Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, that's a weirdly unintuitive ruling. Like the instinctive reading is you get your HP/hit dice/spells back because you got a full night's rest, so why wouldn't that work for elves even if they 'sleep' less?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Elves should sleep more because they live longer. 3 day long rests but maybe they get a few more spell slots or something.

blackcross
Apr 10, 2005

TotalHell posted:

Hilariously, this is not actually the case. They get the “same benefits of a human who slept for 8 hours” but this is also “not intended to replace a long rest.”

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-september-2015

So an elf does not get the benefits of a long rest until 8 hours are up, despite only needing four trance hours for “sleep.” Completely confusing nonsense from WotC on this one.

They actually changed this.

https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/SA-Compendium.pdf

quote:

Racial Traits

Does the Trance trait allow an elf to finish a long rest in 4 hours? If an elf meditates during a long rest (as described in the Trance trait), the elf finishes the rest after only 4 hours. A meditating elf otherwise follows all the rules for a long rest; only the duration is changed

I guess because it makes zero sense having a 4 hour trance elf still needing an 8 hour long rest and they finally realized how stupid that was.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

blackcross posted:

They actually changed this.

https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/SA-Compendium.pdf

I guess because it makes zero sense having a 4 hour trance elf still needing an 8 hour long rest and they finally realized how stupid that was.

Oh thank god. I always hated that ruling.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

TotalHell posted:

Hilariously, this is not actually the case. They get the “same benefits of a human who slept for 8 hours” but this is also “not intended to replace a long rest.”

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-september-2015

So an elf does not get the benefits of a long rest until 8 hours are up, despite only needing four trance hours for “sleep.” Completely confusing nonsense from WotC on this one.

I don't understand all the consternation over this, given that the language usage is perfectly clear. You don't take a "long sleep," you take a "long rest."

PHB 186: "A long rest is a period of extended downtime, at least 8 hours long, during which a character sleeps or performs light activity: reading, talking, eating, or standing watch for no more than 2 hours."
In fact, RAW, you become exhausted when you can't eat or drink, but not from lack of sleep. Taking a long rest does allow you to recover from 1 level of exhaustion if you were able to eat and drink, though.

If you trance for 4 hours, then you still need to spend 4 hours of "light activity," including no more than 2 hours on watch, in order to complete the long rest, and you can't benefit from a long rest until you have completed one. A human doesn't need to sleep for 8 hours, either, and the rules expect at most a "6 hours sleep, 2 hours watch" in a party of 4 PCs, with one PC on watch every 2 hours. Given that previous editions often led to bizarre 11+ hour sleep cycles to allow everyone 8 hours sleep plus have a watch set, this was obviously intended as an improvement.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Antitonic posted:

Probably not going to get a single thing correct, but excited to watch eventually once timezones and prior engagements finally finish. Maybe December some time? Fingers crossed!

Turns out, not only am I absolutely terrible at maths, I’m about as bad at reading my own schedule. I just have to wait until Saturday morning like it’s a cartoon. So that’s nice.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Huh. I’m pretty sure that’s not how Matt ruled it for Essek that one time, since it’s what had Laura making the joke that the whole party should be elves.

I've seen at least one other podcast DM rule it that way, too. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the way most people play it.

Also if I were the only elf in the party I'd be pissed at always getting 4 hours of watch duty every night.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Narsham posted:

I don't understand all the consternation over this, given that the language usage is perfectly clear. You don't take a "long sleep," you take a "long rest."

PHB 186: "A long rest is a period of extended downtime, at least 8 hours long, during which a character sleeps or performs light activity: reading, talking, eating, or standing watch for no more than 2 hours."
In fact, RAW, you become exhausted when you can't eat or drink, but not from lack of sleep. Taking a long rest does allow you to recover from 1 level of exhaustion if you were able to eat and drink, though.

If you trance for 4 hours, then you still need to spend 4 hours of "light activity," including no more than 2 hours on watch, in order to complete the long rest, and you can't benefit from a long rest until you have completed one. A human doesn't need to sleep for 8 hours, either, and the rules expect at most a "6 hours sleep, 2 hours watch" in a party of 4 PCs, with one PC on watch every 2 hours. Given that previous editions often led to bizarre 11+ hour sleep cycles to allow everyone 8 hours sleep plus have a watch set, this was obviously intended as an improvement.
It's a dumb RAW. People associate long rest with sleep because it doesn't make sense that sleep is technically never required.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Senjuro posted:

It's a dumb RAW. People associate long rest with sleep because it doesn't make sense that sleep is technically never required.

one of the few rulesets i actually wish matt would re-read if he's going to keep doing the super-survival-heavy rests constantly getting interrupted thing he relied on towards the end of S2

it'd be better to just not rely on that at all, because it's annoying, but the whole "you couldn't get 8 hours of sleep" thing was extra-annoying

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

eke out posted:

one of the few rulesets i actually wish matt would re-read if he's going to keep doing the super-survival-heavy rests constantly getting interrupted thing he relied on towards the end of S2

it'd be better to just not rely on that at all, because it's annoying, but the whole "you couldn't get 8 hours of sleep" thing was extra-annoying
It's clear that he was struggling with challenging the party near the end. Hence the inability to rest, the completely overpowered intuit charges, and Lucien's at will antimagic cone that dispels magic instead of just supressing.
He didn't have that problem with Vox Machina for some reason despite them reaching higher levels and often being called overpowered.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Hulk Smash! posted:

Are the 3 other names misspellings of "Mica"?

I know its probs going to be Mica but I put Will Friedle anyway because one of my favourite Talks moments is him trolling Brian with his mini primetime ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7C9z-bbeOM

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Dragonstoned posted:

I know its probs going to be Mica but I put Will Friedle anyway because one of my favourite Talks moments is him trolling Brian with his mini primetime ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7C9z-bbeOM

I guessed Mica, and I do like her, but I honestly think I’d prefer Will Friedle.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Liam going to step outside his comfort zone with this brooding melancholic antihero being broodier than normal.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, that's a weirdly unintuitive ruling
Friend I have some bad news about how the way 5th Edition Dungeons and Dragons works

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Dragonstoned posted:

Who's gonna be the Tortle?

I have my prediction as Sam as a Tortle Druid

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

It will be weird to see Sam with a (potentially) normal-sized drinking vessel.

Which is why I think he might be a kobold.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

TotalHell posted:

It will be weird to see Sam with a (potentially) normal-sized drinking vessel.

Which is why I think he might be a kobold.

Maybe he'll go the other way, and have like a tiny rear end mug that he refills a lot and be a goliath.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Senjuro posted:

I’ve never gone 24 hours without water, but I have been dehydrated, and I have gone two days without sleep (and several weeks with less than 8 hours of sleep per night). Dehydration was much worse.

I haven’t seen anybody confused about short rests, which don’t require sleep at all, although I admit the Catnap spell exists.

It mattered in C2, and as others have noted, it’s unclear why Matt relied on denying the M9 long rests anyway.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Having just now watched the set reveal, C4 is going to be just a volume set like Mando.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
C2E001 had low 100ks concurrent audience. What is everyone's guesses for C3E001?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Want them to be sent out into the desert to find some artifacts. One of which is a stargate. Spelljammer things ensue.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Twenty-twenty-twenty-two hours to go, I wanna be sedated~

I went for Mica for the Talks host, but belatedly I realised what I actually want is Mica and Will both, in a Conan O'brian/Andy Richter setup for Talks.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

TheFinalCountdown.wav intensifies

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Dameius posted:

C2E001 had low 100ks concurrent audience. What is everyone's guesses for C3E001?

The final episodes of season 2 had between 650k-1.9M views, so I'm gonna guess we have an easy 1 million. At least until after the characters are all introduced and people start bailing when they don't like someone's choices.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I’m excited!!!

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
Here I was, thinking I’d just be a genius and get the number off the YouTube video of C2E1. I don’t think 14M+ is a fair, or accurate number to compare to.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Antitonic posted:

Here I was, thinking I’d just be a genius and get the number off the YouTube video of C2E1. I don’t think 14M+ is a fair, or accurate number to compare to.

Yeah, that one is lifetime views. To be fair, the numbers on the Twitch vods may also include people who watched after it aired, but they're only 6 months old compared to the numbers off episode 1.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Senjuro posted:

It's clear that he was struggling with challenging the party near the end. Hence the inability to rest, the completely overpowered intuit charges, and Lucien's at will antimagic cone that dispels magic instead of just supressing.
He didn't have that problem with Vox Machina for some reason despite them reaching higher levels and often being called overpowered.

My theory is they're trying to keep episode lengths down, but to challenge a seven person party outside of bosses, you need a lot of enemys which slows down the combat a lot and they want to avoid all-episode combats and/or six hour episodes

Just a guess

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Dameius posted:

I'll be curious to see how many people watch on twitch VS youtube for the premiere more than anything, I'm gonna be going youtube for this whole season if possible.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I'm gonna go with.. 90k concurrent for EP 1

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Bounced off C2 somewhere around the midpoint I think (late 60s episode wise) for some reason I don't even remember. Obviously finishing it by the time C3E1 goes up on Youtube on Monday is basically impossible, so is there any point late in that makes for a good jumping in point? If not, I'll just do longer catchup between C3 eps and stuff.

No formal predictions for C3, but Sam better play a Wild Magic Sorcerer. He might be the only one who can make that work!

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
It's Thursday Yet! Also:

Paracaidas posted:

:siren:CONTEST PREDICTION FORM IS LIVE:siren:

Responses must be submitted by 7PM PT on Thursday!

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Lotus Aura posted:

No formal predictions for C3, but Sam better play a Wild Magic Sorcerer. He might be the only one who can make that work!

Or a wild magic barbarian. :v:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Nemo2342 posted:

The final episodes of season 2 had between 650k-1.9M views, so I'm gonna guess we have an easy 1 million. At least until after the characters are all introduced and people start bailing when they don't like someone's choices.

Overlord K posted:

I'll be curious to see how many people watch on twitch VS youtube for the premiere more than anything, I'm gonna be going youtube for this whole season if possible.

I'm going to guess peak concurrent across all platforms, including theater tickets will be somewhere around 500k +/- 100k. I realize that is a fairly big swing but I just can't make up my mind which way this will go. I think closer to 1m as a peak concurrent is maybe possible but also poo poo that just sounds so outlandish for a bunch of nerdy rear end voice actors playing D&D.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Come ooooooooooon Tortle PC

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Dameius posted:

750k across platforms

Lotus Aura posted:

Bounced off C2 somewhere around the midpoint I think (late 60s episode wise) for some reason I don't even remember. Obviously finishing it by the time C3E1 goes up on Youtube on Monday is basically impossible, so is there any point late in that makes for a good jumping in point? If not, I'll just do longer catchup between C3 eps and stuff.
As you've probably seen, the endgame arc wasn't met with universal acclaim. If you're planning on catching up anyway, I don't know that there's much need to skip ahead in advance of C3 (though I'll be sure to post, with spoiler tags and after tonight's airing, any episodes from mid-late C2 that are immediately relevant in C3E1)

For my favorite stretch you've missed (light spoilers):
In C2E93, Laura becomes a god, which leads to Jester learning more about her god in C2E94, which leads to Marisha learning that Matt is a genius in C2E102. This was probably my favorite non-Pirate run of the campaign.

If you are looking to bounce in around the endgame, C2E132begins the exploration of Aeor, which had the feel of Matt loredumping everywhere in a way that could be relevant for C3. From there it's the bodyhorrorish endgame that worked for some and really didn't for others. A quick note that the actual finale is like 7 hours long because lol

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

After seeing this, I'm hoping they announce tonight that Paizo backed up a dumptruck full of money to their studio so they are switching back to Pathfinder.

character buffing guide for the hardest difficulty level on the latest Pathfinder CRPG posted:

Sample buff routine for melee (Monk-based):
Mage armour (self-cast)
Magical Vestment
Shield (or some other shield AC spell)
Heroism (Greater)
Good Hope (if available)
+Stat spell as needed (depending on the gear)
Echolocation
Seamantle (if available)
Foresight
Freedom of Movement
Magic Weapon (Greater)
Crusader’s Edge
True Seeing
Geniekinds (if Barrage)
Firebrand (if Barrage)
Frightful Aspect
Sense Vitals (if available)
Improved Invisibility
Mirror Image

For example as a Lich we’d also add False Grace, Vampiric Blade, Power from Death (cast with 8+ corpses around), Blessing of Unlife, and Negative Eruption in the first combat. For Shield spell we’d use Bone Shield, as that’s just more AC. Then in combat we’d obviously add Marks, songs, Guarded Hearth, and Freebooter things as needed.

For a caster, go with Mirror Image, Invisibility, Greater Heroism, some temporary HP, and call it a day. Casters don’t need much buffing; it's just an abusive play-style.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

bagrada posted:

After seeing this, I'm hoping they announce tonight that Paizo backed up a dumptruck full of money to their studio so they are switching back to Pathfinder.

Given how not well Starfinder and Pathfinder 2.0 have done, I doubt Paizo HAS a dumptruck full of money anymore. The wheelbarrow full of loose change they do have probably isn't enough to move the CR dials any. Not compared to D&D Beyond money, anyway.

e: And anyway, if they were to do that, they'd want CR to play Pathfinder v2 which is NOT the game you're remembering, so you wouldn't get that regardless.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Also Pathfinder rules are (or were, I've not kept up with the latest versions) horribly crunchy, and just awful in general. If we're dreaming about them playing other systems I'd rather them go for one that's narrative based, rather than tabletop war game based.