Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

:rolldice: Twitch | Youtube | Video Archive (Campaign 3/4 Sided Dive) | Podcast Archive (Campaign 3/4 Sided Dive) :rolldice:

Looking for the legend of the thread of The Legend of Vox Machina? It has its own thread, right here!

:siren: This is a livepost thread for Critical Role Campaign 3! The only use of spoiler tags is for leaked content, and for old campaigns! Siren markers will be used when a new episode starts so you know when to stop reading! :siren:

:frogsiren: Campaign 2 spoilers were untagged between Nov 17th 2022 and Dec 8th 2022, as well as between Oct 26th 2023 and Nov 2nd 2023 for discussion of Mighty Nein Reunion episodes. Please be cautious while browsing! :frogsiren:

Welcome to the CR C3 thread, where a bunch of nerdy rear end goons sit around and post about some nerdy rear end voice actors who sit around and play Dungeons & Dragons. Not sure what Critical Role is? Read this! Or keep reading this thread!

:hmmorks: Who are these nerdy rear end voice actors?!

Chances are, you've probably heard them just about everywhere! Your main cast is...

MATTHEW MERCER: your DM of the session. He keeps the narrative going, builds the world, plays hundreds of NPCs, and allegedly has slept once or twice in his life.

LIAM O'BRIEN: your extremely dramatic theater nerd is ORYM, the halfling fighter.
He's previously played the half-elf rogue Vax'ildan in C1, and the human wizard Caleb Widowgast in C2.

TRAVIS WILLINGHAM: your extremely large man scared of haunted houses is CHETNEY POC O'PEA, the gnome blood hunter and rogue.
He's previously played the goliath barbarian Grog in C1, and the half-orc warlock Fjord in C2.

LAURA BAILEY: your extremely superstitious dice queen is IMOGEN TEMULT, the human sorcerer.
She's previously played the half-elf ranger Vex'alhia in C1, and the tiefling cleric Jester in C2.

SAM RIEGEL: your extremely unhinged ad-copy reader is FRESH CUT GRASS, the aeormaton cleric.
He's previously played the gnome bard Scanlan Shorthalt in C1, and the goblin rogue Nott the Brave in C2.

MARISHA RAY: your extremely dangerous chair-climber is LAUDNA, the hollow-one sorcerer and warlock.
She's previously played the half-elf druid Keyleth in C1, and the human monk Beauregard in C2.

TALIESIN JAFFE: your extremely long lived eldritch being is ASHTON GREYMOORE, the earth genasi barbarian.
He's previously played the human fighter Percival Frederickstein von Musel Klossowski de Rolo the Third in C1, and the tiefling blood hunter Mollymauk Tealeaf in C2.

ASHLEY JOHNSON: your extremely talented actress from NBC's "Blindspot" is FEARNE CALLOWAY, the faun druid and rogue.
She's previously played the gnome cleric Pike Trickfoot in C1, and the aasimar barbarian Yasha Nydoorin in C2.

along with many guest appearances!

:hmmorks: How/when/where do I watch these shows?!

They're available in VOD and pocast form in the links above! Broadcasts air live on Thursdays at 7pm PST on both Twitch and Youtube and typically run anywhere from 3-4 hours, though there's no set episode timer.

VODs are available immediately after broadcast on Twitch for subscribers (:fivecbux:/month or free with Amazon Prime) and on Youtube the following Monday at roughly 12pm PST. Podcast episodes are available one week after broadcast.

You can also check here for a countdown and start times in your local timezone!

:hmmorks: What's Dungeons and Dragons?!

D&D is a tabletop roleplaying game, currently on its 5th Edition (5e.) Depending on the group, some place more emphasis on the game or the roleplaying aspects, and sometimes focus on both -- ranging from very seriously, to very casually.

Critical Role is unlike your 'average' group, with dramatic character performances from voice actors and the expansive homebrewed setting of Exandria, concocted by a veteran DM who knows the rules inside and out.

The setting of Exandria also appears in official D&D books, including the C1-inspired Tal'dorei Campaign Setting (out of print, new edition available soon!), the C2-inspired Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, and Call of the Netherdeep.

:hmmorks: What's 4 Sided Dive?!

4 Sided Dive is the group's new monthly format where four of the cast discuss large chunks of the campaign, answer questions, pull from a chenga tower, and do some other weird bullshit! It features more in-depth character analysis and dumb tangents!

This new show is the evolution of the previous show Talks Machina, which used to be hosted by some idiot.

:hmmorks: Do I need to watch the old campaigns to understand what's happening in this one?!

Possibly! While campaign 2 remains relatively self-contained and had the cast engage in a no-spoilers policy, campaign 1's events are far more directly referenced in 3, and will spoil some major events!

For Campaign 1, it's recommended you start at episode 28 after the player Orion's departure. If you'd like to read about the associated drama, you can do so here.
You may also want to view the pre-episode 1 history, from when C1 was just a home game!

If you'd like to start campaign 2, the first 19 episodes are hosted on Geek and Sundry's Youtube channel, but you can follow this full campaign Youtube playlist instead!

:hmmorks: What if I ain't got time for all that?!

You can also check out the Critical Recap series of animated short videos recapping C2, or The Legend of Vox Machina animated series (coming 2022) covering events of C1!

:hmmorks: What about all these other shows?!

Critical Role also creates many (sometimes sponsored) one shot adventures! These can be a perfect place to test the waters and see if you like the format of the shows.

There is also an on-going series called Exandria Unlimited where guest DMs and players intermingle and play shorter adventures in the same world as the primary campaigns!

They also create completely unrelated shows and content, like a Let's Play series strung together by a bizarre narrative involving puppets! You can find such gems on their Youtube channel.

:rolldice: Other handy resources: Written recaps | CR Transcripts | Stats & Character Sheets :rolldice:

Abroham Lincoln fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Senjuro posted:

Maybe add the C1 pre-stream summery to the OP?

You bet your rear end I will!!!

If anyone has other resources they think should be in there lemme know. I tried to cover everything I could think of related to the main show.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Paracaidas posted:

Any interest in a prediction contest for new characters (races & classes)? If there's desire, I can throw together a quick form and put up a couple av certs for the winners.

:yeah:

Even without certs I think that'd be really fun

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

They've talked about how advanced the new set is and I fully believe they could give Sam an actual real soundboard

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Those are both good suggestions! I'll add a section for anyone who doesn't know about D&D and put some links to the CR books in there.

I do like some recommended one shots too, since it's also how I got into the show to begin with. The Terry Crews one I remember really liking because it had a beginner's perspective and showed the rolls+modifiers on-screen. Maybe the Darrington Brigade as well, just because it's possibly the best one shot they've ever done. :v:

e: I also submitted my predictions and I'm excited to be dead loving wrong

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

The 4 hour elf trance counts as 8 hours of normal rest so it'd get spell slots back, yeah.

Realistically it just means you're asking your party to wait around for you extra long (a short rest is only 1 hour), or you have a lot of time where the rest of the party is still asleep - which is good for keeping watch and similar to other features like the Warforged one.

Even if your party is all elves, that's pretty much just something your DM would adjust for. The bandit ambush doesn't arrive in 7 hours, it arrives in 3 hours. :v:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

TotalHell posted:

Hilariously, this is not actually the case. They get the “same benefits of a human who slept for 8 hours” but this is also “not intended to replace a long rest.”

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-september-2015

So an elf does not get the benefits of a long rest until 8 hours are up, despite only needing four trance hours for “sleep.” Completely confusing nonsense from WotC on this one.

Huh. I’m pretty sure that’s not how Matt ruled it for Essek that one time, since it’s what had Laura making the joke that the whole party should be elves.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

They should sit around, and play Dungeons and Dragons

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Hulk Smash! posted:

Maybe something for the OP: They did a write up of What is Critical Role that goes over what it is, who's on it, starting points, social medias, etc.

I will definitely add this but also loling that the article straight up says like, "yeah maybe try listening at 2x speed"

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Lid posted:

the twist is none of these are original characters and they're literally all the people used in the Adventures of the Taryon Darrington Brigade one shot

The transcriber can't handle that many extra syllables from Marisha!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Hey, it's an art reel!

and oh my loving god this chat is flyin

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

:frogsiren: C3E1 has begun!!! Spoilers beyond this point!!! :frogsiren:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

poo poo, I got the seating order wrong :(

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Sam what the gently caress

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

:stare:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Yee haw!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Real goth hours!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

seaborgium posted:

Holy poo poo, Marisha has 5 strength?

Is there some synergy there? Seems an odd choice.

Charisma casters, you can use sorc points to get warlock spell slots back, Eldritch Blast...

:yeah:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Ooo, we got a telepath!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

JUST DON'T

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

oh my god

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

YEE

HAW

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

TV IV > Critical Role Campaign 3: gently caress off!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Pinwiz11 posted:

It will be nice for Sam to be doing the rezzing vs causing it to be necessary... :v:

Please, he can do both!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Smiley day to ya!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I can't taste.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Robbie!!!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

One of them is so pointy!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Oh poo poo they're level 3, we're really doin this!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Liam really said I'm gonna play Nancy for 3 years.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I missed Fearne so much. :allears:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

This set fuckin rules

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Blockhouse posted: