Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
So thanks to your advice I got back in PoE to do a delve and see if I can get some free unicorn shwag for making it to lvl 50. And I'm learning a bit about character building following the hexcaster something build.

I started on the opening and within a couple hours top players were getting into the 70s. I was fumbling around to about 8.

But I have improved, esp about loosening up on armor. I felt like I had to stick with energy shield armor up until ~50 where I just kept dying. Then I put a shield back up and used mixed evasion/armor/energy and I don't drop dead so much.

It really grinds my gears when I feel like I should be able to dash away or something and nothing.

this was my first reaction to checking back with this thread vvvvv
This is like the least active thing.

Should go in the PYF:PMF forum.

Dude, it's just you, I checked "who posted" before I posted just to be sure I wasn't breaking a rule.

There's some good content I guess.

Not trying to diss. It's a good OP, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

as you can't see here, I'm in the 50s

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
It's the close packing thing that was busting me. I didn't have any evasion, no armor. I was trying to be a purist for the caster build and just wear silk gloves and whatnot. After I put on some decent evasion/armor gear it became a lot easier. And my build is pretty decent from following a guide.

If I follow my instincts I'm like Kevin McAllister in a grocery store. Looking about as far as the checkout for a different toothbrush. Think I'll give this a whirl.

The best thing you can say about PoE is that you need to learn from other people's experience to navigate the tree.

The worst thing you can say is that you MUST LEARN FROM OTHERS AND poo poo'S COMPLICATED, YOU WON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND IT.

I was bugging out about a perk that was for one-handed melee 3% increase attack speed.

Parse it.

If you wield a one-handed melee weapon do you get 3% increased attack speed or do you get 3% increased attack speed for melee attack with that weapon?

So frustrating because I'm sure I know the answer is the latter. Not trying to do melee attacks with that wand but this viridian jewel is causing me a lot of frustration.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Rutibex posted:

I have played 8 leagues so far, I only ever use the Witch class and I still don't understand half of whats going on. It doesn't help they keep re-balancing everything and adding esoteric new mechanics all the time. I think thats why its interesting though, I always feel like I could be doing a little bit better.

Yeah. I just tried to watch a "simple" 30 minute video to help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stuv7-ZynOc

I made it 3 minutes in where I could understand it. By 5 minutes my head was spinning.

e: I can follow his math, the terms are multivarious and probably why people like this game

just have to know all of them, and maybe it helps to have been playing this for 8 years instead of 1

BaldDwarfOnPCP fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 8, 2021

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I saw your thread bump and know what some of these words mean.

I'm building this necro thing and it was insanely natural until I rebuilt to some https://www.poe-vault.com/guides/ultimate-raise-spectre-necromancer-build-guide

blech

I was rolling skellingtons and spectres pushed on the six slot blank armor. And trap spam and my old favorite flame wall.

Respecced to that because I wanted to have something towards late game. Took the wind out of my sails though. Spamming flame wall is not in the recipe. (don't read that poe vault stuff unless you hate fun)

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I saw your thread bump and know what some of these words mean.

I'm building this necro thing and it was insanely natural until I rebuilt to some https://www.poe-vault.com/guides/ultimate-raise-spectre-necromancer-build-guide

blech

I was rolling skellingtons and spectres pushed on the six slot blank armor. And trap spam and my old favorite flame wall.

Respecced to that because I wanted to have something towards late game. Took the wind out of my sails though. Spamming flame wall is not in the recipe. (don't read that poe vault stuff unless you hate fun)

Oh man this sounds awful but I've been using Path of Building and reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Rutibex posted:

Those builds are for people that
1) want to play 10,000 hours at end game
2) don't want to push more than one button

Playing them tends to be boring because you just hit the one button over and over. But you kind of need that to deal with the "top end" content. That being said your not gonna be able to combine flamewall and minions that's ridiculous lol :v: There are tons of different kinds of minions and some of them feel like spells. If you are doing minions you should only have minions, because all your bonuses apply to them

Yeah so what I was trying (poorly) to convey was I got a couple tabula rasa armors early on and used one for minions and minion supports. That left me with a bunch of empty slots in wand/shield/helm/etc so I just put flame wall with some supports on one. The spectres and zombies and skeletons didn't actually get much use even though I was building towards them with passives like a good player. I needed guidance on the passive tree and obviously can make adjustments to gear and gems as I go on.

In order to start following this guide I had to separate out the minions which led to needing multiple copies of minion support gems and fewer free slots for whatever.

No passives were wasted supporting elemental attacks.

e: like everything tabula rasa is a blessing and a curse and I was glad to get rid of it for armor that actually supports evasion and energy shield instead of nothing