Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I'm trying to remember specifics & it's hard. My childhood wrestling fandom kind of came in a couple of phases, a lot was from about 6 to 9 or 10, at which point I had started to get into music & preferred to spend my pocket money on that than wrestling magazines & VHS (we didn't have Sky TV growing up so didn't get to see any weekly TV, it was purely PPVs on video, usually from Blockbuster but I did own a handful). I definitely still followed WWF in '93 because I had a Hogan poster that commemorated his 5 WWF World Heavyweight Title reigns, & I remember reading about the title change back to Yokozuna thanks to a dastardly foreign photographer & being very mad so I definitely still believed then. We tried various submission holds on each other & knew the Boston Crab & Camel Clutch & even the Figure Four Leglock hurt.

And then the Attitude Era starts getting big & a friend is willing to tape Raw for me (but only sometimes? I never really understood why he was so reluctant, not like anyone in his house was up at 1am Tuesday. I deffo got pissy about him being weird about it, even loving watched it himself ffs) & by that time I'm 14 or 15 & I was aware of how it wasn't real but didn't care. And around the same time I get access to the internet & for a brief moment I read about ECW & how that's all violent & poo poo & maybe that is real but that is quickly dispelled by someone in a Yahoo Chatroom. So I guess that was the moment I knew for certain even though I'd definitely just accepted that it was fake.

Though in a way as I learned more & more it turned out wrestling was realer than you realise when you're told it's fake: when guys bleed you assume it's some sort of makeup or other practical effect but nope, they just gash open their head with a razor. You assume the mat is somehow like a crashpad so that bumping doesn't hurt but nope, it's wooden planks. And so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU