Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
i clicked on this thread to be like "haha gently caress yeah this movie rules" but

Pimpcasso posted:

I have watched the thing at least eight times a year since 1995

goddrat man that is dedication, respect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet ITT, but here is a wonderfully chilling fanfiction written from the creature's perspective.

That last line sends shivers down my spine every time.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

The Last Call posted:

It can't match the first of course but I don't think it's terrible.

Agreed. The CG effects are pretty bad but some of the body horror of the original is still there. If you're a turbofan of the original, it's worth a watch and its' not going to 'ruin' anything for you. I also liked seeing what happened to the SwedesNorwegians.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
"I just want to get up to my shack and get drunk" is a phrase I have been living my life by for many years

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

ChickenHeart posted:

So like, how virulent is the Thing? Would getting some Thing-fluids in your mouth and eyes be enough to assimilate you? I imagine the human immune system has to have some defense otherwise the film could have just ended with everyone getting coughed on by Norris/Palmer.

I wonder the same thing every time I watch the film. Thundercracker is definitely right that it's intentionally kept vague, but realistically most of the interactions you see are in biological "oh yeah he's hosed" territory. The one that always gets me is Windows during the blood test scene, because aside from having his head chomped, he's definitely not dead when the thing starts to take over his body right before Mac torches him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Theory: none of them are actually the Thing, and all the mutations seen onscreen are Mac's hallucinations from alcohol withdrawal.