Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop

Field Mousepad posted:

Can you give any info about the update? New classes/abilities and stuff? If not it's cool

I believe tann's website still has a link to the discord, and there's loads of stuff there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I thought it would be impossible to get the standard unfair streak achievement since I do not win a single unfair match that often to begin with, but then proceeded to win two back to back in my first games after not playing for a while. :toot:

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
Those excited about additional dice-based adventuring may appreciate Circadian Dice. Sadly there's no mobile version though.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Pop over to the Discord to grab the 2.0 beta. So far it's very fun to see all the new stuff.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I cannot believe the amount of new stuff - this is great. All the new art is absolutely fantastic as well.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

If you bought on itch, the files are here https://tann.itch.io/slice-dice. For play store it's more complicated (and buggy, oops!).

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I installed it from the link in the discord and no problems so far. Also the new stuff and art are great!

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Reinstalled it on Android and lost my save, though I was already prepared for that. Super excited to play through again and unlock everything, especially since it looks like there are a ton of changes!

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Immediate impression after two incomplete runs on Hard: I wish this had Genocide from Nethack and I could choose to completely eliminate an enemy type, because Fanatics are very unfun. If you hit the 1/3 chance and they get Exert instead of Pain, then you're definitely losing characters, and 13 HP makes them utterly impossible to rush down. The one Fanatic encounters are doable, two Fanatic encounters are incredibly likely to just kill you.

(Edit) Less kneejerk thoughts after a third:
- I think the yellow Scrapper class might be my favorite in the game so far, and it's probably also the only tier 2 class I've seen that I'd choose not to promote. The reusable Charged side is usually amazing (especially if you get extra mana capacity items), and if you get Bard or Poet then the Steel sides can do work.
- Speaking of which, the Charged shield side on Bard makes it a lot more fun. That said, it feels like it's otherwise weak.
- Scoundrel should not be a tier 1 class. Having a tier 1 class with 2/3 empty sides makes the start of the game feel so much worse.
- I don't like Student, either: it's a tier 1 with no real mana gen, and the three-mana spell makes that worse.
- I think I'm leaning towards liking Ruffian, by virtue of the Pain side making for interesting decisions, but it's incredibly feast-or-famine.
- It feels like enemy summoning has been buffed? If so, please put it back. I had a Hard fight where Reinforcements got up in the double digits.
- Poet is great! I like having a tier 3 Bard, and all its sides are interesting.
- Wizard is another blue that's weirdly bad at mana gen, especially if you don't get that perma-boost side early. Inspire can do some amazing things, but without items that's all it has to recommend it.
- Forsaken is... actually good now, I think? Weird feeling.

Einander fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 5, 2022

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Hexia is very scary now. Double attack on her pain horn, and mana burn makes spell spam murder your caster.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Uugh so tempted to install the beta, but I think I'll wait to avoid the hassle of reinstalling.

Thanks for continuing to improve the game, Tann!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Does the beta not have any modes other than normal? I'm getting the prompt to buy the full version but it's saying no connection (I own the full version and uninstalled it prior)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Does the beta not have any modes other than normal? I'm getting the prompt to buy the full version but it's saying no connection (I own the full version and uninstalled it prior)

did you press the "verify purchase" button? that worked for me

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

someone awful. posted:

did you press the "verify purchase" button? that worked for me

That did it! I think I must have not had an internet connection at the time so it was having trouble loading.

Awesome update btw! I love all the new enemy modifiers and stuff

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Juggler fuckin rules :black101:

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

Challenges are the "accept this condition for the next fight and get an item" mechanic, right? Are they bugged out right now? I noticed that there's a monster that unlocks with three Challenges but I don't think I've seen a single one so far, and IIRC you had to open them and accept/deny to move forward in the previous version, so I don't think I've missed them...

(Using the itch.io version, in case that matters)

I really like Gather and Glow as spells, particularly Glow. 3 Heal + 3 Shield is quite powerful, and there were times I was deliberately rolling empty sides to take advantage of that spell, which is a sign it's in a good place.

New items are all good so far. The tier 2 item Whey is particularly great for that tier if you get it on a meaty heal or shield side, and both the Underdog and Overdog items are cool.

Current version of Jester makes me sad. Post-nerf Flick is practically a dead spell, just by virtue of the Cooldown on it--virtually any other tier 2 spell would be better in the slot, and Jester doesn't have much else unless you want the reroll for Cantrips or safety. The fact it feels like one of the better blue classes still is not great.

Generate is missing something as a mode right now, in part because it seems to be selecting entirely from preexisting abilities when constructing characters. As a result characters are mostly at about the standard level of power or a little lower, because they're not guaranteed to have any of the particularly powerful sides; I felt like I was limping along during both of my runs. If you get 3/4 through a randomizer and you never stop and say, "wow, that's broken," in a good or bad sense, then it's not a very interesting one.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Wow this is a hell of an update. Hard to give detailed impressions on balance etc. at this point but I'm definitely thrilled with the sheer amount of content, bravo.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
New classes are a bit of a mixed bag in terms of power, although they're all very interesting.
Shout-out to Wanderer and its glorious hanzo steel. Getting some middle face bonuses turns their quad strike into a blender.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

If I revive a dead hero during combat should I be able to use their spell again? I'm getting "can't cast spells from defeated heroes" after reviving Venom with Operate

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

goferchan posted:

If I revive a dead hero during combat should I be able to use their spell again? I'm getting "can't cast spells from defeated heroes" after reviving Venom with Operate

Submit a bug report in-game if you are in a bugged battlestate and I'll take a look. Venom doesn't have any spells though, did they have a spell item?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Tann posted:

Submit a bug report in-game if you are in a bugged battlestate and I'll take a look. Venom doesn't have any spells though, did they have a spell item?

Ohhhhh I had Miasma and assumed it was Venom's, duh. No bugs here!

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

really enjoying the new content, thank you Tann

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I know it's on itch.io, but are there any plans on getting the game onto Steam? I bet it'd make a great Steam Deck title.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

How are there still 30 keywords I haven't seen???? What are these "Events" that I just unlocked? There's so much stuff in this update it's nuts

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
I can't wait to get my hands on this new version, it sounds very juicy. In the meantime, I just put Fertiliser and Dragon Egg on a Sorcerer and had infinite rerolls and mana in turn 2 vs the final boss which was hilarious.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Osmosisch posted:

I can't wait to get my hands on this new version, it sounds very juicy. In the meantime, I just put Fertiliser and Dragon Egg on a Sorcerer and had infinite rerolls and mana in turn 2 vs the final boss which was hilarious.

i love the rare games where everything goes your way and you get some ridiculous combo like that

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Has anyone found a broken combo involving a "tier zero" item yet? I just know they're out there... it's so hard to pass up the reward that gives you 4 of them

edit: Am I missing something about why the Urn doesn't let the Shield 3 I get from Ladder keep the double-use keyword?

goferchan fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 9, 2022

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

the beta wont authorize me on the google store ('nothing to restore'); anything i can try? blitzed a few demo runs tho, what an bounty of new stuff. big thumbs up on the enemy shield removal & all the new quality of life improvements. a3ums new art touches are great as well, the portraits & dice theming do a genuinely impressive job infusing characters with personality without a single word of lore.

goferchan posted:

Has anyone found a broken combo involving a "tier zero" item yet? I just know they're out there... it's so hard to pass up the reward that gives you 4 of them

edit: Am I missing something about why the Urn doesn't let the Shield 3 I get from Ladder keep the double-use keyword?

does it work if you swap their positions? had a couple interactions that needed that

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

goferchan posted:

Tier 0 items are very funny, but the only ones I can really think of is using the rorriM tekcoP with Eccentric or Leather Gloves to multiply copy that side.

I've had some bugs with Enduring too but it wasn't working with the quad-use skill that yellow gets as a t3 job. Maybe just something about N-use keywords?

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Beat Generate yesterday. It feels like the key is getting Steel or Charged, and preferably Charged Shield into a Steel attack, because a lot of the time the generated numbers are garbage.

I wish that unlocking a certain number of classes gave you three class choices per upgrade rather than two. It feels like half of the tier 3 greys lead me to immediately pick the other option, no matter how bad it is.

goferchan posted:

RoboCicero posted:

Tier 0 items are very funny, but the only ones I can really think of is using the rorriM tekcoP with Eccentric or Leather Gloves to multiply copy that side.

I've had some bugs with Enduring too but it wasn't working with the quad-use skill that yellow gets as a t3 job. Maybe just something about N-use keywords?

Urn + Hissing Ring works properly (Quad Strike, 2 poison). Also got me the Chaos achievement, since I also had a Wraith.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Number 1 on the Cursed leaderboard! ...For like a day while only 5 people had played cursed mode on the beta. But still!

Agreeing with everyone that I love all the new content; could be a top 10 game of the decade at this rate. Also agreeing that multiple Fanatics are a little overtuned; one Fanatic has an interesting risk-reward but three of them are pretty friggin unplayable. Cleanse being the value of the die and not all-or-nothing is a good change to make it less overwhelmingly important. Really REALLY love the ranked curses.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Two bugs regarding unlocks: had a Generated hero show up while the "5% generated heroes" option was off (but unlocked). I also unlocked the Jinx enemy for getting 7 curses in a run, but I know I'd fought Jinxes before then.

Also, got to say, not a fan of the Jinxes. Had a Blursed run nearly end in the 50s because one generated with "all enemies have Pristine" and both summoned Bones; their sides are just way too liable to utterly explode if anything adds to their pips and too likely to murder your whole team if anything tanks your durability, and a lot of powerful curses do either of those. Still won because Demon Claw on a Steel attack side covers a multitude of sins, but that was way too close.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Bug report that I'm sad to share because it makes the game easier: the initial curse offering allows multiples, at least for slippery dice, which let me get two curse points for "free" because I could take both Slippery Dice++ and normal Slippery Dice:

(This was my only unfair win so far, so hopefully I'm capable of beating it without a bug helping me :'D)

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

hito posted:

Bug report that I'm sad to share because it makes the game easier: the initial curse offering allows multiples, at least for slippery dice, which let me get two curse points for "free" because I could take both Slippery Dice++ and normal Slippery Dice:

(This was my only unfair win so far, so hopefully I'm capable of beating it without a bug helping me :'D)

Thanks, this is already fixed! There are a couple of other things like this too.

edit: uh I mean in my dev version. I don't know when the next beta update will be

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Even normal in the full game is kicking my rear end. The demo was fine but levels 16+ are oooooof

Is there a way to know which hero types I've already picked?

Oh I found it. I've only got 3/60 heroes that have never been chosen but don't have custom party mode. Does it count post-demo only?

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 11, 2022

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Hexia is a jerk because he makes me think too much. Give me the Dragon any day

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Who would win, hexia, or one side of a die?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Eagerly awaiting the full release, all this stuff sounds dope

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
in a vacuum I like all the new stuff, but it does make the game feel really volatile from run to run since there's even less you can plan around. i don't really have a good solution to this especially since again, any given addition is awesome, but i wanted to mention it because it's definitely something i've been feeling with my Beta 2.0 runs.

there's just a huge variety of classes, items, and encounters and you see fairly few of them any given run. maybe some way to forecast coming encounters, or seeing three class upgrades instead of two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
This new version has changed and expanded nearly every aspect of the game, and the balance is way out of whack. It certainly needs some tuning.

In particular, I think heroes have significantly more blank sides now (especially if you count the death sides) and also more single use and exhaust sides, and also more enemies that inflict weakness or single use. And, that's probably the biggest hit to consistency, along with enemies like fanatics which are just a little too strong compared to how strong the game thinks they are when building encounters.