Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Lola Reyes the Mortal

Hmmm...what do I want to wear to the Halloween party? Maybe...be Catwoman? Nah, everyone's going to be a superhero. Good ol' fashion zombie? Ehhh they're not as popular as they used to be.

I should wear something that would impress Serina. Or, maybe I can coordinate something with her? After, y'know, asking her out to the party?

As I stare at Serina dreamily thinking of the possibilities to solve my conundrum, I see Sam Whatshisface going up to her to chat. It's no secret that he's into her, and I can distinctly hear the words "go" and "party" and "with me" come out of his mouth.

BULLSHIT that's going to happen on my watch.

Without so much as a plan or thought I get out of my chair and rush over and sharply stand right next to Sam, nearly elbowing him out of the way.

"Hi Serina!" I say cheerfully, fighting through my nerves and the blush I'm sure is growing on my face to flash her a smile. "Hey um y'know I was trying to figure out what to wear for a halloween costume and figured since you've been here for so long and y'know you have a great sense of style and you're pretty and I'm kinda new at this uh maybe you can help me find a costume?"

I then bite my bottom lip coyly, a half rear end attempt to appear cute and seductive and to keep my mouth for rambling any further.

quote:

turn on Serina
# 8
Details:[2d6+2 # (4 2)]

quote:

Name: Lola Reyes
Skin: Mortal
Look: Awkward, Doe Eyes
Origin: New Kid In Town

Stats
Hot: 2
Cold: -1
Volatile: 1
Dark: -1

Moves

True Love
You always have exactly one Lover. The first is chosen during your Backstory. If you ever fall in love with someone else instead, give them a String and they become your new Lover. You always carry 1 forward to earning your Lover’s heart or fancy.

Sympathy is My Weapon
Every time you forgive someone for hurting you, and excuse their base nature, gain a String on them.

Excuses Are My Armour
When you ignore some blatant problem with your Lover or how they treat you, mark experience.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, it awakens something sinister within. The next time you take your eyes off them, they become their Darkest Self.

Darkest Self
Nobody understands you. Nobody even tries. You do so much for the people you love, and they walk all over you. Enough is enough! Betray them. Show them what its like to be uncared for. Reveal their monstrosity and yours. Only seeing the pain that you’re causing your Lover will let you escape your Darkest Self.

Backstory
Declare your backstory last.

Choose one person to be your Lover. Give them three Strings on you. Take one String on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Lola Reyes the Mortal
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile 1 | Dark -1 |
Harm 0 | Exp 0 | Conditions: None | Location: Homeroom

I could feel the redness on my face spreading even further as I look back and forth between Serina and Sam. My plan was to stop Sam from asking out Serina to the party so I can ask her out instead, and now Serina's asking me to ask Sam out and granted he is kind of cute but that really wasn't what I had in mind and oh god what do I do?!

"I...uh..."

Okay okay, I'm just going with him to the party. It doesn't mean anything. God knows he needs the confidence boost (and maybe I do too). Besides, I'm seeing Serina later about my costume so I can totally change her mind about this or I can think of another way around it...

"S-sure! Let's give Sam here a chance!"

quote:

Promising to be Sam's date for the party.

I give Sam a playful nudge with my elbow. Admittedly, committing to the idea takes some of the anxiety off. I flash a semi-forced smile at him and give him a wink. He is cute...I'm sure he feels the same way about me, right?

quote:

turn on Sam
# 5
Details:[2d6+2 # (2 1)]

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Lola Reyes the Mortal
Harm 0 | Exp 1 | Conditions: None | Location: Homeroom

quote:

+1 Exp for failing previous roll

Ow.

Well...I mean...I only showed any interest because Serina asked me too. I was just doing it for her. So really it's his loss if he doesn't want to go on a date with me and blow his chance to go out with Serina.

Whatever. I tried. gently caress him.

I felt a sudden coldness build up inside of me, barely aware that I was clenching my fists. "Oh wow. Okay, that's cool. Y'know I only said that because of Serina right? I guess you'll just have to go to the party on your own, Sam." At that I lean over and put my hands on Serina's desk, further nudging Sam to the side and basically cutting him off.

My initial shyness with Serina seemed to have dissipated entirely with my anger towards Sam. "ANYWAY...maybe when we go pick out a costume for me we can try to match with one another. Y'know...as a couple? Going to the party together?"

quote:

shut down Sam
# 9
Details:[2d6-1 # (6 4)]

+1 forward trying to earn Serina's fancy turns that to a 10

Sam loses a string on me

quote:

gently caress you Sam.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Lola Reyes the Mortal

We'll see...

Sounds a little noncommittal. Not quite a no. Not quite a yes, either. And no sooner did Serina say that she started looking around the room, her attention diverted elsewhere.

I mean I'm not an idiot. I get the hint and stand back up and head back to my desk. "Yeah...um...I guess I'll see you after class."

My butt barely slid into the chair when she calls out to Jake and started asking questions about vampires. Like...really?! Why? Why stop paying attention to me and give it to that giant dork? Did I do something wrong?

Some old familiar feelings start to rise from the pit of my stomach. My eyes start to itch and get watery. I feel myself needing to shut down again. I fish out my earbuds from my phone and put them in.

I close my eyes and blindly hit play on some random song on my phone, losing myself into the music and isolating myself from the world if only for a short while.

I think about the car wreck, where Serina was helpless and desperate. I think about Serina now, in class, pairing me up with Sam Whatever like it was a game. She was no longer vulnerable like before. God, I saved her life...that should make me more important to her, right?

Gaze Into the Abyss posted:

I don't think Serina is taking me seriously...what will it take for her to focus on me and me only?

quote:

Gaze into the abyss
# 10
Details:[2d6-1 # (6 5)]

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Lola Reyes the Mortal

Cause I'm not going anywhere...

As the last words from the song play out I open my eyes and look over to see a bashful Jake bumbling his way through a conversation with Serina, who appears to be listening with interest.

Feigned interest, I'm sure. Likely before she starts manipulating Jake into seeing someone else. It's how she keeps people at a distance and from getting too close, y'know? Anyone who shows any interest in her she tricks them into pairing off with someone else, like she tried to do with me and Sam. Like we're toys she acts like doesn't want but really wants instead.

It's all because of the car accident, I think. She has PTSD or whatever and she's antisocial because of it and this is how she deals with it.

So how do I get her invested in me? Approaching her directly saw some moderate success, but then she immediately tried to hook me up with Sam (gently caress him still, btw).

Maybe I just need to relate to her more...maybe I just need to do the same thing she's doing so she knows I'm not some toy for her to play with...

I take the earbuds out, and then pull out my phone from my pocket and start swiping randomly through it, pretending it's what I'm concentrating on. But I'm really keeping my ears out for what Jake and Serina are talking about...

quote:

Excuses Are My Armour

Ignoring Serina is manipulating me for the sake of manipulating me, marking +1 Exp.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Lola Reyes the Mortal

I listen to the conversation drift from vampires to werewolves, and watch Jake fish out a surprisingly lifelike (and admittedly a little scary) snarling wolf head mask. The pieces fall into place: they are talking about costumes for the party, and Serina is undoubtedly going to try to hook Jake up with someone.

But not if I get to him first.

"Oh wow that's a badass mask, Jake!" I call out, loudly shuffling my desk an inch or two closer in their direction to show my interest. I give him the best feigned sincere excitement look on my face that I can. "Can I see? I bet you worked really hard on it."

quote:

turn on Jake
# 7
Details:[2d6+2 # (1 4)]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Lola Reyes the Mortal

"Oh absolutely! A second set of hands always helps. Especially since I expect...'elaborate' choices for costumes from Serina." I flash Serina a teasing smile before turning back to Jake. "I'll drive you over to her place after class."

Have to admit, the prospect of being alone in the car with Jake is far far FAR from appealing to me. But if I can get him wrapped around my finger before she does...