Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Shankar "Shan" Estrada, the Infernal

Well, it's finally happening.
Prometheus is doing their Halloween thing, and since apparently everyone turned into ten-years old when I wasn't looking, everyone is losing their minds about it. Including the Baron, whose hints about getting in touch with them have grown less subtle recently. So, it's time to pretend I am making an effort to reach out to these assholes, and I guess I'll do that by slapping together a together, eating their food, drinking their alcohol, and possibly clogging up a toilet or two. Inevitably, I'll end up with some business cards in my pockets, and I'll hand them off to the Baron and he can decide where to go from there. I wash my hands of the whole affair.

I'm just about to stand up and saunter over to the cute goth chick who's sketching something ("is that me? why Eve, this looks great, you're such a great artist...") when out of nowhere comes Luke, getting way into my personal space, asking me to cover his rear end now that he's dealing with David.

Jesus, buddy. How bad do you possibly have it? Is my tongue game that good?

But okay, sure, I'll play ball. Dave's a prick anyway and I wouldn't wish him on my worst enemy.

"Yeah, for sure, man! We're still in the brainstorming phase right now, we have plenty of ideas but not all of them are practical. It's easy to come up with cool, impressive costume ideas, not as easy to come up with one that's both impressive AND within our budget, you know?" I make my best 'what can you do' expression, while rubbing my thumb against index and middle finger, in the universal gesture to indicate money.

You can recognize a true bullshitter 'cause he's never caught completely off guard.

quote:

Name: Shankar "Shan" Estrada, the Infernal
Look: Venomous, empty eyes
Origin: Lackey

Stats

Hot: 1
Cold: -1
Volatile: -1
Dark: 2

Harm: 0/4

Experience: 0/5

Moves:

Soul Debt

You owe a debt to a Dark Power. Name it, and choose two Bargains it has made with you. The Dark Power can gain Strings. If ever it has 5 Strings on you, trigger your Darkest Self.

Dark Recruiter
When you bring an innocent soul to the Dark Power, mark experience.

Bargains:

The Power Flows Through You
You can give the Dark Power a String in order to add 2 to your next roll.

Elsewise Power

You can give the Dark Power a String to use a move you don’t have, just this once. This move can come from any Skin.

Backstory

You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the Dark Power and the other characters.

Someone thinks they can save you. Gain a String on them.

Darkest Self
You find yourself shivering, needy, and alone. The Dark Power will make some daunting, open-ended demands. Every demand fulfilled brings you closer to feeling whole again, and removes one of the Dark Power’s Strings on you. You escape your Darkest Self when the Dark Power is out of Strings, or you make a bargain with an even more dangerous entity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hot: 1 | Cold: -1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: 2
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5

Well, that's done.
So is my plan to just pick out a cheap skeleton costume to make an easy dig at the Baron's expenses, but hey, so it goes.

I catch from the corner of my eye that Eve is looking on with interest. Oh, you like a bit of drama, eh? Well, let's see if we can whip something up for you. Maybe with some audience participation, while we're at it.

I turn towards Luke and give him my best friendly smile; I throw in a wink for good measure. "No worries, buddy, I'm sure we can think of something. Speaking of... Eve, got a minute?" I make my way towards her, gesturing for Luke to follow me. It occurs to me that what I just did could be misconstrued as me leading him on. Hm. Let's hope he doesn't read too much into that.
"You're a bit of an artist, aren't you? Think you could help us design a couple of good themed costumes that we can whip out for the party?"

quote:

Turn on Luke
# 9
Details:[2d6+1 (3 5)]

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 26, 2021

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I place both hands on my chest, as if her words wounded my heart deeply, and put on an expression of mock offense. "Eve! Words hurt, you know! Are you calling me and/or my dear friend Luke here an horse's rear end?"

Then I punch her playfully on the shoulder. There, played it off nice and easy, to show her I'm not mad about the implication and lower he guard a bit. Now, we go in for the kill and see if we can't butter her up a bit. Just so whatever it is that she calls in the favor, it's nothing too serious.
I lean over her, pretending to be very interested in her sketchbook and get in her personal bubble juuust enough to make her aware of my closeness.

"C'mon, you know I'm good for it. Show me what you got."
Yeah, that's the stuff, just like that. Smooth as, uh. A poirpose, I guess? Are porpoises smooth? You know what, we'll workshop that one later.

quote:

Turning on Eve:
# 12
Details:[2d6+1 (6 5)]

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I nod as I see the costume idea take form on paper. Man, this is looking kinda sweet, actually. Getting roped into this might end up not being that bad after all.

I signal to Luke to come check them out, and point them out to him. Meanwhile I whisper, low enough that only he can hear. "Catch that? Jake's planning on going as Frankenstein too... or rather as Frankenstein's monster." I roll my eyes theatrically at the pedantry. But I don't push it further than that. Let's see what he thinks we should do about it. I don't want to be the one who suggests doing something untoward.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 27, 2021

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Oh, don't get me wrong, the temptation to dunk on Jake is there and is strong. Buuut... nah. I don't think Luke would appreciate it, and I guess I started caring about his opinion somewhere along the line. Also, I made plenty of headway with Eve myself, if you haven't noticed.

I give Luke a playful punch on the shoulder. "Ah, alright! You twisted my arm, but sure, you can be the cackling genius while I play the shambling abomination. Don't say I never did anything for you!" I wink and pull out my tongue, acting all joke-y, but I think I did make it clear that, yes, I am doing you a favor here.

Good. It's important that we keep it in mind.
He keeps it in mind. I know already, of course.

"And don't worry, I'm not goingt to half-rear end it. I have some ideas for the materials already."
I don't, but he doesn't need to know that.

Well, no getting out of it after I made such a big deal of it, guess I'm looking for a good costume after school. I've made my play, time to see how the game continues.