Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

So apropos of basically nothing in Part 6 itself, I will be putting my (non-existent) chips on the squares "The villain is going to be Moriarty" and "Zenigata and possibly Lestrade arrest Moriarty for the crime of being Moriarty by the end of the series".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Xelkelvos posted:

No one kill Zenigata though

I'm pretty sure if you tried to shoot him he'd just headbutt the bullet and start ranting even louder.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Come to think of it, why were 2 and 3 so long compared to literally everything else anyway?

I assume it was just because it was a successful show with a premise that could easily run as an anthology series (like the original manga I believe) into perpetuity back in a period when anime timeslots weren't worth their weight in gold and farmed out years in advance. Part 4 and onward came in the period where there just aren't as many shows that can run forever, as a result I imagine someone in the production of part 4 made the call to engage in SOME serialization as a result of only having two cours for it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Not a bad Fujiko episode this week. Considering we’re in the 20’s now and they’re still doing one-shots does that possibly mean we’re getting a slightly longer season this time around?

Not necessarily. The Holmes storyline totaled 6 episodes in its entirety with the rest during that time being one shots. The current storyline about Tomoe has had four episodes so far, so I could easily see them wrapping it up in a two or three part finale. Anime chart claims 24 episodes, and I can believe that.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

So, having now seen the finale and looking back on the series as a whole, I have to say that the show pitched as "Lupin the 3rd versus Sherlock Holmes" was not the season of Lupin that I would think would've ended up as being, reflective meta-commentary on itself, but here we are: Art-house Lupin III.

Because after considering this season as a whole I think that's where we are. It wasn't just Sherlock Holmes showing up, the whole show spent a lot of time futzing about stories. Part one not only had Holmes and his assortment of associated literary characters, it also had the episodes by Oshii which most directly tipped the show's hand. Putting aside the obvious first episode by him where the cast spend 15 minutes reenacting a Hemingway story we also have him finally cashing in on the idea for the movie of Lupin III he wanted to make a while back which was going to be explicitly meta-fictional. And in and around that half of the show there were a bunch of little grace notes nodding towards previous Lupin entries, with him mentioning the two previous Sherlock Holmes he dealt with and the episode about Jigen getting a new voice actor and all the other times they talked about stuff Lupin had done sometime previously offscreen and are only being shown now if at all.

And then they brought it to the front and center in the second half with Tomoe which, in hindsight feels extremely meta-fictional. Suddenly we have a character who may or may not be Lupin's mother, a person who not only stands as a retcon (or at least a new and previously unmentioned addition to a main character's back story) but who has the ability to alter people's memories, i.e. she can almost LITERALLY retcon people's history. The end of the series also reveals that instead of the usual string of one shots in between plot episodes the whole second half of the show was actually all plot important episodes as their presence was part of an incredibly circuitous plan to capture Lupin, an act that throws a net over not just the nature of the title character but the nature of the entire show itself.

But of course Tomoe fails, Lupin shakes off her influence and excises her from the show and cut ties from her and her intruding continuity. Then he goes the extra mile and explicitly throws the final plot thread she offered into the fire and is done with it, choosing instead to very deliberately reject serialization and stay with the tried and true immortal and classic elements of the show.

Final thoughts? 4/10. Intriguing and weird, and obviously it still had a number of great episodes, but this season felt like it was lacking some certain spark of mania. I think Lupin is at its best when there's a kind of excitable childishness to it. I think it needs some kind of connection to the vibe of the old playground cops versus robbers feel. There's a little of that occasionally, and there's also the classic Lupin style bait and switch where the show thumbs its nose at the audience to be cheeky, but honestly I think the show just took itself too seriously. I think you could definitely do this kind of story or play this kind of meta-fictional game or be self-referential about the franchise's long history and its inherent connection to literature or the way it bootstrapped itself into being what you could honestly call a "classic", but come on, laugh a little!