they have to come up with their own price. Two weeks back I bought a Jackson Soloist guitar for $90, cleaned it, put on a new set of strings, and sold it for $280 after fees & shipping. BUT the same shop was trying to sell a $800MSRP guitar for $2700, the difference being their computer "new" what the $800 one was and the Jackson wasn't in the list.

I've also always been a visitor to the regular places; Goodwill, Salvation Army, St Vincent De Paul, and any other thrift shop I run across. I don't hit many rummage sales, but my dad will keep an eye out for stuff he thinks I might want.

Growing up my dad would "drag" me to "antique" auctions three times a week at two different places. "Drag" because I loved going, "antique" because it was normally just generic stuff. Might be an estate type one night, actual antiques, the contents of someone's storage shed or attic, etc. Never knew what you would get. I have a pretty nice collection of 50s and 60s Popular Mechanics, Popular Science, and Mechanics Illustrated as a result. The nights would usually end with the auctioneer selling a full table of stuff for a few bucks. The whole poo poo for one money as one auctioneer put it. Then my dad and I would stuff his van full. The next day or two would be going through everything, saving some, tossing some in the trash, and rearranging the rest for a trip back through the auction. Somehow mom put up with it, but my dad was making a few hundred bucks a month. Too bad all of those auctions are gone now. One auctioneer went back to Sicily to hide from the IRS, his replacement had a heart attack, as did the guy from the other location.

One thing my dad does now is to volunteer to clean out houses. Say someone died, someone got evicted, or even just moved out of a place, he'll go in and remove everything with a few other people. It's kind of scummy when you really think about some of the circumstances, but everything is probably going to go to the landfill otherwise. And if he finds something like a photo album he tries to find a relative to pass it on. He also didn't snitch on the person that went to prison for bank robbery when he found their stash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 23, 2006

feminism and healthcare are genocidal malthus-based hitlerian plots to murder brown babies

EVERY SPERM IS SACRED

https://www.collectorsweekly.com has bar none the best catalogue of collectable items I've found. Everything is neatly collated and they even give you a nice selection of eBay listings in the category, organized by the number of people Watching by default and you can change the sorting to your own needs. Found some good stuff for my collection just popping on to the site once in a while.