Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Pure Posting Sugar

How many house plants do you have? I have:

-Spathiphylum
-Begonia Rex
-Pilea cardierei
-Pilea peperomioides x3
-Tradescantia 'Nanouk'
-Cissus rhombifolia
-Gibasis
-Episcia 'chocolat' and a copper leaved variety
-Chlorophytum 'Curly' and a plain green one
-Euphorbia milii
-Philodendron 'Birkin'
-Philodendron 'Red Diamond'
-Philodendron cordatum
-Philodendron 'Shangri-La'
-Philodendron 'Selloum'
-Peperomia polyobytria
-Anthurium
-Syngonium
-Maranta
-Monstera adansonii
-Clivia minata
-Ficus elastica
-Kalanchoe
-Zamioculcas Zamifolia
-Dracaena marginata
-Phaelaenopsis x 3
-Ardisia elliptica
-Coleus
-Sansevieria/Dracaena 'Fernwood Mikado'
-Aspidistra
-Coffee
-Oncidium orchid
-Some weird rusty colored Snake Plant but its just a cutting

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HungryMedusa
Apr 27, 2003

We had to move all of our plants to my husbands office because of the drat cat! Including a really big jade plant he was taking chunks out of. Jerk!

The exception is a ficus elastica that was my husbandís grandmaís. We have kept it alive since her death 8 ish years ago. It was pretty well established when we inherited it so I reckon it is maybe 15 years old. It became a gangly out of control beast, so I am trying to propagate a cutting or two from it to keep it alive for grandma. I am keeping it safe in my bedroom.

I wish I could have more, but the cat will not let me. He is a plant seeking missile that can destroy one in seconds.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Pure Posting Sugar

Oh, a good way to propagate the Ficus elastica would be to do something called "air-layering". I'd look up a tutorial online but the gist of it is removing a thin layer of bark around one of the branches that'd you'd like to see become its own tree and (while it's still on the plant!) then packing some moistish soil around the area with the removed bark and then wrapping it up up with plastic/garbage bag or anything else that would effectively trap the moisture in.

Roots will eventually fill up that little soil ball and from there, the branch can be removed and the whole thing planted up.

I have a budgie that goes after the spider plant. He has a specific "I'm eating house plants" song so I know when he's up to no good.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Pure Posting Sugar

There's some pictures.

Pilea peperomioides

Other kind of Pilea I have

Ficus elastica. It's very bushy and I'm proud of it.

Episcia #1

Episcia #2

Philodendron 'birkin' closeup. Needs more light.

Ardisia elliptica. This thing needs to be replanted every few months.

Coleus, he's on his third year.

Syngonium, the ugly plant!

Curly spider plant

HungryMedusa
Apr 27, 2003

Those are some really nice plants!

I will have to try the air layering method! I followed a guide that just had me using rooting hormone on a cutting, but there is plenty of gangly ficus left to try all the ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Hi! As we're winding down collections this fateful thanksgiving, I hope y'all will join us in the Horticulture thread over in Hobbies, Crafts, and Houses!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3951612