Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

dhamster posted:

This is a really incredible game and I can't recommend it enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

CainFortea posted:

Some of us have never even beaten Hard.

I got my poo poo kicked in by dragon on my closest attempt

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

So satisfying

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I dunno, I don't find slime *that* hard, dragon is way more of a "you didn't roll perfectly for three turns, so lol gently caress you" boss

The best thing to remember with slime is that the queen can't be killed quickly so you need to manage her, focus on killing other slimes first and always choose to do damage that doesn't spawn a slime if you can help it - if possible you want to (in order) kill smaller slimes doing damage, bigger slimes you can hit without splitting, bigger slimes you can kill, smaller slimes not doing damage, bigger slimes

Also it's a long boss so support rolls are often better than a few points of extra damage in a turn

norp fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Nov 3, 2021

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Ughhh just had one of the most awful mobs yet - 3x caw + 2 wisp

It was a pretty good run too, but healing does nothing when you are taking like 14 damage to multiple guys from round 1. only had a few shield sides since it was a 3blue/2red party.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Tann posted:

I was playing Slay the Spire yesterday and my heart sank when I tried to undo!

Yeah, I think blue classes are slightly more powerful than others. Plus they combo with each-other quite well; lots of mana, lots of spells to choose from.

Also the "double your current mana" side is unbalanced with multiple blues in your team.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Until you hit crystals

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Get lucky on item drops?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Nope, it's one of the more annoying things to have a perfect build wiped by a forced class change tho

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I think I may have done a 3blue/2grey or 3blue/2red for that challenge.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Jedit posted:

I don't know how you even got that far. I get killed by the witches every time. They're just impossible to beat.

The big thing with the witches is to get them to proc+1 with small stuff, then hit with big stuff if you can.
It means you can normally guarantee a kill next turn since they will be on 2-3 rather than 4

The other important bit is if you can't kill a witch but can set off another one's invicibility you should do that because you will take that damage either way but you guarantee another turn if they haven't been set off.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Yep, definitely didn't take a spellcaster for the expensive spells run.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Weirdly it's always the apple reviews that hold up our releases at work

Maybe the reviewers like your game and take their time having a bit of a play

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Slaan posted:

Surely putting ritual on a +reroll cantrip won't matter. Im never going to actually use that dice so it's a free powerup for extra rerolls :downs:

Narrator: it mattered

Do you mean rite? I too found out that rule interaction did not work how I had hoped.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

You probably need to build a turn1 infinite combo so you can spend at least half the run winning on turn1

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Pretty sure conditional effects (eg. target health, my health, turn, etc) get applied in a second pass so the other effect would be applied first despite die position

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Arrrrgghhhhh just had a run with

2x ludus + myco
Leather gloves
Ballet shoes
Dumbbell

Then I got forced to replace myco after round 19... Into hexia :negative:

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Oh drat, how did I forget (not notice?) that

I came within 3 damage of killing hexia as well... I would have crushed with the 50% hero revive die

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I just had a weird thing (bug?) in hard where I chose "heavy weapons" and on fight 2 all dice on all characters gained single use (visible before round started) and it didn't carry on to fight 3.

Was there maybe a monster effect I didn't notice?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

It lets you know that auto flee has no gameplay impact (aside from stopping you from accidentally killing one of your dudes in the final round)

The only thing I could see it being a negative is if your run has a lot of pain/death sides and a resurrect hero you might miss out on a final round of undeath you need

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

MerrMan posted:

This game is... really good. I'm really liking the "show you a handful of achievements you don't have yet" to direct what you should be doing rather than just showing everything and letting the player figure it out. Next up for me is 3/4 same color heroes in Custom Party. I doubt it's multiple Grey/Red heroes, but I'm not sure which of Orange/Yellow/Blue is the most appealing.

If you want EZ mode for the 4x try 4blue/1red (mentioned a few posts back)

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Arzaac posted:

Hexia with a bunch of blue characters is easier than it sounds, imo. If you get a Warlock you're pretty much golden, you can take her out in 3 Blazes and only sacrifice one character while doing so. Chronos and Weaver are also top picks if they're in your bottom slot, because a dodging mage is a mage that doesn't get hit by Mana Burn.

Making your 5th a red hero I think also helps a bunch. There are tons of good red heroes that can offset mana burn; Forsaken, Doctor, Surgeon, Witch, and I guess arguably Wraith.

also with blues you can just sacrifice some dps by shielding your guys a bit before using a spell

Edit: actually that isn't how it works is it.... I just know that blue teams have way more trouble with thorn than hexia

norp fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 15, 2022

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

How does duplicate interact with cantrip sides?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Eschatos posted:

When do blessings and curses start showing up? Is that just through a secondary game mode? I've gotten two normal 20 round wins so far, thats it.

And the best way to get modes unlocked is keep an eye on the hints on the achievement page.

Cursed/blursed modes really are where it's at but they are probably not super fun till you can reliably finish runs on harder difficulties

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Turn1 monster shields or that one that grants shields when a monster dies are pretty much never picks on a glass cannon run.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Ferrinus posted:

I've been playing this a lot and love it but I have this complaint: it is way too easy to click through Start -> Yes instead of Continue and overwrite a lot of progress in an extended run. This also seems to happen if you just click on a game mode to see what it is while you have a game going in another. It'd be nice if it was either harder to inadvertently reset a run or easier to undo a reset.

Each game mode has its own save slot, so you can put down a cursed run for a bit and play some random or a paste without losing your progress

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lemony posted:

I'm pretty sure that well over half my final boss encounters so far have been Hexia.

You can go take a look at that stat in the almanac!

Hexia is definitely the boss I have with the worst kill ratio.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I'm glad there are people crazy enough to do this kind of thing

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

That doesn't work if the phone was already wiped

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

There's a copy/load achievements button in the almanac

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Quackles posted:

Just downloaded it. Pretty fun! What does buying the game unlock?

The demo run is also only like halfway through, things get way more interesting past there.

Put it this way - the demo mode is listed in the menu under "crappy" modes now

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

CainFortea posted:

In general, people new to the game have to kinda unlearn habits from other games. Trying to build a team that can slug it out is usually not the winning move. Party member's lives are a resource you spend. If you kill the last enemy and your last party member dies, you still win. And going for huge item/class combos is good if you can get it, but it's not something that should really be something you go for. Since classes changes and great build you have now could be made absolutely useless in a level.

One good way of practicing this is by using 5x cultist as starting lineup for an all blue run.

Can't avoid death if all your dudes try to commit suicide from turn 1

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Having to beat a pair of thorns with only meddler's bones cantrip spawn was particularly annoying with the ghostly enemies curse

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

It's a tad annoying that a weakened to zero growth side can't be used - even a mana side that has no target.

I might be remembering wrong but didn't it previously allow you to use a zero pipped die if it had some other effect?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I do occasionally take them, but it's highly dependant on the fight still being realistically beatable and the items being immediately synergistic.

You do get those items before the fight which does help a bit but yeah 90%of the time it's worth mashing the no button

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

This is a hilariously bad random green

Only registered members can see post attachments!

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Arzaac posted:

Incidentally I had an unfair run I thought was dead in the water today and then uh

Turns out, Right 3 Blank is actually ridiculously easy to deal with? Blanking out 3 sides sure sounds bad, but since those are the bad sides for most heroes, its mostly just a mild loss in consistency. For 9 curse points I basically just played normal mode, but with moderately shittier heroes. Broken heart is also pretty easily dealt with, just put it on your Warrior/Defender and they can self shield through most things. This was one of my breeziest unfair runs.

The build itself wasn't anything crazy, but things sure did end up synergizing really well over time. Viscera is kinda nuts for a tier 3 item, all you need is a source of shielding and it ends up being a ridiculously high damage nuke that doesn't even kill the hero its on. My Gladiator with Shurikens and Eye also ended up fantastic, because the Stoic and Surgeon (thanks to Karma) had self shield sides, meaning he was frequently doing 6 damage ranged hits. The surgeon, for that matter, also performed extremely well due to her items; not only did all her sides heal and/or shield herself, they also grew the dice of the entire team thanks to Botany. Plus like, Operate is just such a fantastic panic button. My Dice died turn 1 against the dragon, but who cares, it was back turn 2.

Also, side note, I came away from this with a decent appreciation for Doom Blade. 3 damage death sides seem really unappealing, but there were a surprising number of times during the run where it was an extremely effective play.

Big self death sides are amazing - I just finished a generate run where I had an amazing green that had a massive death side, a blue reuse side & a grey that stopped death. With my cantrip reroll sides I could consistently get a couple of hits in every turn with it. Nearly first-turned dragon with it.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Vegetable posted:

It’s totally bogus that my Twin can equip an item that makes his dice awesome (it made him copy the dice of another character) but his twin won’t get the same dice. What gives? What’s the point of a twin if it’s not really gonna twin?

This also applies to things like rain of arrows - I gave it the keyword that gives a random keyword each turn + double use and hooo boy that was confusing when all the keywords shifted (and multiplied) every time you used it

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Cheating sleeves is so much fun with duplicate sides

code:

`{d:{l:{m:[Alpha,Wolf]},m:[Versatile^4,Monster Hp Down^2,Reliable,i.Handcuffs],n:4,p:{e:[Emerald Shard,Pendulum],h:[y2.d5a,r1.eac~Handcuffs,y1.dd8,n2.978~Anchor,n1.45d~Iron Heart~Cheating Sleeves]},sl:1},p:["2{}",3],s:1355540,v:3018r}`

Edit: and it got sillier:

code:

`{d:{l:{m:[Saber,The Hand,Saber]},m:[Versatile^4,Monster Hp Down^2,Reliable,i.Handcuffs],n:20,p:{e:[Pendulum,Emerald Shard,Twisted Bar],h:[y3.8c0~Ghost Shield~Anchor,r2.512~ritem.2334~Longbow#Extra Pocket~Erythrocyte,y3.9e0~Obol~Sickle,n3.ccb~Hourglass~Iron Heart~Cheating Sleeves~Triple Shuriken,n3.190~Handcuffs]},sl:1},p:["2{ps:[!lr3.9f7@3lr3.4ce@3lr3.564@3lr3.b54@3lr3.a4d@3lr3.34f@3r3~1~l@3ss]}",3],s:00442311,v:3018r}`

norp fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Please please please I know it probably gets said a lot but a menu option for turning off the reroll limiter. Please.

Make it unlock after 125 achievements or something, I don't care, but I'm hunting for the last few achievements on stuff like Generate-Unfair, and having to play through so many completely non-viable runs where I roll only heroes that want to kill themselves or roll only the worst curses, even only to stage 3 in order to reroll, is really killing my motivation. There is no worse feeling than wasting time on a run that's going nowhere just to have the possibility of maybe getting one that could go somewhere.

Isn't that what a palate cleanser heaven run is for?

The "re seed" trigger is not per mode so doing a quick run on something else is the best answer