Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Waterbugs 2.0 eat coral and fart oxygen, but are also microscopic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I feel like almost all of these lifeforms are entirely too advanced if we're starting from scratch lol

(We are bullshit aliens trying to hurry everything along, no poo poo were gonna cheat lol)

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

The Lavaworms can't survive if we want this place to actually have a stable atmosphere. Giant, ubiquitous pools of lava tend to gently caress with that.

What we can do is evolve them to live underwater and hang out in hydrothermal vents.

Leave the Magsnails, they'll die out on their own after the magma is gone.

Magmasnails can probably survive underground or in active volcanoes tho.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Rotfeeder: Basic bacterial life, feeds on discarded biomass, poops out fertile dirt

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Status report on moon slime?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

I'm not actually supposed to be here, you guys forgot to drop me off last time I got abducted.

Well, I've been here for too long now, everyone back home is dead. I'm just lucky the food seems to make me immortal.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Evolve Sphereoops so they metabolize the atmospheric sulphur into something less harmful.
Do we have any Silica based life form we can introduce into Secunda? take 1 silica lifeform, modify it into 2 subspecies, 1 that can graze on the Moonslime and 1 that works symbiotically with it to spread across the moon.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Status check on the atmosphere?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

the Boss posted:

We only had enough spare crystals for a single armoured specimen (most of them went to the various moonslimes), so we added a few extra eyes to compensate - Not sure how that will work out, but the gengineers report with 93% confidence that nothing currently alive could pierce its shell, and have started a small betting pool on how long it will last and how many creatures it will kill in its lifetime. Maybe we should name it something special? That way it would be a monster, not a crab! And that's ok!
How about Sillacoid? Or does that break the Ethereal trademark law?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

What resources do we currently have that would be useful for the current stage?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Well we already have Stinkgrass.
How about a simple stench berry bush, it extracts nutrients from the sulphur heavy ground and creates very stinky berries that have a deeply sweet flavor that attracts grazers (to spread it's seeds) while the stench repels parasites?

Also, an upside down tree. It grows from the underside of overhangs, and curves back up to reach the sun.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Monolith in the Sporest!
Unmonolith in the Icecaps!

Also, i know we don't have much time.before we need to enter the time warp, but if what we want is to curb the spread of Crabs, we need to look into what other planets do to keep them down: smash their shells. The biosphere is too early to sustain avians yet, so we should do the best next thing and modify one of our predators to have a blunt, hammer-like claw that they can use to break the long, fragile crab legs.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Kristopher posted:

gently caress the client, the Crabby Longlegs aren't going anywhere, those things are a work of art. Anything that might cause that divine form to evolve away needs to be stagnated.

What do you mean? Don't you remember the last time we allowed a planet to evolve too many crabs? I still have nightmares about the crabpocalypse.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

As for the Beast of burden, that can live in the Suplphide Ice Caps too? Well, it will live in the cold artic zones so it needs to have some of the typical cold adaptations.
the animal has to be BIG, FURRY, be able to STORE FAT. Which of our old mainstays can evolve for that?

I present to you, the CRYOMAGMASNAIL! We've reduced the necessity for fur by using our old magmasnails, Increasing their size, and made their body heat flow faster. It is specifically adapted for cold weather, as the high heat in their foot interacts with the ice and snow on the icecaps to quickly slide around. We've modified their digestive system to be able to more easily digest the heavy sulphur flora that lives under the icecaps to fuel its inner fire instead of using magma, and it can focus the inner fire on its front to dig under the caps and reach the flora.

We're trying to figure out the proper adaptations to store the refined sulphur in its shell so that its flesh can be edible for standard sapients.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

AJ_Impy posted:

As for a predator, A Hermit Bear which shapes its mobile den out of coral and secretes enzymes that negate its toxicity, striking from ambush.
Oh bad idea. We had some kid play with the gene interface last planet and ended up making a Bearcrab. We had to sterilize the entire system and start over from scratch. We still have a few samples in cryo if we need a super predator

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Good news everyone! Cryomagsnails now roam the icecaps, striping it and releasing toxic fumes into the air, that we had just cleared of stink! Wait, is that good news? Oh well, they are very cute in their own, slimy and also hairy way.

I have something for that, I checked some of our records and found some samples of this old worklemur! A Toxofungo! It is a variable size mushroom that absorbs many kinds of both air and ground toxins to grow, although they never grow too close to one another for some reason. The more toxins, the bigger they grow! Taking in account the stench of this planet and the sulphur everywhere, they should become very big!
This should even be useful for our future sentients, since they could use the fungal stipe much like wood is used in many civilizations!

*Should be noted, Toxofungos are, however, restricted in certain civilizations due to their capacity to refine poison! If used on sustances more toxic than suplhates it will not only grow larger but refine the poison in its core!

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Let's do something fun. The largest Pterosaur was the Quetzalcoatlus, with an 11 meter wingspan! Let's do some mad science and splice it with our Swinesoars, who adapted to eat the shrooms on our last visit. This should lead to a bigger, hungrier, flying-ier Quetswinecoatl!, Who should be able to work alongside other herbivorous megadinos.

Tho I would REQUEST someone makes at least one able predator so we don't end up eating all the herb life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Slaan posted:

Chief, the Peabill is obviously the best candidate for pushing the button! It has the charisma and beauty to push that button while looking great for our clients auditing team's time cameras. Itll give us some cover on this whole situation as a PR stunt instead of an oopsy. The tail is also pretty enough to charm any would be predator into not attacking it, ensuring the mission success

With this, the Diplodoofus can hug the Crabby Longlegs' legs off, the Quetswinezoatle can chew through the outer shell of Moonschroom and our Spinnydae can help open a way through the gooey path, even fight off anything that may lay under the 'schroom