Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Q7kid posted:

I went to a WWF TV taping with my dad. I believe it was the September 2, 1992 taping in Landover, MD. I was 6 and gushing over the action with little-kid markish excitement. I don't remember what I specifically said to produce his reaction, but my dad chuckled and said, "you know this stuff's fake, right?" I tried to deny it or rationalize how he was wrong at first, but I quickly started to think about things I'd brushed off before--whiffed strikes, dodgy spots--and came to the conclusion over the course of the evening that he must be right.

Ultimately, it didn't kill my love for wrestling, but it did let some of the metaphorical air out of my balloon that evening.

I had the inverse of this. I had pretty much intuited that it was fake and enjoyed it anyway, and my dad hated that I liked it and made me sit down with him to watch that Secrets of Pro-Wrestling Exposed special so he could show me how fake and stupid it was, and upon learning about things like bumping and blading he wound up being shocked into vague respect by how much less fake it was than he thought.

He wound up taking me to a few shows and he had fun, but he never liked the wrestling as much as getting to chant "rear end in a top hat" with thousands of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU