Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fcc compliant bob
Jan 15, 2006

The must un-fantastic avitar on the forum (guranteed!)

Sid Vicious posted:

when i was 14 someone tricked me into getting my SIN from me for a job and stole my identity and started a cel phone plan and 4 years later they tried to get me to pay the 5k he had wracked up and i was like lol no i dont think so and now the government has to contact me any time my SIN is used to make sure its me

I got hit with a number port-out-scam. They managed to call Verizon and change all of my verification details to almost lock me out permanently. Calling the phone support system would redirect you to their online system, which would require you to enter your number matched with the account.

The first time I called support, somehow I managed to get a rep immediately. She was completely unhelpful. Just sat in silence when I'd ask her any question and just repeated that I'd need to wait 30 before anything could be done. That obviously sounded fishy and after some Googling, I found that 30 days was actually the cut-off for someone being able to reclaim their number.

After finally figuring out a way to consistently hack my way through the call stack, without getting shitted out their online support link and hanging up on me, or being made to wait on hold forever only to get a recording then telling me that I need to call back during working hours, I finally managed to talk to a person who I managed to make a case to. That this was all totally absurd. I wasn't the first person this has happened to. They couldn't just give me that kind of bullshit excuse for an answer. They had prior records of my identity, and could verify against that. I managed to get my number back.

fcc compliant bob fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU