Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

I looked high and low and couldn't seem to find a rum thread here on GWS so here we go! Do you love the funk? Do you drink wrey and ting like water? Got some cool nerdy bottle to share? Post here with any dumb poo poo you want to ask/say about rum.

Why do we love rum? Isn't it a poo poo-tier spirit for college kids and blender drinks?
Well, yes... but also it's a super versatile booze that can be anything from super clean drinking, to fruit-forward and pungent, to smooth and buttery, to grass-clippings and catpiss. This variety is due to the myriad of regional traditions of rum making that sprung up through the lovely history of colonialism, even two adjacent islands (or hell, two halves of the same island) will make rum that is totally different. Also a lot of rum tends towards a complexity that is only rivaled by mezcal and baijiu. Whereas with high end brandies and whiskeys you're often looking for something smooth and easy, the high end of rum tends to embrace the funk.

Isn't rum super sweet? It's made from sugar, right?
All booze is made from sugar. Yes rum comes from sugarcane byproducts, but that doesn't make it naturally sweeter than any other type of booze. The flavor of good rum is determined by a few factors: the terroir of the sugarcane, the type of sugarcane product used (molasses, sugarcane juice, sugar like a psychopath), the method of yeast culturing, the type of still used, the aging (or lack thereof) and the climate it is aged (or not) in... all of these variables create the most versatile spirit in the world from a flavor point of view. Usually if a rum is noticeably sweet then it has a heavy dosage (added sugar) which is a practice that originated in cognac and has carried over to the rum world. A lot of people are snobs about it but it doesn't mean the rum is bad, it also doesn't mean the rum will be super sweet either if done well.

Isn't rum just for mixing?
No. But I'll gently caress a daiquiri right up too, don't get me wrong.

I heard that rum labeling is super misleading and that age statements aren't to be trusted.
Yup. Rum is still super unregulated in most markets, with notable exceptions being Martinique, Guadeloupe, Jamaica, Demerara, and hopefully soon Barbados. I'm sure I missed some GIs in there, if I did kindly let me know.

What are you drinking right now?
I'm starting my day with a nice room temperature glass full of the high-octane-cat-pee-and-wet-paint-tasting wonder that is Hamilton Saint Lucia 2005 9 yr. Clocking in at 134.8 proof. It's not the fanciest but oh boy is it funky. If you like hosed-up tasting rum then scoop this one up while you can. From my understanding the 2005 juice is the last release that Hamilton is sourcing from that distillery but you can find saint lucia distillers products under different brand names like Chairman's Reserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

Four square products are a drat delight. I'm digging the Australian release from plantation's recent reserve release. It's super mineral tasting. Nice charcoal sort of dirtiness. I recently started digging into Clairene. Those can be awesome if you're chasing the funk.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

If you like Smith and Cross check out Hamilton Jamaican Pot Still Gold or Black, a little lower proof but incredible funk.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

Transcontinental Rum Line just put out their new lineup for the year: 2013 Australia, 2012 Worthy Park (Jamaican), 2011 Panama, 2014 Fiji. I'm tryna get my mitts on that Worthy Park bottle for sure. P sure the Australia is the same juice as Plantation's Australia single origin release from this year. I'd be shocked if it wasn't.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

Not fancy but finally tried the worthy park Rum Bar white over proof. ~$15 for some nice Jamaican stank.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

Santa Teresa is a good one, I think I have a pin form them somewhere. Recently I've been enjoying the Denizen 3 yr. Solid rum for cheap. At work I've started an in-house rum blending program which has been pretty fun.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

The Funk huh? Sounds right up my alley.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

Spuckuk posted:

Ting is weirdly great with gin as well, grab a bunch.

Tequila as well. Makes a hell of a Paloma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

Yo, I just tasted Ak Zanj Haitian rum and good goddamn lord it's a delight. Cool branding too, if you see it definitely cop it.