Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Did anyone lose in a dumber fashion than Tennessee yesterday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Wrong thread

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Is Mullen a bad recruiter? Or just horrible at developing talent? Or both?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
if I was coaching at a high profile college football program I would probably use it to get laid too

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

nerox posted:

He does have the best pillow talk voice.

We are into very different things.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Urbz at LSU would make me LOL

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah I think my definition of charisma is outdated and I will concede the point.

I think you might be underestimating just how stupid people are in this country.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Not really comfortable with either hospitals or insurers idea of denying care to someone based on them making risky health choices.

I am also not comfortable with the American healthcare system

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If you can’t win your conference you shouldn’t be in the playoff. You had your chance. Sucks to suck.

The regular season means nothing outside of a few conferences if you can win your conference and have someone chosen over you who didn’t.

You want more parity in college football? Stop letting teams in the playoff if they can’t win their conference. It’d be a marginal change but it’s still a chance in the right direction.

Otherwise call it the University of Alabama playoff and just give them a spot before the season even starts.

The SEC championship game is the most meaningless game of the season because of the current bullshit.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 23, 2021

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Omnikin posted:

The playoffs aren't looking for four conference champions, they're looking for the four best teams. Your argument is silly. 2016 Ohio State was clearly better than 2016 Penn State, despite their direct loss & PSU's conference championship that year

A 2 loss Alabama is still better than an undefeated Cincinnati in 999 out of 1000 games.

Who gets in?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Omnikin posted:

Alabama, naturally. Better team by your own metric.

My metric is win your conference to get in.

A 2-loss Alabama team in this context means Alabama loses the SECCG (or doesn’t even play it).

And you’d put that team in over an undefeated Cincinnati?

The regular season doesn’t really matter then, and we may as well expand the playoff and put powerhouses in the playoff before the season starts.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 23, 2021

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Omnikin posted:

My apologies; I was referring to your "999 out of 1000 times" comment. Do you really think that 1 out of 1000 team should make the playoff?

If they are undefeated, yes.

If you can’t be the best team in your conference then I don’t think you’re a “best team” for the playoff.

Can you go to Cincinnati and say the regular season matters if they go undefeated but don’t get in over a 2 loss team that didn’t win their conference? Isn’t that the whole argument against expanding the playoff?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Omnikin posted:

Fair enough, hard disagree. Too many elite teams trapped behind championship games at that point would lead to an even greater recruiting/talent gap. No thanks.

“This two loss team that didn’t even win their conference got to the playoff. This undefeated team didn’t.”

That doesn’t create a recruiting gap?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Omnikin posted:

Fair enough, hard disagree. Too many elite teams trapped behind championship games at that point would lead to an even greater recruiting/talent gap. No thanks.

edit - it's shaking out to be a tough playoff call, but I don't think Cincy would be stuck behind a 2-loss non-champion, no. I imagine they'd be behind SEC Champ Bama/1 loss UGA/1 loss Big 12/1 loss Big 10, if it shakes out like that though.

The point is, it shouldn’t be an “I think”

Cincinnati should control their own destiny at this point. But I think we can all agree that they don’t completely control their own destiny based on some arbitrary metric. We’ve seen undefeated teams shafted before.

What can you tell your team and future recruits if you can’t even confidently say people will respect you going undefeated when it matters the most?

“They went undefeated and didn’t even crack the top 10. We didn’t win our conference one year and were still able to compete for a national title” is one hell of a fuckin sales pitch if someone is undecided on which school to go to. The powerhouses will always get the best recruits with this deal, and in 50 years if college football is still a thing, the powerhouses will still be the powerhouses. To demonstrate this, here are the final rankings from 50 years ago:

If I told you this was 2011 instead of 1971 and hid the conferences and bowls, you’d probably believe me.

College football has a good opportunity to introduce some level of parity with the playoff. Or maybe the joke is on me and nothing will change regardless. But letting teams like Alabama in when they can’t even win their conference just reinforces the lack of parity.

Also it’s not about the best teams. It’s maybe 25% that. It’s 75% about ratings.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Grittybeard posted:

Undefeated UTSA in over a two loss Bama, let's go.

If people are concerned about the regular season mattering, that seems like the most sure fire way to make it matter more than ever.

Imagine if a recruit like Cam Newton or King Henry went to Southeast Alcorn Bluff Pine University because they could roll to an undefeated record.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Also I’d like to go on record and say if Florida was dominant year in and year out for 15 years instead of every once in a while I would have drastically different views on this probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Silly Burrito posted:

Spurrier was there for 12.

I was 8 when the Gators won their first title. Too young to really understand and enjoy anything but the last few years of Spurrier glory days.