Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Post itt if you didn't make it past admin vetting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Can we make vagueposting a probatable offense.

Denied. In a reversal of fortune its now illegal to post specifics

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

wow, cant believe they made THAT a rule

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I don’t think the mod should be rewriting posts

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's a really stupid idea to ask the mods to just edit posts. Who knows what hosed up and sick stuff julias could have me say in this post

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

i dont think SA has a history of letting people volunteer for forums power

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

Nobody who could wants to, and nobody who wants to should.

SA has a weird idea that modship is a prestigious status meaning the majority of people who want to be mods are complete freaks.

I can name two mods in recent memory that posted CP from adtrw alone lol

It worked out so well with koala's march.

Acerbatus posted:

He tries to pretend he had nothing to do with it now but you saw the poo poo he allowed in the vtuber thread, right?

Your weird grudgeposting is excessively odd given your post history, and I really wish you would stop posting like a creep, cuntellectual

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

He’s said that he doesn’t want a vtuber thread until there’s a second mod, which the admins are working their asses off to select

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ibble has been traumatised by cum and will never ik another tuber

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

We had Toby on irc

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

But seriously though, the issue we have here is that you took a situation where people were talking about vtubers sometimes in the chat thread. Then when snail made a couple of low effort threads you decided that rather than returning to the status quo, the correct decision would be to make matters worse. This is all a problem of your own making.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Patware posted:

Yeah, we once again come down to: the problems in vtuber posting are by and large being caused by specific people, people that can easily be identified by having multiple probes from the vtuber thread alone. It's not a very hard solve. It is a solution that will get a lot less aggravation than what we're doing now (unless of course the problem is that someone else entirely is yelling at Julias to not allow a vtuber thread that is in turn not going to show their face here)

you can yell at someone else soon

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I think there is an issue with some of the deep vtuber fans where they're extremely enthusiastic, incapable of chill and unable to realise how their posts may be read. Recent events may have been stupid but the complaints weren't entirely baseless either, it wasn't all non-adtrw regulars that were the problem.

the whole thing reminds me of the forum resection to bronies all those years ago, and there's an saclopedia entry thats particularly apt.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

quote:

There is a new My Little Pony cartoon recently. Somebody posted a thread about it in the TVIV claiming it was better written than most kids' cartoons (in a still-for-little-girls way, not an Adventure Time way). The creator even said it was designed so that you didn't have to be a little girl to enjoy it, although to be honest if you're looking to appeal to all audiences don't write loving My Little Pony cartoons. Originally I think most people thought it was a joke post, like that thread about the new series of Power Rangers from a while back.

Then some people actually started watching the cartoons, because it's Alright To Do That. And then more people did and suddenly people were saying "whoa, this show is actually really good!" and then they started raving about it and buying themselves avatars. Bear in mind that this cartoon still isn't written, like, say, Earthworm Jim or Rocko, where everyone thinks it's great because of allegories and references or because he's a worm in a suit. It's a show about ponies doing girl things like having prom or arguing about hairstyles. Some people even got all uppity about it, buying avatars that say things like "Ponies. Problem?" like we're the ones who are weird for thinking it's creepy for mature male adults to really, really enjoy My Little Pony.

Anyway, the upshot of all this is that a forum full of twenty-somethings who are usually known for being horribly cynical assholes about everything suddenly went My Little Pony crazy in a completely unironic fashion to the point where anyone who made fun of them in the thread got shouted down and I think a few people got probated. It was like something out of the loving Twilight Zone. Really, really out there and surreal and unusual.

Eventually somebody stepped in and banned all My Little Pony talk in TVIV. I've sat here for the last couple of minutes staring at that sentence, wondering if it's a real thing borne of real concepts. I mean, think about it. The SA Forums got incredibly worked up about My Little Pony cartoons to the point where mods had to say "any new threads about the My Little Pony cartoon will be gassed and the posters will be banned". There is now a forum rule specific to My Little Pony. I'm still not entirely convinced that the whole thing wasn't entirely in my mind. There remains, for me, the possibility that I'm sitting in an empty room at an asylum, wide-eyed and touch-typing forum posts on the plaster of my wall, hallucinating an entire internet community, unable to distinguish it from reality except in these moments where my neurons get all frazzled up and accidentally throw in a complete non-sequitur like a sudden influx of My Little Pony zealots. That, for me, is as reasonable an explanation for what happened as the idea that it all just happened like I described it.

replace with relevant vtube words

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Roth posted:

Breaking my lurking to embarass myself by saying that I've enjoyed the MLP cartoon and fanart for over a decade and have not heard this phrase uttered once

been saying it about pinkie pie on the daily

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Posting about hype, epic baps on the anime forum is justice

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The problem wasn’t necessarily people being horny because I didn’t see a lot of that, it’s the fact that people are just really loving obsessive about the tubers and just hunt for drama. In a thread that should be like funny clips or links to streams that aren’t fetish tier lists, we got epic speculation about rushia’s mental health instead.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Crime on a Dime posted:

You have "only trust your fists" as part of your identity and youre snitching to authority?

This goes for you too Captain Baal..

"Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant
'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven'

Such is the rule of honor"
Great post, keep it up :)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lots of fail posts itt

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Asklan posted:

Do you imagine VTubing is the absolute nadir of anime culture? Who knows what we'll be making QCS threads over in seven years.

This isn’t qcs

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Dig up, stupid

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Someone start the kpop thread

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is this the death snail? Because that means Fluffdaddy has a million$ to spend! :ninja:

As a point of clarification will it be okay to post vtuber adjacent content in the relevant threads? I had originally asked Baal but I imagine I should ask you, I've been having a project for the past month of where I've in preparation for a dungeons and dragons campaign I've been commissioning art for the prominent NPCs and as eastereggs they're basically references to vtubers but redesigned as fantasy rpg characters. When I'm done I was hoping to share the results in the anime art thread; would that still be fine? Baal's explanation was that as long as I avoided turning the thread into discussing vtubers it would be fine, would this still be the case?

I really wanted to share it when I was done with my fellow anime goons :ohdear:

If you post it in tabletop games then it’s that mod’s problem

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It is a thing that I may lol at but I won’t know until you post them in the tabletop forum

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Fluffdaddy posted:

So one of the projects for this sub that's been a long time coming is refreshing some of the ancient threads.

The recommendation thread dates back to 2015 and I think it is time for a refresh.

I will also get started on the spring 2022 anime thread.

I have no intention of changing anything here but I do think a few megathreads need some love.

Honestly the old threads are fine and I’m sure Julias will make the spring thread in due course. We don’t need projects here.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ok maybe a recommendation thread can be made by a regular, but there’s no need to make e.g a dbz thread unless there’s like a new season of super or whatever.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I’m hooting and hollering at my slowed down ava.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Is Karen on strike?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Should be this fast

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I mean the admins not wanting a vtuber thread to exist is kinda inconsistent with the fact that there’s been one for several weeks with a fyad mock thread. I think it’s not unreasonable to guess that a thread in a grey forum with a mock thread in another forum may eventually generate a larger issue, and perhaps nip it in the bud one way or the other.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I don’t think a vtuber thread can exist at the moment for various reasons including the fact that I think it’s this decades equivalent of bronies, but the fact that trouble was brewing was obvious at the time and this has been the case for a lot of avoidable forum blowups lately.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 21, 2022

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The trolls weren’t really FYAD. My point earlier wasn’t a whine about that subforum existing. My point is that the presence of a mock thread there about something on SA often means that there’s something that needs moderation. This is fundamental pattern recognition that seems to elude the administration on this site - if something is getting mocked then it needs to be looked at because if left alone it will escalate. This has literally been a thing since at least the low carb thread.

There is an issue for the grey forums that when individuals decide that they want to repeatedly troll in an unfunny way there’s very little ability to pushback on it. This isn’t a new issue, but you see someone come in with an unfunny post, eat up to a day, then they’re back when the probation expires doing the exact same thing. Moderators either don’t seem to be supported to ramp up the troll toll, or are perhaps deterred by the fact that if they give someone a ban+30 that the persons crew will make a scene in qcs. In time this give rise to the complaints that posters from the non-grey forums are “protected”.

Whoever is picked to be the full time mod here needs to know that they can request a ramp and have the support of the admins. If they don’t feel supported, they’ll burn out.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 21, 2022

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Homeless Friend posted:

you have to stop posting sentences like this asap. mcgonagall is deducting points from adtrw as we speak

Slytherin gonna win the house cup

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Nyanners’ extensive post history

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

There’s not much point talking about the actual vtubers itt. Fluffdaddy is less likely to see pertinent points and mod feedback if he has to scroll past a debate about whether we should treat Nyanners’ post history as a potential indicator of character or whether it’s ok to accept that people can change.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

And as a general point reducing this to sick adtrw perverts vs the trolls and bullies of fyad also means that all we get is a reductive conversation

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Namtab posted:

Lots of fail posts itt

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It’s a pity fluffdaddy has gone to bed and/or work because everyone still litigating vtubers pro vs con needs a day off

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Have you seen k-on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mugi is pretty good.