Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Dr. Stab posted:

I'd probably order them:
Start Damaged > Fewer Rolls >> Expensive Spells > Start Poisoned > Tough Monsters >> Left Blank

Fewer rolls does require you to play tighter, but given optimal play, I don't think it's a huge detriment to your win rate. I'm willing to swap expensive spells and start poisoned, but that poison damage is a lot. Tough monsters takes enemies that you could kill in one turn and makes them take 2 turns. I'd never be able to, like, snipe a witch first turn, for example. And of course, left blank is horrible and impossible to overcome.

I made it to 18 with left blank once!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

It's all doable. There's some nutcases on the discord that have reached 150+ on cursed mode and have 5+ unfair streaks.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Miftan posted:

It's all doable. There's some nutcases on the discord that have reached 150+ on cursed mode and have 5+ unfair streaks.

That person is a warlock and is using eldritch magic. I count that as cheating!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dr. Stab posted:

I'd probably order them:
Start Damaged > Fewer Rolls >> Expensive Spells > Start Poisoned > Tough Monsters >> Left Blank

Fewer rolls does require you to play tighter, but given optimal play, I don't think it's a huge detriment to your win rate. I'm willing to swap expensive spells and start poisoned, but that poison damage is a lot. Tough monsters takes enemies that you could kill in one turn and makes them take 2 turns. I'd never be able to, like, snipe a witch first turn, for example. And of course, left blank is horrible and impossible to overcome.

Yeah, that's the problem and it's why I dropped S&D a few months ago. My three quests are to complete a Standard Normal run in 45 minutes or less, to win a battle with 13 curses, and to beat the game with every starting curse in Unfair. I'm not quick enough for the first, I've never even got close to the 13 curse point, and the "all starting curses" achievement is basically impossible. So I'm stuck, unable to unlock anything new.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
The only one I haven't done is Unfair Streak. The curse mode final quest and left blank were both friendishly hard though, especially the former.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The "all curses" achievements don't have to be done in standard mode.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Yep, definitely didn't take a spellcaster for the expensive spells run.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Finally!!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
"Yes, I remember the Aguamoose..."
I'm currently struggling with Left Blank too. It's the only curse I've not completed Unfair using.

This is such a good game, can't wait until the next update. Would very happily pay for dlc, I've had many, many hours of enjoyment from this game.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I had good luck doing Left Blank with the 2 healers 3 casters, with Start Damaged and Start Poisoned. Maybe enemy health would be better than poison here, because I found that I tended to start fights being able to match damage with healing, so the need (and also ability) to snipe enemies t1 is reduced. Plus, fights tended to take a really long time doing it this way and that made poison worse.

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

Funny then, that such darkness gives me hope
My Left Blank victory was done with 4 blue, 1 red, along with tough monsters and start damaged. I think 4 blue and 1 red might be generally the strongest team. Blue casters give incredible flexibility, and having 1 red for a source of healing and cleansing is important.

Andante
Jul 3, 2008
This game is amazing!

I finally had my first standard unfair victory today. I used Start Damaged, Fewer Rolls and Expensive Spells.

- Cleanse is extremely important.
- Having a unit that can do 4 damage in one turn can be very important. My run was heavy on Zombies and the Berserker carried me for a while.
- I picked up the item that gives -1 and rescue to the two left dice and wow, that item is incredible. I put it on a Monk for a while, and was able to use his redirect ability repeatedly to much more easily survive incoming damage. Later in the run, I put it on a witch, along with the item that deals one damage to all enemies whenever you rescue someone. On the final fight with Hexia, I found an infinite combo where I could continuously spam cleanse on the witch, the reflected one damage would put her back into dying range, and I could use it again. It was amazing.

Has anyone completed the achievement to finish custom mode unfair with five of the same hero? I was trying for a while with five blues, because late game they synergize really well and melt bosses, but the lack of healing and cleanse means I can't seem to get there. Any advice from those more skilled than me?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Got another Unfair win ... this time with the Mender, which I just don't remember at all. I've played so many rounds of Unfair, easily far more than all other modes combined, that I probably just didn't have the opportunity to unlock her for ages.

Point being, geez that one class practically turns it into unstoppable easy-mode.

Andante
Jul 3, 2008

Andante posted:

[...] custom mode unfair with five of the same hero [...]

Success, with 5 blues! This comp is so fun, and a lot of items break it wide open.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Finding out that you can get the Unfair achievement in Custom brought me back because banging up against Unfair in Standard broke me for a bit. Glass cannon runs with 4 blue and 1 red are easy mode. Probably 1 in 3 Unfair runs won now. Still haven't strung it together enough for the streak but gotten to the boss on 2nd run a few times now and just had bad luck.

Might try the 5x blue at some point too just to see how full kaboom run works.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I've been playing this game a couple days now and it scratches the same itch that Into The Breach does because you can delete monsters before they get a turn and chain together big brain combos.

Incredibly satisfying. Would definitely love to see more games like this.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I really enjoy the fact that there are totally broken combos you can get. Most other games would patch that out, but just the random nature of the game means that you can't COUNT on getting them. It's just a nice thing that happens sometimes.

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

What determines which items have precedence over others? For example, let's look at items that replace the top and bottom sides. If you have both Worn Arms (Replace top and bottom sides with 2 shield and 2 damage) and Longbow (Replace top and bottom sides with 2 ranged damage) on the same character, the item in the second slot will overrule the item in the first slot. But if you have Worn Arms and
Lead Weights (Replace top and bottom sides with blanks), Worn Arms will always overrule Lead Weights, no matter which slot it's in. On the other hand, Lead Weights always overrules Reflective Gauntlets (Copy middle side onto top and bottom) . Reflective Gauntlets does have different wording than the other items, but the effect seems like it should work the same way.

Basically, I just picked Reflective Gauntlets thinking it would go great with Lead Weights, but then discovered it's useless, so I'm salty.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Photux posted:

What determines which items have precedence over others? For example, let's look at items that replace the top and bottom sides. If you have both Worn Arms (Replace top and bottom sides with 2 shield and 2 damage) and Longbow (Replace top and bottom sides with 2 ranged damage) on the same character, the item in the second slot will overrule the item in the first slot. But if you have Worn Arms and
Lead Weights (Replace top and bottom sides with blanks), Worn Arms will always overrule Lead Weights, no matter which slot it's in. On the other hand, Lead Weights always overrules Reflective Gauntlets (Copy middle side onto top and bottom) . Reflective Gauntlets does have different wording than the other items, but the effect seems like it should work the same way.

Basically, I just picked Reflective Gauntlets thinking it would go great with Lead Weights, but then discovered it's useless, so I'm salty.

It used to be just in accordance with tann's internal logic, but I thought we bullied him into bringing back a 1 and 2 slot where 1 always has precedence over 2? I haven't played in a while so maybe it's changed again.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Miftan posted:

I thought we bullied him into bringing back a 1 and 2 slot where 1 always has precedence over 2? I haven't played in a while so maybe it's changed again.
It's basically this, and it hasn't been updated in ages ... a long awaited patch coming.

The catch is some items still have some keywords like "original value" so the item might not stack. It is logically consistent anyway.

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

teethgrinder posted:

It's basically this, and it hasn't been updated in ages ... a long awaited patch coming.

The catch is some items still have some keywords like "original value" so the item might not stack. It is logically consistent anyway.

Well, not entirely consistent, like the Lead Weights in my example above, but I guess that's a curse item, so maybe those work differently. And although that's inconsistent, it always works in the players favor, so I guess it's a good thing that they are inconsistent..

The Reflective Gauntlets have different wording in their description, though, and it's not clear that they should work different than other items. It would be nice if their wording and behavior was made consistent with the other items.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Jedit posted:

Yeah, that's the problem and it's why I dropped S&D a few months ago. My three quests are to complete a Standard Normal run in 45 minutes or less, to win a battle with 13 curses, and to beat the game with every starting curse in Unfair. I'm not quick enough for the first, I've never even got close to the 13 curse point, and the "all starting curses" achievement is basically impossible. So I'm stuck, unable to unlock anything new.

That's pretty much where I'm at. My three remaining are 13 curses, every starting curse in Unfair, and streak of 2 in Standard Unfair. I haven't gotten a streak of 1 there yet; I limped through custom Unfair once with Assassin / Venom / Sharpshot / Ludus / Fencer, Spells / Rolls / Damaged, but remember it requiring extreme luck to pull off. Since I'm stuck, I fell off the wagon for months.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I just picked it up again after showing it to a friend of mine (Who texted me at 2am the next morning to complain to me about why did I show him this game he has to go to work in 6 hours) and have just been playing easy and having a lot of fun.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Inceltown posted:

Finding out that you can get the Unfair achievement in Custom brought me back because banging up against Unfair in Standard broke me for a bit. Glass cannon runs with 4 blue and 1 red are easy mode. Probably 1 in 3 Unfair runs won now. Still haven't strung it together enough for the streak but gotten to the boss on 2nd run a few times now and just had bad luck.

Might try the 5x blue at some point too just to see how full kaboom run works.

What curses are you selecting for that? -1 Reroll and Start Damaged are obvious, but Start Poisoned seems like an insurmountable death sentence, Left Blank and Expensive Spells are no-gos, and while Tough Monsters can actually help early (putting several critters into Zap range, if you get Sparky quickly), it's going to be a problem later.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

delfin posted:

What curses are you selecting for that? -1 Reroll and Start Damaged are obvious, but Start Poisoned seems like an insurmountable death sentence, Left Blank and Expensive Spells are no-gos, and while Tough Monsters can actually help early (putting several critters into Zap range, if you get Sparky quickly), it's going to be a problem later.

Either tough monsters or start poisoned can be trivialised with the right hero upgrades and/or items. Hopefully with 4 blues you'll break the game over your knee by the end so the final boss having an extra 10 health won't matter that much.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Miftan posted:

Either tough monsters or start poisoned can be trivialised with the right hero upgrades and/or items. Hopefully with 4 blues you'll break the game over your knee by the end so the final boss having an extra 10 health won't matter that much.

This. I run start poisoned in Standard Unfair too and am still able to finish that somewhat regularly. You just need to pick cleanse the first chance you get but even until then blowing your mana on heal 1 to all from adept is enough to keep you kicking. You also need to accept some deaths for the greater good sometimes.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Miftan posted:

Oh, the final boss I'm not too worried about. It's getting there in the first place; Poisoned makes those 4-health adepts super-fragile, Cleanse is always vital but doesn't always come up when you need it, and summon-spammers generating 5-health rather than 4-health might get painful.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

delfin posted:

Oh, the final boss I'm not too worried about. It's getting there in the first place; Poisoned makes those 4-health adepts super-fragile, Cleanse is always vital but doesn't always come up when you need it, and summon-spammers generating 5-health rather than 4-health might get painful.

Taking start damaged rather than tough monsters and accept that acolyte and adept are just brewing mana for heals unless an opportunity arises works for me. You also need to work out if killing a mob to stop damage is better than healing someone. A dead 3 damage mob is better than shielding 2 damage with your 2 mana. This may still mean you lose a mans but you're in a better position with a dead mob than damaged with a live one.

It's all about working out which way to blow your load though as it can be tough.

There are probably maths freaks out there who have worked out the optimal probability but the real truth is going with your gut and becoming a legend or dying trying.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Unfair curses all done now. 4 mages and a priest.

That drat standard unfair streak is a right pain though, not sure I have the skills / patience for that.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Stalwart with mithril shields and glyph of purity is beyond broken, especially paired with a sorcerer on catnip.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
imo the rare times you get an absolutely broken combo running is a well-deserved treat, to make up for all the other times you wipe out on cursed:12 or whatever

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

redleader posted:

imo the rare times you get an absolutely broken combo running is a well-deserved treat, to make up for all the other times you wipe out on cursed:12 or whatever

Yup, I was talking about that with my friend I recently hooked on the game. That it happens rarely enough to make you feel absolutely wonderful and not bad at all about breaking the game over your knee and playing pickup sticks with the pieces.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Well, clicked on this thread on a whim a few days ago and downloaded the demo and have not been able to stop playing it. I stomped the lich in unfair and was disappointed I could not carry that party forward, so I bought the game.

One question: Is it possible to transfer the demo save game to the full game? I figure it would save time for whatever I unlocked, but not a big deal if it is not possible.

Edit: I think it did it automatically, unless the achievements I have are someone belong to someone else. Can I delete the demo folder or would some sort of save data be stored there?

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 24, 2022

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Save data is stored globally, not in the game directory. The demo is the same as the full game but you can only access one "mode".

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Didn't know this was a goon game. Been playing the demo, will probably get the android version as my tube journey game

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

ilmucche posted:

Didn't know this was a goon game. Been playing the demo, will probably get the android version as my tube journey game
I've literally missed my stop twice over it

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Hey Tann, is the iOS port/fork under development or somewhat on hold? I know it's a thing and all, but like many people I cannot take my PC with me to play your game.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Teledahn posted:

Hey Tann, is the iOS port/fork under development or somewhat on hold? I know it's a thing and all, but like many people I cannot take my PC with me to play your game.

I think iOS won't be too much work but i want to finish this big update before releasing to more platforms. Though the update was a lot smaller when i came up with this plan!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
At first i played the game because it was really good and fun. Now i play the game because my kid loves to watch the dice roll :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Can you give any info about the update? New classes/abilities and stuff? If not it's cool