Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

The elf only needing 4 hours doesn't get spells back though do they? Like, hit points and hit die you'd be ok, but spells is specifically a long rest which is 8 hours. Unless Matt changes it, but that seems like making elves way too powerful as spell casters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

TotalHell posted:

It will be weird to see Sam with a (potentially) normal-sized drinking vessel.

Which is why I think he might be a kobold.

Maybe he'll go the other way, and have like a tiny rear end mug that he refills a lot and be a goliath.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

jng2058 posted:

Given how not well Starfinder and Pathfinder 2.0 have done, I doubt Paizo HAS a dumptruck full of money anymore. The wheelbarrow full of loose change they do have probably isn't enough to move the CR dials any. Not compared to D&D Beyond money, anyway.

e: And anyway, if they were to do that, they'd want CR to play Pathfinder v2 which is NOT the game you're remembering, so you wouldn't get that regardless.

Also their employees are trying to unionize because of the horrible working conditions/hostile environment and the multiple stories that just started coming out about it, so they've got enough poo poo they should be working on without bringing more press into their lives and burning more money.

I just want to know what the characters are. I'm pretty sure Liam is going angsty and brooding and so dark you just don't understand his pain, man, but I'd like to see some variety. I think he could pull off happy and optimistic. Him and Sam doing something similar to what he and Laura did, being siblings would be cool.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Blades in the Dark would be amazing for a one-shot/intermission campaign. Lot less rules, lot more making poo poo up on the fly and it's all about heists and demons and craziness.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Paracaidas posted:

Liam's Class: Cleric (12) -- "Sad boi bard" (1) deserves a lot of love, because I'm here for Liemo. Diceboard Confessional.

I'll admit to this, and it was a hard choice between sad boi bard and just sad boi.

Also, hell of a musical.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

I wonder how much time they spent going through stock footage for this one.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Holy poo poo, Marisha has 5 strength?

Dexo posted:

lmao Lock Sorc Multiclass

Is there some synergy there? Seems an odd choice.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

I just figured Bertram was the inciting incident to kick off the plot. He's gonna get killed in the upcoming fight, but his last words will be to "Find X" or something like that.
Travis' actual character will get introduced in the search for X and we're off to the races. Or he's out for a few weeks with something else, and then they introduce him.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

eke out posted:

jester might wander off and graffiti churches but i think there's a good chance fearne would just burn them down if it sounded fun

Yeah, it was real easy for Betrand to convince her to go inside the warehouse, and when she got there she's just this insane person who walks up and starts being creepy. She's going to be fun to watch.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Athanatos posted:

oh that is a good theory.

I also agree with Laudna being way more in on the de Rolo thing than she lets on. The rat name and then she specifically dropped that it was a raven skull attached. There was also something she said about being familair with tinkering right when talking with FCG? Maybe the hammer in her head is a tinkerer tool?

poo poo, I dunno grasping at straws just so I can come back to this post in 3 years to laugh at how wrong it is.

Kynan Leore was this in C1

The demon Percy was working with helped him build the first guns. It probably wants revenge on the family and if she was harmed by them as well, even if it's just in her head and they weren't responsible it's an easy way to get a follower. No reason the demon couldn't be working with other beings to get her power, it's not like VM didn't gently caress with a lot of people.

She's gotta have connections to the de Rolo's though.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

DeathSandwich posted:

I wonder how much of it is Ashley forgetting about it vs Matt not wanting to bring attention to Mister because he's trying to keep things under control. It's kind of a core feature of the wildfire druid and will power a lot of what she'll have access to at higher levels.

That or she changed subclasses between games

I would assume it's mostly forgetting about it, she seemed to use it to cause chaos mostly and there was enough of that anyways she didn't need it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

eke out posted:

feels like a good motivator

not so much "you killed our friend, we need vengeance" as much as "he was kind of a piece of poo poo but we kinda liked him"

"He's our piece of poo poo, we get to dump on him, not you!"

So is that Imogen's patron then? Stealing the souls of whoever dies around her or what? I know there's a lot of backstory to go yet, but that was some crazy poo poo.

Mage_Boy posted:

Matt did say after the first session that "Travis is a troll." Which makes me think that only Matt and Travis knew Betram's eventual fate even if the others knew he was not Travis' final character.

I think they knew, Robbie was setting up way too much to not know at least the basics.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Pleads posted:

Yeah Laudna is the warlock/sorc, Imogen is just sorc. So some empathic thing, not patron thing.

Still weird, I'm looking forward to more of what's happening there. I had to watch it twice because I thought I missed something, but there's not much explanation. Just a crazy thing that happened.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Rhonne posted:

How does FCG go up stairs?

Have you never seen Dr. Who? He floats like a Dalek.

Or, yeah, someone carries him. Though it would be pretty funny to have the whole group chasing someone and they have to stop and help him up the stairs before they can continue.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

redbrouw posted:

I am not paying that wizard 60 thousand gold just to get drunk and cast a cold spell once a day on the fridge, darling.

Permanence is a hell of a spell. And way cheaper than having ice brought in every day.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Senjuro posted:

Ashley aside, no one has neglected them in either previous campaign.

Main stat affects to-hit rolls, spell DC, and for non-spontenous casters the amount of spells prepared. There's also a bunch more class specific uses but these are the most universal ones.
With a low main stat you'll spend your time missing, getting resisted, and not having the spell you need prepared.
Main stats are pretty drat crucial.

Yeah, but a stat increase only increases the bonus by +1. Spells prepared is definitely a good thing to have, but feats might help a lot more than a +1 at lower levels for most everything else.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Senjuro posted:

Travis with a comedic character is bound to be great. A strength rogue though, fairly unusual.
When he says his age is 100+ I assume that's in human years? Gnomes live between 350 to 500. Scanlan started at 69 and still looked young.

Isn't there a kind of archetype for Rogues that benefits from strength though? Like a bruiser or something? That'd be a fun character, a rogue who's more of a leg-breaker kind of person.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Hulk Smash! posted:

Not really in published material. Of course this could be another Matt homebrew. Even without that though it still works, even if it's not the most optimized - which has never been a real concern with this group. As long as you use a finesse weapon, even with STR as the to-hit stat, you get sneak attacks. Shield +Rapier would work well. Or a grappler build since you can take Rogue expertise in Athletics.

Ok, it does seem like a bit of an oversight for the class, that's a pretty common archetype in fiction. Maybe it was pathfinder that had it, but I can definitely see it working great with even a few minor modifications to the original rogue class.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Based on the backer email, they got some pretty famous people to do random voices for characters in this. Also, Stephen Root.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Wyld Karde posted:

Every time I thought I was done with the "Holy poo poo, they got that person?" they trot out another big name.

Still holding out hope for Mark Hamill as Vecna come season 2 tho'.

That would be perfect, and if it makes Amazon enough money they'll be able to afford it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

hollylolly posted:

It’s replaying at 12:30 pst!

To get the code you had to RSVP by a certain date that was sometime last week. It's replaying all day too.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I remembered watching a montage clip of Vox Machina moments last year to refresh on the campaign for the show and remembered how cool "You fool, your soul is forfeit! DIE! DIE!" was but I later realized Percy blew off the coach driver's hand earlier in the same episode and him executing the Broker was him just further losing his mind and morality.

I mean, the opening credits show Percy just straight stomping a dude as blood flies off him so I don't think they're shying away from gore in the rest of the season. Vox Machina was straight murderhobos with a cool castle for quite some time at the beginning.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

I honestly thought it was going to start with someone running up and pushing someone into the lava as the first move, so it ending the way it did was very cool.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Froghammer posted:

Brennan Lee Mulligan on Critical Role is scratching a deep, deep itch

I was wondering when it was going to start. He makes some really good characters too.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Ultimate Mango posted:

Once they get those blue stones it will be full on spelljammer sky ship thingy.
You know Matt is dying for more ship combat after the travesty of C2’s ship battles.

Well, he's got a few more options with spelljammer stuff. It helps drop one of the casters in power every day, so not as easy to just blast their way through encounters. There's also the "no fire ever" thing about the space in between the solar systems that could be funny.

And if I remember right, the moon of your fantasy planet having a working space dock/station/colony is in Forgotten Realms, so having Exandria have one too wouldn't be too far fetched.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Keru posted:

Travis in campaign 1: "Oh wait I need to have a name for my character? uhhh.... G...rog. Strong..jaw."

Travis in campaign 3: "I will make the most convoluted backstory full of conspiracies and twists until even Matt doesn't know where it starts."

Also went from "Not really into romance in my D and D" to "Trying to desperately hook up with another character on a regular basis".

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

TotalHell posted:

Capt. Tommy Wiseau

Could have sworn it was Noho Hank, that's the vibe I got from him.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

I was wondering how Brennan was going to make capitalism the villain, and wanting to steal resources from the gods to become more powerful seems to fit.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

redbrouw posted:

Wonder why Asmo stopped the atonement spell. Mulligan was very specific to say that he did that.

You have to actually mean it, and I don't think Asmodeus thinks he did anything wrong. He was placed in charge of the hells, with all the attendant duties that deity would have. To him, he's supposed to tempt people and put "evil" out into the world, he's not doing anything other than his job. That's my initial thought though.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Dexo posted:

yeah, like Asmodeus is not a true name anyway.

He could easily gently caress around and have the Asmodeus of this time not actually be a terrible god, who is then replaced.

But also Asmodeus and Devils be lying.

My guess is Brennan and Matt worked around any major plot beats beforehand while Brennan was prepping his game.

Yeah, I'm sure there was a conversation with Matt pointing out things that absolutely couldn't be changed, and some things that had wiggle room or just freedom to do whatever they wanted. Critical role is too big to have someone changing stuff like who the gods are without a conversation.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

rocketrobot posted:

In Greyhawk, it was Nerull, who I think is just a fantasy analogue of Nergal. In any case, he was a complete bastard and had it coming.

Everyone always tries to off the god of death, it even happened in Faerun. Why not the god of hearths or something? It'd be way more out of left field and harder to stop I'd think.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Senjuro posted:

Being the goddess of magic in The Forgotten Realms is a much more dangerous position. She's been killed like 3 times I think? Her first death caused the end of Faerun's Age of Arcanum equivalent.

She's died a lot, she just isn't always murdered. I think the goddess of magic usually has to sacrifice themself to save the weave. But even the god of death has like 3 or 4 replacements in Faerun, so it's comparable.

And Planescape would be fun for Critical Role, same with Spelljammer.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

ApeHawk posted:

"AND I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG!!!"

I loving knew it, after the resurrection didn't work because dude was alive, atonement had to not work because he didn't feel guilty.

Also holy poo poo he's gonna kill everyone!

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Keru posted:

It's his Burt Reynolds, Esq Attorney at Law outfit.

Is he still repeating outfits from previous seasons?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Personal grounding rods so the gods couldn't smite them. and they all agreed to be atheists.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

TotalHell posted:

People were calling for a Spelljammer style game early; maybe it turns into that halfway through.

(I don’t think it will actually turn into that halfway through.)

I don't think it will do that either, but the early Spelljammer adventures did start out with a pretty standard adventure that ended in finding a Spelljammer helm or vessel that just needed some simple repairs to be spaceworthy again. If he wanted to do something like that, about now would be the time to start kicking it off.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Mylan posted:

I wonder if his stress point mechanic is a glitch that's developed over time or evidence that Aeor was making terminator R2-D2s.

Probably both, really. Aeor making useful servitors they could sell to anyone, then remotely trigger a killing spree isn't a big stretch. Hell, even better if they made them expensive so only the rich could afford them, or they were only used in sensitive areas or they were gifted to other rulers during diplomacy.

That mechanism loving up over thousands of years isn't a big stretch either.

seaborgium fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 24, 2022

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Volte posted:

Yeah, the fact that Matt went out of his way to do a mid-turn switcheroo in the middle of fighting Chetney specifically to finish off Orym felt very intentional. It's one thing if the only PC in range is down and there's no logical reason they wouldn't finish them off (e.g., Molly) but I've never seen him be quite so ruthlessly surgical in his elimination of a player before.

Maybe Liam wants to go back to his usual dark and brooding character?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

HoboTech posted:

Let's not forget that Orrym is an agent of the most powerful druid in their world and Fearne is "granddaughter" to an incredibly powerful Fey entity that loves making deals, both of which could lead to fun adventures.

Druids do get reincarnate I believe. So having Orrym come back as an elf or something is a possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

xeria posted:

Orym has Know Your Enemy, yeah. I don't remember if he used it on Otohan at any point but it requires 1min of uninterrupted study to glean two characteristics in relation to his own (out of like 7 total possible). He can't know exactly what Otohan's AC is using that but he'd know if it's less than/greater than/equal to his.

But even that is pretty general, kind of a "Much higher, about the same, much lower" level of information. And it still doesn't give you the whole picture. A 20th level wizard could easily have similar hit points and a much lower AC compared to a 10th or 12th level fighter and would wipe the floor with the fighter.