Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Also, my girl is a Golden Retriever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

trickybiscuits posted:

Am I wrong for canceling my order at this coffee shop?

The answer that you are not an rear end in a top hat for canceling your order, get out

Good for her!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
The real reason "you might regret that tattoo when you need to get a job."

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

How do I (49F)tell the man (M53) I am seeing that his home is gross?

quote:

I am seeing a man whose home is less than ideal in the cleanliness department. It is actually very bad. There is food caked on the outside of the microwave, his cookware is so caked with gunk that it is impossible to tell if the pans are no-stick or not, and the final straw was the other night when I sat down on the couch to find a toe nail trimming next to me. I already know that if I say something, I am going to come across like a complete a$$hole, but I don't think I can preemptively post in the AITA thread. How do I tell this man to clean his home?

well firstly, definitely lock that winner down girl

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

I feel like 'found one random nail trimming' and 'pans covered in gunk permafrost' are on slightly different cleanliness levels

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Breetai posted:

I mean, there's a good chance given he's played a game for 50 hours a week for the last couple of weeks that he is a Gamer Boyfriendtm and doesn't actually listen to her/is genuinely uncommunicative/doesn't listen so she's at her wit's end, but the lines

kinda suggest to me that there's also a chance that she can't make a simple request without turning it into a production and coaches extremely simple requests that only warrant a 'hey couldja do this' -> 'sure thing honey' in the most convoluted and exhausting way possible.

Verdict: sentence both of them to a lifetime of each other. *bangs gavel*

This is Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, that's a once every few years special game

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

By the bed? loving why lol?

"Hmm, what time is it?"

"Go back to sleep, baby, I'm just snacking on some peanut butter."

Just loving eating it straight from the jar at four in the morning.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Eating in bed is disgusting and I get all riled up by the freaks who do it :mad:

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

My (F26) boyfriend (M30) turned out to be a religious fanatic and flat earther

quote:

I'm not religious at all, didn't grow up religious and have no interest in all of this. My boyfriend knew that and I knew that his religion is important to him. We accepted each other and it was never a topic between us.

Some weeks ago, we had a conversation about something where he basically admitted to be a flat earther. I wasn't really surprised as he spends quite some time on TikTok and apparently, this whole flat earth bs seems to spread on this platform. I don't know much about TikTok since I don't use it (or any other social media). First I thought he was joking, sadly he wasn't.

He ended up making fun of me and insulting me for believing the earth is round. Saying "you probably learned that in school" and kept making fun of me. I went to google, showed him different pictures, even from a plane. He managed to blame the window in the plane for the curve.... whatever I showed him, he found a reason to make it "invalid". Asked him to fly somewhere with me so he can see it for himself, he also denied that offer. At the end, he said "NASA just made the earth look round somehow". He said I know how to google and should find evidence for a flat earth myself. I ended this conversation then because it was way too stupid and honestly, I was shocked and sad that my boyfriend turned out to be one of those fools.

Now we just had another argument where he exposed himself as absolute fanatic person. He openly denies science and claims that, for example, mental health issues are linked to the devil and being "possessed" rather than some actual medical problem. In this argument, he kept calling me dumb, stupid and that I shouldn't dare to talk about things I "don't know". When I mention doctors and science, he goes "and now you're a doctor and know everything?", acting like I'm a smartass while I just say that there is science and evidence. Whatever I say, it is wrong and I am the stupid, uneducated person. I asked him, why he insults me, he replied "because you insult me by being ignorant" followed by "classic western leftist" and "classic news watcher".

He comes from a very religious family and I feel like he was failed by every single family member. He can only attack me and never prove any evidence for anything he says. But whenever I prove something, it is invalid, fake and I'm just a fool for believing those "lies", I'm deluded, I'm dumb and "westerners are depressed by birth".

I love him, but I don't know how to deal with this. Is that a sign to end this relationship? We have been together for a year now.

TL;DR: Boyfriend denies science, doctors, education, thinks mental health issues are linked to the devil and the earth is flat - insults me for saying otherwise.

What to do, what to do…

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
Get married, get a mortgage, get pregnant. If that doesn't solve it, I don't know what will!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The world's least observant OP:

I (25F) found my boyfriend (25M) on a dating app and he says it was a joke. How do I deal with this?

quote:

My boyfriend of about 2 years and I have been living together for over 7 months now. We met on a dating app. Our 2nd anniversary is coming up and I wanted to put the screenshot of our first ever conversation to a cake and make something funny.

I installed and opened our chat only to see that he has updated his profile with new pictures. The latest from November 2023 from a vacation we took together. He has been traveling since the past three weeks, so I had to call him and ask what was it about.

He says he was out drinking with his friends one weekend when I was away on some family duties, and he created it for a “stupid bet”. It’s not that I don’t trust him, but earlier, just after that week I was away, I also found him sliding into a girl’s DM on Instagram saying something like “hey, we met last week. Remember me?” His excuse was again that it was a bet. I had to stalk that girl’s profile to find that she hasn’t been in the city for months, and let it slide.

The friend who supposedly made him do it also texted him about 6 months ago saying there’s some girl who finds him cute and he wants to set him up with her. He declined as far as I know.

I really do think that my boyfriend can’t be trying to cheat on me because we spend a lot of time together and it’s really hard to talk to someone else or meet them without raising suspicions.

But I feel disrespected and honestly, disgusted. To even imagine that when he’s around his friends, he feels like it’s alright to behave like I don’t exist. I want to break things off but I’m also not sure if I’m overreacting.

Edit: Yep, I see how dumb I can be when I’m in love. He’s an ex-boyfriend now.

"I didn't mean to text her the location of a no-tell motel, it was just a joke that went too far!"

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Shanghaied posted:

Get married, get a mortgage, get pregnant. If that doesn't solve it, I don't know what will!

Maybe putting all assets in his name would help?:ohdear:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Shanghaied posted:

By the bed? loving why lol?

"Hmm, what time is it?"

"Go back to sleep, baby, I'm just snacking on some peanut butter."

Just loving eating it straight from the jar at four in the morning.

I assume she's also sticking the spoon back into the peanut butter after eating some. Just gonna let all that mouth bacteria grow in the uncovered peanut butter.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I looked up that one and wow, the comments. A lot of people are apparently very offended by the idea of 'if you want someone to do a thing, ask them to do the thing' for some reason?

Okay, but the things she's asking for are like "spend time with me" and "be nice to me". Even a Gamer Boyfriend shouldn't need an itemized questlog to grind relationship XP. At some point you have to take some initiative, otherwise you are literally a worse partner than a chatbot.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Man, I loved it when I was dating and people would show all their red flags up front like that. It made it so much easier to make a clean break.

You're just incompatible for a long-term relationship. That's ok. You move on.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

dating a body builder has some downsides ok

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Biplane posted:

Eating in bed is disgusting and I get all riled up by the freaks who do it :mad:

i know a couple who will get 2 queen bed hotel room over a single king so that one partner has a snacking bed.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i know a couple who will get 2 queen bed hotel room over a single king so that one partner has a snacking bed.

Bring back the acid vat for these people

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

:catstare:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i know a couple who will get 2 queen bed hotel room over a single king so that one can be used exclusively for fuckin'

mystes
May 31, 2006

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Didn't know the sequels to Species introduced swinger aliens

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Didn't know I knew any other goons in real life...

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
AITA for refusing to punish my son?

quote:

So me (49M) and my wife (48F) have three kids (20M, 17F, 12F). Now our son is a uni student but is currently at home for the Easter holidays. My son is really into something called “BL”, I didn't really know what it was, he had mentioned it a few times but never went into detail. I still don't really know but found out a bit more a few weeks ago as I went to visit him and we went to a manga store and I said I would buy him one.

The cashier asked for his ID but he forgot to bring it, she correctly assumed I was his dad and explained that the book was 18+, my son looked really embarrassed and quickly told her that he's 20 (he does look younger than he is, often mistaken from anywhere between his actual age and around 14ish), and I nodded in agreement. I didn't really bring it up and just left it at that.

Fast forward to now, he's home and brought a few books back with him, some regular books, and some in the same vein as the one I bought him. His youngest sister loves to read as well, and when she saw the stack of books on his side she went to grab one, he quickly stopped her and told her shes not allowed to read those, She was confused and asked why, and he told her that she's too young, and I thought that was it.

Well, today I came home from work for lunch only to be greeted by my wife yelling at our son, apparently while he was out with some friends, his sister had gone up to his room to look for the books (he had put them away after she tried to read them the first time) and my wife found her reading a section that definitely earned the book its 18+ rating.

She completely blamed our son for even owning books like that and was talking to me about what kind of punishment we should give him. I was taken aback and told her that he did nothing wrong, he's an adult so he can own and read books like that, and he moved the books to a more hidden spot after his sister found them the first time.

This has now caused a massive argument, as she's adamant that our son needs to be punished while I don't think so and have said I will not support any punishment she gives him as it's unfair and he did nothing wrong. My wife is now saying that I don't care about our daughter and that im manipulating her and undermining her authority as his mother, so AITA?

EDIT: my wording seems to have confused a few people, im sorry, this situation concerns my younger (12) daughter, not my 17 year old

The son is reading Boy Love manga, aka yaoi.

I do wonder if the mother's reaction is at least in part from realising that her son is likely gay. Cool dad though.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
From fainting couch to snacking bed.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shanghaied posted:

I do wonder if the mother's reaction is at least in part from realising that her son is likely gay. Cool dad though.
From another comment by the OP, it sounds like the son is pretty openly gay so while that doesn't rule out homophobia it sounds like at least it isn't a situation where the mother didn't even realize he was gay until this happened.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

This is actually a brilliant idea when combined with room service.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

This is actually a brilliant idea when combined with room service.
no it's loving not

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
Man, some of y’all really care about the weirdest poo poo. I can’t imagine getting upset about people eating in their own bed and I really can’t imagine caring about how many beds people get in a hotel room.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Totbot posted:

Man, some of y’all really care about the weirdest poo poo. I can’t imagine getting upset about people eating in their own bed and I really can’t imagine caring about how many beds people get in a hotel room.
People can have 500 beds for all I care, they just can't eat in any of them

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

mystes posted:

no it's loving not

Why not? It’s a hotel room, every surface is already covered in poo poo and jizz.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

mystes posted:

People can feel free to be comfortable and eat in their own bed. Its super weird to make this into some moral high ground.

But I guess getting super weird over benign behavior is a staple of this thread.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

let the filthy degenerates enjoy their bed mounted hog troughs

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

what about rear end

mystes
May 31, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

what about rear end
I don't think you're going to get crumbs or ants from that so I'll allow it

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Totbot posted:

People can feel free to be comfortable and eat in their own bed. Its super weird to make this into some moral high ground.

But I guess getting super weird over benign behavior is a staple of this thread.

My master bedroom was the living room before the original owner did some expansion work, so the trip from my bed to the front door is around six steps. I can't count many times I've ordered Doordash, put on a bathrobe to pick it up, then brought the food back to eat while watching stuff on TV, never even moving more than 15' from the bed. Truly I am a monster. I hope the no-shoes-indoors mafia never find out that if I come home with shoes on, I'll probably wear them until I'm heading into bed. (To eat, of course).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

My master bedroom was the living room before the original owner did some expansion work, so the trip from my bed to the front door is around six steps. I can't count many times I've ordered Doordash, put on a bathrobe to pick it up, then brought the food back to eat while watching stuff on TV, never even moving more than 15' from the bed. Truly I am a monster. I hope the no-shoes-indoors mafia never find out that if I come home with shoes on, I'll probably wear them until I'm heading into bed. (To eat, of course).

Don't eat shoes, you goddamn weirdo

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

Ban this sick filth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I did a thing.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4057726

Thread needed rebooting. I'm only three months late.

Please come and join.