Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Gotta get in on the ground floor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

This is a terrible way to start off the new thread but I found this one so refreshing for the OP considering their situation before getting into it.

Moving into my [26F] boyfriend's [28M] home that belongs to him, how do I make sure I'm protected and safe financially and legally?

quote:

I'm not sure if this is the correct subreddit to post so correct me if I'm wrong but I do need advice on this topic.

My [26F] and my boyfriend [28M] have been dating for a little over a year. However, before we met/started dating, he had already been saving up to buy a house in the future. He and I both currently live at our respective families' homes (we both reside in Arizona) and at around our 11-month mark in our relationship, we started talking about the next steps that included moving in together.

Now, personally, I'm not in a financially secure spot at the moment to buy a house just yet, he told me that while it would be under his name, he still wants me to move in with him. I understand that this would basically be a situation where I'm paying a monthly rent to him. I'm not sure what are the next steps to take about asking the right questions in order to make sure that I am safe and protected when he buys this home and I move in with him. We both have communicated that we are committed to one another and see ourselves building a future together but if in the event we break up, I want to make sure I don't get screwed over financially or what not? I'm not even sure if I'm phrasing this correctly either so if someone has been in a situation similar, how did you go about planning this out?

Anything helps, or if a better subreddit is more applicable, let me know. Thanks!

TL;DR: moving into boyfriend's home he wants to buy that is under his own name. (I'm not financially in a position to buy a home just yet). While he wants me to move in with him, how do I make sure I am protected and won't get screwed over if in the event something bad happens where I'm not legally bound to anything or if in the event we break up?

EDIT: thanks everyone for their thoughts and opinions! nothing is set in stone yet on the move, its all still in the talks. i just made this post so i can prep myself for when we do discuss the logistics since i have little knowledge on this sort of thing. i definitely learned a lot and thats the beauty of reddit. i appreciate all the advice and different perspectives.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Another...classic?

TIFU by demanding that my girlfriend show me where she buried our beans in the woods, causing her to break up with me.

quote:

I admit I posted a version of this on the relationship subreddit the other day, but they closed it with no explanation, I assume because they just decided it was fake. I can see how they might think that, but this is a true thing that happened and is happening, and now there is more to it because I actually got broken up with over it.

With all that is going on, we had stocked up on supplies, including some canned goods. I ordered a few weeks ago 30 cans of beans. 10 are black beans, 10 are kidney beans, and 10 are pink beans. Also, I ordered 15 cans of chickpeas. I thought this is a reasonable amount of beans and chickpeas to have every now and then and would last for quite some time.

However earlier this week I opened the cabinet because I wanted to make a vegetarian chili using two cans of beans, but all of the beans were gone. What the hell?

I asked my girlfriend and she told me she buried all of the beans in the woods.

At first I thought she was joking, but she explained, no, she had buried the beans in the woods. WTF?

I asked her to explain and she told me she was afraid that "if things get bad" we might have to worry about "looters or whatever" and that the beans would be in danger of being stolen. I said I thought this was completely ridiculous and unlikely. She became angry at me and said she "is protecting our beans."

According to her logic, the beans are safely buried in the woods behind our apartment complex, and if we ever need some beans she will go to the "stash" and dig up a can or two, but would prefer if we save them all for "if things get worse".

I said why only bury the beans, why not bury our more valuable items? She said the canned food was most valuable for long-term means, and that since we get fresh food in our online grocery deliveries, it would make sense to continue to stockpile beans. She intends to go bury more beans in the woods every week.

This was too insane for me and I got very upset. I demanded to know where the beans were buried, and she refused to tell me. She said if I knew she was afraid I'd dig them up, I said drat right I would. She said "I will never jeopardize the beans."

The following day I tried to put my foot down, and I'm not usually a foot downer but there are rare issues where compromise is out of the question, and I foolishly decided this was one of those issues. I demanded to know where the beans were buried and I told her if she was going to bury beans I paid for in the woods that I would move out. We fought about it and I kept insisting.

In hindsight I should have just let it go and created my own hidden stash of beans in the apartment, and given her time to maybe cool down about this bean burying scenario, but I blew it all out of proportion. Yeah it's weird to bury beans in the woods but why did I have to press it? What's the harm at the end of the day? In the grand scheme of things? But I kept demanding her to take me to the beans, or at least draw a map or something, and finally she BROKE UP WITH ME. Over the beans. I have lost the love of my life because I couldn't let the drat beans go. I am in disbelief. She moved out. Not only am I heartbroken but I am now paying full rent instead of 50% which is a huge financial issue for me.

TL;DR - I kept demanding that my girlfriend show me where she buried the beans in the woods and she got so angry at me that she ended our relationship and moved out. My heart is shattered and my finances are jeopardized because of a bean hoard.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Maybe we should also have some sort of derail guideline? I generally dislike when conversation gets cut off at the knees, so perhaps requiring content posting along with goony opinions if/when our mercurial IK decides she's had it? That way people can continue arguing while there's a chance a good palate cleanser will be offered up.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

My (29f) parents ghosted me 5 years ago after my wedding and now reached out. What do I do?

quote:

TLDR; I'm married to my former boss. Parents did not take the marriage as well as I'd hoped and ignored me for 5 years, only to reach out when they saw a 5th anniversary facebook post that mentioned our kids. Do I let them back in, or do I ignore them?

My husband (30m) used to be my boss. About 9 years ago I started working as his assistant. We spent about 2.5 years ignoring our mutual attraction until we gave in. We then went to HR, who reassigned me, and the whole thing was strictly above board from the time we began dating. I got pregnant about a year later, and my husband and I decided to just get married. While we'd only really been dating for about 1.5 years, we knew each other completely, loved each other, lived together, and there was a baby on the way. We knew how it would look, but I had to leave the company anyway due to problems with my new boss, so we didn't anticipate this causing any issues, except with my parents.

They (62m/57f) have always been overprotective, so I knew they wouldn't like me dating my boss, and hadn't told them, but I had to tell them if I wanted them at my wedding. We decided to be mostly honest with them, about how it was strictly professional until it wasn't, how the second it got unprofessional we went to HR, how he had never taken advantage of me, but now we wanted to get married and we wanted them there. We did not mention the baby, because I felt that giving them that information in addition to the rest all at once would just break them. I was only about 4 months along when the wedding happened, so the bump was easily hidden by a flowy dress.

The wedding itself went off without a hitch, and apart from my mother pulling me into the bathroom shortly before the ceremony to ask if I was sure about this, which I said I was, my parents seemed to take it well. The ceremony and reception were at 2 different venues, and we had to travel from one to the other, and my parents never arrived at the reception. I called them and got ignored, and then my brother called them and they told him that they were going home. I don't remember the exact reason they gave but it amounted to them being tired and uncomfortable. I tried contacting them after the wedding, but found that I was blocked on everything except email, which I used to send them a long letter essentially saying that I'm an adult who made an adult choice and I hope they can respect that.

5 years later, I have not heard from my parents since my wedding. My husband and I are not big on social media in general but I recently posted something for our 5th anniversary in which I mentioned our 2 kids and third on the way. Within a month of making this post, my parents left a voicemail saying they saw the post, and, having had no idea that they had grandchildren previously, now want to meet them. I haven't responded and there have been a few follow ups since then asking why I haven't.

I don't know what to do, but my gut instinct is that 5 years is too long, and it's about the kids, not about them respecting my choices or relationship. However, I can't help but feel that I'm being unfair, and my brother agrees, because I told them in my email that if they could learn to respect my choice and my marriage eventually, then we could talk, and now I'm retroactively applying a time limit.

Should I reach out to them? If I did, how would we go about rebuilding the relationship?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Zurtilik posted:

Roommate poisoned my betta fish

Looool, OP has a death wish. Next time, the roommate is going to pour bleach in your coffee.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

What are you talking about? You can never undo a bad dye job or haircut.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Barudak posted:

Cockblox'd.

This is gold right here.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

How hard do you have to be gripping a child's neck to leave bruises? The OP should be ghosting her mom, not the other way around.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Nerd girl's friends are all trash that need to be thrown into the garbage. Bad hygiene, always borrowing money, hanging out with underage kids. OP is broke brained from being bullied as a kid and is now hyper focused on being perceived as normal. ESH, except maybe the girlfriend who needs to learn that there are people who share her interests without being vile human beings.

Side note: some goons need to take a good hard look at their lives if they're knee-jerk rushing to defend a bunch of disgusting slobs just because they like thing.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

cumshitter posted:

In the comments denture OP admits the husband wanted to be able to bite through chair legs and that he had previously worked as a carnival geek.

I’d be pretty disappointed too if those were my expectations.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I would have said the gimmick would get old 5 minutes into playing, but OP will make sure the laughs never stop.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Funktastic posted:

after an employee died, her team has driven off anyone we hire to replace her

Redistribute all of Jane's responsibilities to the rest of the team. Without added compensation. They'll change their tune about a replacement real quick.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Dongsturm posted:

I have no idea what is going on here, but I'm going to guess that anyone who holds onto a grudge for 10+ years is probably the real psycho.

If the addict is the golden child and the older sister was told to just suck it up for most of her life, that kind of problem only festers.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Another classic.

My [28F] boyfriend [29M] of two years will not stop speaking in a fake Italian-American accent and keeps making up foreign words

quote:

throwaway because he uses reddit and also because this is kind of embarrassing?

tl;dr - my boyfriend won't stop speaking in a stupid "tough guy" italian american accent and is starting to make up fake italian-sounding words. i'm really annoyed / worried if this might be a red flag

Okay to preface this, I love my boyfriend and he is a super sweet, nice, smart guy that I feel lucky to have but his behavior lately is freaking me out and makes me worried for the future.

My boyfriend loves movies, especially mob movies. He has all of the Sopranos DVDs at his place and I'm pretty sure he still watches them that way. That's fine, obviously you can watch and enjoy whatever you want. But last week he saw "The Irishman" with some friends and since then he will NOT stop talking in like a fake stereotypical mobster accent. We were in an uber the night after going out to dinner and admittedly the driver was going a little fast but my boyfriend kept muttering things like "Who's this loving guy, huh? Dale Earnhardt Jr over here" and shouting "HO!" as we took corners. He would NOT shut up and even gave the driver a one-star review saying it was about "respect."

Everyone has their quirks, I get it, and they can be what makes someone special. At first it was even kind of cute / funny but I just can't really understand this shift all of a sudden. It's been a week and he continues to make asides in this voice and when he gets drunk he speaks in made up Italian. Like we were having desert at my sister's and he came up to me and said "Hey, ma, I gotta get home and hit the drippini." I'm the DD (I don't drink) so I asked him why he wants to leave and what a drippini is ??? His response was "Ya know, like a shower." Drippini is NOT a word! In ANY language! He also never called me "ma" before ever and now he does it almost all the time. I feel crazy, like is this going to be a permanent feature of his personality now?

I know this sounds incredibly stupid compared to some of other serious issues on here but I am just really nervous about what this means about his personality / mental health. He really is a sweet loving guy with a wonderful family and we have a lot in common but just like, I don't even know how to begin to approach this. I want to tell him off and be like why do you keep doing this voice can you please stop. We don't live together so thankfully it's not a constant thing but like, what if we did and it was?? Is this the kind of thing you just deal with when its someone you love?

EDIT: I just want to add that he's NOT italian at all either so im also worried people will get offended when we're out or something

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

The woman was so far up her own rear end that she never bothered to talk to her partner about the elephant in the room. For 18 years. She convinced herself she’d eaten her cake kept it too. That’s on her. The dude kept a stable home environment for his child and his partner was pretty happy by her own admission too. I’m not seeing a problem.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Don't people want at least one goofy photo from the wedding? The whole bridal party could have had one shot where everyone wore sunglasses and then people would chuckle at the memory years later.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Dewgy posted:

Sorry to hear you have disrespect problems grandpa. :v:

Care to share with the thread why you constantly make others wait on you? I don't personally buy the depression theory but I'm open to being persuaded.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I suppose it would be extremely unhygienic to dump a cup full of menstrual blood on all these weenie men. Oh well.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

My boyfriend spits on me and treats me like a slave. Leave him?! How dare you!

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

That man totally deserves to be kinkshamed. Also, who the gently caress doesn't make a new email account for business?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Seems kind of weird that they went to a restaurant that specifically offered kobe beef and not once did either of them discuss getting it beforehand. Also agree that it's dick to set a price point on what your friend can get then double/triple it for yourself. But of course communication is verboten.

Dazerbeams fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 27, 2021

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

What's the hobby you jackass?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Winter Stormer posted:

Dude is clearly the one rear end in a top hat in this story, but also I think it's kind of weird to go topless around your seven-year-old

My [30s F] with my parents [60s M/F], they have been intrusive and problematic since I had my baby [0,F]

This will end in estrangement

Lol, this will end in divorce because OP can't seem to figure out how to say no to her parents.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

She misses his meat.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

the holy poopacy posted:

feels like a no brainer tbh. kids taste like garbage and they're so much work for the little bit of meat on the bone, frankly I don't know how witches manage.

You sure about that? Lamb, veal, and suckling pig are all delicious. How much different could a baby be?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

When women cutely portray themselves as disney villains, but are dead serious.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

If most of the night was romantic and clearly showed that effort had been put in, a bit of light humor at the end isn't anything to get upset over.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Okay it’s not the host’s responsibility to provide coffee since he doesn’t drink it. But who the hell doesn’t have a single mug? No hot drinks ever???

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I feel like OP would have seen a tea cup and acknowledged the ability to drink coffee out of it.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for not having a traditional wedding even though my fiance wants one?

Wow, I see a long marriage here.

Obligatory request of the story where the woman was expected to allow all the male members of her fiancé’s family to inspect her hymen before the wedding.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

There’s a risk of water exploding in your face if it’s been microwaved. But I’m not sure how likely that is.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

ad090 posted:

AITA For not agreeing on what my fiance wants to do on our wedding day?

"It isn't about you!" he screams about an event he wants them to do together immediately after getting married.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I wouldn’t put anything past a guy gross enough to tack up used panties! with notes! to his wall. Good on this woman’s instincts to GTFO.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

If you don't love your cat enough to notice it's been swapped, it's better off somewhere else. If you don't love your lady enough to let her buzz herself, she's better off with someone else.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Another relationship ruined because of a birthday party.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I had a wire retainer that fell out when I was a kid, and never got it replaced or properly removed, so I've still got a bit of permanent glue on the back of my canines. I don't think anyone knows this about me, despite it not being anything secret or personal, because it has never come up in conversation and I don't know why anyone would need to be told.

Except you guys. You are the only ones to know this.

Sounds like you need to find someone in your life who knows how to really give a kiss.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

As bad as that is, I'm hung up on the very first part. Who the gently caress would let someone poo poo on their spouse's appearance for 15 minutes? I can't fathom carrying on any conversation with someone like that. At best I'd give them the benefit of a sudden onset of foot-in-mouth disease, but if they actually persisted that'd be a "this conversation is over, leave immediately and lose my phone number on the way out".

Someone who agrees with what's being said.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

You can never go wrong with an orange soda.

I wonder how the twins-double-incubation-time guy would react if he found out that twins are typically born sooner than 9 months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for telling my fiancé I won’t attend his brother’s wedding not even 3 months before ours ?

Weddings should be banned. You can get married, but you can't have a wedding. So there.

Just lol at being forewarned that there's going to be another wedding in the family in the near future and you do absolutely nothing to find out when the date might be. But there's a decent chance most of the family won't make it to a destination wedding and they'll all go to the 2nd wedding instead. Drama to last for generations.