Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Klyith posted:

That's not really counter to a shortage though? The truck drivers are feeling great, but that's what it looks like when there's more demand for truckers than trucks on the road.

And while the shortage persists the guys in the industry will feel like "everyone wants to be a trucker" cause like duh, they're making bank. Eventually enough people will become truckers, or the demand for shipping volume will taper off, and it'll recede to normal.

There's effects like this in economics from things that are "price insensitive". It's like, if you can't move your product to where it's sold, you can't sell it. If I have a truckload of oranges in florida that I want to sell in NY for $100k, how much should I pay to truck them there? Well, if the alternative is the oranges rot and become worthless, I should pay anything up to like $99k because getting $1k is better than making nothing.

I will build an orange pipeline to NY and undercut all truckers.

There Will be Juice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
gas is about to hit a buck fifty a liter in toronto

THANKS BIDEN

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

rad daddy o posted:

I will build an orange pipeline to NY and undercut all truckers.

There Will be Juice.

Hear me out. We can build an expansive and expensive underground series of tubes across the nation, centralized in citrus growing and citrus demanding areas. An Internet of Citrus, if you will. Through these tubes, we can send the citrus to where it is needed, faster :awesomelon:

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Chief McHeath posted:

Hear me out. We can build an expansive and expensive underground series of tubes across the nation, centralized in citrus growing and citrus demanding areas. An Internet of Citrus, if you will. Through these tubes, we can send the citrus to where it is needed, faster :awesomelon:

Cornering the market of last mile citrus. I like it

Time to work up a pitch deck.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Chief McHeath posted:

The taps in my kitchen will be Hot - Cold - OJ - Tomato

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

I’m going to start my own store that has everything I want

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

I’m going to start my own store that has everything I want

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Klyith posted:

That's not really counter to a shortage though? The truck drivers are feeling great, but that's what it looks like when there's more demand for truckers than trucks on the road.

And while the shortage persists the guys in the industry will feel like "everyone wants to be a trucker" cause like duh, they're making bank. Eventually enough people will become truckers, or the demand for shipping volume will taper off, and it'll recede to normal.

There's effects like this in economics from things that are "price insensitive". It's like, if you can't move your product to where it's sold, you can't sell it. If I have a truckload of oranges in florida that I want to sell in NY for $100k, how much should I pay to truck them there? Well, if the alternative is the oranges rot and become worthless, I should pay anything up to like $99k because getting $1k is better than making nothing.

Mulch the oranges and write them off on your taxes or mulch the oranges and accept a fat agricultural subsidy from Uncle Sugar.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Klyith posted:

Sure, I guess. What I mean to say is there are the same amount, if not more truckers today than there has been in the past five years. It's not a shortage most places are seeing like restaurants and retail where they can barely keep 2 people around when they need 10 or more minimum. It's a shortage because more poo poo needs to get moved today than ever before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

hell, i’ll eat those oranges if you don’t want em