Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Fearne is great, Dorian is :geno:

... but on the other hand, I'll take it over another sadboi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

So any guesses or hopes for what the team name will be? I think "The Silent Bell" would be a good one.

The Mighty Tein, obviously.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Teddybear posted:

Reckon we get Travis today?

Nahh, they’re gonna gently caress around and do everything EXCEPT go pick up Travis completely unintentionally.

Just like last time.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Lid posted:

My phone was like "we see you like Critical Role heres something you might enjoy" and linked me to this

https://www.dicebreaker.com/topics/critical-role/opinion/critical-role-love-has-died

Yeah i don't think so fam.

... do they know fantasy at all and how nearly all of it is taken from real world inspiration?

Allow me to be somewhat skeptical of an article like from *checks notes* another Actual Play channel that likely sees themselves as scrappy independent underdogs competing against the 800 pound gorilla brand.

Which like, they very well might be, I've enjoyed a few things here and there from Dicebreaker, but still.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Chiwie posted:

Didn't they do a poo poo ton of due diligence by hiring sensitivity reviewers and the like for this campaign?

Yes. While I’m sure there are valid criticisms, this really feels like yet more of the same old cycle of left-leaning communities cannibalizing themselves over relatively minor differences, because it’s much more satisfying to yell at someone that’s slightly wrong who agrees you might have a point than someone that’s much more in the wrong who’s just going to tell you to go gently caress yourself.

Like, could CR have been slightly more considerate of these issues? Yeah probably. Is this worth even a tiny fraction of the sturm und drang over it when there are vastly more pressing issues? Not really.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Nowhere did I say that people shouldn't complain about whatever gets under their skin, or that bigotry in various forms is not a problem. I even said they probably could have done better! I would be in support of them replacing the potentially-problematic elements of the video! And yes, it's good to understand your own biases and poo poo! But like, dogpiling on an organization that's pretty good on these kind of topics (not perfect! Nobody is perfect on these issues! There is always room to improve!) is not terribly productive. Note that one individual expressing their concerns is not dogpiling, I am not saying the original poster should not have said what they said. But by the time it gets to the point of "yeah Matt says he wants to get out of public view because of the constant harassment", things have gone farther than is really reasonable.

And your post is a really great example of the kind of leftists-eat-their-own-over-minor-differences stuff I was talking about. It's really weirdly aggressive and puts words in my mouth that I did not say at all.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
It is now Thursday yet.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Fearne is the best. Holy poo poo.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Senjuro posted:

Seeing what the reaction to EXU was, I don't envy them. Which isn't to say the reaction was entirely unfounded, the show was a total loving mess, but even under ideal circumstances such a transition is going to be incredibly rough.

I think that’s exactly why they’re kinda slow-rolling it with EXU. Start small, figure out what works and what doesn’t and give folks time to get used to it. Campaign 3 is likely to be 2-3 years long, that’s a long time to make incremental changes before they even have to (publicly) answer the question of campaign 4.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

DaiJiaTeng posted:

I only watched the first episode of EXU and never really had time to watch it all. How was it a mess? Was it kind of that thing where its the fault of no one in particular, but everyone didn't really groove together well?

I really enjoyed EXU but there’s a couple things I can think of: 1) the plot was a bit of a mess, at least in part due to the player crew being ridiculously high chaos and Aabria being very much a go-with-it kind of DM. I think this would have worked better in an environment less constrained by number of episodes, and 2) the vibe between the players wasn’t always great? Sometimes it was, a few times it seemed tense or something. I think this would settle out with time, I think a big part of that was a number of the players being extremely new to D&D.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Of course Dariax’s rabbit was named Cat.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

queeb posted:

My not favs:
tal going from such a great character in caduceus to ashton is a real shock. probably my absolute least favorite character in any of the campaigns.
imogen is just kinda flat so far? I mean its real hard to follow up Jester but maybe she'll get better as time goes on.
FCG is also just kind of there, i was really intrigued when they showed him at first but i imagine sam has some stuff in his backstory that will shake it up.

I think Ashton just kind of hasn’t found his groove yet? Imogen has some interesting background stuff, I wonder if she’s intentionally not a strong a personality as Jester to give the others an opportunity to play more of that kind of character.

I sort of see what you mean with FCG but also if you pay attention to what he says that little robot has some major fuckin’ issues man, and those are gonna come out to play sooner rather than later I think. He’s gonna do something stupidly self-sacrificial and they’re gonna have to go save his rear end.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Dexo posted:

Age of Arcanum is just gonna be Eberon lol

This is WAY higher power level than Eberron.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
This episode is an hour of killing everyone and five hours of The Adventures of Travis Willingham, The Only One With Enough Sense To GTFO

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Boy, it’s gonna be real bizarre in 30 years when Critical Role Land is a real place and the waiters do this

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

lemonadesweetheart posted:

It probably would've wiped them all out.

Given Aeor’s (spoilers for EGtW) seeming speciality in bioweapons, especially diseases resistant to divine magic, I’m guessing they figured out (or were very close to figuring out) how to infect a god.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I had to look it up (thanks Crit Role Stats!) and spoilers in case anyone doesn't want to know for the next episode

FCG has at least 2 diamonds worth 300g for 2 revivify casts, and a diamond bracelet worth either 300 or 500g for a 3rd. Assuming he has the spell slots for it he could get everyone himself, even Laudna in the worst case scenario. And if not, Fearne always has revivify prepared.

I can’t wait until FCG successfully revivifies both dead PCs, but the second one triggers him and he ends up killing one of the PCs.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Matt knows his players won't abandon fallen players if they have a choice. The players quickly decided to scatter and run. Matt heard that and knew that the players had decided to run. He had Otohan decide to go after and KO characters who were running away, who were leaving the fight. That's on the DM. That's not on the players. The DM is supposed to balance between having foes behave "realistically", and also ensuring a good experience for players.

You’re right, that is the DM’s job but like… there is a limit. This really feels (like someone else said) Matt hung a giant “BADASS” sign over Otohan and had her try to talk to them, and even be verrrry slow to engage in a fight. In that situation I would have no compunction about just letting my players have that fight, which would have been aimed at “doable with a good plan or good luck but really loving hard”. Which is about what it seems like they got.

Matt going hard for killing blows is indeed new, but justified in-world and, with consent from the players that I could very easily see this group giving, entirely within the realm of “a good D&D game”, just a different flavor than they’ve gone with before. They did say to expect the unexpected. I wouldn’t want every fight like that, but given that this seems to be a pretty big bad they ticked off, it seems reasonable to me.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Quinton posted:

Campaign 2 really is full of so many incredible things, even if it is a rather intimidating block of content to consume. I started watching while it was still underway (and laid up with a fractured ankle, so a good time for TV watching) but eventually despaired of ever catching up. After it finished I've been returning periodically to slowly work my way through to the end, and it's finally getting within sight.

Campaign 3 is certainly its own thing, but it's also the first that I've watched since episode 1 and have been able to avoid falling behind on -- enjoying it in "real time" is a fun experience.

C2 has a few parts that drag pretty hard and could be skipped to reduce the load in catching up as well, especially near the end.

In particular, I'd recommend just skipping from the end of the TravelerCon arc in 112 to 133 where they really go toe to toe with the Tombtakers and actually enter Aeor. That's a good 20 episodes where, more or less, a whole lot of nothing important happens as the gang spins their wheels traipsing around Eiselcross. There's a few important things that happen in there, but that's like 3 things in a good 80-100 hours of content and can easily be picked up from context.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
This is definitely the gang going “okay we have our own mini media empire now, let’s do whatever weird poo poo we think is cool”. I have no idea if it’ll work out, but I’m glad they feel comfortable taking risks.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
So Critical Role just effectively announced their plans to move away from D&D.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ynl9weMWb8&feature=youtu.be

Okay, what they actually announced is that they’re publishing two new RPG systems, one aimed at short, plot-driven games (EXU, anyone?) that’s universal (Dimension 20? They’re getting closer and closer these days…) and one focused on long term fantasy campaign play (duh). Also, Critical Role adventures is “on hold while we focus on these new projects”, I.e. “until our new systems are ready to go and our contracts with WotC run out”.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I think Matt is aiming at a position you can argue from a reasonable place; fundamentally it’s “there is no such thing as a good dictator, only less tyrannical ones; let’s break out the guillotines and drat the consequences” writ large, which… when you have a set of gods that are known to be fallible and have interests which are not necessarily aligned with humanity is a position I can see being persuaded by. It obviously has the same problems as everything in that genre, but it is a position someone could conceivably arrive at without being a Saturday morning cartoon villain. Especially if you’ve gotten used to the ultra privilege of having magic for centuries. I don’t think Ludinus is right but I do think he’s got an understandable (if ultimately evil) position.

It’s just, you know, I like Big Thinky Philosophical Villians as much as the next DM but the tabletop ain’t really the greatest space for the nuances of their positions to come out most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Lid posted:

Critical Role has scrubbed everything with Brian Foster except his introducing the cast for live canon main shows. This includes the Honey Heists, Undeadwood, and every episode of Talks.

Understandable given the circumstances, but man the Honey Heists are a loss. Those were hilarious.