Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I'm still playing the free version and I'm making 0 progress on unfair. I've gotten to the boss once but it feels so punishing because the best curses to take early are the stuff like less health and you just can't outpace that later on.

Is there a list of curses to pick/ignore somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

CainFortea posted:

There are very few curses that are "always skip" just because it depends so much on class options and items.

Don't you have to pick curses up front? I'm not seeing a lot of choice in terms of class/item picks as a way to play around curses.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Got my first unfair win by the skin of my teeth with only one character left and I find out there's brutal after? Dear god.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Is there an option to speed up the dice rolling animation? I found the toggle for enemies but player side is still very slow.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

So green heroes are garbage on purpose right? They seem so so bad so far.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I really dislike the procgen content - the proc gen characters and items have been terrible garbage and it sucks when you start getting them instead of actually good things.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

What modes are people playing?

I think I have the most fun when I'm abusing late game items like Time Stone but most of the classic modes don't accelerate me there fast enough.

It feels like I just want to run Nightmare with seeded team comps. Lvl 1 heroes are the worst.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I've been trying to do the 5 blues and generally it's been pretty successful up to the final boss but then it falls apart. Now I just get roadblocked by the 2 health immune to ability thorns all the time.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Got my first unfair win on the Steam version - feels like I've gotten rolled by RNG a lot of times.

Ex: going for other enemies immune to damage and then running into a goblin summoner who pumped skeletons every turn

I think I basically have the same complaints as the Android version - curses are very unbalanced compared to their point costs and some of them just create insta lose situations. Gaming curses isn't very fun for me so I don't think I'll ever get to the point where I can streak unfair or go for brutal/hell wins.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Haha yes, finally had RNG go my way with Unfair choose heroes.

Avoided thorns early game and managed to roll into 3 sparkies to carry my mid game with their charged attacks. Dragon was pretty iffy but I barely pulled through by having my lower 2 heroes dodge his poison and then killed him on my 3rd turn.

I'm kinda done with hard modes, I just want a dumb easy mode for babies - give me like guaranteed +10 item and level up choices and just let me go wild assembling the dumbest combos possible.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Einwand posted:

Thankfully heaven exists, and you can get a 20 point blessing that is +10 to item rarity which is exactly as busted as you'd expect.

Yeah like Heaven but without random blessings thanks.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Jerkface posted:

Is there any streamers/youtubers who play this that are not insanely cringe? I am mostly looking for people who would play classic unfair+ runs and talk through their decision making.

Celerity on twitch was streaking unfair a few days ago and I've always enjoyed his streams.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Ghast is kinda on the low end of T3 blues along with Artificer imo.

Sorceror and Warlock are my all stars. I wish Ghast, Artificer and Ace got bumped up a bit to at least Wizard level.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I said I wasn't going to grind unfair but I'm trying unfair generated and I'm having the worst luck. It's just lovely lopsided guy after lovely lopsided guy and my guys not hitting their good side. My last run I got to Hexia, who summoned 3 demons before I killed her and then got locked into a death stalemate because my only damage dealer died and I had a bunch of spell casters.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I don't think stall gets anywhere close without item support but if you get a cantrip death immunity/revive or a strong rescue side going it's pretty great. Then again, pure rocket tag builds don't tend to get there without item support either.

I imagine a pure red run being significantly easier than a pure yellow run.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

CainFortea posted:

In my experience, pure red runs are the 2nd hardest behind pure grey.

I just tried a pure red run on Heaven and yeah, I didn't realize how bad the lack of offense can get.

I think what I didn't realize about level 3 reds is that compared to level 1 reds that are about on par with level 1 blues for mana generation, level 3 reds tend to trade that away for healing and healing sides are still really really crappy.

Doctor kind of has offensive potential but I never got shaman to group cleanse. Painful, don't want to do it again on a real difficulty setting.

Edit: Is it just me or do some of the 9 curses just seem completely not even viable? Like +warchief to every fight just seems like a near auto lose?

WarpedLichen fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 28, 2024

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Housecat runs get wild.

Funny thing is I had this guy at 58 earlier and I rerolled into a garbage character and almost lost the run.

The generation needs some work to be sure.

WarpedLichen fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 29, 2024

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Does anybody find the challenges to be worth taking? It seems like I never take any of them because they seem too hard, but maybe I'm not assessing them correctly. Especially the early ones where it's like an extra alpha wolf for a tier 0 or tier 1 item.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Finally got a luck break and cleared unfair generated where I got easy curses and consistently got blues with 3 sides that generated mana.

Then the game got busted open when I got a Green guy with heavy 10 on the left and a 4 cost spell that adds mana gain to a side.

I got silk scarf which to copy the heavy 10 to 4 sides and the boss was a cake walk.

The difference in difficulty when everything lines up is insane.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Yeah, the Hand can just decide to end my runs if I'm running some short of defensive team and he just decides to spawn two swords every turn.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Yeah, I also don't like picking statue with the hope I pick up side replacers later. Friendship bracelet is not ideal either because you're missing a hero who can actually damage enemies to cause a retreat. I mean I'm not even sure I take statue if I have knife bag and I get that item all the time.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Is the monster cape tweak good? I always thought it was a complete trap because the monster left side is their heavy single target side so the Hand's instant kill side gets copied or something.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Nice, those are some chonky monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Quackles posted:

Can someone give me advice with that? I keep trying 4 cats + T0 Green to get the Choose-Party Unfair goal, and it keeps flopping.

Always put your character to level in the middle - this dodges the insta kill from Tarantus, Teeth damage and some moves like Inevitable's top/bottom weaken.

Vessel or Luggage at T3 gives you a lot of value. T4 is the weakest point, it picks up at T5 and on. Look out for side replaces - Mirror Mask on a cat or Cape can be pretty much GG.

+damage sides for cats can do good work, 2 damage cleave is very relevant for most of the game.

Tactics can make a bad character great - the big damage single use or death sides can power tactics but the ones that require blanks are probably not that reliable with cats.