Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Getting in on the ground floor of the thread about best mobile game of the last few years.

Has anyone here managed the unfair streak yet?

Miftan fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Arzaac posted:

Dancer's AoE rampage with any amount of damage upgrades is completely insane. You can deal so much damage to everything as long as your Dancer's HP holds out.

That's what Undying sides are for.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Tonfa posted:

Was a fun romp going through Hard in the demo and then through Unfair in the retail game. The challenges in the game are pretty linear (enough raw stats to grind out fights, pay the mandatory cleanse tax, get enough boss killing power because dragon isn't tankable) and classes are largely just Better or Worse depending on how many boxes they check so it lacks the replayability of some games in a similar space to make it truly outstanding but that's ok, it was good brainfood for a bit. Thumbs up.

Sounds like it's time for you to try the achievements and cursed mode.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Nighthand posted:

My main advice is that when people say to value cleanse, they mean it. You can do without it on easy and normal if you stack enough damage to alpha strike everything, but it's necessary in hard and downright mandatory on higher levels.

I keep trying unfair and I'm slowly realizing it's better to have one or two main damage heroes and the rest support than to try to go in on damage for everyone, one or two support isn't enough.

I find it easier to alpha strike in unfair even if you don't get everyone. People can usually survive round 1 with maybe 1 shield which means you want to go HARD to reduce damage for future rounds.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Concurred posted:

Ok but also how the hell do you deal with Troll with all Greys

Pray (also do it on normal and get one of the good blessings to help you out)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Raine posted:

i totally get that, what i guess i was trying to say is that the difficulty spike going from the end of the loop to losing every item and upgraded characters is dramatic and brutal if you get bad rolls

There's definitely an issue where some blessings are substantially better than others, you might have gotten unlucky with that, but I think that's a thing tann specifically said he was working on.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I suspect mithril shields is going to eat a nerf in the next update..

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

DrHammond posted:

I haven't spent nearly enough time with this game yet, but as far as I can tell slime queen is an impassable wall. I just can't manage the multi-hit attacks and the number of minions without losing the battle of attrition.

I think that Slime Queen is one of the hardest bosses, but definitely not impassable. I try to clear away the smaller slimes as I go, until the queen is at about 7-8 HP at which point it's possible to burst her down and negate a lot of damage that way.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Canuckistan posted:

Just finished lvl 20 vs Dragon on normal. A good fight but my party was wiped the same turn I killed the dragon. It was nice of the game to give me the win anyways.

There's no way to NOT pick a new character, is there? I had a kick rear end lvl 2 Defender going with all cleave shields and it was EZ mode right up to 20, then in the last battle I was forced to change him up to something different and more or less blew up my game.

Nope. That's why it's a good idea to stack your tier 3 heroes as soon as you start getting them. That way you're not getting items that are amazing for tier 2 heroes but will be useless for the final fight. A good item on a t3 is better than the perfect item on a t2 unless you're really struggling or doing cursed or something, and even then..

Congrats on killing Dragon though!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Canuckistan posted:

I can't recall the details, but I had growth and growth +2 items on three spaces on a blue die that had cantrips for mana, mana, reroll. This ended up as a perpetual reroll/mana generator but after a few iterations the die got PAIN on at least one side and it killed my guy when I got +8 rolls. These numbers aren't exact, but close enough.

So, is there a mechanism which stops perpetual roles, or was there one side with PAIN all the time and I didn't notice until it killed me?

You can easily get to infinite reroll with several hero/item combos. Dragon egg and sorcerer is the easiest one, iirc.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

eonblue174 posted:

Still playing this game daily lol. I mostly just play shortcut normal, I like making the different builds work.

Ace of Spades, that boosts the left and drops everything else, doesn't ever seem to be good. Is there a use case or combo where it's valuable?

Comedy option on the Gambler, or if you get a ton of reroll via socrecer + growth

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Jedit posted:

The existing ones are already annoying me. There are 16 I don't have, there are a chunk of items locked behind them and I have no idea where to even start. Things that are just awarded for streaks and such are OK because I'll get them eventually just by playing, but I think it's very bad form to have an achievement that is both hidden and counterintuitive.

I unlocked all the hidden ones by playing naturally eventually. Once you get more comfortable with the game you're more likely to do the stuff it requires, I think. Either way, most of the stuff locked behind them isn't game altering in any way, just some fun new items that almost never show up because there's so many of them.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Jedit posted:

So, I am locked on challenges. I have:

Win Standard Normal in 45m or less: conceivably doable, but I almost never play a full game in one session and as is wins take me somewhere over 50 minutes.
Win with 13 Curses: I don't play Cursed mode and the "reward" is another loving curse so why would I even want it.
Win Unfair with all starting curses: yeah, gently caress off.

At least it's not all unfair curses at once :v:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Tann posted:

Ah cheers, I got some extra sales on itch and couldn't figure out where they came from.

Probably safe to do a YouTube search for slice and dice and sort by newest when that happens

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

teethgrinder posted:

I still play this a lot, and I'm still bashing my head against unfair difficulty. Best I've done is 16/20.

Honestly unfair is just.. Unfair. It requires some luck as well as knowing what class options are just plain better than others.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

The fun thing about the witches is that everyone has their own different preferred order for the kills. I like to go poison witch > broom witch > heal witch because if you don't have cleanse poison is really annoying, especially in fights that have enemy invincibility mechanics.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Jedit posted:

I know how to kill them. They just deal too much damage to survive. Slime Queen is the same. Floor 8 is a hard wall of unbeatable fights.

Except for the people who have beaten it, you mean. It's definitely unfair, but it's not impossible.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

It's all doable. There's some nutcases on the discord that have reached 150+ on cursed mode and have 5+ unfair streaks.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Photux posted:

What determines which items have precedence over others? For example, let's look at items that replace the top and bottom sides. If you have both Worn Arms (Replace top and bottom sides with 2 shield and 2 damage) and Longbow (Replace top and bottom sides with 2 ranged damage) on the same character, the item in the second slot will overrule the item in the first slot. But if you have Worn Arms and
Lead Weights (Replace top and bottom sides with blanks), Worn Arms will always overrule Lead Weights, no matter which slot it's in. On the other hand, Lead Weights always overrules Reflective Gauntlets (Copy middle side onto top and bottom) . Reflective Gauntlets does have different wording than the other items, but the effect seems like it should work the same way.

Basically, I just picked Reflective Gauntlets thinking it would go great with Lead Weights, but then discovered it's useless, so I'm salty.

It used to be just in accordance with tann's internal logic, but I thought we bullied him into bringing back a 1 and 2 slot where 1 always has precedence over 2? I haven't played in a while so maybe it's changed again.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

delfin posted:

What curses are you selecting for that? -1 Reroll and Start Damaged are obvious, but Start Poisoned seems like an insurmountable death sentence, Left Blank and Expensive Spells are no-gos, and while Tough Monsters can actually help early (putting several critters into Zap range, if you get Sparky quickly), it's going to be a problem later.

Either tough monsters or start poisoned can be trivialised with the right hero upgrades and/or items. Hopefully with 4 blues you'll break the game over your knee by the end so the final boss having an extra 10 health won't matter that much.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I cannot believe the amount of new stuff - this is great. All the new art is absolutely fantastic as well.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

This version is definitely harder than 1.0. i used to be able to beat hard 90% of the time and unfair 50% and now my hard runs are 50-50.

I think the fact that there are so many options means you're more likely to stumble into trap meta-options like not taking enough damage on your yellow/orange heroes or rolling with only aoe damage and then hitting a brick wall enemy with tons of hp or a basilisk that you can't kill fast enough.

Having said that: game rocks and I'm having a blast unlocking poo poo, getting achievements and slicin' and dicin'.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Jedit posted:

Go on then, explain how Gnolls are even remotely fair or well balanced. They can appear as early as floor 3, they are completely immune to damage of less than 2 from any source, and they can OHKO level 1 characters.

I think that was a joke. Anyway Gnolls are fine. A hard early monster, sure, but as long as they don't smash your yellow character 5 turns in a row they're beatable. And even then to be honest. Just focus on getting hits of 2/mana for burst. That's doable even at level 1.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Some of them are secretly useful in niche situations!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Mana burn is a great addition on hexia. She was to be much easier than dragon if you had decent spells and now I'd say she's slightly harder depending on team comp. Venom still the floor 20 mvp

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

dhamster posted:

There is that flag item that taunts, right?

As well as several grey champion skills, yeah. The flag needs to be unlocked iirc

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

It has only just occurred to me that thimble, a tier 6 item, basically makes one character immune to hexia's gimmick. Picking it every single time even if I've only got 1 pain side in the entire party.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Osmosisch posted:

I don't know if you alreay heard this Tann but you got kind of namechecked by Justin Ma on Soren Johnson's Designer Notes podcast. The 'Unfair' difficulty in the new Into the Breach addon is named after the Slice & Dice difficulty (and he loves the game!)

That's so cool!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Tann posted:

Wrote a quick thing to generate alterations to art, maybe this can be useful...

:eyepop:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Another tip is don't try to overshield or overheal. Barring specific situations, I'd the hero is surviving that's enough and means everyone else (including that hero on the next turn!) can deal damage. the best defence is all the enemies being dead since that recovers everyone's hp

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

Not spending mana unless it can be used to kill something or save a hero on that turn is a good strategy as well.

You would think that "unless you'll lose it" goes without saying, but I have had to say that before so here we are.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Also all tier 0 items are joke items, but a handful have actual niche uses which make them have an actual use even if it's really low value.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

There's also one that adds 1 to sides with zero pips or something like that which is useful situationally (like a long fight with decay?) or if you get sparky

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Tafferling posted:

4 wisps and 2 demons on floor 19 with the Pristine modifier.
So many bones. Some combinations seem unwinnable. And it was just Hard!

Unless tann changed it, the floor difficulty (as in, how the game decides which combination of enemies to spawn) is constant between all difficulties and probably modes. It's just the interaction of curses and blessings that influences the difficulty

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Cruel always works with shields and heals on party members under half hp. There's a tier 6 item that gives you cruel on two sides which is great on certain grey/red heroes.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

silvergoose posted:

Is there a place to learn about "how do I unlock cool new things" without being spoiled on all of the things? I think what I'm looking for is "hmm, what modes haven't I unlocked and how do I go about unlocking those" but not details about the modes themselves, and same for characters.

If you click on a thing on the almanac/settings menu, it will usually tell you what to do to unlock it. Other than that yeah the alamanc will list 5 random cheevos

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

New Leaf posted:

Ahh so best to do it on Easy or something? I don't think I've even played Easy..

Easy is great for messing around and achievement hunting because the blessings are nuts.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

distortion park posted:

They go all the way up to 20 though, what's that, +1 all sides?

+1 all sides is a level 8 blessing, I'm pretty sure. Got offered it once on Hard and crushed it.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I finally rolled the ultimate Blessing/Curse combo to snag the drat "Win in under 40/35 rounds" achievements:

Wanderer is so good. My only regret is that I didn't get to copycat that side.

I did that achievement with the 'deathwish on all friendly sides' bless and stocking up curses that deal damage to me. Beat most floors on turn 1 because as it turns out: doubling all your sides all the time is very strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Curses that add an extra monster have the same result. You only have so many attacks, and an extra zombie or whatever soaks up too many of them.

If you can get away with killing Bramble first, their passive vanishes and you can then finish off the small monsters without running out of steam.