Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Chubbier-than-I-want-to-be human poster here

I have been and been with very skinny and rather larger persons, so I feel I can contribute

I would like to point and laugh at the idea of making a clothing pattern and then just multiplying it up and down as though the proportional changes are .... proportional.

This is like a music keyboard sampling one real note and bending the fucker all the way to the other end of the scale. No.

I have a bit of a belly but my shoulder seems don't need to reach my elbows, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Concave Assed Fatty is a decent username

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

teen witch posted:

Double post but it’s fine: dudes of all masculinities how is plus size (whatever that may be) work on your end? Is it just a madlibs of proportions?

Big and Tall

If you are a fat belly man you get sleeves to the floor

There is no Big and Short section

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

teen witch posted:

As someone who has seen more xxs in stores than xxl, what the hell. There are teeny dudes let ‘em wear dece fitting clothing they will pay you!!!!!

It's also so dumb that persons of all genders and shapes are described with such a tiny number of size options.

Men's Pants, two numbers, ok, not terrible but sometimes the waist to crotch area is too short and tight.
Dress shirts, neck size only? Maybe sleeve length as well. Nothing about how big around your chest is, let alone any gut that may exist. I guess everything is proportional for everyone, right?

Womens clothes are even stupider. A single number. Ok. 14. lmao at thinking that describes even a slim majority of people. So dumb.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think anyone is suggesting it's a conspiracy

I mean, except in the sense that capitalism is itself an open conspiracy against every marginalized group

It still loving sucks though, even if it's only passively lovely rather than being explicitly targeted

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ArbitraryC posted:

I've just seen this particular point crop up constantly online "why don't they form fitting clothes for overweight people like me? If anything I'm average for modern times, clothing companies are just fatshaming", the fashion industry has always had a pretty narrow margin for form fitting clothes. When designer denim was a huge thing on ylls (before it was even called that), all them hot Japanese selvedge or however it's spelled manufacturers sold em uncut at a 34" inseam so you could hem/cuff em to your own preference, I'm 36" lmao. It's not about me and it's not about you, people turn this sort of thing into examples of social injustice and persecution and it's just a narcissistic outlook on life. No one is intentionally designing clothes not to fit specific people, specific people just have dimensions that are niche enough it's never gonna be a mainstream pursuit.

You're definitely arguing against points the people you quoted never made.

I mean it IS actually a social injustice, albeit a low tier one, and you're definitely wrong that no one is being intentionally exclusionary.
Many designers are ideologically opposed to designing for certain body types. BUT THAT'S OK, I'm not playing a victim. It's one of the less powerful crushing banalities of consumer capitalism. And certainly not all designers are like that, and no one is saying that they are

I realized as a small child that one (or sometimes two!) numbers is a stupid way to describe the fit of clothing and I think it would be easier for a lot of people to have more information before they purchase or try on clothing. That doesn't even mean the clothes need to be different!

It's a complicated business to be sure, humans come in a wide range of sizes and shapes and economy of scale means the most needy will always have the worst choices.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

The Only Man That Ever Bought His Wife A Good Bra.

Your username will be revered in song and story for generations to come

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Because a safe-space for people to complain about something they have 100% agency to control, seems ripe for the picking. I lost 27 lbs over the past 5 weeks with zero exercise (bedridden) due to pure dietary adjustments. It’s insulting to hear people lament about how their situation is seemingly unavoidable. Maybe I should’ve posted this in the conservative opinions thread.

Not every conversation needs to be about every facet of every topic. It's ok to have a carve out so posts like this don't drown out the conversation other people want to have.

That does come dangerously close to actually belonging in the conservative thread. Let people talk about themselves and their experiences without it being about you. There's a very All Lives Matter feel about needing the conversation to encompass YOUR concerns and opinions. I don't know if that was your intention but this isn't the thread for that, there are plenty of others to post in.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Was going to post this.

Goon tested
Goon approved

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Ayyy contrition in GBS! Great job folks!

I'm not loving around, that's actually great that we handled it mostly like adults.

Anyone got good tips for avoiding your temptation foods? I'm a slut for fried mozzarella and spicy chicken sandwiches.

I don't want to stop eating them completely, just get a tool to help re-order my thinking about those food items so I don't treat them as A Precious Thing I Must Devour.

This will not work for everyone, but gamify it or turn it into a currency

One way is to give yourself a monthly/weekly reward of a food you love if you manage to do [task] successfully all week. Actually mark it on your calendar each day if you did it, then you earned your thing.

If you don't like that, just decide how frequent you want it to be and give yourself a literal currency like a poker chip or whatever that you can physically see and feel and "spend" to do/eat [thing].

Like I said, garbage to some, but very helpful to others

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Anne Whateley posted:

There's a whole forum for diet tips

Well my suggestion is more than a diet tip, because it can actually help with other mental illness or motivation issues by encouraging you to do a thing you really do want to get done, and simply using that in conjunction with a reduction in a specific food (or type of food) you know you have an addictive relationship with

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

YeahTubaMike posted:

I hate Queen AND I hate Fat Bottomed Girls so I agree. If there is a hell, it's just subway performers performing Fat Bottomed Girls and Bohemian Rhapsody over and over and over, on a subway train that I can't get off of.

Very, very frightening!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

teen witch posted:

The one good thing is my access to affordable healthcare is better, and lead me to getting help for my ED.

Poisoned by capitalism and therefore TV commercials as I am, I read this as Erectile Disfunction every single time have a brief moment of surprise and then realize what I've done

Every. Time. :xd:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Not that it really has any bearing on how a person feels or feels about themselves, or even their health, but remember that BMI is a tool designed for describing populations not individuals. The bell curve is what it is, but with the population of a large nation a good many people are going to be on the outer portions of it and may be "healthy" at weights that BMI fails to describe. Body shapes vary widely.

It's a useful tool but it is overused because it is simple and easy

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Being too heavy is definely not medically ideal and you should care about the health of people you care about. BUT you shouldn't hound them or be cruel and in the case of personal interactions with strangers, coworkers, or acquaintances you should mind your own goddamn business.

I don't know what it is about weight that makes people think their advice is being solicited or welcomed in random situations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fashionable Jorts posted:

New research is showing that being overweight has next to no health issues. Being sedentary is likely the leading cause of death in humans. A fat person who goes for an hour long walk every day is going to live longer than a person at "perfect" body weight but doesn't get off the couch.

There is an issue that fat people tend to live move sedentary lives, as one often causes the other.

This isn't the place to go deeper with this and I agree with your general point about physical activity vs a sedentary lifestyle but I did say "being too heavy" which I will freely admit is basically a tautology but there is definitely such a thing as too much weight to be generally healthy - for an easy relevant example, it's the single biggest comorbidity factor for covid deaths other than extreme age, suppressed immune system, or being a dumb chud

But again, this isn't that thread and none of that is a reason to be disrespectful, cruel, or dehumanizing to us fats.

Most of the nicest people I know are the fattest ones, come to think of it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I agree that there is not enough science on this but I'm not going to ignore the science that does exist because of personal anecdotes or because I want it to be different or "feel" that it is.

I suppose this is pretty meta at this point since is supposed to be a thread about living as a fat person and my original comment was about how people give you unsourced medical advice and it is indeed happening to me right now!

When they first discovered a link between sodium and hypertension, the causation was unknown and so the best medical advice was to reduce your intake. We now know that salt does NOT cause hypertension but the feeling and constant mistaken advice that it does still lingers on strongly with many people. We may well be in a similar situation regarding HIGH weight and the innumerable medical conditions that it is linked to, but until that is proven, it makes sense to act on the best data we have.

I say all this in no way to attack fellow fat people, just as TW said that "fat" is just a factual descriptor, so is this. I hope that is abundantly clear.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

And the newer science that exists, since science is a wild thing that keeps developing, says otherwise.

Genuinely, no sarcasm, got any links? Preferably to metastudies?

I have yet to see more than a few toe-in-the-water outliers here

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Being sedentary may be worse than being obese

"Using the most recent data on deaths in Europe, the investigators found that 337,000 of the 9.2 million deaths of European men and women were linked to obesity. However, twice that number of deaths could be linked to a lack of exercise, the scientists added."

The full study:

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/101/3/613/4569416
Thank you. I appreciate you posting this, but this study doesn't say what you seemed to me to have been claiming (that sedentary nature rather than obesity is the health problem and it's disguised because of the group overlap)

Both "normal weight" and obese people saw a benefit from exercise, both compared to baseline for their weight. And even then, the non-fat folk who were already at a much lower risk benefitted more even as a percentage!

I fully agree that everyone should be active and move around, and this science should be taken seriously, but it says absolutely nothing about there not being inherent health risks to being very overweight.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bismuth posted:

This is how you know those shows are scripted, no human being would look at those and not immediately know something was wrong/identify it as a fat suit

I mean idk if I'd jump to fat suit but it looks more like a birth defect/disease than just being gay

That was a swypo and I'm leaving it
fat is right next to gay and guess which i must swipe more

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My mom is thin as a drat rail and my dad and I try to get her to eat more calories because she's in her 70s and immune suppressed and if she gets sick she has zero drat reserves

She buys gross diet everything and makes recipes without the butter and salt so it's "healthier"

She's a very nice lady and not an idiot in any other way but damned if she isn't brain poisoned by anti fat culture

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yes fat chicks!

and dudes and non-binary froods

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AHH F/UGH posted:

I'm pretty sure people used to be thinner because they just didn't eat as much and have access to food as readily as people do now though, not sure what that tiktok video is on about

It's a valid point that fat people have always existed.

It's not a valid point that cheap mega calorie dense food has always been readily available like now.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Anne Whateley posted:

The interesting thing is that lab animals, fed strictly controlled diets with no McDonald's in sight, have also gotten significantly fatter over the last 40-50 years.

What

Seriously, what

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Being fat was a desirable symbol of wealth and being upper "I don't actually work" class

That's no secret.

I'd love to see how environmental contaminants affect thermodynamics, though. Like it may well be that excess energy is stored and retrieved in slightly different ways with extra pathways making it harder to lose weight than it once was. That's possible. You still don't gain it from anything other than excess calories or water retention though, unless you can photosynthesize or pull it from subspace

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

curlys gold posted:

The whole chicken is the cornerstone of feeding yourself well for cheap. If you’re buying chicken parts, you’re loving up.

For many people the extra expense is easily worth the saved time

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kntfkr posted:

My mom's last research job before she retired from science/working was an obesity thing for BMS and I went in with her during a take yr kid to work thing and she had all these fat little mouses that were bred to not get full and they were cute.

Unless I misunderstood the claim, it was that something was making the same calorie input create fatter animals than at some point in the past, other things being equal.

Which is definitely an extraordinary claim that I'd love to see evidence of!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Well it's going to take some time to read that second link but some of the "mysteries" seem pretty sketchy from a skim. No judgement yet.

The first one, concluding that animals living near humans are fatter, doesn't really describe a mechanism and the parsimonious explanation would seem to be eating the scraps of the same modern foods at issue with humans themselves. If we've bred food animals and plants to have higher caloric density for our own purposes, it would also affect other creatures. I've certainly seen fat squirrels but they're usually digging in trash barrels for leftover french fries instead of acorns.

There's no proof that there isn't a fat virus or something, but I also can't provide evidence that sunspots or feng shui aren't at fault, or unicorn farts for that matter. I'm going to remain suspicious of extraordinary hypotheses without some extraordinary evidence.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Azuth0667 posted:

IMO the goons whining about moral failings and personal responsibility are the same goons that are mad GBS banned the hate fat people thread.

To the goon whining about there being no evidence supporting virus induced obesity here you go: https://journals.physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/ajpregu.00607.2005

That's a peer-reviewed moderate impact journal so please shut the gently caress up about it.

No one is whining about it as far as I can see.

I did say that it would take time to read what was posted and I was very interested in seeing the evidence. Are you calling that whining?

Frankly, I also didn't see anyone calling it a moral failing, because I don't recall seeing anyone making a moral judgement about fatness. No one has said being fat is immoral. Unless it was an isolated post and I missed it. The discussion has been pretty even handed and positive so far, with only a few blips.

I personally had a fatsperience just yesterday with having to choose between "tight as a sausage casing" and "long as a TNG dress uniform" for a new polo I had to get for an event at work

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

serious norman posted:

It's fat to be fat, imo.

Please
Hand me
A
Taco

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

See, most of us are able to read between the lines and understand the meaning behind comments like "Seems like some copium imho" when pics showing fat people existing in other eras were shared.

:rolleyes: I guess I have a lot of growing up to do.

Your fashion choices are 100% your fault/doing/responsibility, within the boundaries of your means, but it is an amoral issue. No matter how good or bad your outfit is, how fashionable or frowned upon, it is not a "moral failing"* or a triumph of virtue on your part. Even if someone wants to make the (wrong) argument that being fat is completely a matter of personal choice, that does not automatically inject morality into it.

I personally think that montage was sweet and could be helpful but that the argument it was making was a bit off the mark, a bit like people going on every single sunday show to complain about being deplatformed. Those pictures were obviously pretty easy to come by. The wider media doesn't show them that much but they don't show people that look like that NOW very much either. The existence of some number of fat people in the past says nothing about whether people are, on average, fatter now.

*Unless you wear a swastika or something obviously

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Anne Whateley posted:

It's probably the part where I showed you the evidence, and then you said it was bullshit on the level of feng shui and unicorn farts, and then I showed you a mountain of completely mainstream (JAMA etc.) evidence and you ignored it

none of that happened, sorry

I am working a full time job and have not yet read 90 pages of scientific paper for my own interest. I did however mention that it would take time to read, and that I was grateful it was posted and interested to read it when I had time.

I did give my initial reaction to some of the headings that I had only skimmed (and said as much) in an acerbic gbs fashion and I apologize if I wasn't clear enough that this was not an out of hand dismissal but rather an initial reaction to SOME of the headings in the fluff section of the research. I do think I was plenty clear enough, mind you, but am willing to concede that I may not have been.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah sorry TW it was not my intention to poo poo up your thread

teen witch posted:

Ok let’s change course?

In other news I’ve decided to describe my body as a “Crumbian monstrosity” but I’m not entirely convinced it works. How do you describe your body

lmao

I mostly define myself as Out Of Shape

but, you know, round IS a shape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy